Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Quick check in
Guess What? I have lost 15.2 pounds since early November. DD noticed and commented (unsolicited)on my slightly smaller size this morning. Yesterday was a pretty good day. DH took 2 big boxes of electronic waste and extra cords to Goodwill. WhooHoo for him
Yesterday:
Clean: vacuumed family room, dusted all but bookshelves, swept and damp mopped kitchen and laundry and powder room. cleaned toilet, counter and sink in powder room.
Old clutter: retirement statements left on coffee table for 2 weeks after they were entered on spread sheet shredded.
New clutter: newspapers to recycle bag, clothes washed and folded
Lexxiss-WTG on 100% done. What a great feeling! Were you really posting at 3:51 am? You must get up before the chickens.
TamiHaving a whole floor in the maintenance stage? What an accomplishment! I'm looking forward to the day...

Current clutter: put stuff back in place after using family room to work out to a video. (lame, I know)
Old clutter: Throw away some trash from the phone desk
Clean: dishes/countertop

See ya tomorrow.
Julia

Last edited by Julia150; 02-04-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #182  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 121.7/119.2/80 kg

Height: 170 cm

Hi! Oh gosh, I really need to do this challenge. Here's the deal, pickles. I live in a tiny Japanese apartment that got away from me about halfway through my first year, and it's been crazy trying to wrangle it ever since. It's not good. Not good at all. Some of the trouble comes from the fact I need to toss some big bulky items out--well, I keep putting it off, because I don't want anyone to see the clutter around the bulky items. Plus, I need to call a company to pick them up and each item costs money--so I have to time it right.

So, that's going to be a major goal for me. I'll make it February's goal: Get the bulky items picked up and out from the apartment.

The clutter needs to go. I know one way to do it... "Do I need it immediately? Is it easy to replace?" For stuff like craft/school supplies... "Is this going home with me?" For things I don't want to leave in Japan. "Can I give this to a friend? Will she/he actually want it?"

The other reason I need to tackle the clutter is because of my fridge. It's tiny. It's very difficult to get things sorted out (or will be) to a routine that will work with my diet plan. It's nutritarian. That requires copious amounts of veggies... right now, it's cold enough, I can keep them out on the counter and they're okay. Once Spring comes, so too does the mold. You can't leave ANYTHING out, unless you want to come back in an hour or two and see it start growing hair or turning colors. Ugh!

I may invest in another fridge. The place is tiny... so I cannot have bulky furniture in the way.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #183  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi declutterers!

Welcome Nerdlass! Noting Japan, I'm certain your apt. is very small. Kudos for recognizing that you need to get to basics. We're here to lend an ear and it sounds like you're off to a great start.

Julia, yay for posting two days worth of progress forward! In my opinion, nothing we do is "lame". My 3 minute floor job yesterday DID move me forward. Congrats again on that scale movement.

Tami (helping rachel), I'm interested to hear what you find in your Beck book! Yay for a downstairs that is almost to maintenance stage! (me, too)

Me:

old clutter-hauled the trash, recycle and bag of cat box (stuff) out to the porch while coffee was brewing. Final destination: car for transport to the upper street. Too heavy and bulky for back stairs walking when I'm home alone.

current clutter-picked up 70%

clean-cleaned out my compost container and am hoping to have time to swipe down kitchen cupboards and countertop before heading out to work.

I reflected over my cup of coffee, that it's been exactly one year since I sent DH away so I could sand and finish the hardwood floor downstairs with the final goal of having the new carpet I had dreamed of for years. Now that it's done I marvel everytime I look at it. It would have never become reality except for my commitment to declutter. I'm grateful.

It seems that finishing the company books was the end to that "year". I feel more relaxed and am looking forward to a new goal for 2013.....the first time ever since starting that bookwork in 2003.

In 2013 I will do the books monthly....All I will need to do in Jan. 2014 is run reports. credit.

Gotta get ready for work!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #184  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post all over the map

Hello Decluttering Buddies:

Well I've been busy cleaning up and prettifying/reclaiming a space I don't live in but am (voluntarily) responsible for. I planned, arranged, and participated in the painting of the 15.5' x 20' tea room for the potters' guild I am member of. I am the tea room manager and OMG who knows when that room was painted and the colour in there sucked all the life out of you. I chose the paint colours, bought all the supplies, asked for volunteers (who came through for me) and I started last Wednesday and the painting was completed on Saturday with a 1st stab at putting everything back into palce yesterday. I had some kidn of a delayed reaction to the stress of the whole thing and my mind just went NO CAN DO and I left after just simply getting the tables and chairs back into their spots. The final straw was that the last two tables (there are 7 total), all of which have a layer of glass on top of them, well the corners of the glass kissed ever so gently and a 1" piece just cracked off. OMG. Another chore to do I thought. And that was it. I went home. Prior to this I had alos had a long conversation with OMG so many Big Plans that I want to implement, that I've started to work on. Why the HECK am I DOING all this I ask?!? On "good" days it's effortless but when I am feeling like I can't get myself righted, let alone sailing off into some kind of direction, the thought that all this other work is more organized just drives me nuts.

I am not taking care of myself.

And if I am not taking care of myself then I am sure to fall off that wagon which has been travelling the rut in the road for far too long. I am taking steps to change course but geez louise it's not easy.
Oh well.

DH did do some dishes and with the tea room painted that's one big project done and gone. *credit* My next goal is to remove the boxes from the table under the dining room window so I have a place to set up my seed trays since soon I'll be starting seeds for my community garden plot. I have also started another donations box with 2 items in it so far. *credit*

Thats all folks.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Default only good update yet!

Well, I'm checking in and mostly have read posts of all you awesome people who are doing something to declutter your lives, you are an inspiration!

So, for the first time in a while I managed to clean up and declutter with enthusiasm....still had to take down my Christmas stuff, finally did! Then I sorted a stack of boxes that's been lurking, sorted and took care of most of my random clothes, and took 2 bags and 2 boxes to thrift....all in all, pretty good. Made at least one bag of trash too!

Still have the clothes in my room to do, that can be done tomorrow!! Will look so much better!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #186  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hello declutterers!

NightAngel, kudos for progress with decluttering, especially finding "enthusiasm". For me, participating with others here has fueled that enthusiasm which has been life changing.

onebyone, kudos for completing the tea room project. carrot: I'm sorry about the chipped table...don't be too hard on yourself. It's really ok. Perhaps you could transfer your success at the tea room to an "I can do this" at home (and with your food plan).
As a "recovering volunteer" I can share this. There are infinite opportunites for going out in the universe and accomplishing many things for others, and don't get me wrong, these are all good. What I finally had to do in order to start the process of "learning" to "take care of myself" was to finish the outside commitments I had made to others then start saying NO CHOICE to the new ones in order to free space so learn to take care of me. The difficulty with the outside projects is that because I was responsible to others' my home and food life suffered. Now that I have whittled it down to "basics" (a bit painful) I am able to have more of the 12 step mindset First Things First.
Anyway, you did a great job and I wish I could visualize the finished results a bit better.
I hope you have a more settled day today and can find yourself a little more grounded.

Me, I have success to share today. This morning I really felt the "freedom" of being decluttered, organized and clean. I work today then have 4 days off to go over and hang with DH and the pup. I do think they'll return with me on Sunday eve.
I don't have anything "to do" other than to pack. I am going to put my stuff in the car before work then walk out the door at 330 and head right over. I truly feel today that my daily progress has finally shifted me from dysfunction to functional. I am grateful.

So Todays 1-2-3
old clutter-nothing today
current clutter-entire house picked up laundry is in bed is made
clean-scrubbed my kitchen sink

For me, my daily 1-2-3, forces me to learn to take care of myself on a daily basis.
Thanks for being here everyone!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #187  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hello declutterers!

Sometimes I think I won't post when I'm the only one here but in my journey here it seems it's important for me to keep making that daily plan and this is where I do it. credit.

I traveled yesterday then went grocery shopping as soon as I arrived. Everything got plunked down and we went to bed early. I woke up early...restless...and came out of the bedroom to a big mess...everywhere.
I had some big emotions around this...this used to be my home base and now I just visit. DH may or may not come back with me and I'm already very sad to leave my pup behind since he's sick and we don't really know "how long he has".

I knew I had two choices:
1. leave it all "as is" and live out of a tote for 4 days
2. pick up, put away and enjoy my time here.

I chose #2 and put everything away...cleaned out the fridge then went back to bed. When I re-woke it all felt alot better....even knowing I'll have to leave soon.

I'm going to ENJOY some old clutter today. When I was on the other side I noticed some missing knitting needles....circular not cheap. In the old days I'd just go buy more. Instead, I decided I'd relocate them. As suspected, they are on some unfinished hats in a container from ??4 years ago. I could rip them off or finish the hats. Today I'll finish the hats and my pup can snuggle with me on the couch. Yay!

so:
old clutter-finish hats
current clutter-Done
clean-cleaned out refrigerator...there's always more to clean but it can wait until tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #188  
helpingrachel

Talking

Lexxiss:

Your posts are a ray of bright sunshine in my life. Thank you for sharing your journey as I witness your story it helps me to know that I am connected.

You shared this the other day..... This morning I really felt the "freedom" of being decluttered, organized and clean.

That was gasoline in my tank to know if I keep doing the small stuff I will get to the other side. Wisdom from experience is the only way that can be shared.

I have had a very touch week, my Dad called and said he was getting remarried and plowed right over my feelings. I reminded him of what happened in his last marriage (she took him for a ride) and he disconnected from everyone of his kids. I struggle with the feeling of abandonment and lack of provision from him. I shut down for a day but now I am back moving. I have not eaten off plan but wanted to pull into every McDonald's that I passed and dreamed about eating a whole pan of brownies.

I have a saying "What is it about you that I am using as an excuse not to live my life by my values" ? Meaning -that I can be affected by people, (humanness) but I don't have to let them derail my sense of self and my values.

I have kicked in some self care movements like going to bed early, reading a book, keeping the house picked up. Too overwhelmed to add a big declutter project right now. The stormy sea will settle or at least I am adjusting my sails.

OnebyOne: Glad to see you posting again. What a beautiful expression of caring for the community by painting and keeping the tea room running. If I lived close, I would love to come by and buy you a cup of tea.

Julia150: 15.2 lbs! since November. I hope you are holding your accomplishment with joy. I wonder how much declutter weight you lost....5 lbs for each box, 10 lbs for each bag. Let me know!

Welcome Nerdlass! I love that you use the word pickles. We are here to support you as you work toward your Feb. goal.

Hi NightAngel: Way to trash and thrift! Less clutter to clean up. I have our christmas tree still up at the cabin. I told my husband I would take it down in March....

Sending out good thoughts to Ibelieveinme2, Ann, Michele. Michele, I am still thinking of how weight loss and decluttering go together.

Off to do something. Basement stairs vacuumed, Kitchen floor mopped. Counters wiped clean. That is it.

Last edited by helping rachel; 02-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #189  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Micro de-cluttering: I just said 'No' to a three-year renewal for a magazine at a REALLY GOOD PRICE. Hated to miss the bargain but, actually, I don't like the magazine and only get it because some three years ago I subscribed for a REALLY GOOD PRICE. Methinks I see a trend here.

Anyway, CREDIT moi for 36 issues that won't stack up waiting to be read.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #190  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up going forward

Decluttering Buddies

Actually that greeting is entirely *inaccurate* as I don't have any buddies I want to declutter... so, instead, let me say Hi!

Well, I am *thrilled* to have found a solution to my in-home composting dilemma. Ever since I moved here the garbage rules of this town have confounded me. I still can't figure out where/how best to place my garbage can, but nevermind that as I solved my composting troubles. I have large green bin that I bought from the town when I moved here. It's required. It's for all compostables. The problem with it is that the composting bags (and the town will only take away compostable bags) are really big and by the time you have used them for a few days, the bottom falls out of them, leaving you with a smelly mess and/or a yukky bin when they've emotied it. So I bought a small compost bin, with a lid that you pus in with your hand but DH HATED it and said the lid is always open ie. smelly and we have very very little counter space so, where to put the thing? I liked the smaller size cause it was more manageable but then we started composting the kitty litter and we were back to the big green bin. The small one ended up without the swinging lid in the new pantry holding all the garbage bags and such. Well, this morning I pulled out the small bin and lined it with a small compost bag and used it to gather the scraps from my veggies today. And then I PUT THE WHOLE SMALL BIN inside the big bin. *amazing* I get to use the small bin, it gets to stay intact inside the small bin and the smells get contained int eh big bin and if the small bin fills up, I pull out the bag, drop it in the bottom of the big bin, and sit the small bin on top of it--maybe on a cardboard "shelf"/insert. SO GREAT. I feel like a genius.

And on that note, the dishes are waiting for me. Almost done and will be done today *credit*

A new decluttering plan is coming for me. Spring is coming afterall.

Bye.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #191  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Checking in and so encouraged to hear from my buddies This is often a lonely process and the keeping each other company is priceless to me. I am knitting and taking care of phone business....typing from iPhone ...not gray for long posts. bbl

Ps attaching pic of pup helping w/ knitting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Lexxiss; 02-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #192  
helpingrachel

OBO --Glad I am not being decluttered.

Love the picture of your knitting and your companion-helper-snuggler!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #193  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
..typing from iPhone ...not gray for long posts. bbl
...not GREAT for long posts....I'm also not great at catching the auto spells, either, although I do find them useful for texting.

BBE, I think NOT renewing a 3 yr subscription is a BIG DEAL! Kudos! Realistically, I do not find the mags as interesting as they used to be...so many ads....

Tami (helping rachel), I am glad you are taking care of yourself during this rough emotional time. It is so hard to accept some of the seemingly obvious kooky things our family/loved ones engage (no pun intended) in...especially when they have further reaching consequences. I guess the thought popped into my head (which is what I'm doing in my own home) is "all the more important to make MY home an OASIS (thx onebyone).

onebyone, Yay! for finding a solution to your composting dilemma. I, too, compost and it's always been about finding that solution that works between the kitchen and it's final resting place. I find it's a big part of having a workable kitchen.
In Alaska it was too cold to compost very well and here we have an issue w/skunks/raccoons/bears. On the East side I have one of those plastic fancy rotating ones in the yard to keep the critters out and on the West side I just pitch it into a little fenced pile out the back door. More than once, I have opened the back door to a skunk...pretty cool as long as the pup is in the house.

Well I finished the brown hat...but it was pretty imperfect so I just took it apart. Saw some boo boos in the green one before I even started so took it apart, too. Needles are reclaimed and I'm enjoying what I wanted to knit in the first place.
Had a nice afternoon browsing the RESTORE upvalley. It's incredible...gets all the Aspen rejects...absolutely incredible furniture . I bought two pillows and may purchase several more. (credit for not buying the rest until I make sure they'll work) I have been looking for replacement pillows for the antique couch for months now and think these are the ones. Shimmery gold...will connect with the brass fireplace cover and large picture frame above the mantle. It will be another piece of the puzzle as I reclaim my "space".
Well goodnight...
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #194  
helpingrachel

Thanks for the supportive response, Lexxiss. This I know the resources and the provision that I had as a child are quite different than the resources and support that I have as an adult. A grown a$$ adult that I choose to be!! That is ok with me, I will journey on and prepare for care and competence with what I was put on earth to do. Connection is in the mix. Thanks for getting me!!

Blessing sent out to all my friends who are struggling with life and focus. May you find peace within. Your story matters and you matter. Each and everyone of you.

Last edited by helping rachel; 02-07-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #195  
helpingrachel

Quick post, hope to get back here after working all day.

Cleaned Utility Room, Mopped, Dusted, Wiped down washer and dryer. I also organized cleaning products.

Made DD breakfast this am, cleaned sink-dishes and off I go.

Last edited by helping rachel; 02-08-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Closed Thread