Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #31  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

good morning!!
no, I didn’t follow my plan exactly yesterday.
I meant to have one glass of wine on my date last night and I had three . . . OOPS!!
I did get the veggie salad but I had one piece of crusty bread with it and I hadn’t planned on it, better than the whole basket, I guess.
the good news . . . I weighed the same this morning as I did yesterday morning as I did the morning before which was the morning after wrapping up my fast!!
it really is a small miracle that my weight hasn’t gone up at all, just for the mere fact that I was coming off of the fast.
so I’m doing something right, I guess.
I’m grateful to be maintaining, but I know me and I know it won’t go like this forever.
and like Beck says, you have to develop the habits NOW even if you feel like you’ve got everything under control because when the day comes that you don’t, you’ll have the skills.
I’m trying.

my credits yesterday . . . even though I didn’t follow it to the letter, I created a food plan and a daily schedule for the day.
I did my self-care ritual of oil pulling, dry brushing, deep breathing, starting the day with lemon/water, stretches, journaled.
I weighed myself.
I left food on my plate and threw away (not easy for me).
I read Beck book.

by the way, although the gentleman I went out with last night was very nice and we had great conversation and a lot of laughs, I’m not too sure I’m feeling the level of chemistry that I need to go on with it.
like Beck says “oh well”.

going out tonight with my "boyfriend".
I know it seems strange to say I have a boyfriend when I went on a date last night.
but let's just say . . . my doors are never closed.
anyway, we are going to Bertucci's for dinner where I'll get a salad.
just had a salad last night out to dinner, I'll see if I can persuade him to do chinese, as I could go for a veggie/tofu stirfry.
he will likely go with the flow and he usually does.
after dinner we'll go to the club we frequent and listen to live music and dance all night with a club full of our friends.
I'm looking forward to it!!!

tomorrow I have a Cinco de Mayo party to go to, lots of mexican food, most of it I don't eat, thank you God!!!

Sunday I'm going on a Boston Harbor cruise for the afternoon with BF and another couple.
it's called Bacon and Beer cruise.
I don't eat bacon and not much for beer so this should be interesting.
I emailed the caterers of this cruise and asked what would be served that a vegan could eat.
they got back to me and said that they have been hired to create a buffet where every item contains bacon.
oh well . . . I'll throw something in purse that I can eat!!
hopefully they have wine!!!

national
I love bubble baths and it’s a great place to hang out and be sure to be away from food!!!
unless, of course, you bring a sandwich and a glass of wine in with ya, which I’ve been known to do!!!

maryann
down 3 pounds . . . COOL!!!!
“teach me to forgive myself and others” . . . I have found peace in this area by acknowledging that people make bad decisions and do or say bad things, and rather than ridicule them, if only in my head, I just express gratitude for myself that I didn’t make that bad decision or do or say bad things. Everybody is just doing what they do. Keeping your eyes on your own plate is just so much easier for me. And I realize I can’t fix the world.

Beverly
yeah, every day is a new beginning, there’s the key.
“it’s not how far off-track you go, it’s how quickly you get back on”.

Bill
boy, the weather yesterday really took a turn, huh?
at lunch time I went out and it was hot in the sun.
commuting home was brrrrrrrrrr!!!

gardener
WOW, what insight to know that about yourself, that what appealed to you was a bigger lunch, not a different lunch. impressive!!!

Liz
wow, you are crankin’ with the exercise!! I’m envious . . . I want to get committed to exercise too. you may be sore from your workouts, but it’s a good sore . . . right?
your swim class sounds great!! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Slept poorly last night. Bad feet and loads of anxiety over just getting through the day. This comes and goes with me. At times, I lose the ability to put things into perspective. An overdue library book is as critical as a family issue and nothing will ever change. I get overwhelmed and then cry bunches. Credit for having picked a DH who hangs in there with me, always trying to help. Credit for staying OP, canceling a few commitments and trying to take things one step at a time. This too shall pass.

Last edited by maryann; 05-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Happy POETS Day!

Good morning, Becksters!

The rain is here, but at least we're not getting the 18" of snow other places not so far away are shoveling. Some places are re-opening the xc-ski trails. Wow! Happy spring!

I particularly didn't mind rain since it is swim day. (Poor Emma. But even though she's 3/8 lab & has webbed paws, she doesn't like water except to drink. So she probably didn't feel all that badly about not getting a wog, either.) Good swim, great endorphins!

Eating OP. Leaving for lunch in a bit with some former co-workers. I'll have the salad, which is fabulous with chicken, pecans, cranberries, & blue cheese--but a little on the high-calorie side. In planning for the weekend, I have included "cheesecake" as one of my planned foodgroups, so we'll see if I do better OP with some nice indulgence.

BillBE - Kudos on the no extra snacking! The lentil soup & salad w/feta sound divine! I know what you mean about the "social" being high on the list.

Lulu - I can identify with the love of wine & going past the one-glass plan. Sounds like you had a nice time socially even if he wasn't the greatest chemistry ever. And like you've got GREAT times planned for the weekend. I especially loved the sound of dancing all night!

Maryann - Congrats on the -3#! Fantastic! I don't think I'd read about the painful feet before--so sorry to hear. Hope they feel better soon. As for the book--when I've taken writing classes & we did critiques, I think it is a wonderful skill to learn, but I really do not like doing it at all. I don't think I have the temperament to be a fiction editor. (I can do technical documents all day long--well, unless they're authored by a weak writer. So... maybe that has a lot to do with my angst with the current editing.) Do you have plans for future writing projects? I'm sure you're taking some deep, cleansing breaths after just finishing the MFA. But what's on the horizon that we can look forward to hearing about?

Happy weekend, everyone!

xo
Liz
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #34  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Default 5 Crumpled Cards

Friday and still OP. I have 4 [going on 5] somewhat crumpled 3x5 index cards, one for each day this week, that report my daily food intake. They're stacked on my placemat at the breakfast table like a little pile of trophies attesting to the fact I've been OP for 5 whole days (assuming I make it through this evening). The fact I kept them means I didn't just 'misplace' them halfway through the day while I strayed off-plan (!)

No special plans for the weekend, all the right foods in the house. Hoping for a Happy Weigh In on Monday, after the first week of getting more focussed!

Best to all and Happy Friday!

spanks

Last edited by spanky; 05-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #35  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I am still here. I am still reading. I am still working a program. I am contacting my Beck diet buddy every day by email. I am weighing everyday
But...
Between Internet woes and a crazy schedule I am finding it difficult to find the moment to post right now. This morning I had set aside time and could not access the Internet. Now I have bags of wonderful organic veggies which need to be washed and put away...along with numerous other things.
Credit today for not tasting some kind of unusual lemon coated almonds at Costco.... because I knew they had sugar in them and I am not consciously doing sugar right now.
I work at 5:30 tomorrow morning perhaps I'll find some time to say hello this weekend.
Best wishes to everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 05-03-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 210/220/140

Height: 5'3

Today I worked on Day 4 – giving myself credit! I’m going to try and find five things every day to give myself credit for.

I’ve also found the Beck blog – I’ve very much enjoyed reading the posts. They’re giving me inspiration!

I’ve additionally been drinking a lot of water lately. I’ve heard that drinking water is good for weight loss – and anything helps!

My current steps are reading my ARC, eating sitting down and giving myself credit. Today I read my ARC twice (CREDIT 1). I ate all of my meals sitting down (CREDIT 2), but I still grabbed bites of food while I was carrying plates from place to place. I did notice every time I did it and told myself that it wasn’t an option (CREDIT 3). At my weekend job people bring in and prepare large amounts of food. I said NO to everything I saw and ate only the food I brought with me (CREDIT 4). Oh and I posted on the Beck Forum today  (CREDIT 5!)

I am also looking for a Beck buddy who may be looking for a regular email partner. My current email buddies are great but none are versed in Beck so it’s a little harder to communicate about. Ideally I’m looking for an “accountabiliabuddy” who I can email on a regular basis about my successes and struggles and offer the same in return. Please let me know if you’d be interested!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #37  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Happy Friday night!

I'm glad my first week back at work is over. There's plenty to do to catch up with everything that's been waiting for me, though.

My weight isn't going down (or up) (although the few off plan days are enough to explain why I'm still at 200.x). I'm fighting my way towards ONEderland.

Food was OP today and as planned. Credit for that. And credit for accepting that I can't be as low-cal net as I want to be without exercise--and that's okay. I'm still at a losing level. "Oh well" to not being able to walk at work.

We have several house guests coming tomorrow for our friend's memorial celebration of his life. Tomorrow I need to make sure that the beds I'm giving them all have clean linens.

I'm looking forward to an OP day tomorrow--and really looking forward to my breakfast bowl of Puffins! (I realized yesterday that I really want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich--I'll probably get that in there, too, but it has to wait until a grocery store run--if I'm going to have it is has to have the right kind of bread) Credit for recognizing that and planning for it so I can make it fit into my plan.

veganasaurusrex: Credit for giving yourself credit! That can be hard to do--but you did great at it!

Lexxiss: Free samples can be so tempting--and I sometimes find new things to bring home and eat that way--but they are just a way to get unplanned food into us. Credit for withstanding it.

spanky: Credit for the crumpled index cards--that's great. What a visible reminder of how great you're doing this week.

Lizagna: Rain definitely sounds better than 18" of snow. Heck, rain sounds better that 1/2" of snow! I hope you had a great lunch out--the salad sounds yummy (even if I would have substituted for the blue cheese)

maryann: It takes a long time to move past really hard emotional blows. Be gentle with yourself. Staying OP when you find it hard is something to really give yourself credit for.

LuLu: Wine? Date? (and then a BF--if we ever get together for wine, I want to hear that story) Looks like you have a great weekend planned--and with some food plans to make it work.

BillBE: Credit for sharing the image of tulips and daffodils with us! Tootsie rolls are very tempting things--major credit for not giving into the sugar hit.

Beverlyjoy: I hope you're having a wonderful time with your grandkids. Starting each day with a health breakfast makes a lot of sense--getting off to a good start makes it easier to stay on the path.

Take care, all.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - International Migratory Bird Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another day 100% on plan, CREDIT moi. Better yet, I had NO snacks - just my meals - as part of getting my brain back on track. Quite nobly, so that no food is ever wasted, I had my pre-made lunch from the other day. A day old sandwich isn't so joyous, but that's replaced by the soaring good feeling of doing the right thing. Celebrating today the Red-knots who'll soon be arriving at Delaware Bay to eat enough Horseshoe Crab eggs to fuel their journey to the Arctic to nest.

Had to wear a jacket when walking, CREDIT moi, due to the return of chilly. The cool weather has helped the Lilacs at Arnold Arboretum to be at full bloom for Mother's Day - a tradition around here that's been tough to meet since warming weather has caused them to peak two weeks early in recent years. Non-gardening visitors are annoyed when flowering peaks don't arrive on the expected calendar dates. Why can't the flowers just return to Capistrano on time like the Swallows?

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I am so happy that "lemon coated almonds at Costco" don't sound that appealing to me - maybe I could pass on them.

maryann - Beautiful vignette on the reality of a difficult day. Kudos for seeing, "This too shall pass."

spanky - Yay for your "little pile of trophies" - Kudos for staying the course.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yes, design the food you want exactly as it brings on the pleasure - otherwise we try to get that good feeling by eating more and more. The proper bread for a PBJ sandwich is crucial.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – Neat set of credits particularly, "I said NO to everything I saw and ate only the food I brought" - Kudos for them all.

Liz (lizagna) – I love what I'm willing to believe is healthy food when it's combined into a 'salad.' Yours sounds delish. Kudos for the joy in "Good swim, great endorphins!"

Lulu (LuLu01801) – Always ready to pass out Kudos for "left food on my plate and threw away" since I'm still working on that one. LOL at using Beck's CBT, "Oh, Well," for leaving a gentleman on the plate as well.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

Face Reality!
. . . As time goes on, you'll have lots of sabotaging thoughts, but if you've been reading all your Response Cards regularly, you'll be ready to counteract them. The dieters I counsel tell me over and over again that these cards make a big difference for them. The cards prepare them to overcome their sabotaging thoughts, charge their mindset, and do what they have to do to lose weight. It works for them - and it'll work for you, too.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 61.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #39  
Green Tomatoes

The combination of eating out at lunch and adding two slices of bread to supper for no good reason, caused a jump on the scale. I won't be doing that again. My days have not been going according to plan recently, but until yesterday, I was doing okay with that. Today, I want to aim for 100%. But that means, I need to write a plan....Done -- Credit!

WI: +0.9, OP: 70%, Exercise: +30 135/1000 for May
Old 05-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.
Yesterday, pretended that I was feeling capable and hopeful. Got some feet therapy and a Dr. referral, did a few errands, and by the end of the day I did feel hopeful. Credit for acting my way into right thinking.

Huge credit for going to the mall and NOT eating my number 2 rabbit hole food—See's Candy. It gave me pause to think what gave me the strength to say "no" yesterday? Weight at ticker. Food planned. Two parties today. Never easy. One is a Kentucky Derby something. That will be interesting.

Lizagna: I do plan on doing editing in my second career. i will probably retire from teaching in about 7 years.

Lexxiss: Sending computer mojo.

BBE: Weather is the ultimate mystery. This may be the first year Bill has not had to spray the trees because it refuses to rain. Nothing makes me feel more helpless than mother nature.

BethfromDayton: Thanks for the thoughts. Today was better. I just had to slow way down and put first things first. Then things started to be possible again. I hear you about feet frustrations. I want to be able to do what I want. Sometimes I feel I am being punished for wanting to exercise.

gardenerjoy: I aim for 100% today, as well. I was nibbling standing up making dinner.

Last edited by maryann; 05-04-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #41  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Angry another slip-up

I am so mad at myself. Without going into the details, I ate some really bad unplanned foods Friday evening. It was as though I was eating unconsciously and not even trying to hold back. What is my problem?!? I really DO want to lose the weight. Still working to believe again that I CAN. I know it in my head, but not quite in my heart. I am reading a book on getting motivated to lose weight, and it said that weight loss will be a difficult process if you have low self-esteem and a negative body image. I have both. I have been working on my self-esteem for YEARS now, and I finally have a few smidgeons of self-esteem, which is huge for me. It is difficult to not have a negative body image when I look in the mirror and see myself carrying 60+ extra pounds. But they said (and I think I agree) that I need to accept my body as it is now to make the process of losing weight easier (because even as I lose weight, I will still be overweight). I do want to embrace the PROCESS of losing weight and be content with where I am at each stage. That is how I felt a few years ago when I lost 35+ pounds. And it DID make losing the weight easier. Of course, the lower you get (weight-wise), the easier it is to accept and embrace your body at that weight. Anyway, I am putting the slip-up behind me and have eaten well so far today. Plan to get in some exercise, too. We are at the lake, so eating extras is tempting, but I will exercise my resistance muscle at every opportunity.

BillBlueEyes: 100% OP eating and no snacks to get your brain back on the right track is terrific!!! Much CREDIT to you!!! Thank you for your continuous example that weight loss and maintenance are both possible!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #42  
Rosebud170

S/C/G: 311/208/176

Hello Coaches,
I am so excited to have another workout buddy. Dd goes to 2 back to back dance classes with 2 of her friends on Saturdays. One of the friend's moms and I played raquetball today and it kicked our butts (in a good way)..after that, we walked for about 20 minutes, scoping out a trail near the rec place. We plan to do something each Saturday so I am very excited. All that after I had already done water aerobics! I am beat and hope I can get out of bed tomorrow morning! I feel so much better, even though I have so much more to lose, I want to do what my body can do and I am really enjoying it! Eating OP and got over a mini plateau despite having been OP all week...

It is sunny here in the NW this weekend and it is just so awesome...it is supposed to get up to 80 degrees tomorrow. I plan to get stuff done, including wash my car and make minestrone for my lunches this week. Credit moi!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 210/220/140

Height: 5'3

Hi coaches!

Today was a mostly successful day!

I ate everything sitting down, except one stupid noodle. But 99% is great! (CREDIT 1). Today is eating mindfully which I didn't do perfectly but I did better at (CREDIT 2). I'm a big fan of imbibing media with my food so that's a hard habit to break. I continued avoiding all food that wasn't stuff I packed to bring with me (CREDIT 3). I used a lot of spare time today to read up on the Beck blog and other diet resources. Preparing to be ready for week 2, traditionally a really rough time for me. I drank SO MUCH WATER today. I feel like I might float away! (CREDIT 4). Finally, I read my ARC twice. I need to up that tomorrow (CREDIT 5).

Tomorrow's plan is to up my ARC reading and to actually write out some physical response cards to prepare for the week.

Love and strength to you all!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #44  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was the memorial for my friend--which means a buffet. Emotionally, it was tough, and there were lots of tears and lots of stories shared, and it was a healing time.

Foodwise, I managed to make one trip to the buffet, pick a limited number of items, and not go back for seconds. I allowed myself one alcopop and switched to diet soda. Several friends are staying here overnight and we've been up talking--and I left the Rumchata alone.

I started re-reading the "Diet for Life" book--it pointed out that I've been getting away from eating slowly and savoring every bite, so I'm trying to pay more attention to that.

I started the 30 day squat/crunch/plank challenge today--it didn't bother my foot, which is good--today was the first day--pretty easy. I don't think it'll stay that way.

AND (can't believe I almost forgot to mention this since it's big), I have a new mini-goal, because this morning, I reached ONEderland.

Take care, all.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Cinco de Mayo

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Beautiful sunny day, although still chilly. Wasn't a particularly productive day since I remember getting air in a tire on my car as an event, LOL. Cucumbers are back in the supermarket. They had disappeared last week, presumably for the food poisoning scare.

Food was only good enough, CREDIT moi, since the afternoon snack was larger than planned. I did finish reading Tolstoy's The death of Ivan Ilych. It's a reminder that the dying process includes critical evaluation of whether our lives have had meaning. Reading great fiction reminds me not to attempt to become a writer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I hate it when I eat something "for no good reason."

maryann - Two parties in one day is a whopping challenge. I so hope that See's Candy never makes it to the East Coast.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Monster Congrats for reaching your ONEderland goal! May you never see a '2' digit again. Kudos for dealing with food even while dealing with grief and bunches of friends.

IBelieveInMe2 – Great reminder, "I do want to embrace the PROCESS" - it's so easy to get hung up on our dream body. Kudos for keeping your wits despite not being a perfect human being.

Jo (veganasaurusrex) – LOL at "I might float away!" Kudos for all that water and all those credits.

Rosebud170 – Our newspapers made a big deal that one of your local schools declared a holiday because the sun came out. Neat that you have an exercise buddy and a regularly scheduled slot to do it.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5
Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1
Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

what are you thinking?
You might still be having sabotaging thoughts about creating or reading your Advantages Response Card. If so, these responses may help.

Sabotaging Thought: I don't need to remind myself of the reasons to lose weight. I know them.
Helpful Response: I know them - now. But think about all the times I strayed from a diet in the past. I sure wasn't thinking of all the advantages of sticking to it then!

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 61.
Closed Thread