Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #271  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Changing tasks because I have one I need to do to contribute to a project I want to work on -- this blog challenge for writing about a year in your life each day in October: http://janeannmclachlan.com/october-...challenge.html

In order to do that well, it would be really great to get through the photos and other ephemera that I boxed up after my mother died in 2005 and have yet to get through. So.

Here's a photo. The top box actually represents a start on the project since it has files from a previous start at sorting stuff. For my project, I think it would be useful to have this material sorted by stages of my life, so I'm going to make some new files, right this minute, to facilitate that arrangement.

My goal is to get all my stuff sorted. I'll worry about DH's stuff later, but that's probably less than a third of what's here, so it will be great progress to organize the photos, etc that relate to my life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photos.jpg (19.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #272  
Green Tomatoes

I managed to pull some things from my original project -- clearing the balcony -- into this sorting ephemera project. I remembered seeing a few things, like my high school year books, that would fit in these file boxes.

I'm running into a new problem given this sort of material. I find myself not wanting to throw away things because I've had them for so long. Double the guilt when it's something that my mother kept for so long.

Please tell me it's okay to recycle my college graduation program that has one meaningful line (my name) in a 70 page pamphlet. And every semester's grade sheets from college that my mother kept--I can always order a transcript if I actually needed my undergraduate grades.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #273  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default Permission Granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I'm running into a new problem given this sort of material. I find myself not wanting to throw away things because I've had them for so long. Double the guilt when it's something that my mother kept for so long.

Please tell me it's okay to recycle my college graduation program that has one meaningful line (my name) in a 70 page pamphlet. And every semester's grade sheets from college that my mother kept--I can always order a transcript if I actually needed my undergraduate grades.
I give you permission to recycle that stuff. You can alos do what some of us artists do when we have enormous installation pieces and such and tiny apartments: take a picture/scan it or use it in another artwork=transform it.

That one year a day blog idea sounds great btw...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #274  
persist

Default new news I think

Hello Summer 2012 Declutterers

As the days tick off to Autumn, I have to say it seems we have all moved frorward and are not stopping just cause the seasons will change. I'm going to start a winter solstice, or a "countdown to the holiday season" challenge so we can keep this going here.

I am away from home and posting at my SIL's house which is SPOTLESS (I am not kidding). They moved here August 29 and the house is all unpacked, put away, decorated, arranged, functional. Her DH is of an OCD persuasion when it comes to cleaning up, but I am experiencing living in a clear, clean, calm enivronment and it's peaceful, if a little dull... but since I make my own fun, I could cope.

Anyway what I wanted to say was I got a STUDIO SPACE! It's local. It's not "precious" as in I can spill ink, paint, whatever on the floor and not worry. I am in a large industrial bay, sharing it with 3 others who are not artists. I love it because it is an ugly, industrial space that does not ask me to make "pretty things" which is a rel problem for me as I always want to please people. My "real" artwork is not always pleasant and sometimes I don't have the courage to make it. This kind of spoace will support that urge in me so I am very very happy about that. I have room to bring my paintings and my supplies and my materials and to use them and store them and get them out of my cramped apartment. The studio is 15min north of me, easy to get to, available 24hrs a day and at the rent I was willing to pay. I cannot wait to get working there.

I may need to clear my schedule for the next year to allow me the time, since I now have the space, to really immerse myself in my work. It is very exciting.

So, I'll be organizing and setting up a functional studio and then re-thinking the apartment and finally opening some of those other boxes from my move 18 months ago.

Glad to see us all still moving forward.

Bye for now.

PS My studio name will be called Necessity Studios.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #275  
Green Tomatoes

Woohoo, onebyone! I am so happy that you have yourself an ugly industrial space to make art! Good for your art, good for your apartment, good for you!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-21-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #276  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Congrats, onebyone, on your new studio space!

Thanks to all of you for hanging out here! I look forward to our Fall/Winter thread.

gardenerjoy, I have been sorting through some of the college stuff, too. I let go of many things. One was an ashtray from MIT (my brother's alma mater). He had the opportunity to take it and didn't. After much consternation, it is in my recycle (not a thrift store prize) waiting to go to the metal bin.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 09-22-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #277  
Green Tomatoes

I emptied one of the photo / ephemera boxes. My mother kept every letter I ever wrote her. And printed out the emails I sent her and kept those, too. I was a little frustrated when I realized there were files and envelopes and stacks of this material in her house. Of course, as it turns out, they may be the best material I have for this memoir project in October.

I also wanted to report that I unpacked from my weekend trip within 24 hours of coming home -- because in the past not doing that has been the beginning of a downward spiral of my space.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #278  
persist

Default Beginning again... new thread coming

Hi everyone.

I'm here and it's The Fall. Time to re-group, assess and re-commit. 2013 is but a mere season away....

Off to start a thread. Hope you join me.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-26-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Closed Thread