Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #61  
Just watch me ...

Got some of the closet done, probably need about an hour straight to finish it, more a matter of straightening up and trying on some clothes that came back from the dry cleaners a while ago to see if they still fit

Doesn't seem like there's that much to do, maybe because I'm more comfortable with tossing what I don't need. I'm so close to the finish line....

Have a great evening all.....
Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #62  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I skipped a couple of days. I decided the resistance was due to a lack of vision so I scribbled a plan today. And emptied a box. So back to my baby steps. There's still a lot of month left for me to finish this project.
gardenerjoy I'm really feeling resistance. The two chairs I moved into the living room are full of stuff. I see: plastic bags, packsack, carrybag, books (always with the books!) clothes, and under it another bag that's for the market booth. The sink is still, mostly, clean, but the counter was AWFUL. I am completely thrown now that DH is home for his holidays.

And I have no idea whatsoever what's happened in the bedroom to our laundry. OMG it's like two mountains on either side of the entrance to the room! There are too many clothes here. I just cannot release some old t-shirts, like DH wore them when we first met t-shirts.I once saw a quilt made up of the fronts of old t-shirts, but I don't quilt and haven't even sewn for years. Like I'll fit that in too.

That paragraph is EXACTLY what I go through. I identify a problem (mountains of clothes cluttering the floor space) and then I skip to a detail that stumps me (old tshirts I am sentimentally attached to). In between these two things is a lot of stuff I do know what to do with: clothes that don't fit, I don't like, are too used up, just need to be washed. Lot's to do before I get to the tshirts that are, actually, IN A DRAWER. Ugh. A major problem is the mis-use of the bedroom closet. I shoved a giant moving box in there when we moved in, then piled more boxes in there and all the space was taken and so we can't actually hang anything up, except minimally. It's just a very poorly used closet. If I was allowed I'd install a closet organizing system but my landord would freak out. I keep thinking about getting a small set of drawers to shove in there. Is that crazy??

I'm going to make a list, again, of what to do. I always always always have to start there.

Great work you guys.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #63  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

baby steps everyone!

Yesterday was sucked up with DH and mom's medical appointments and there was no time or energy when we returned for me to do much more than unpack perishables and fix OP dinner. credit for that.

Before bed I was feeling very distressed because everything seemed out of place. I thought, I must have accomplished something....I decided to write a list of 10 things I accomplished on Thursday and 10 I wanted to accomplish on Friday. I felt much better after looking at written progress forward.
Thursday I accomplished:
1. Alaska trip expenses
2. hauled recycling to the recycle center
3. rode my bike (first time in ages!)
4. 3 boxes to the thrift store
5. hauled 5 gal. water jug and dog food into the house
6. sorted a stack of magazines as and dropped them off at mom's eye clinic
7. paid monthly 941 taxes
8. finished our company 2nd qtr. report for IRS
9. dumped compost
10. dealt with one sentimental item sitting in my office

Friday's list
1. put water jug onto dispenser
2. put a light by our bed (in dining room)
3. reorganize refrigerator
4. look in the freezer and pitch items which don't fit in DH's food plan
5. take finished puzzle to library
6. ride bike
7. give cat a bath
8. call Apple about my dysfunctional ipod
9. old bike
10. get to the bank

Sometimes a list really helps me!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #64  
helpingrachel

Hi Ladies!

Just a short break from vacation. Had my weekly weigh in and was up .8. Frustrated as I have walked everyday in this 100 degree heat for one hour and skipped lots of vacation food and drink. Oh well, steady as she goes as I have lots of decisions to give myself credit for.

I cleared 3 more boxes out and one bag to trash. Chipping away and steady as she goes is my mantra for rest of weekend.

Good vibes sent your way for energy to 'Keep letting it go".

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-06-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #65  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
I have no idea whatsoever what's happened in the bedroom to our laundry. OMG it's like two mountains on either side of the entrance to the room! There are too many clothes here. I just cannot release some old t-shirts, like DH wore them when we first met t-shirts.I once saw a quilt made up of the fronts of old t-shirts, but I don't quilt and haven't even sewn for years. Like I'll fit that in too.

That paragraph is EXACTLY what I go through. I identify a problem (mountains of clothes cluttering the floor space) and then I skip to a detail that stumps me (old tshirts I am sentimentally attached to). In between these two things is a lot of stuff I do know what to do with: clothes that don't fit, I don't like, are too used up, just need to be washed. Lot's to do before I get to the tshirts that are, actually, IN A DRAWER. Ugh.

I'm going to make a list, again, of what to do. I always always always have to start there.
onebyone, I can totally relate! For some funny reason, your post allowed me to let go of several emotional "things". A pile of paperwork from vets regarding our dogs passing AND my pup LEXISS' favorite stuffed toy. I have the memories and don't need those items any more.

One thing that really really really helped me was to give myself permission to not deal with the emotional stuff until a later time, when I was ready. When I was looking for space I had 4 catagories;
1. trash
2. reusable
3. keeping functional
4. keeping emotional

Going into a room, such as the bedroom and performing a first sort into my 4 catagories was really helpful. By acknowledging that certain clothes were worn to the point that a thrift store was going to trash them I was able to get rid of lots of stuff immediately, freeing space.
I had lots of items that no longer fit, and since I'd made the commitment not to regain they didn't need to stay. There were also items that I knew I would "realistically" never fit into again....clothes from my 30's. My big thrift pile took a dedicated day to wash/fold and deliver. freeing space.
Then I had to make room for items I needed/wanted/ and were functional....cleaning closets and drawers.
The emotional stuff was folded and stacked, which also freed space.

I have found ways to enlist the help of my DH. This was not all my mess. He has been willing (in spurts) to help haul "trash" and "recyclable" clothing. Just this morning, I encouraged him to help me with some household stuff...he was in the mood and we made great progress.

In some respects, I think it's almost impossible to deal with the emotional stuff until there has been "freed space." Perhaps you'll find out that after you get rid of trash/recyclables that you will have space for those old t-shirts....perhaps you'll come up with a creative idea....you will not know until the time is right.

Best wishes! I'm sending you supportive thoughts! Yay for making a list!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #66  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

onebyone: it's not at all crazy to put a set of drawers in a closet -- I've done that. I've even put a filing cabinet in a closet and it worked great!
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #67  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
onebyone: it's not at all crazy to put a set of drawers in a closet -- I've done that. I've even put a filing cabinet in a closet and it worked great!
I've had both in a closet, too!

I accomplished most of the items on my list of a few days ago. Some, I would not have done except for writing them on paper. I have started the process with the old bike, but it's an emotional one...will report on progress.

Since my last post I have taken more baby steps. Early this morning I was in my office looking for a box to place something I wanted to keep; some beautiful linens from the kitchenware/gourmet store I owned in Alaska. I looked at a briefcase which encased junk jewelry. I was willing to open it up AND clean it out. There were a few legitimate good items, and alot of stuff I could keep forever or let go of now. The nice earrings and charms have been put in my big jewelry box and all my old bowling pins, mismatched earrings and blah blah are gone. They went in the trash...no one else wants them and I accept that. The linens are stored nicely now.

I'm on the run, but took several minutes to put away all the above stuff AND to send off two emails to get taken off mailing lists.

Unwanted mail is clutter I don't have time to deal with. I'm grateful to get two more off my list.

Off to Veg-Fest.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #68  
helpingrachel

Taking a break from a busy day of decluttering, organizing and throwing out. Lots of good "space" exercising.

Cleaned under bathroom cabinet and both drawers. Threw out lotions and extras that have out lived their purpose.

Cleaned under 2 bookcases in FR storage area. Put all candles together and will have to purge later. Placed several books in recycle bin. Have a box of pictures to put in albums.

Cleaned out buffet in dining room. Organized all linens and glass wear. More room was made for other dishes to fit into closed area.

Cleaned middle pantry of kitchen.

Threw out 5 grocery bags of flour, sugar, expired spices ect. Now the four drawers have a labeled home, Foil, plastic bags, Baking products, spices and paper products.

Cleaned 2 cupboard out. Not sure what to do with my cookbooks. Thinking a space for hand held mixer and kitchen gadgets might be a better location for the 3 shelves. Going to sleep on it to make a decision.

Hung up sweatshirts, coats, jackets from 2 coat hook areas. Put them in winter storage. ( I know it JULY!!!!)

Done for today. Will be cleaning, writing contents of freezer and frig, and organizing menu for the next week. Cleaning 2 refrigerators is no easy task!

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-08-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #69  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Rachel, great that your food organizing for the week will be accomplished with your other tasks!

Me, work day and I slept in a bit. I unpacked groceries and took out compost last night which has already helped with my time this morning. I'm busy getting ready but I accomplished one declutter task;
~a pile of notes with addresses/phone numbers has been entered into my computer so I can pitch them.

I observed that even though my office is in "transition" that it felt much lighter this morning-probably why I could just pick up those notes and deal with them. credit.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #70  
helpingrachel

Debbie Thanks for the encouragement. It really helped me in an earlier post, when you talked about all we already do to maintain. I have to realize unless it is a weekend day, I can't do many big projects like yesterday. It has to be detailed one thing at a time. I have trash day on Tuesday and I am looking to fill a 5 gallon trash can of extra things that have outlived their purpose around here. It shouldn't be hard.

Blessings sent to all my fellow de-clutters!

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-09-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #71  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Height: 5' 6"

Arrow taking some credit

Hello

Yesterday was a real test for me. I had a friend over, inside my apartment. when she walked in she said "Oh. It looks like an artist studio." I felt happy when she said that and know it was a reference to the paintings that line the hallway right as you walk in the door. The kitchen was clear of all "food dirt" due to my maintanence of this space the past few weeks. I had only one sinkful to do to get it ready and a quick wipe took care of the counter. The floor was decent since I wet mopped it a week ago too. Maintaining this space made it feel easy to get it back into a presentable condition. It also took so little time that I was able to tackle the floor of the bathroom plus the "fixtures" if you know what I mean and that was done fast too since the bathroom is tiny. I didn't clean the tub, opting to draw the shower curtain instead. So long as the "organic" rooms are clean, I think it's ok for folks to come in. It felt GOOD. *credit*

I have not made my new to-do list. DH is still home on holiday. I have many art deadlines to meet as well. We may take a trip out of town to see prints made by my former printmaking teacher. His show looks incredible. I need the inspiration to keep moving forward with my prints. I also need to go jump in a lake. Really. I am dying to swim in a lake. I'd love to jump off a dock. I think, given my reality, that I will make a master list of really tiny infant-sized baby steps. Very small steps. I can do that and do the rest. It will help cement in my head that small incremental middle-of-the-road steps are more effective over the long term than the large, dramatic, all encompassing events I am so drawn to. It'll be good practice to reinforce this new slower but more consistent outlook I am trying to adopt to live a happier and ultimately more productive life.

Good job everyone... you help me to keep on keeping on!

Bye!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #72  
Green Tomatoes

I've had a hard time making this a daily thing. But I made progress today, so credit for that!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #73  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Great job everyone!

Baby steps....today I will make two file folders and insert the pertinent items that have been sitting on my desk.

I also pulled out my beading kit to restring two sets of broken beads (one my very favorite).

I will do my best to finish both of these projects.

ETA-files done and one necklace restrung. DH has a project for me so I've put the second necklace and the beading kit away. My old habit would be to leave it all laid out (for days or weeks) until I finished. I don't need to do that today.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-10-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #74  
helpingrachel

Progress not perfection! Sounds like everyone is doing their daily duties to chip away at the clutter/to do piles.

I only finished one frig last night. As I was standing over the frig it started to leak water. I had talked with my husband and let him know that I thought it might have been leaking as the wood floor is bowed beneath it. So it is 18 years old and I may be shopping for a new one. Still thinking on what may be causing the leak and what is the cost to fix it.

Planning on filling a 5 gallon trash can of excess today for trash day.
Planning on finishing the freezer and second frig in the basement.
Planning on cleaning out my car, decluttering that area and washing.

Last edited by helping rachel; 07-10-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #75  
Green Tomatoes

I think that I'm resisting the clean-up of the corner in my office because of the file carts. I love my file carts. Fifteen years ago, when I was running a publishing business, they turned me from a total mess into a sane, organized, and productive person.

But a lot has changed in fifteen years. I have files in my file carts, but I look through them rarely, if at all. The file carts worked best when they held material that I needed daily. I put files in my file carts hoping that will prompt me to look at it daily but it doesn't work and hasn't worked in years.

The downside of file carts is that they are a visual clutter. It's one thing when it's a clutter of daily used items, quite another when it adds to the visual clutter of a room without adding to the functionality.

I want my study to feel more peaceful and the file carts are distracting from that.

There are alternatives.

A lot of the kind of things I put in my file carts -- ideas for gardens and house decor and travel -- are probably best handled online now, by Pinterest or Evernote.

The few things that I want in physical form could, perhaps, be better stored in file boxes. I'm thinking of Debbie's thing this morning of putting the beading kit away instead of leaving it out. If these sorts of files are going to be around to represent projects that I someday want to work on, they can at least be stored neatly away in boxes.

So, that's my baby step for today: entertain the idea that I no longer need my file carts.
Closed Thread