Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #181  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy together

Hello

Today and yesterday were spent binge-working and now I have 20 - 8"x10" paintings for the tea room to be installed on Monday. They are 10 sets of two, all called Tea for Two. Another reprieve for me but I am done save for the edges and I am solving that with hockey tape. Not painting all those edges this time. Just covering them with tape but I have to find the tape first. That's for Sunday.

So, the kitchen has fallen back down and we have eaten worse because I have not taken the time to cook. Maybe DH will lend a hand. Maybe not. Tomrrow I go to the farmers' market, leave here at 6am back at 2pm and then off downtown to vist the art show where I have 3 pieces of work amongst 600! The show closes on Sunday so I have to go tomorrow and take some video if they allow it and some pictures if they don't allow video.

I'll enjoy that but will be toast by the end of the day.

Thanks L and HR for confirming that I am not "stalled" but "working". I can just get so discouraged so very easily. My goal is to have the view from the picture window look "normal" when people peer in, which is pretty much everyday. For over ayear no9w all it looks like is a storage room and a messy one at that. Not even any "real" furninture to be seen.

*sigh*

Someday I'd like to have a grownup house.

Bye for now.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #182  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

onebyone, I am just constantly in awe of your gift of art and your ability to get hyper-focused...creating more paintings in two days then I will ever accomplish in my entire life. credit! I'd love a snapshot of the tea room after everything is hanging.

I am really confident that you can take your ability/energy to "binge-work" and apply a similar technique to your home. Like with your 20 paintings, it may require several dedicated days, but like your paintings you will have an end result you can see with your eyes.

Me, finished my first week with FL. I did her suggested chores which didn't take much time. The chores seemed to make me more aware of taking care of other things.
Yesterday I bought a $2.84 paint sample (yellow) and painted the old dresser in my office. It's gigantic...was built by a tenant in that room...and would never get downstairs and out the front door in one piece. It looks better now. onebyone, this is my K_ey W_est room. It was painted a bright green and I didn't want to paint. Years ago I found some 6" wallpaper strips which reminded me of the end of the road. It has KW style vegetations, white picket fences and some reoccuring yellow bush..with a yellow border. Now the dresser matches the border.

credit, yesterday I finished every single chore in Denver...forgoing my usual solitary sit down lunch. Today my
~necklace is fixed
~my two photographs are framed
~I have the little felt pads for my chairs.
~I have the two library books I wanted.
My observation when I went into the library, bead store, bath store and craft store really relates to how I got to the space I was (formerly) into.
At each place, I had a mission, but I got distracted at each place.
~at the library, I wanted more books
~at the bead store I wanted to buy either a book or more beads
~at the craft store I wanted to look at baskets
~at the bed/bath store I actually had 4 kitchen sieves in my hand that I was ready to buy.

In each place, I came out with zero...other than what I had gone in for. I have work to do before I read more books, I have plenty of beads (and don't really "enjoy" the hobby (poor eyesight), baskets just store more stuff. I do legitimately need sieves but decided it would be much better to look/evaluate WHEN I can focus on THAT task.
credit
DH comes home this morning. I'll be working.

I did two tasks this morning I'd been putting off. I "felt" like my other stuff was done and I had time. For me, this seems like what my decluttering/owning my space is about.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #183  
helpingrachel

Oneonone Great job on completing your project for the tea room. I agree with Lexxiss you could transfer some of those skills to home maintenance. I think the good news is that it is within and with some focus could be released for your own benefit/desires. I think having my home in order benefits me the most as I am the main caregiver. I like the feeling I am getting with 6 rooms purged and now what is kept is where the item's home is to be.

Lexxiss Something is in the air! I ran errands yesterday and tried to come home with things that were 75% off but it just didn't happen. This is how I know my thought patterns have changed. It felt really good to have my returns done, new silverware bought (old clean silverware is heading to college with boys). I am impressed that you painted your dresser to suit your decor. I love the southern most point in Key West. Such a quaint area and the beauty is endearing. I love the description of your room. Makes me want to have a beer and conch fritters. (oops, not on plan).

Hubby got home last night at 12 after birds hit his plane and he was rerouted to NY. He came home to find we had all Sam's stuff packed in the garage. Shock for him that we are ahead of the game. He just left to drive to CO. to drop him off. I am leaving in 1/2 to drive a kitchen table to my oldest son, Joe--3 hours.

Lexxiss Let me know what you think of the books. I hope they both have good insights.

Loaded dishes before bed last night and did a fly thru in the kitchen, that was an automatic thought and boy did it fell good to walk down to a clean kitchen.

Last edited by helping rachel; 08-18-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #184  
persist

Thumbs up transferable skills.

Lexxiss and Helping Rachel:

Thank you both for encouraging me to see that my super-focused binge work ethic could be transferred to decluttering and cleaning.

You are right of course. I need you two to remain positive for me as I just only feel "surface-positive". The confidence that I can actually declutter and organize and make my apartment feel like a place where I want to live vs. how I usually feel which is this is where I have to live, is still tough for me to maintain and I keep getting derailed. I have started and I have seen a few weeks where I was maintaining my kitchen and I did move my vanity into my closet and I have made some steps: *credit credit credit. I will hang onto the positives to move me forward once I have some time to dedicate to the process.

Very exhausted so I need to just go veg right now. I had a successful market day so that too feels hopeful and *credit for sticking that out as well.

Persistence is such a big key to everything I am trying to achieve. I think I may do a "grand plan" of the thins I want to accomplish on the next year. This sort of thing helps me calm down and focus so I can make some (more) progress.

Bye for now. Great work you two flybabies &
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #185  
helpingrachel

Hugs to you OnebyOne! Glad market day was successful. I just drove 6 hours in the rain to take my son the other half of his college things. I am not lifting a finger tonight. It's a marathon not a sprint to change up things. I wish there was liposuction for homes and thighs. Maybe a new groupon idea!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #186  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Yes, Rachel and onebyone, this process is not a sprint to the finish. Slow and steady wins the race.
Rachel, kudos for a needed day off!
onebyone, congrats on a successful market!

Well, I have taken the day off, too, after a busy day at work. DH is home and we're watching a show about bears in Alaska. I will finish the kitchen before bed.

onebyone, you mentioned about DH helping. Well tonight we watched at PBS show discussing superfoods (J Furhman). DH is really into nutrition now. So I mention that I should start making the "sauce" and he can make kale chips in the dehydrator while I'm at work. He's like "yeah! Great! Tomorrow?" (My secret: I love the kale chips but don't especially like the time it takes to make them) Solutionwhich applies to decluttering) enlist willing help.

Ok, off to kitchen! Goodnight, friends!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 08-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #187  
persist

Quote:
Here are pics of the KW Room. The first taken a few weeks ago when I was persisting to get rid of that final bit of riff raff hanging out on the counter tops...the second taken just the other day.
Lexxiss: you seem to have trouble attaching images. If I don't resize mine they won't attach. it may be basic-sorry if I'm telling you something you know- just recheck the size.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #188  
helpingrachel

Home from the College moving frenzy. Went thru my closet with all my pants. Arranged and tagged each pants by color and size. Frustrated with myself that I only got rid of 3 pairs. Changed my shirt hangers to the soft velvet ones. Gained quite a bit of space. Moved shoes and sandals to my son's closet but want to get rid of 1/3. I am sick of clothing stuff. I have jackets from early 2000. Time for a purge and I need to walk away for a while because I'm not sure how it should look.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #189  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Monday...

I'm continuing w/FL. This week is the master bedroom. Interestingly, it is 97% clutter free, and right now it's bed free since we moved our bed downstairs to accomodate DH's knee injury.
MB Story:
Somewhere in my process I got the message that it was important that the MB be a clean and peaceful space and I did a huge transition several years ago. I pulled everything out and started over. I painted the walls/ceiling and put in new carpet.(it's pretty small) We were going to Santa Fe for a fam reunion and I purchased a very expensive silk flower arrangement (140.00) Unheard of for me. I picked new bed linens to match (a very simple pale green quilt) I bought 2 sets of matching sheets and a comfy blanket and got rid of everything else. My only artwork is of Victorian era children with their pets. (I have 3). The clutter never reentered this space. It is perfect, except:
~I didn't paint the baseboards
~I didn't paint the window frames or trim
~I didn't paint the closet
This week I will paint the first two (don't know about the closet)

When I started painting this morning the thought kept running through my mind on how we can take small chunks of time and make noticeable improvements with CONSISTENCY. I timed it....15 minutes and my East facing baseboard is done. Only 3 to go and how long did I procrastinate this??

Rachel, great observations you have on your clothing situation. You are tired of too much and will pause to make a plan. credit.

onebyone, I thought of you this morning while I was projecting. I have a thought...let me know if you'd like me to share...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #190  
helpingrachel

lexxiss

I bet you are glad that your MB is in the condition it is with a detailed-doable list. Your description of your area sounds peaceful and calm with those colors and flowers.

I sewed 3 buttons on 3 pair of shorts that I had procrastinated on all summer. I was done in 7 minutes and had moved the items maybe 10 times before I completed the task. I so agree with what you are doing, sharing and stating. It can be done, if you break it down in doable tasks and with committed action.

I was glad I was mad yesterday. I woke up refreshed and realized that If I want the "space" and areas to be refreshed, items have to go. I have to work outside the house today, but have a small plan written on what to do tonight. I also have a 30 minute egg timer that I set which has brought awareness to how much I can get done before it is time to leave for work. Funny how one of my biggest statements that I say is "I don't have time".

Weigh in day (garbage pickup) is tomorrow and I need to see what can go that is in the cutter cemetery. More to go to breath new life back into some of these spaces.

Last edited by helping rachel; 08-20-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #191  
persist

Angry phooeyness continues

Hi Decluttering Friends

The kitchen continues to get worse again. I feel myself fighting it again. I want to go on strike again. I have to tell DH don't put dirty dishes in the sink that still have clumps of food on them because then they rot in the sink and then *I* have to move the dishes, clear the dishes and then clear the sink all before I can even get to doing the dishes and I HATE ROTTING FOOD so much and DH does this because he is helping me by getting the dirty dishes in the sink.

I am tired.
I don't have much reserve left right now.
DH's condition now requires me to cook for breakfast and for dinner. Like cook everyday. I used to like that. I need to figure out how to do this so it doesn't wreck my whole day.

Sorry for how cranky I am. Eventually this too shall pass.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #192  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Rachel, it's trash/recycle day here, too. I don't haul the night before because we have a bear and it's a pain before work.

onebyone, I'm hoping your "temporary" down feelings are passing.

We had an "event" at work yesterday which kind of has me feeling down. The gal who hasn't been pulling her weight didn't show up and blamed it on everyone else. Several of us got mini lectures. It made me feel like I didn't want to be there anymore...am trying to stay positive as we all readjust.

I was feeling deflated this morning but cleaned the kitchen and cat box anyway. It made me feel better. I will try to continue to move forward.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #193  
helpingrachel

Lexxiss and OneonONe, Hugs sent your way. It can be frustrating when you do your part on something and others aren't pulling their own weight. I like your thought, this too will pass.

Maintain is what I am doing today. I ruined 2 tshirts of my husband's in the wash. May try to fix the marks. Just need to do the basics. I have an all day presentation on Thursday that I need to get memorized.

One day at a time, one step at a time.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #194  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Just wanted to say a quick hello here. I'm maintaining my losses today. Yesterday we ended up at Whole Foods for dinner so I did my big veggie/fruit shop which would usually happen on my day off. My morning has been focused on getting everything washed/dried and stored. credit. My old habit was to just get everything in the fridge, which then meant it had to be washed as I used it. I've found it's much more effective to make sure everything in the fridge IS all ready to be used. It's a step forward for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #195  
helpingrachel

Lexxiss, I so agree. I have printed my grocery lists and put them in a plastic sleeve because the truth is, I buy the same things week after week. It takes out the step of rethinking. Yes, I want fresh fruits and veggies each week and there are certain ones that I am drawn to. I am making a black bean mexican chicken salad with lime and cilantro for lunches this week.

What you did and shared is a great move toward household management and eating on plan*** success. Salads will be much easier to fix after a long day of work.

I am maintaining my routines. Credit. I do not have the time to add any projects in this week, too much work. I do have laundry all done, dishes and will be grocery shopping today. All day presentation tomorrow...Friday will re-evaluate.

Last edited by helping rachel; 08-22-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Closed Thread