Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #31  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello!

An early check in. DH and I took a "nap" after I got home from work yesterday which turned into almost our full night's rest assuring we would be wide awake in the middle of the night. Our decision, finally, was to get back up and accomplish some stuff then catch a few more hours of rest before I head out to work at 7am.

I was going to take down the C. tree but once downstairs decided to listen to the holiday CD my sis gave me and enjoy a few more days of the tree....there is always plenty to do.

This morning I:
~IMMEDIATELY threw away a pair of reading glasses that broke. They are not fixable and I said NO CHOICE to wearing them around broken. credit.
~cleaned out the cat area...complex because we have to have a "fence" for the litter box/food area because the pup likes to eat from both. I took down the gate, cleaned and resurrected it. credit.
~prepped recycles which go outside before work. I came up with a handy solution yesterday. I brought a big box home from work, filled it then the box gets recycled with everything else. A handy solution which I plan to do every week now.
~I found more items for the thrift box, including two victorian statues which I had to negotiate with DH to let go of. They were from my stepdads basement and only came here because I was going to sell them. The antique store has now closed. I wish to have "my" collectables on the mantle-not my stepdads deceased wife. credit.
~I pulled out the two beautiful pics I framed last summer. I know where I want to hang them but need DH to use a mortar bit to put the hangers in the brick wall in my kitchen. I think he will do it today but I must remember to ask him if we can do it together since I have a better eye for placement.

ETA-I called our satillite co. and asked them about the 4 receivers I have in my basement. They want one back and are sending me the box/etc. The other three I can recycle. Good to deal with they have been sitting down there for years.

I'm going to nap for two hours and will pick up "current clutter" before I head to work.

It feels GREAT to take those two statues off the mantle and put them in the thrift box. It leaves a space for something that DH and I might enjoy.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-08-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #32  
helpingrachel

Good Morning Ladies with homes and bodes that are getting "lighter" this year:

Worked on cleaning yesterday. Moved trash boxes outside as I kept tripping over them in the kitchen. This created the opportunity to mop the kitchen floor. I am moving my cookbooks to a file drawer in the basement. I decided I wanted the space for appliances, (my new handy dandy food chopper) that I am using almost weekly.

OnebyOne: Way to tackle those dishes. Sounds like you are making great progress.

Debbie: I loved what you said--->>>"I wish to have "my" collectables on the mantle-not my stepdads deceased wife. credit."

I have been journaling before I go to bed as it is a "non-threatening'" time to process my attachment to my clutter.

Here is my journal entry:

"Letting go of things is really a process of detaching your identity from things that don't represent you. You can have things/stuff that are attached to someone else's identity or your past identity.

Ask yourself....... what is this object representing to me? Some of the files that I am keeping have great information but I can find that information on the internet, so I can let it go. Special cards or letters from my deceased Mother, I can keep and treasure. I am finding that I have kept things that are not useful or represent who I am NOW. TODAY. A lot of this clutter has to do with me not making a decision. That is the good news because I am making decisions daily on how to turn the tide. I love that I picked the word "Flow" for the year. It is helping me realize that I don't want old stagnant things sitting around here. I want the joy of the flow of creativity and to be able to find things with EASE.

Another great question....I don't want to let go of that item because it represents this part of............ Aha! That is why I don't get rid of my jeans that are 2 sizes too small. It is my tie to my thinner days)). Anyhow, I have a full day of work Friday and Saturday so I need to keep my focus on the next 3 days to make progress. I had a great conference call with several therapists last night. It was so nice to hear about their process of self care and how we all have our "stuff" to deal with no matter who we are. Never gets old reminding me of my humanity and that a little self-compassion goes a long way.

Have a great day ladies and gents!

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-08-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #33  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hello declutterers!

Tami (helping rachel), best wishes as you productively move forward during these days before your schedule returns to "busy"! I could really relate to things you said in your journaling...and I think it helped motivate me to;
1. finally hang two pictures in the kitchen that have been sitting in the LR for months!

AND
2. take down a victorian wallhanging from the TV room that I bought when we first got here because it "matched" the peach walls but I never liked...all it did was fill a hole.

Thanks! It's downstairs to go to thrift and I replaced it with a piece of our art which is just temporary but is something.

DH was still bummed about the statues but we talked about it and he finally agreed, they do not fit in. Thanks again, onebyone, for posting the link. Looking at those pictures somehow motivated me to let those statues move on!

I have to leave for Boulder in an hour so it's time to get to taking care of myself...shower, dress and morning smoothie.

Today's Dance 1-2-3

1. old clutter-took funky wallhanging off wall put in pile for thrift and hung photos that had been hidden behind a chair in LR
2. current clutter-picked up in LR, DR and kitchen (office not so much) Made bed.
3. clean-cleaned kitchen counters and sink...cleaned up after we drilled the walls to hang photos in kitchen.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #34  
helpingrachel

Hey Declutters:

Pulled my "No Choice" card out when I was looking at the 10 boxes. I pulled some more from the storage space to go thru. I swear its like rabbits around here, they multiply. I started on one box and before I knew I was done with all 10. Trash day was today so that was part of the motivation. I found a bowling trophy that my son won on a "hot dog" league...when he was 8. Now he is 20....has been away for 2 years at college. I am pretty sure, I can part with it.

Time for my dance 1-2-3

old clutter: trip to Goodwill
new clutter: Organized binders in my office, purged and updated info
clean: The stove and burners.

House is feeling lighter---makes it easier to clean and find things...

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-09-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #35  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Yay Tami (helping rachel)!!! Sometimes I need moderation when I'm decluttering and other times I'm able to just rip and go! Kudos for going through all those boxes and taking stuff to goodwill.

I completely relate...it is SOOO much easier to find things....cook dinner....clean the house...relax...organize....

THE MORE STUFF I GET RID OF!

We went to the CelestialSeasoningsFactory today near Boulder. We were going to tour but my mom wasn't interested in sitting inside so we cruised the gift shop and enjoyed the wonderful smells and eye candy...lots of pretty things.
Credit.
I really enjoyed looking but came home with one box of tea...nothing else. I'm brewing some for iced tea. I had a sample which was heavenly. I'm thinking it fits into my decluttering.
If I enjoy it iced I could quit buying the natural sodas which require recycling...crossing another task off my weekly list.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #36  
helpingrachel

What a fun excursion to Boulder. What kind of tea did you get?

Don't tell anyone but I am experiencing pleasure from decluttering! Who knew!

I like your forward thinking about your soda/tea exchange. I am already thinking of my "Big February" project. I am not finished with my office, but so enjoy sitting in there and working now.

I remember you putting up your border for you office. Did you have to take a border down? I am planning on taking down Sam's border that has been up for 15 years. I don't know what to use to take it off the wall. Let me know, if not I will google.

My favorite tea:
I brew vanilla maple decaf and add a drop of chocolate and a drop of vanilla stevia. It really helps curb the need to eat at night.

Have a great night! Enjoy your new tea.

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-09-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #37  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Tami(helping rachel), I'll let you know about the border when I return from the airport. It was pretty easy. I've already attacked my hotspots this morning and I'll formulate my plan for the day when I return.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #38  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Tami (helping rachel), I got AcaiMangoZinger tea...pretty good iced.

Re: take down of wallpaper...it was super easy. I started with a wet washcloth and a spray bottle with water. I sprayed the wallpaper and rubbed on it while making sure I didn't get excess water running down the wall. Then I started peeling with the trash can nearby ...spraying and rubbing as I went...still making sure water didn't run down the wall. Since I had put up the old stuff and was going to reapply a new pattern I already knew I had marked my walls to ensure I could put the new on without measuring. Once I took off the old there was no visible difference in the wall. I could have just left it "as is".

So on to my day:

I have a SUPER BUSY day for "a day off". I've already been to the airport and back...a 2-1/2 hour trip. This morning as I was getting ready to go I definitely had a sabotaging thought:
"This is too hard....this is so much work every day....."

Then I looked at my living room as I walked downstairs. It is clean, organized and beautiful. I was reminded of my several months on FL-Lady's routine. I was reminded I learned two very powerful things from her:
1. You Can Do This

2. The importance of consistency and regular baby steps.

So I told myself "You can do this. It is important and it's important that you DO SOMETHING TODAY.
CREDIT

Reminded of Tami(helping rachel) and journaling I sat down and wrote these feelings on paper:

It's hard to let go of things and it's hard to keep up because it's not my normal but when I look down the stairs at my living room, ITS WORTH IT.

I took my notebook and started writing down ALL the things that need to happen today...some for business, some for family, some for planning ahead, and SOME FOR ME. I am going to make my best effort to get this stuff done.

1-2-3 Dance (in addition to extensive list)
1. old clutter-take box AND wallhanging to thrift store
2. current clutter-pick up today (AFTER) I get list done
3. clean-I have already had to pull out the carpet cleaner and do a spot where the Lasix pup peed while I was gone. credit. Today I will also do my bathroom toilets/sinks

I love hearing from you all...I am not alone in this process.

ETA-Am in the office and will put my favorite music on. It is so quiet here right now and I find a little bit of inspirational/favorites on the ipod really help me focus on finishing.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 01-10-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #39  
helpingrachel

Thanks for the tips and connection. I am glad I am not doing this alone. My DH is happy with the changes but he really doesn't care about the details. As you shared your integrated wisdom,,,,,We can do this and it really is baby steps.

I was feeling overwhelmed with my kitchen today. Not because it is a huge mess but I want to get going on heaving some stuff but I don't' want to start that before the office is done. Automatically a mantra popped in my head.... DECISION+ COMMITTED ACTION, DECISION+COMMITTED ACTION. So back to finish the last of the boxes and make a list.

Many areas of my house are in order,organized and clean. Those rooms house things that only are useful or make me or others happy. The fact that I have ignored the "clutter cemetery" aka office, has opened my eyes to other parts of the house that need attention. I am grateful for the reality check. Kind of like facing the scale.

Sending good "work confidence vibes your way" May the energy and knowledge that you have within be released to accomplish what is needed just for today.
As you told me in last email....moderation. What is doable for today.....

Off to work.... I like the idea of good music. I usually listen to an audio book or a podcast while I am doing the decluttering, Instrumental for work-work. It is a great companion to the process.

Welcome any lurkers that want to jump in with thoughts, projects or ideas for shedding things that no longer are needed to function in home and tips for keeping the organizing behaviors in motion.

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-10-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #40  
helpingrachel

Up early and out the door in 45 minutes. Woke up to a clean kitchen that made breakfast easier. I am realizing as I continue to put things in order and trim the excess in my living areas, I am finding EASE. I am grateful for the inner transition between my part that was in avoidance and overwhelmed, and the emergence of a new part that feels confident and active to get the job done. One of the reasons I can remind stuck is the fact that I don't feel that I have the support or knowledge to change a pattern. A big shout out to onebyone for starting this thread and all that have commented on it. It truly has given me a place and space to work thru the transition of being capable with clutter and excess. My weight is down as well, interesting to see the tie in.

Have a great day, declutterers, shedders of the old stuff. Whatever that may be!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #41  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Thanks for posting Tami(helping rachel) before you headed out the door this morning. I'm on my last day off with things to do and it really helped me just now to have contact with another human sharing the path.

I accomplished everything on my list yesterday...but did have to give myself a push to finish. My last task left undone was to go through the process to order my pup's expensive heart meds online. Last month I ran out before I got this done so I was determined to finalize everything. I did, and I set up for autoship so I'll receive his pills every two months for the entire year then I set it up again. credit. It saves $40/month...$480/year. That is substantial and I was encouraged to do this by his vet.cardiologist.

Today I was going to start a new list then my "job" for the morning appeared. DH informed me that a little spring for our very nice coffeemaker was lost in the coffee/laundry/pet room. We looked and couldn't find it but what I did find was that this room was again...very dirty. I decided that it really did need to be cleaned and that perhaps I'd find the spring in the process. 2 hours later the room is spotless and the spring was found. I also found several items I was willing to relocate AND a few I was willing to let go of. credit.

While I was spiffing up the coffeemaker the word that came to mind was
"ownership"
When I take care of what I have I take ownership of my posessions I have chosen to keep. Cleaning in my home is taking ownership, for me.

Today: 1-2-3 Dance
1.old clutter-let go of pretty teapot I brought from HK 30 years ago...Put several other non essentials in the thrift box, as well.
2. current clutter-yet to do after a rest
3. clean-laundry/pet room
Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #42  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone,
This is such a great thread. A few months ago, I was happily procrastinating living life as it came and then I got a call telling me my brother had passed away. The police man told me that they had gone into his house to get the dog and the dog would be at the animal shelter. When I got up to his City I found out I had to wait until morning to get the dog. I went over to his house and went inside and I could not believe the clutter. He sure was a pack rat. After weeks and weeks of clearing out his house, I realize I do not want to leave this burden for others. I have made a commitment to keep my house in order so that none of our relatives would be going through this. The local agencies were delighted with all the stuff that they received. He even had new items that were purchased months, and even years ago that had not been opened.
I feel overwhelmed and I realize I need to come back to Beck and keep on a path, it is so easy to shut everyone out and just go about your business. I hope this is not to much to ask for your support.
Thank you for this thread, I am sure it is what the doctor would order for me.
Thanks for being here.
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 01-11-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #43  
helpingrachel

Ann!

First of all, I want to say I am sorry for the loss of your brother. I think it is kind and considerate of you not to want to pass a very cluttered house on to your family. Compassion for the part of your brother that was a hoarder as we don't always understand all that goes into keeping things. I am sure his things blessed many people as you gave the items to agencies that received them.

We are here for support. You are welcome to share your journey and your story . There are beck principles that line up with decluttering so if you know them, share them or as you can see from Debbie's last post, "Ownership" is her new thought. I am writing that down for my card. I want to own and connected to the things of my life that matter.

Each day is about "authoring" our life and "reauthoring parts that we want to change. We need each other to hear us and our journey. It really is about the journey and not the destination.

We don't follow a "set of rules" but you will find that Debbie's 1-2-3 step is a great framework to do the daily steps. It is all about decisions and taking steps.

Feel free to comment or share as little and as much as you like.

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-11-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #44  
helpingrachel

Debbie: Love your new thought. It is going on my in my Beck Deck. Appreciating and caring for what we have is really Grounding. I am realizing this process is keeping me mindful of my life and the things I want in it.

Happy Dance on a clean utility room. Do you hire out

Had a great day at work, surprised that I feel that way. I will post my office picture tomorrow. In process, 80 % done but it about progress not perfection. Have a good night!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #45  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hello Ann (Newlifestyle) and welcome back!

I'm sorry to hear that you are returning in the wake of your brother's passing but anyway I am glad to see you. Whenever/however we return does not matter. The fact that we return is what counts. credit.

You had mentioned more than once that you read here and knew you needed to do some decluttering and now that you are ready we are still here and happy to have you join in.

My own decluttering start came from experience with a family member. I had tried to help my mom for years to no avail. Finally, it happened that while we were all out of town her neighbors got concerned about her...called the police...then the neighbors from both sides and local police went in and looked in every nook and cranny of her house...expecting to find her somewhere. She was embarrassed and I was mortified. I was so ashamed that outsiders had seen what was inside.
It was my lightbulb moment. I had high blood pressure and had recently been hospitalized for 10 days with pneumonia...on a ventilator. I could not change her (and still haven't) but I could change myself. Like you, I did not want my relatives cleaning out/up my stuff.
I am so grateful that I have stepped up and started creating my future..one day at a time.

Take care!

(PS Tami (helping rachel), I do not think I am ready to hire out
Closed Thread