Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #91  
helpingrachel

I had the opportunity to complete 8 boxes yesterday. I finished 3 out of the 4 steps. Today after work, I will label the contents. #Credit#

I am planning on watching the movie
"Defiance". It is a true story about a group of Jews in Belarus who hid in the forest for several years during World War II and survived the Holocaust. Twelve hundred people walked out of that forest at the end of the war. They had seen their families, friends, and neighbors murdered. They lost their homes, their dreams, their work, and for many, their faith as well. And despite these losses, they built a school, a hospital, and new relationships all while surviving in the forest. They fought freezing cold, hunger, illness, depression, fear and the ****s. I am using this a clip from this movie to give the invitation in class, to take committed action despite circumstances surrounding life. Are you going toward your values or Away? So simple, So hard to do.

Bonus was cleaning off my desktop and making file folders for like information that go together.

Off to work out before work.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #92  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Way to go, Rachel!

I broke a taillight on my car and went to a "bank bag" which houses all my important papers, in order to get the phone # of the dealership. I have all the important documents...titles...birth/marriage certifs, etc., just shoved in. Imagine my surprise when I opened the bag and found everything filed in separate/marked envelopes. I've been working on decluttering/organizing ever since I started Beck Diet Solution. I had forgotten I had done this but it sure felt great!

Yesterday, I "made" $100, while reflecting on just how my clutter builds up. Several months ago my electric dog shears broke and needed some parts. I couldn't find them all online. Last week I wanted to use them and started looking for a new pair.
~old habit replace with new AND keep the old
I decided to try again and PERSIST TO VICTORY. It took 40 minutes but I found all the parts. They will be here by Monday and it was $100 less than buying new ones. credit

I continue to make baby steps but would really like to find enough time to focus again on a master list.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #93  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Angry I should but...

Hi.

I was super-annoyed to go to the cutlery drawer and discover there were no clean forks. I thought those days were behind me.

It wasn't hard to find them all. They're sitting in the sink waiting to be washed.

I did *credit* gather all the dishes into one place, making it easier to get them done once I start. The goal for today is to do the dishes and to put them away. It soooooo affects my food-plans for the day as I want to avoid the dish-strewn stovetop and cluttered countertop causing me to look for food in the freezer that I can pop into the microwave, or even worse, just decide "not to eat right now"/deny my hunger which sets me up to eat ANYTHING later on when I am STARVING and everything calls to me... not to mention the additional mental/emotional weight of both "failing" to keep my kitchen clean which is so "simple" and staying on plan which again is so "simple".

Anyway, not a good emotional day for me today but I am getting things done anyway. Feelings are not facts as even though I feel the sting of failure, it isn't true.

Feelings are not facts.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #94  
helpingrachel

Checking in on this hot Friday. A/C has a leak, that is the new A/C;( ....Hopefully we will see some relief by weekend.

Took 20 books to 1/2 bookstore and they bought everyone of them. So happy, so glad. I maintained my composure not to buy new. I did browse and look but was feeling the great feeling of declutter, I just couldn't do it. My Amazon account is higher than my bank account. (hee, hee ;0 ) Plan on making a pathway thru my office to closet. That's it for declutter goal today.

Sending prayers for Colorado families involved in the tragic shooting. May God's comfort surround them in their time of need. So very sad.

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-20-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #95  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Rachel, yay for looking at books but not bringing any home!

onebyone, kudos for acknowledging just how your kitchen environment affects your food choices.

I was rewarded for my persistance today. Kirk's two DD's and ex wife decided to come up in the afternoon with the new baby. We vacuumed, cleaned toilets and picked up a small amount of "stuff" but it was no big deal.

Mostly just maintenance stuff today, but I did get the dog bathed which was on my "procrastination list" which saved $50.
Sometimes after I've procrastinated long enough I just pay someone else and feel good I didn't today. Like many other things, "it was just not a big deal" once I just did it.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #96  
helpingrachel

Way to go Lexxiss! I love it when something off the "procrastination list" is ticked off. I think it is hard enough just keeping the daily chores done so anything extra is a big deal ***CREDIT*** I am sure your dog feels better with a nice bath especially with this heat.

Sending good vibes for more......

OnebyOne, remember the self compassion for a new day. I like the mantra progress not perfection. I am sure you have seen more good days in the last month than bad. Keep your chin up and keep plugging away.

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-20-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #97  
helpingrachel

My son is coming home from summer camp next week. His room is piled high with college junk. I need to write a plan of attack to start the process to declutter and organize.

Also will be writing a plan for closet. That is my intention. Vision it, Plan it, Do it.

Need to let go of clothes that I don't wear anymore but are taking up space.....I understand when I watch the show "Hoarders" how people get comfortable with clutter. I also recognize that OCD comes into play and that is a mental issue. I don't recognize OCD in my life, but I do acknowledge that boxes of clutter and out dated stuffed --closets just don't bother me. Off to plan the work, so I can work the plan.

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-21-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #98  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Yay Rachel! What really stood out to me was your planning and writing the plan. I notice I do better when it's written but don't always do it.

It's time for the next step on my project, which comes ahead of my decluttering, but is certainly part of the process to "Own My Space". New carpet is being installed Aug. 3 and I need to rip the old off the staircase and paint stairs, spindles, baseboard and part of the adjoining wall. I promised DH I would not get on a ladder while he's gone and I must admit there are several spots I haven't quite figured out how to get to anyway.

I always want to put the cart before the horse and just wanted to get started on wall painting. Instead, I gave it some thought and wandered back to the basement this morning to locate the paint. Once in the basement.....I.....remembered this is where I started with my decluttering goals. Since my helper doesn't arrive until 9am I recognized some free time for continuing in my basement.

Baby Steps this morning:
~sorted through all the cans of paint, separating saves from discards
~hauled some misc. old chairs, pipes and metal up for recycling
~reorganized some antique chairs to a better location
~went through a file cabinet and pulled papers for recycle

My initial question about all these paint cans, since many had 2-3 inches of paint was, "Why did we save this???" I believe the reason we saved these cans was so we would have the # of the color and type of paint when we needed to repaint/touch up. We had no other system at the time.

The good news is that as I have decluttered the office I have found ALL the color strips from each project which I would need to reference at a later date. They are all in one file in the cabinet upstairs so we no longer need to house all these unusable cans. credit for another step towards organization.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #99  
helpingrachel

Lexxiss:

I bet you are excited to get the new carpet! Along with a vision; a deadline can help;0. Love your mantra and I appreciate walking this "Clutter Diet" with you. It feels empowering to let go of things that just aren't needed anymore. I need this space to think out loud and have someone else care as I tend to be the only one interested in getting certain things done. My daughter asked me why my office was such mess, and I swear after I get the basics done and then add a few other things, I don't get to my stuff. Looking toward that area in Sept. when everyone is back in school.

Great problem solving and decision making with your paint cans. I love how you cleared so much space and still have the information that you need for the future. Isn't procrastination tied into delayed decision making??

As far as the higher areas for paint, what about a paint roller extension? Just a thought.

It has gotten "Worse" before 'Better" with cleaning my son's room. That is ok, I have the "Vision" in my head where I want to land and made lots of progress yesterday. Had to wash 6 loads of laundry and bedding. I am about 1/2 way there. I am off to Target to get him containers for his "Beloved Record Albums". I am looking at this as a labor of love as he won't have time to go thru these things when he gets home because he will be off to school. It also helps me because I am the one that helps both boys pack, purchase and buy for school and Now I am comfortable with not having to buy so many things because they are still in good shape. (A senior and sophomore this year). I did throw out his electric blanket as it was 5 years old and not sure what kind of smells were coming from it.

Here is to progress not perfection!

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #100  
helpingrachel

Lexxiss:

What is the opposite for you of not "Owning your own Space"? Just wondering what that looks like, feels like, acts like? I see a shift in your energy toward "Owning your own Space, with decision making and action. Just say'in. Who is going to hold the power.

My personal shift has been to a position of "Inner Champion/Mentor" instead of an "Inner Procrastinator" who has avoided in the past because of lack of focus, action and decision making.

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #101  
helpingrachel

Worked in the basement storage room today. Filled 1 bag of trash. Cleaned out 3 rubbermaid containers. Filled 2 boxes of books to go to bookstore for resale. I can easily move in and out of the area. I set up a plan for the storage room. Not planning on working anymore in this area until work lets up. Credit for ....

Writing a plan,
Purging 3 boxes.-1 bag of trash-2 boxes of books
Setting goals for next part of process.

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-24-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #102  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Passed the last six stacks of flat folded boxes from our shuffle last summer, to our DS who's moving across town from his current apartment. That's all of them gone!! He and his GF were happy to save hundreds of $$$ and DW and I are happy to get our space back.

Otherwise my efforts have been minor - a foot thick stack of magazines that I hadn't gotten around to reading. It's still hard for me to toss an unread magazine; I can't get it in my head that they just keep coming, and any article I miss will be repeated in the future.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #103  
helpingrachel

BBE, What a great feeling to be able to recycle those boxes; especially when it helps someone else. I keep magazines as I do lots of collaging and art expression with them. I have 2 bins that I stack them in. I think it is hard to give up unread magazines.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #104  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Yay Rachel and BBE!

It has been a whirlwind several days. On Sunday the old carpet came out and my helper agreed to paint the high ceilings of the staircase area. I got all the supplies Sunday afternoon and upon returning from work yesterday it was all finished. I have begun my part of the painting project. It is a very slow process but I'm encouraged by the results. It has made for long days but I'm already familiar with these short pushes which make great progress.

Rachel, I find myself OK moving from space to space, too. I like that you have a plan as you move forward. I have been pondering your question to me for several days now. You provoked some really deep thinking for me. Thx. It seems that the opposite of "owning my space" is living in it, but being disconnected from it...detatched from responsibility and settling for less.

BBE, several years ago I "quit" the magazine subscriptions. Then this year, I ordered one new one. I have a great memory for thing
Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #105  
helpingrachel

Lexxiss Says: It seems that the opposite of "owning my space" is living in it, but being disconnected from it...detatched from responsibility and settling for less.

Very insightful. I am grateful that this thread was started on the Beck forum. Your answer could tie into physical space as well as our bodily space that we carry everywhere we go. I am learning to be comfortable with the "uncomfortable" feelings this is bringing up in me. It is much easier to give an excuse that it can be done later, or just to ignore it but still hold myself accountable for wanting a clean, organized space. Same with my weight. I pulled my Beck's book and workbook out. Who knew it was behind 5 boxes in the furnace room. I desire to change my mind so my life will follow. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hearing how the rest of your journey "owning your own space" plays out. Many of us are re-authoring a new ending to our stories and that requires us to show up intentionally!

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-24-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Closed Thread