Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #46  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Two unplanned snacks today. Came home and said "OK, back to the Plan" and, just that easily, pulled out of a Potential Tailspin. Ate the planned salad for dinner and am done for the day. Weighed in this morning 2 pounds down.

I had to pull over to the side of the road yesterday to cry after hearing a song that reminded me of my dog Finn.

I always think of this line from a poem by Pablo Neruda:

"Love is so short, and the forgetting is so long."

Yep. Ouch.

spanky
Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #47  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today's been a good food day. We had overnight guests, so last night I made a breakfast casserole and we had that for breakfast (and I'll have leftovers tomorrow morning), fresh fruit, orange juice--nobody (including me) had toast, although I had it out.

I was ready to have my peanut butter & jelly sandwich when DH wanted to go to Home Depot. So, off we went. We out for dinner, but picked a place where there were low-cal/low-oil options, so that worked out well. DH took the other tactic--he ordered a meal twice as big as he could eat and immediately boxed half of it up for dinner. This is good--he can have his leftover steak for dinner tomorrow and I will have my PB&J that I've been craving.

I'm 2 days into the squat/abs/plank challenge, and 1 day into the Dumbbell Challenge. It feels good to be moving at least a little. I am not totally sure the podiatrist would approve, but I am keeping my post-op boot on!

I've got next week's meals planned out--I'd fallen down on that. I have tomorrow's food all entered into MFP. Lots of credit for that.

I became more aware of the speed of my eating and started paying attention and slowing down more--I think I had started creeping the speedometer up and not realizing it. So, I eased off on the fork speed and I think that's a good thing for me.

spanky: Credit for getting back on plan so fast--mistakes happen. Recovery is the answer!

BillBE: Credit for reading The Death of Ivan Illych. I've totally pushed that book out of my brain. Air is useful, at any rate.

Quiet day on the Beck list today!

Take care all.

Last edited by bethFromDayton; 05-05-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #48  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile okay day

Today was an okay day food-wise. Progress with resisting extras, but still much room for improvement. Saturday night, I took my daughter and niece to Dairy Queen for dessert and did not order a thing for myself! CREDIT!!! Spent much of the day today (Sunday) planting flowers at our lake house.

Sorry, but that's all I have energy to write tonight. CREDIT for checking in!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #49  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Height: 5'9"

Hello Coaches,
Another sunny day here..so fun! I got tons done today including making minestrone soup for my lunches this week and pulled pork to freeze some and eat for dinner a couple of times this week.

I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and, of course, now would love to get a juicer! I can't do that right now but will think about that as a weight loss incentive.

Credits today for: reading cards, sitting while eating, eating planned food, doing unplanned exercise whenever possible and drank loads of water.

Have a wonderful week everyone..
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - National Nurses Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another splendid day to be outside. We joined a group of plant lovers to climb a small mountain in Western Mass to see what's growing, while I looked up to see what was flying about. It's a perfect combo: lots of exercise walking up and down with incline; no time to think about needing extra snacks. DW commented that the granola bars we packed tasted a tad stale. That reminded me that they sit in the pantry for months being ignored by me even when my mind is prowling because I'm 'hungry.' I think of all packaged food as inert, so don't have a notion that it needs to be eaten in a timely manner, LOL. Year old granola bars are stale. CREDIT moi for a good day.

Got home tired and late, so it was a short walk to our favorite fast Thai food place for dinner. CREDIT moi for a good choice and for bringing our own plastic containers so that we were both prepared to eat half our meals and bring the other half home for a later meal to be savored.

spanky - Ouch indeed for the unexpected memory of Finn. Thanks for the poignant line about remembering. Congrats for those two pounds down and Big Kudos for immediately recognizing that extra snacks can lead to a "Potential Tailspin" so getting right back on track.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for moving, while keeping my fingers crossed that your foot is happy being pushed. Kudos for eating well with house guests - it's easy for me to think that rational eating is trumped by the desire to be a gracious host.

IBelieveInMe2 – Planting is good exercise - Kudos. And Queen sized Kudos for ordering nothing at Dairy Queen.

Rosebud170 – Honking Kudos for pulling pork and not doing the standard: one for me, one for the bowl. Before my journey, I would eat a ton doing something like that. Drooling over the thought of a fridge full of fresh minestrone soup for the week.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

what are you thinking?
You might still be having sabotaging thoughts about creating or reading your Advantages Response Card. If so, these responses may help.

. . .
Sabotaging Thought: I don't feel like going to the trouble of getting index cards and writing down advantages right now. I'll do it later.
Helpful Response: To lose weight, I'm going to have to train myself to do what I need to do, not what I feel like doing at the moment. If I put off this task, I might end up never doing it.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 61.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #51  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Back after struggling a bit on the weekend. Stayed busy on Saturday, mowed for two hours - major chore and the lawn looked wonderful when done. Tried to rush to beat the rains, which never came other than a few sprinkles. Got some transplanting and weeding done, and more deck planning and dreaming. Somehow decided that since I'd mowed, I could have this ... and that. So rescued it with a lighter dinner, but then yesterday was a bit offcourse as well. Not sure WHY I lost my way a bit. DH and I went out and then decided to do dinner out as well, and we wanted a non-chain, something we'd never tried before. Ended up at chinese (his fave) buffet - which i like because I never know WHAT i like - and it had a great selection of non-fried, non-greasy options, so took mainly chicken and tiny pieces in different flavors. BUT then I got an ice milk cone and it wasn't even deelish. I was mentally beating myself up over it before we even closed our car doors. But then I had to think, I don't want to NEVER treat myself, even if it's the wrong treat ... what is most important lesson for me to grasp with Becks is that I can stray a bit but come back and keep on chugging. Years ago with WW I certainly built in indulgences and strayed from my plan, and lost weight and kept it off for 12-13 years. Now I'm almost panicky about straying, which then makes me feel less in control - as if I don't believe in myself and my ability to make wise choices the following meal, day, whatever the case is. Bottom line was I didn't fill my plate on the first go-thru on the buffet, chose to try a few new things (bonus for me since I'm not gung ho on that at times) and didn't have a second plate. So a credit for that

Back to work - and working through the weekend until next weekend, so i tried to really get a lot done the past two days. But not enough relaxin'.

Sorry for the lack of personals here lately! But I didn't want the guilt of that to stop me from posting this week.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Woke up grumpy but I seemed to have worked through it. Gave myself small tasks to accomplish to avoid the blues. Credit. Weeken parties did me in with food but this morning is OP. Weight 1 pound above ticker. Off to DR. today for feet and then I will do a Pilates routine.

bethfromDayton: Thanks for reminding about slowing down while I eat. I have an ARC card that says, "Eating fast has contributed to my weight gain."

Spanky: credit for starting the day over after a slip. That is truly the way of sucess.

Rosebud: I love my juicer. I remember debating the cost. Would I use it enough? It has easily payed for itself with the fruits and veggies that would have gone bad had I not been able to juice and freeze them.

BBE: I had to toss about two pounds of brown rice because it was about three years old. I didn't know rice went bad.

nationalparker: I struggled this weekend also. This morning, I woke up and said "Oh Well" and read my no choice ARC card. Here is to us both having a brand new start.

Last edited by maryann; 05-06-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Smile Vaca week!

Good morning, Becksters!

We were supposed to have cold, drizzly, ucky weather from last Tues through today; and we are totally forgiving the weather(wo)man for getting it wrong. The rain Sat turned into brilliant blue, sunny skies; and that has persisted to the present. Yea!

I didn't do as well planning my weekend as I do my weekdays--but I did better than I have in the recent past. I'm counting it a win & a big credit!

I am going to keep weighing, but I start feeling paranoid when I think about sharing it. It just hovers in a 2-pound range; but my body comp (fat & muscle %) and measurements for the most part go in the right direction. Although this time a couple of the measurements went up, while others went down. (Lost 1/2" off my hips since last week, so I'm definitely reporting that one! ) It reminds me of a potter shaping clay and how it keeps shape-shifting. That's what I feel like my body is doing--a glacially-paced reforming. I feel great, my clothes are fitting better.

Saturday I did my first 5K in a couple years--with a few members of my NoBo group--and managed to run (albeit at a slow pace) the entire distance. Yea! Before the race I saw a friend I hadn't seen since she married and moved to Milwaukee 6 or 7 years ago. Thin, thin lovely woman; and it was so great catching up with her. She had someone take a picture of us, and I felt pretty certain that when that picture was posted on Facebook, I'd look like a manatee next to her. And that was okay--it is what it is. I was so surprised that when it did show up on FB, Steph was, of course, her thin, lovely self. But I didn't look like her fat, older friend. I certainly didn't appear as thin as Steph--nor would I want to--but I looked like a fit, trim, happy person. Yea! And that's who I am.

This morning I started the cycle of starting Day 1 of the Beck workbook again.

BillBE - I had to look up the red knots you mentioned Friday. They are so cute. But then it seems like every bird has its attraction: beautiful or cute or majestic. I loved your statement: ...see what's growing, while I looked up to see what was flying about. What a lovely time with your DW & friends.

Maryann - I'm glad you got some foot therapy and hope that you are soon happily hopping about, pain-free. Wonderful reminder: acting my way into right thinking.

Vegan...rex - I meant to comment days ago on your remark & have been remiss. But I loved how you shared about your mother teaching you to swim into the light. I will think of you & your mom every time I see sunlight on water now.

Beth - Wooohoooo on ONEderland! Great, great, great! Also, major credit for your planning through foot surgery, grief, and company. You would deserve enormous credit/kudos under any circumstances, but particularly for how you've persevered through such adversity--both emotional and logistical.

Getting ready for our trip to Key West--I'm so excited!

Have a wonderful week, everyone!

xo
Liz
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 210/220/140

Height: 5'3

This weekend was definitely a success for me. I work part-time at a non-profit hotel for patients in my city for treatment. This is a fun job, but it involves a lot of challenges to my desires to eat healthy. All guests prepare their own meals on premise, and since I can’t leave from Fri-Sun I have to do the same.

In the past, this has been a once a month HUGE blocker to both following my Beck steps and eating healthfully. I would arrive there and because there were SO MANY TEMPTING OPTIONS of food that other guests had prepared, I would just eat everything in sight. Particularly because I have to sit at a desk for 14+ hours a day and it gets incredibly boring and tedious. This weekend, however, I broke the cycle.

One of my big goals in utilizing Beck and eating more healthfully is to return to a strictly vegan diet. This is very important to me both ethically and spiritually. However my addition to food has a tendency to overcome my moral opinions. I have no problem never eating meat, but dairy (particularly CHEESE) is a huge draw and I struggle with that a lot.

This weekend when I arrived and unpacked my vegan friendly groceries, I saw there was a whole cabinet full of mac and cheese. This has traditionally been a HUGE draw for me because it’s easy and in the past I have been known to eat an entire box in one sitting while there. This weekend I closed the cabinet and I thought of Bill Blue Eyes and said “it’s not about me” to the Mac and Cheese (CREDIT 1!). Then, on Sunday night, someone brough KFC chicken. This has no appeal to me, but they also brought mac and cheese (noticing a pattern!?) and biscuits. Of course, they didn’t finish and left it on the counter for people to eat. It was there for 6 hours and I kept having to walk by it. I didn’t give in to the cravings because it was NOT an option (CREDIT 2)!

There’s also a small fitness center there and I have always said that I would plan to work out during my time there but have never gotten around to it. This weekend I ran on the treadmill according to the Couch to 5k plan that I’ve been doing off and on for as long as I’ve been using Beck off and on. Last time I got to week 4. This time I started again on week 2. It was killer (too long without running) but I got through the whole workout (CREDIT 3!) Ideally I’ll get two more runs in this week.

I think the most useful thing I did a lot of this weekend was reading the Beck blog A LOT (CREDIT 4!). I took away a few key points, like the fact that I don’t think I want to do a super restricted calorie diet. In a video snipet of her she explains her idea of reducing your calories down until you reach a level you are comfortable staying at for a long time. That really resonated with me so I’m going to spend some time this week rethinking my diets. I guess the idea that dieting doesn’t have to mean extreme deprivation is kind of a new thought for me.

I also finally got an understanding of what Response Cards should really look like and I wrote a brand shiny new one: I do not have to give in to my cravings. They will pass. Remember the May 5th KFC incident. I felt so much better because I refused to eat food that is unhealthy for me and not vegan. I have the willpower to say no, I just need to strengthen it like any other muscle. (CREDIT 5!)

I also decided that I don’t need to rush from step to step until I’ve really finished the one I’m on. Therefore I’m sticking at “eating slowly and mindfully” for at least another day to make sure I’ve got it.
Thanks all for being a place I can share all of these when I don’t feel like I have people in my day to day life I feel comfortable discussing it in detail with.

spanky What a beautiful poem about your dog. He sounds like he was an awesome fellow. Also, awesome on getting back after the snacks! I’m drawing inspriration from you for when things get rough and I slip up.

bethfromdayton Good reminder for me on slowing down eating. Also awesome job coping with changes and still staying OP!

IBelieveInMe2 Yay on not ordering at DQ! I had that happen with buying McDonalds for coworkers.

BillBlueEyes You’re definitely making me miss the Northeast a lot with that wonderful story. I’m heading to do something similar out in the swamps down here next weekend, but it won’t be as pretty as home

nationalparker Excellent job in remembering the great parts of your dinner and not just focusing on one decision.

Lizanga Thanks for the kind words I'm very early on in the book too, restarting as well, and it's a fun process. Good to know someone else is starting at the begininng again too!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #55  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

hi gang!!
my god, I had the busiest most fun weekend and didn't get a chance to get on this forum at all.
that's NOT good.
I didn't go horrible but I didn't do terrific either.
I'm disappointed in myself.
anyway, I'm on my way out the door here from work so I gotta make this short and sweet.
I will catch up tomorrow.
miss being here and having my heart in it.

hey veganasaurus . . . email me [at xxx] to discuss email coaching.

Lulu

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-06-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Removed email addr for Security
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #56  
I can do it!!!

Smile So far, so good!

Today has been an OP day so far. Just finished dinner and I will have one planned healthy snack before bed. The scale actually moved DOWN a few pounds the past 2 days. YAY!!! I know it is just information, but I like getting GOOD information, especially when I have been working hard to eat well and stay in control of my food intake. Now, if I can just add in some formal exercise tonight, I'll be set for this day! Taking things ONE day at a time!

BillBlueEyes: Happy to hear that you are finally enjoying some nice weather!

Liz: Hooray for looking and feeling like a "fit, trim, happy person!" THAT is my goal!

veganasaurusrex: Way to go on breaking the cycle of eating "everything in sight!" Huge accomplishment!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #57  
I can do it!!!

Talking Beth!

Beth: I see that your ticker says 199!!! That is so wonderful!!! I am happy that all of your hard work is paying off for you. Welcome to ONEderland!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #58  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

A good day, OP. A hugely busy week at work ahead of me and now a phone call at the end of the day that one of my two last living relatives has died. Waiting to hear what's to be done, whether I need to make a long drive...

Lots of planning to do, and quickly. Onward, and my best vibes to all here.

spanky
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #59  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

I'll try this again . . . lulumac a t verizon dot net . . . try me veganasaurusrex
Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #60  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today has been an OP day. I did Day 3 of the squat/crunch/plank challenge and day 2 of the Dumbbell challenge. I had to skip part of the dumbbell stuff for today (toe raises) in deference to my healing but not healed foot! My foot is healing fine, though, and I'm hoping to be given an all clear two weeks from tomorrow.

I had a lovely PB&J today--with fantastic red raspberry preserves and natural peanut butter. I enjoyed it immensely and savored every bite.

I've got tomorrow's food all planned out and entered into MFP. I'm going to read from Beck before going to bed. It does seem to help me to read daily, even though it's re-reading--I feel as if I ought to have "gotten it" but there's more there to get through to me!

Take care, all!
Closed Thread