Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #151  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Good Day fellow Declutterers!

I hope you all have a day. I'm thinking on a name for the dance.

Tami (rachael) Thanks for sharing in my satisfaction. I remember reading previously about the saved bowling trophy and smiling and thinking "I have soooo done that myself" I threw away a Seattle Mariners batting helmet souvenir of my sons without consulting him. I'm pretty sure Grandma bought it for him on a whim at a baseball game and he hasn't given it a single thought for many years. I am an avid reader as well. I got a Nook a few years ago and it has helped with my book clutter. I struggle sometimes with spending too much on books when I know I can get them at the library and even download electronic versions free from the library. I'm getting better though!

Lexxiss Way to go on almost completing the taxes! I know the feeling of stress when it gets down to the wire. Our taxes don't take too long but we usually put it off until the week before. Procrastination causes me so much stress, you'd think I would learn. I think I read somewhere in the old posts that you do 1-2-3 everyday even though it may be very small 1-2-3's? I think I need to make 1-2-3 a "no choice" part of my day. It reinforces the habit. I'm just thinking...will there always be old clutter?

Everyone have a great day!

JuliaGoingToTheDump (to the dump, to the dump, dump, dump, where's the Lone Ranger Icon?)

Last edited by Julia150; 01-27-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #152  

Ann, we posted at the same time! Glad to hear you are sticking with it. It's been tough for you I know. I'm so proud of you for working so hard during this time.
J
Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #153  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Ann (NewLifestyle), glad to hear from you! Baby steps will get you there. Take care!

Julia, funny...this morning I was thinking "will I ever not have old clutter?" All I can say is it's along way down the road so I won't worry about it today.
I am interested to see how this upcoming year feels. One of my exciting new goals is to do my mom's company books every month instead of leaving it all until the end. (Actually this year I tried and had 3 months done until my DH tore his quadracep and needed surgery +6 mos. recovery).
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #154  

Debbie, It's going to be a loooong time before I find out if "old clutter" comes to an end too!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Default just being accountable...

argh! haven't taken any time to do any decluttering really...just picked up my livingroom today and sorted a side table....better than nothing I guess.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #156  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi declutterers!

Today's 1-2-3
old clutter-I took the written list of phone numbers I've been carrying around for 2 months and put them in my new phone. (10 min) Paper list recycled.

current clutter-picked up in general, specifically put away the cardtable and finished puzzle. Am washing a spice bottle from the counter to put another spice blend in. (10 min)

clean-since the little stepladder was handy I got up and washed off the living room fan...was so easy I washed two sconces on the wall. (10 min)

Julia, you had asked and I didn't reply. Yes, my everyday projects are most often very small. It's the daily routine and noticable progress without much conscious effort that I enjoy. I, too, get into occasional full blown projects, but they tend to be more detailed, such as my photo project, since I've done the initial and major declutter in all of my spaces now.

NightAngel, yay for checking in and for accomplishing what you did!
All accomplished while enjoying morning coffee!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #157  
helpingrachel

Default It's a Monday!

Hey friends!

Up at 5 am today. Early morning conference call that just finished. I am regrouping on my eating and decluttering. A good day to start my lists

I want to share from a book that I have been reading. It's called "50 ways to soothe yourself without food". An oldie but goodie book that I like to read when I want to start to look for a "lover in all the wrong places".

Susan Albers states the following. "Practice is your best life preserver." It is important to practice self-soothing techniques before you need them. You can't expect to put them in practice in the middle of a very strong urge, unless you have done some preliminary practicing. If you wait until you need them, it will be like trying to learn how to swim while you are drowning. You need to learn how to become a strong swimmer to deal with a huge wave of emotion. This might feel uncomfortable at first. But you want to get good at doing them so that by the time you need to use them, they will be like second nature."

I wanted to share this because that is what the Beck cards are doing for me. Practicing the new cognitive thoughts are helping me to come up against these uncomfortable feelings that want to be soothed with food. I am learning that I can be aware of that feeling to automatically hoard, eat or whatever. I am learning to listen to my internal experience without judging it and making a decision that would take me toward whatever my goal is for the day. If I let my feelings and random thoughts rule me, I would never act on my values.

So I made my green tea, had my egg white omelet. Started Laundry, I have to leave for office at noon.

So it is enough.

I decided that I like the name "DOBEE"
for this little guy as he helps me see that action counts....every small step I take toward my goals/values (toward self and home)...counts. Every Decision and Action.

I also acknowledge my humanity, that mucks it up. Yesterday my husband said he would clean out the storage cabinets and he was making progress. He told me that he was going to throw out a sterno stainless steel serving piece that he got from his stepfather's wife who does not like us. I said "NO!" We might need it for a graduation party or get together. He said We have had 2 graduations and several parties and have never used it. Then he asked me what the heck did I want him to do? Purge and clean or keep the clutter? I took a step back and realized I was thinking from an old mindset. Is that decision/thought going to take me toward my goal.... Regroup......pull the card "It's not about me" and let it go. I get in my own way sometimes. I don't think I am alone in this:))

Hope you have some of these today.

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-28-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #158  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default two birds with one stone

Hello Dancers!

Awful day out there today. We had our biggest fluffiest good-for-making-snowballs-snowy snowfall overnight. I was out clearing off the porch and it was raining/freezng rain. Yikes. Really bad for driving so I opted to let DH have the car. I doubt I will make the trek to the writers' group tonight either as the roads will certainly be extra slick as the mercury falls.

I took the time to declutter my purse. I have some receipts to gather up for my guild meeting on Wednesday night. I've been buying tea bags, milk, and jam for the tea room as I am the volunteer manager for it, and I've been doing this for two years and haven't submitted any receipts for reimbursement yet. Why? cause I mash up the receipt and throw it somewhere. So, with taxes coming due and us waaaayyyyy behind I thought stop it.
Just stop it right now.
So I cleaned out the purse. I have one tea room related receipt and several art business related ones which I logged into my online WAVE accounting program which I am sure I don't use "properly" but at least I have kept track of rudimentary expenses and income for all of 2012 (YAY YAY YAY) and now I am up to date for 2013. *phew* Then I had all these receipts-like the actual pieces of paper- and went hunting for a place to store them. I have a filing cabinet but it is no shape to receive the receipts! Perhaps this should float nearer to the top of my to-do list as I could use it. DH has a stack of stuff that needs to be filed (he pays our bills) and I should set that up so he can do that. I have no idea if he wants to use it though.

So for now I have opted not for a shoebox but a see-through plastic bin that I will empty at the end of every month. It has no lid so I can toss stuff into it. It'll be my collection box. I think it will work for me. I have written a W and placed a checkmark on the receipts that I logged online so I know not to do them again. YAY for tackling this. I feel the beginnings of being more financially organized already.
On top of the receipts getting organized, I tossed a giant fistful of paper crap from my purse. It's nice and light again. *CREDIT* DH gets a *credit* too for doing dishes yesterday.

TODAY's 1-2-3-chachacha:

CLEAN:
1) put clean dishes away YES
2) do two more sinkfuls YES
3) put all dishes away and leave sink clean and clear of dishes YES

OLD CLUTTER: NO
4) empty the two moving boxes sitting directly in the window so more light can come in onto my poor plants

NEW CLUTTER: NO
5) clear off new desk in hallway that's full of ceramic work--either make more TODAY or put it away (stuff needs to be in the kiln room tomorrow night for loading)

BONUS ACTIVITY: NO
gather up all my newspapers into one pile

Last edited by onebyone; 01-28-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #159  
GlenwoodHotSprings

onebyone, yay for many credits!
It was a really freeing moment for me to recognize that I could keep my current paperwork in order "while" I was working on the old. My brain used to think about starting at the bottom of the pile and working up....getting the old stuff perfect first. Your system sounds just right! Enjoy your decluttered purse.

Tami (helping rachel), I'm glad you were able to listen to the "voice of reason" with your DH regarding the sterno serving piece...making that choice to agree that you are moving forward. If you haven't used it by now you can rent it if you ever need one.

So you do remember the song...do be a dobee...
My yoga teacher once asked about "practice" A classmate said "practice makes perfect". My teacher said, "practice makes practice". Ah, yes, however said when we practice the routine the routine becomes routine....easier...and more reliable when times get tough. Whether with food or with a home/life routine....
Sometimes when I recognize that at 91 yrs. my mom's life (and mine) are going to hit a tougher time...I want to have my life routine (and my food routine) in order. I acknowledge that they go together for me now.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #160  

checking in to say hi this morning.
Yesterday
Clean: dishes and kitchen, screwed up DH's birthday cake.
Old clutter:
New clutter
Yes I meant to leave those blank. they were.
Julia
Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #161  
helpingrachel

Hi Ladies,

Just a quick drive by, I will try to be back later after work.

loaded and unloaded dishwasher.
Washed all quilts from cedar chest. (at least 50 years old)
Off to post office to mail insurance documents and a late arrival christmas present.

Work rest of day, dinner planned and grocery run as we may be getting some more snow. May it come for the farmers and their efforts~
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #162  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi declutterers!

A quick check in....I traveled very early this morning and the usual 2 hour commute was 3 with some pretty slippery roads. I was tired after lugging all my stuff into the house. Leaving it wasn't an option due to perishables and freezing weather. I AM remembering this trip is taxing on the bod due to extreme altitude fluxuations and I am more hungry on these days. I made a protein lunch and am going to try resting/listening to the radio for a bit before resuming.

old clutter-I will try to work on W-2's this afternoon. It would be nice to get them finished for my mom.

current clutter-I picked up all my stuff before leaving one space this morning and put everything away BEFORE doing anything else upon my return to my other space. credit.

clean-I will vacuum the room today where I had the cat boxes set out. I work tomorrow and everything else will wait.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #163  
helpingrachel

Hi Ladies,

Ann, I wanted to thank you for sharing this simple truth:"I am just placing one foot in front of the other, it will all fall in place." I made this a card to remind me to keep on keeping on with the day to day. Glad when you post to let us know how you are doing.

OnebyOne: Kudos for getting so much done. I like clear boxes and clear ziplock bags for receipts. I am a visual person that likes to see what I have. Hope you are staying warm and cozy in your home.

Lexxiss: Anytime a 2 hour drive in the mountains takes 3 because of slippery roads, deserves some down time from the stress. I love how you keep plugging away. I am doing the same thing pushing the ball forward. Small movements make the goals possible.

Julia150: Thinking of you today, hope your appointment was helpful. Hope you are taking care of yourself from your great purge this weekend.
Hi to anyone I might of missed. Blessings on your efforts.

Off to make chili and fold laundry. Have a good night.

Last edited by helping rachel; 01-29-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #164  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default more

Hello Movers and Shakers:

Short checkin:

cleaned the breakfast dishes so I didn't add to the pile-alos cleaned and cleared off counter for the evening

dealt with the old clutter of receipts in a bag. Sorted through the ones the guild owes me for tea room supplies. It wasn't much--like about 1/5th of what I have spent to supply the tea room over the last two years BUT I am re-starting so it's ok. It'll be more complete next year as I will be more organized with filing away the receipts this year.

Also discovered more receipts to do with my art business so will get to that tomorrow. Soon, if I keep this up, I will have made no money for the year. Oh well.

Managed to get some dishes done too-- could get them all done tomorrow. Yay.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #165  

Tami/HelpingRachel,
Thank you, the appointment went well. Something the counselor told me was kind of comforting. She said that some people like my parents who were born at the end of the depression/WWII are known to have not developed emotional intellect and aren't too good at nuturing. I don't know why that is comforting but it is.
Julia
Closed Thread