Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks - yesterday was mostly OK. I stayed in my calorie range despite everything about the day changing. We went to brunch at the last minute. DH came home from the drugstore with candy. (he loves it - and he is not overweight -not fair - oh well). I had a tootsie roll pop and counted it in. Everything about dinner changed because of the lunch change. I managed to stay within my calories despite the change.....until I could not fall asleep (again). At 3am I ate/drank cereal, wine and caramel corn. I ended throwing the caramel corn in the trash with dishsoap upon it. This not sleeping is new for me. I think it is related to the recent stress.

I had many twirls yesterday and used my resistance tetniques when in challenging sitations. Credit.

I have planned for a healthy beck day and had my on plan breakfast.

Carry on!
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Default discouraged

Well, I think I may stop getting on the scale every day. I am at 164 this morning; just a few days ago I was under 162. This is discouraging. Not enough so that I am eating cookies, but you know.

I wonder if once a week WIs would work...
Guess I'll try and see.

This time of year scares me, I just realized that this morning, on the scale, looking at that number...
Last year at this time, was the Mystery Weight Gain, and I'm terrified that it will happen again.

CREDITS:
-the treadmill is turned ON and waiting
-I got out of bed before the alarm
-I have planned everything for today, including 3 snacks
-I haven't given up

Peace everyone.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #33  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I got my first new low in three weeks. I see a correlation between complaining about stalled weight here and getting it to move again! Maybe I should complain more!

WI: -0.35kg (new low), Exercise: +90 180/1800 minutes for September, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

madrikh: glad things are going better for you and you feel able to hit the treadmill more often. That's my exercise of choice at the moment -- now that I discovered I can watch Dr. Who episodes from Netflix on my iPad while walking on the treadmill at the same time.

maryann: yay for licking that "I'll re-start on Monday" mentality! That's real progress!

CeeJay: hooray for all the credits!

RobinW: waving back! Glad you managed a weekend off!

seadwaters: I'm working on time management issues now, too. I started a book called 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam. The introductory material is pretty convincing that I really do have more time than I think. The first real working step is to keep a time diary for at least a week, so I'm sending this back to the library temporarily while I do that.

maryblu: sounds like a wonderful weekend!

BillBlueEyes: your weekend sounds pretty wonderful, too. Love the warm tomato sandwich!

Beverlyjoy: yay for all the credits even with multiple changes in the day. Sorry you're still dealing with insomnia. Are you hungry when you're awake? Would it help to have a plan for what to eat if you find yourself eating in the middle of the night, so that it feels more controlled? And/or would a change in your plan for the day help keep you from being hungry in the middle of the night? If you're not hungry, could you make a plan to do something else -- perhaps working on a handcraft while watching some prerecorded shows that you don't normally get around to watching?

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 10-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Red face Oh, the LA County Fair!

Hello to my Forum, and thanks for all the inspiring words . . . I very much appreciate the various discussions and topics, and the supportive, embracing atmosphere.

Today is a post of positives and negatives. Let's save the best for last, eh?

So we took the family to the LA County Fair on Saturday, where I indulged in Fair Fare. Let's just say I got my fix of fried goodness. This wasn't planned, BUT, I didn't get out of control -- lots of the fare was shared! And I got immediately back on track: dinner that night was a spinach salad with lots of broccoli and light O&V dressing.

Sunday was another food challenge, a family BBQ, which takes several hours (we have a very small grill and a large family) and has, in the past, resulted in lots of grazing grazing grazing. I ate more than I had mentally planned, and did just a little bit of kitchen standing eating. But, CREDITS -- I took care of myself first, before jumping in to help with the cooking, by working out. I also resisted eating during every "course" that came off the grill. Instead, I ate two courses, all sitting down: once, grilled corn on the cob, no additives. For the main course I waited until all had been cooked, and moderately filled a plate.

::ruminating:: Seems like this was more of a positive experience than I had at first thought. Cool.

Well, what is truly positive is the result of my monthly measuring: I am down 10 inches (all over, though most significantly around my stomach and waist), and about five pounds. YAY!

This seems to have been a reasonable task to accomplish, so I think I will set these #s as my goal for October: FIVE POUNDS AND TEN INCHES. Coaches, is that a reasonable goal, or am I going too easy on myself?

Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I had a couple of days where nothing went according to plan and my eating reflected it, but I pulled it together yesterday. I got up, went for my weekly long run. Then the plan I had for the day fell apart, but my eating didn’t. I got back from my run and DH needed my help. Someone had called looking to buy some rams; so we just grabbed some food on the go. I made the healthiest decision I could. It was a good day and it is always rewarding when someone who knows a lot about sheep thinks your sheep look really good. He’s an old rancher and they don’t give out compliments easily. We went to my niece’s b-day party last night and had a good, healthy dinner.

My day today isn’t shaping up the way I thought it would, but that’s a good thing. DH had a project for me this AM. I was waiting for him to start, but something else came up. Now I have the day to myself and am grateful for that.

MaryContrary, great job minimizing Fair Fare damage and for getting back on track and getting some veggies. Sounds like you made improvements to old BBQ behavior, so credit for that and for taking the time to recognize the positive. Congrats on 10 in and 5 lbs gone forever! Sound like you deserve a mini-reward.

Gardenerjoy, congrats on the new low and yay for complaining that gets that scale moving again. I think your exchange diet is interesting and obviously working, even though there is a lot of guestimation. That may be working in your favor. Us calorie counters tend to forget that counting calories is an art not a science—something you’ve already figured out on your plan.

Madrikh, those daily weight fluctuations can be frustrating and confusing. We all have a different relationship with our scale, so you just need to figure out what works for you. I like weighing everyday because it gives me some perspective on those daily fluctuations and that daily number will let me know if the lbs are creeping back on.

Beverlyjoy, ouch for trouble sleeping. I’ve had a bit of that recently, myself. I’m blaming it on weird weather, but who knows. I’m thinking about doing some relaxation before bed to counter it. Some gentle passive stretches and breathing exercises. Maybe something like that would be helpful for you.

BillBE, LOL at “Vegetarian returning from the hunt.” I love the idea of a modest sized meal with friends. I don’t know where we got the idea that celebrations require ridiculous amounts of food. Kudos for choosing grapes over cookies. Yay for monster tomatoes in October. If I’d have known we would be having such a hot fall, I wouldn’t have given up on my plants so easily.

Maryblu, sounds like you had a great weekend. Yay for all the activity and great job eating sensibly through it all.

Seadwaters, kudos for getting those PM snacks under control. After a busy week and weekend, I think you definitely deserve a day of down time. No need to feel guilty over a lack of motivation. But the book definitely sounds like something I could use!

RobinW, you deserve a day not doing a darn thing! Yay for having a DH who sees that. Hope you can now face the new week re-energized.

CeeJay, kudos for 3 days OP, and one of those days in the city no less. LOL at “a whole wheat 6 inch sub with nothing crazy on it.”

Maryann, great job getting back OP after a bad day and for taking the time to figure out what went wrong. It’s frustrating to go off plan, but if you learn from it, it’s not a waste.

Woodland, great job hanging on while having a hard day emotionally. Hugs while dealing with those emotions.

Lexxiss, sounds like you’re undertaking a huge project! Great job tackling it and for feeling strong emotionally and with your food. My DH goes hunting out here on the ranch. We have lots of good hunting. He just wanted to camp out by himself to get the full effect.

AnneWonders, waving back. Good to see you pop by.

Waving to anyone else I missed!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Afternoon to all.
Home computer is down so I am writing at school. The question, Who else is reading this? So, briefly . . . weight a little higher. Probably not from Off Plan episode Sat. but from cycle. OP today and yesterday. I have copied Stage 1 check list in pink book and am checking off tools for a week just to tighten up behaviors which are getting a little sloppy. Overreacted with my son sleeping in. I apologized and credited myself for NOT slipping into morbid self haterd for being a bad mother.
Personals tom.
Mary Ann

Last edited by maryann; 10-04-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Damage Control

OMG, BillBE, parish the thought of looking for Lutefisk. Sorry I brought it up. It is an *embarrassment to any self-respecting Scandinavian. Let's just say the Vikings got carried away a bit while raping and pillaging. What a bad idea. Take perfectly good cod and soak in lye until it becomes a stinky soggy sponge. I really shouldn't worry; you won't get the stuff past your nose. Instead I should tell you the story my mom used to tell about seeing it stacked up in slabs outside stores at Christmas time and what the dogs used to do to it when they smelled it!

Still being carried away by fall splendor and great weather. Taking time off this week to hike and enjoy, plus work in alotta yard work. Food should fall in line, as there are more important things for now.

Shout out to all.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Tuesday at home

Hi Coaches

So far an on-plan day and I have already made lunch for tomorrow when I made it for today. I am "working" at home today which means I am fighting with the computer again (sigh) and looking at more time management stuff. I think having the laptop stolen and then replaced would solve a lot of that.

I can't find Covey's "7Habits" - probably lent it. But found a PDF version which I will read on breaks - wonderful.

Also looked at the time management reference that GardenerJoy mentioned. Now I have to stop looking at it all and get some work done - but it is all relevant to try and make space for dieting, planning and exercise. All difficult for me.

Shepherdess - Credit for pulling it together when things fell apart. And have a good day to yourself
Beverlyjoy - Ouch for not sleeping (and having caramel corn in the house!). The only way I can deal with an over-active mind in the middle of the night is to breathe - meditatively - while lying there. And it usually works after about 45 mins. Otherwise I wind myself up and have to get up and work at 3am (or play computer games). Fortunately I don't think of food then - about the only time I don't actually!
gardenerjoy - Yay for a new low! I have had a look at 168 minutes and downloaded the log - I think I will scare myself with how much time I waste. I had created several logs to do the same but hadn't thought of including sleep time etc
MaryContrary - Great work with moderation at the family BBQ - and for finding it a positive experience. Yay for lost pounds and inches
madrikh - Peace to you to - it is difficult when the weight isn't shifting and you are doing all the right things
BillBE - great restraint to have no seconds of what sounds like a delicious meal
maryann - Credit for on-plan couple of days and for no self-recriminations when less than perfect. Apologising for being in the wrong is pretty cool.
CeeJay - Waving - hope all is going to plan

Have a good day Beckies

_________
Cheryl
Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

A couple of dancing carrots for everyone:

Giving myself credit for:

weighing in
eating mostly on plan-- was doing job interviews all day, and one of the others doing the interviews with me brought a box of those mini Halloween chocolate bars and was eating them in between the interviews as we rated- I ate 4 of them and then thought- STOP- why am I doing this--- and stopped. Yay.
posting here.
Planning tomorrow and packing my lunch.
Didn't really do anything fun today but did listen to some wicked-awesome tunes in the car on the way to and from work (My Morning Jacket album-Evil Urges).

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #40  
KAM

S/C/G: 163/154.5/133

Height: 5'4"

Default Checking In

Hello Fellow Beck Buddies,

Checking in from the weekend. I am very happy to report although the weekend and Monday were nonstop I managed to stay OP. I weighed in today down two pounds. I have now lost six pounds in two weeks. Yay!

Today I should have moved into phase two of SB but I think I will stay one more work on phase I. I do not feel confident that I am ready to add some of the carbs in yet. Although I managed to stay OP I have not dedicated much time to my workbook and I know how dangerous that can be for me.

I would be fooling myself and be right back in the same sinking boat as before if I do not get back to my Beck Workbook. So one more week on phase one and some focus on building lifelong eating skills.

I will be back to check in with all tomorrow. In the meantime, wishing you a great and successful Beck day!

KAM

Last edited by McKt; 10-05-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had a meeting during lunch where food was provided. I knew the person who would order the food - we chat every now and then about walking - and asked her two weeks ago to order some salads with broiled chicken in addition to the usual fat deli-meats sandwiches and fat bags of potato chips. She did, I had one. Now that's planning ahead with a tad of imagination. And, a big platter of brownies, which I skipped when serving myself. However, they were then passed around the table. Again I had none. But then, they landed right in front of me because the guy to my right (thin as a green bean) was chomping them the entire meeting. Not About Me worked for that. But the big deal, I didn't reach out for the nut crumbs that were less than 12 inches away. A 90 minute CREDIT moi.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. They had both FREE Bear Naked Granola and FREE unmentionables, but they weren't touching so it wasn't a problem.

maryblu - In New England we take good cod and make Scrod out of it. It's really yummy - worth trying, but you gotta get to Boston since it seems to have remained a local dish. [OK, taking your word for it and scratching Lutefish off my Bucket List.]

CeeJay - Ouch for Halloween chocolate bars with Kudos for stopping. Those things are hard to stop eating once started.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on the new low. hmmmmm . . . would think, although it's a new idea, that The Complaining Diet might be hard to find a publisher for, LOL.

Shepherdess - Congrats for harvesting a compliment for your sheep; nice when diligent work is recognized.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch for sleeping issues - it's difficult when sleep is out of whack. Kudos for soaping that caramel corn - maybe next time it's purchased it can be kept hidden under some greasy tools in the garage.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for continuing to work on conquering time management. Look forward to hearing suggestions - I dread the thought of being held accountable for all 168 hours of my week by someone with a spreadsheet.

Marci (madrikh) - Sending supportive thoughts as you work through the anniversary of the "Mystery Weight Gain." You could talk to yourself like you would to your child that it's not the bath tub drain monster that's out to get you.

MaryContrary - Kudos for your Fair Fare Family Affair weekend. With Double Kudos for seeing your success as "cool." My take is that 5 pounds and 10 inches is a fine goal for October - that's a lotta inches.

maryann - Kudos for standing down that insidious thought of being a bad mother. That must be the most common thought for parents and the least useful, which makes it all the more delicious that you just barreled through it. You got a lucky kid.

McKt - Congrats on six pounds in two weeks, with Kudos for thoughtfully making a decision on which phase of South Beach.

Readers -
Quote:
day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

How Claire Changed

To encourage herself to exercise, Claire did the following:
....... . .
  • She went back to reading her Response Cards before she started walking to remind herself of the benefits of losing weight that she'd listed at the beginning of the diet, as well as the benefits of exercise (see Day 9 on pages 107-112).
....... . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 252.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-05-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning Everyone!

Things are going pretty good. I'm getting in my walks and some "Body Electric" on PBS. Maintaining at 194 (a little water weight this a.m.). Need to get back onto a more solid plan. Been "winging" it lately, which is o.k., but I'm much more motivated when I'm counting calories and watching the deficits.

We got more siding done this weekend. Part of the project was moving the satellite. It went really well.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone!!

MaryContrary: 10 inches!!?? Give yourself like 30 pats on the back....that is AMAZING!! ( I was being all pleased with myself for 1.5 in off the hips)

AmberPR: I think I'll adopt your very practical way of looking at a higher number on the scale: "a little water weight this a.m.".

BillBE: Thank you, I'll remember that: the bathtub monster!!

gardnerjoy: I would buy The Complaining Diet; as you can tell, I'm all for honesty

for everyone else !

Credits:
-OP yesterday, except skipping the dip for my raw veggies and instead having a spoon of peanut butter later.
-walked on the treadmill
-checking in here
-got on the scales even though I felt afraid :WI 161.4. (someone PLEASE remind me that an increase is most likely temporary, IF it happens again! Thank you)
-added more raw produce to yesterday's and today's plan
-15 days on MY new medication
-planning a walk on the TM today + yoga. Hope my headache subsides soon.

Thanks again for all the wonderful support. So glad I found this place!

Marci
Old 10-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Yesterday was mostly OP. My afternoon snack was larger than it needed to be. I need to be more careful when I’m working indoors and having a snack.

I did my weights yesterday. Didn’t feel like it; did it anyways. I also got some spontaneous exercise playing tag with my dog. We both think playing in the falling leaves in the yard is just too fun to miss. There was a Great Horned Owl on the roof. I love owls. We have a resident flock of “wild” turkeys that roost in the trees above our house. At dusk they use the roof as a midway point when flying up into the trees. They line up like airplanes on a runway. I was wondering how the owl would change their flight patterns. He was just watching them land near him then fly into the trees until one of the toms decided he didn’t like a bird of prey near them and chased him off. This has nothing to do with anything. I just thought it was cool.

Maryann, kudos for having a sane reaction to a little higher number on the scale. Good job making that check list to keep habits from slipping.

Maryblu, trying to keep breakfast down after reading your description of Lutefisk. Yay for food falling into line. I love it when everything comes together.

Seadwaters, yuck for fighting with computer. I hate that kind of work! Great job staying OP during a frustrating task. LOL at putting down the time management book to get stuff done.

CeeJay, great job stopping the Halloween chocolate bar madness. It’s that time of year again when we apparently think it’s a good idea to have candy out all the time. Thanks for the reminder to be vigilant.

McKt, congrats on 6 lbs down! That’s a great reward for staying OP while life got hectic. Kudos for recognizing that you should stay on phase 1 of SBD. Studies show that diets are more effective when we tailor them to our needs.

BillBE, those brownies were like a bad horror movie. Great job flexing that resistance muscle for so long! LOL at uncontaminated Bear Naked Granola. Glad they had a non-gender specific sample for you.

AmberPr, yay for a productive day getting the siding on the house! Kudos for maintaining while winging it and for recognizing that being a little more careful works better for you.

Madrikh, the weight gain is temporary! Kudos for facing your fear and stepping on that scale. I like regular weigh-ins because they helped me get over the fear of those fluctuations. If you stay on plan, you will see it on the scale eventually.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #45  
Green Tomatoes

I forgot to weigh myself this morning -- first time in weeks. Oh well. We're busily getting ready to leave town later in the week.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +75 255/1800 minutes for September, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Closed Thread