Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #121  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Here are photos as promised.

The bridge is part of a recent "Front Door" project that was conceived as a model for how small cities and towns can decorate their interstate entrances. The Victorian building is the Bartholomew County Courthouse.

The old brick building is what remains of an earlier complex of Cummins buildings, now surrounded by a modern complex of headquarters offices. The glass atrium on the brick building is part of the employee lunchroom seating --they get lakeside dining!

Even the park bathrooms in Columbus, Indiana are architecturally significant! Note that the roof line forms a W for Women. On the other side, it's reversed, forming an M for Men.

WI: +0.7kg, Exercise: +40 725/1800 minutes for October, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: glad your back is responding to the treatments that you can give it at this time and I'm sorry for your continued health woes, but love having you here posting about them. Yay for DGS making you laugh!

madrikh: A great deal of thought goes into "off plan" for me these days (thus, the long paragraph explaining my ice cream sundae). I have a (fortunately small) list of foods that trigger cravings that I wouldn't eat under any circumstances. We struggled some with breakfasts on our trip, but the one thing I didn't allow myself to consider was any menu item that included a biscuit because I knew one biscuit would trigger a week of craving everything from quesadillas to potato chips. It is just not worth it to me. There are also certain behaviors that I wouldn't engage in under any circumstances because they are too much about who I used to be and never want to be again, so no eating alone in the car and no eating anything purchased at gas stations or drug stores. In general, I would avoid all highly processed foods, because that is a major theme of how I have changed. Also, I would always include vegetables because I worked too hard to identify as a person who likes vegetables to allow for a treat day that had none -- I split DH's salad before I dipped a spoon in my ice cream sundae. And, I now want to be very conscious of appropriate portion sizes. So, yes to the rare planned off day, especially when traveling, as long as it contains no triggering foods or behaviors and as long as there are veggies and the portion sizes match up with my new way of eating and not my old way. So, not that off of an off day.

MinniePaul: welcome! Congrats on the weight loss progress that you've made so far. I am a happily unemployed librarian.

Lexxiss: yay for being back in your food groove!

BillBlueEyes: hope you enjoy your sardines this week and good job making a plan to get a little variety in next week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridge-for-web.jpg (36.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg cummins-for-web.jpg (34.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg bathroom-for-web.jpg (58.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Stayed OP yesterday, despite all the challenges. There were lots of chips and desserts out to snack on during breaks. I packed a cooler with apples and cheese sticks. I was the only one who bothered with it, but it was a lifesaver. It held me over until about 2:00 when I could get back to the house and have a healthy lunch. Got my exercise in the corrals.

Gardenerjoy, sounds like you did well on your trip. I love the idea of an ice cream sunday for lunch. And only eating until satisfied and leaving the rest is impressive!

Beverlyjoy, ouch for still dealing with pulled muscle. Glad you have such a cute grandson to cheer you up. Kudos for staying OP through the discomfort.

Madrikh, interesting question about a “planned” day off. I think it depends on what you mean by a day off. If it is a day where you eat your way through the kitchen, it’s probably not helpful. But if you are feeling overwhelmed by your diet, it may be helpful to skip some of the more difficult things for the day. For example, if you are measuring your food and counting calories, maybe skip that, but continue to eat sitting down. The point of Beck is to get control over your eating rather than the other way around. So it may be better to make conscious decisions to loosen up to avoid a wreck later on. Hope that’s helpful.

Welcome MinniPaul! What MA are you working towards? Cautiously optimistic is a good thing. Beck is different. She doesn’t offer a silver bullet, but she does break the whole long process down into manageable steps.

Lexxiss, LOL at finding cards in your Kitchenaid bowl. I can relate. Glad you’re getting back into the groove. Thanks for the idea of baking first thing in AM . I’m definitely stronger then.

BillBE, yay for sardines and man salad as a go-to lunch when you don’t have time to make a batch of something. Kudos for thinking ahead to next week, when the go-to lunch will get a little tired.

RE step-mother-in-law: I’ve never figured out how to distinguish between my two MIL’s. I just feel fortunate to get along with both of them.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #123  

Gardenerjoy, beautiful pictures. Now I really must go!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Day off -not "Off Plan" but a real day off - of work that is. I am continuing the long process of applying to MFA programs. This work always makes me VERY hungry. I intend to take it easy, take a few breaks, maybe a nap followed by Pilates in the late afternoon. Sometimes I feel guilty that I have the luxury in my life to spend a day taking breaks. Somehow I keep remembering the people who work 12 hours in the salt mines in some far away LDC (lesser developed country) who probably have blisters on their feet and threadbare clothing. I think of this and feel I don't have the right to complain or be tired, to be blue or take it easy. This thinking of mine is not helpful and often leads me to the carbs. I have the life I have. God gave it to me. He intends for me to take care of it. He doesn't make junk. I work most of the week with children who have little. I need to make sure I maintain myself so I am around for them in the coming years.
Deep thoughts for a Thursday morning but I guess I just need to tell the truth about how I try to sabotage myself when I plan to be good to myself. My DH summarizes all my thinking very efficiently. He says, "Mary Ann, get off your back, for God's sake."
gardenerjoy: thoughtful response to madrikh's "day off" question. I think you were right on. There are certain foods I can never eat because I am completely incapable of mdoeration or sanity. There are some people I know who also fit into that category.
shepardess: where would we be without cheesesticks and apples. I shudder to think. another thoughtful response to the "day off" question. I agree, that it is never really the food that is the problem. It is the behavior around the food that stops me from progressing.
minniepaul: welcome.
bbe: we have a family of wild turkeys at the ranch. we have declared our place "sanctuary" for the coming season.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckies - my Thursday check in. Wednesday was a healthy food day. I am feeling comfy with my food exchange plan. I did my Beck ‘paperwork/journal’ and many tasks - planning, logging, leave a bite. Credit. I did not read arc or rc. I think I am grateful for what I mustered up Beckwise to do.

My back is starting to feel better. I am happy for that. My surgery is October 21. The first week my foot will be in a soft wrap. I was told to stay in one area and not to move around much at. After that first week they will put a hard cast on it (I'll be non weight bearing for apprx nine weeks). I have an electric scooter from my Aunt and I will rent a knee walker too. The truth is I am not very strong. I know I couldn’t do crutches - so I’ve got to figure out the next best things. The doctor doesn’t really like the scooter idea…says folks lose their muscles if they use them. My question is: “How do over weight/obese people recover when they need to be non weight or partial weight bearing and they aren‘t very strong?” I’ve looked through Google to get some ideas. I 've gotten a few. I am trying to stay very positive - that it will all work out in the end.

I had foot surgery on the other foot 25 years and did ‘hopping around with my walker’. I ended up needed a scope on the hopping knee later on because it got injured. I am not going that route.

I am reading some of the health forums on my surgery. Once again, I need stay away from them. Do the folks only with the ‘horror stories’ post on health forums?

Maryann - it’s really OK to take a time off for yourself. - regardless of how other people live around the world. It’s your life to live. You never relaxing won’t change other people’s lives. If you want you could do some extra ‘good deeds” for others. Treat yourself the same as you would treat a good friend.

Shepardess - Many hooray’s for good choices and planning during a working session. Yay!

gardener joy - your trip sounds like it was terrific. Wonderful pictures, indeed. Kudo’s for leaving food on your plate while out of town.

Billbe - glad your have your ‘back up’ sardines to eat in a pinch. Planning ahead for times like these are key. Wild turkey’s are fun to see. I saw a flock? -of them in a glen in a park last year. Noisy!

Lexiss - glad you are home and closer to your normal routine. So happy to hear you’re back in your ‘food groove’. Yippee!

Minnie Paul - WELCOME!!! Dr. Beck ideas, for me, gives a guide to learning to live with food in a healthful and sane manner. Someone called it a blue print. It really is.

Mandrake - do I take a planned day off. I guess I have and do. But - I don’t know how planned it often is. honestly. It is risky for me because I really don’t know if I’ll be able to hop back on my plan easily. If it has to do with special occasions, I need to remind myself that I could have a reason for a special occasion for 5 days a week.

Mctk - credit for going to bed and deciding to just not eat any more for the day. It’s really true about the ‘resistance muscle’…the more you use it, the more natural it comes (or less hard, anyway)

Missvitaility - HI…nice to meet you.

Have a great day, folks!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-14-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #126  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I am sticking with my plan, but I've had a hungry afternoon...I didn't have protein with lunch and can feel it. I'm going to take a nap and have an early dinner. I read my green book again last night and may hit a few pages before napping. It was a beautiful fall day here, especially nice at the pool with all the falling leaves. What a great way to exercise!

Beverlyjoy, glad to hear you are feeling comfy with your food plan. As I think towards your surgery, the best suggestion I could give you would be to take your everyday threads on 3FC and commit to everyday-honest. I find that even if I am not doing great, I do much better when I am here every single day. I think the other things will work out, too. I saw one of those knee scooters the other day-they look pretty functional. I think you could actually get exercise with one of those as you start feeling better.

BillBlueEyes, I had a great visual of that turkey at the intersection. I'm glad you like sardines!

maryann, I've never mentioned it, but my DH's family is still in Oroville and his family goes back quite far in the Paradise Concow area. I love it there but haven't been back in awhile. Even before I got to the part in your post where you decided that "this thinking of mine is not helpful", I was thinking the same thing. Great job identifying it now you can work at changing it.

Shepherdess, great choices during a busy day with many justifiable food opportunities. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on a planned day off. It's given me insight.

gardenerjoy, thanks for the pics! and for the detail about the thought process you go through before eating off plan. I am in the process of setting up some "me" rules. Things that don't apply to others...whole grain, unsweetened oatmeal sends me on a binge every time.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Hi All,

Am enjoying reading everyone's recent comments. The 'day off' concept is interesting and your remarks are helpful.

Personally, I've gotten comfortable following my Beck skills, so I try to avoid how I feel when I don't. I like reaching toward my goals/advantages, and usually that feeling outweighs impulses to act otherwise. A day off would imply that I am not comfortable on plan, and that's not true.

What I try to do instead is listen to myself and if I"m having some craving (like recently pizza), I look for a way to have it but within my plan. I can't have good pizza very often because I like lots of small meals, but if I satisfy the craving one day and still stay within my units, I'm willing to negotiate fewer small snacks that day to have it. What a different feeling that gives me than getting off plan !!

Still warm in Colorado. Roasted pumpkin seeds yesterday and DH made pumpkin soup with the rest of it. Made more canned tomatoes today, and tomorrow will go dig up more potatoes. It seems like our frost is so late in coming, but I'm certainly not going to complain.

Take care everyone, and keep going with all the Beck goodness !

Woodland
Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 305/284/160

Height: 5' 8 1/2"

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

I picked my two diets (primary and back-up) last night. My primary is going to be diabetic exchanges since that has been my most successful attempt at weightloss thus far. I lost 50 pounds about 5 years ago doing that. The secondary one was a bit harder to come by. I thought about calorie counting or something like that, but it's pretty similar to exchanges (same animal, different counting system). So, I'm honestly a little stuck on the second diet. I don't want to pick something that is going to cause me to obsess about food, so something like South Beach or another diet that eliminates some kind of food group/category seems out of the realm of possibilities. Anyway, I'll keep it in mind as I go forward.

I am actually going to get a master's of divinity (which seems like a crazy title, I think the word "divinity" actually implies you can't really master it, but oh well). The plan is to be a pastor when I'm finished. We'll see what happens.

BillyBlueEyes--the minnie does stand for minneapolis. Minnie and Paul are two names associated with the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, and they are used with the Minnesota Twins. I am a big fan of the Twins...unfortunately, they were not so successful in the post season bid.

I'm reading the pink book. I saw that there was another one available (green?), but I wasn't sure I needed the food plan, so I went with the basic. I'd welcome feedback on which was better/more helpful, etc.

I hope everyone has a great night and talk to you soon!!
Old 10-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #129  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had an epiphany when I realized that I planned to run an errand at lunch yesterday - I could stop at a food truck and get a lunch and split it over two days instead of two days of sardines. Got peppered beef with broccoli, CREDIT moi, so that's what I'll have today also.

For our trip this weekend, it feels so funny planning our air flight meals in advance. It's sorta nice to be spared having to eat whatever is offered. We'll make the same peanut butter sandwiches that we'd take when headed out in the woods birding because we like them.

Gym was gym, CREDIT moi. I did get back to my full count of chest presses. I'm still a bit amazed that after a four day break instead of a three day break I lose capability. And just as amazed that it comes right back.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the photos. I like the idea of a lakeside view for the employees.

Shepherdess - Yay for apples and cheese sticks instead of chips and desserts. Kudos for the corral workout and Double Kudos for getting along with both MIL's - a gift to yourself and your DH both.

Beverlyjoy - The knee walker sounds great; I just looked at one on Amazon for $174.98 which might be competitive with nine weeks of rental.
Exercising while disabled is a challenge; Kudos for seeking a plan. Will you do any work with a physical therapist after your operation? [LOL at how noisy turkeys can be.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for exercise at the pool; is it heated?

Woodland - Sound strategy there, "I'm willing to negotiate fewer small snacks that day to have it" - finding a way to avoid the feeling of being deprived seems important for staying on plan. I love, love, love roasted pumpkin seeds. We do them every year when we carve a pumpkin.

maryann - Interesting that guilt for luxury can be a powerful Sabotaging Thought - those evil little things slip in anywhere there's an opening. I appreciate your level headed reasoning to get out of them. Love the notion of a wild turkey sanctuary.

MinniePaul - Kudos for marching forward and choosing your two diets - an important step. From a population of less than 5 million, Minnesota is well represented on this Beck forum; you're its third active poster. Condolences for Y*nquees abuse has already been offered, but I extend it again. I've just become a BIG Texas fan, for the obvious reason, LOL.

The pink book is a great way to learn the Beck strategies; since it's what I did (before the green book) I'm prejudiced. Different folks have used both, as well as the workbook alone, with success. Beck did some tweaks in the green book that are worth catching up with later.

Readers -
Quote:
day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

How You Can Change

. . .
Give yourself lots of credit. Every small step in the right direction deserves credit. Reward yourself for exercising - just not with unplanned food!
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 253.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-15-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #130  

We had lunch yesterday with the new archivist at the college’s Western History Center. She finished the Leadville 100 a few months ago. That’s a 100 mile run in Leadville, CO, elev. 11,000. I told my DH that it’s not fair that she’s smart, attractive and friendly and she can run 100 miles. She said she was being bad at lunch and ordered a burger and fries. I noticed she didn’t even come close to finishing either. I was good at lunch and stuck with a veggie sandwich and a salad.

No formal exercise yesterday. A friend came over in the evening and we messed around with horses. That gave just about the right amount of activity. I had planned to keep it gentle yesterday anyways.

Maryann, yay for the excitement of applying for an MFA program. Ouch for the process making you hungry (maybe anxiety or some other emotional state?). Sounds like you have a good plan in place to combat it.

Beverlyjoy, kudos for being so proactive about finding a good way to recover from your surgery. It sounds like the recovery will be tough, but your attitude is good. Yay for being comfy with your exchange program.

Lexxiss, great job dealing sanely with hunger and for pinpointing the problem. Yay for beautiful weather that makes pool exercise all the more enjoyable.

Woodland, yay for feeling comfortable on your Beck plan. It sounds like you have a good way of dealing with cravings. Pumpkin soup and roasted pumpkin seeds are some of my favorite fall foods.

MinniPaul, yay for going back to a diet that has worked well for you in the past. As for the second diet. Good luck finding a second diet. It’s good to know your style and find something that works for you. Your MA in divinity sounds interesting. My MA is in Religious Studies, meaning I like to watch what people working towards mastering divinity.

BillBE, yay for two food for two healthy lunches so you can save the sardines for another day. Kudos for regaining your former strength after a short break. I guess thinking about how quickly strength is lost is a good motivation to keep going to the gym.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #131  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday included a last-minute lunch at the Japanese restaurant. I brought home leftovers that I think DH will eat and be happy staying home for lunch today which will be helpful to my plan.

WI: +0.3kg, Exercise: +50 775/1800 minutes for October, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Shepherdess: yay for staying op through challenges and work that counts as exercise. Thanks for your story about the woman who "was being bad" but didn't eat nearly all of what she was served.

maryann: good job thinking through your sabotaging thoughts -- they come from all directions, don't they?

Beverlyjoy: it is quite possible that only people with horror stories post them on forums -- the ones who did well are too busy moving on with their lives! So do you have some ideas for how not to lose your muscles while using the scooter? Exercises for the parts of you that are unaffected by the surgery? Like BBE, I curious if physical therapy is part of the mix. Physical therapists can be pretty amazing and may even help you use crutches or a wallker in ways that you don't hurt yourself.

Lexxiss: good job posting here and making a plan to read the green book in the midst of dealing with a hungry afternoon.

Woodland: yay for feeling comfortable with the Beck skills and realizing that on plan feels better than off plan -- that's a great place to be!

MinniePaul: I'm on my fourth different plan -- all exchange type plans so not very different from each other, but they felt new to me and that's what I needed at the time. I would find calorie counting extremely different even though, as you said, it's really just a different way of counting. For some people, it's that different way of counting that makes all the difference. The diet in Beck's green book worked well for awhile for me. It's an exchange plan augmented by calorie counting. It is much lower in carbs than anything I've tried before, but not as low as South Beach.

BillBlueEyes: good job on solving your sardines every day dilemma. Kind of cool that taking along food on airplanes makes sense -- reminds me of reading about long train journeys that people used to take, bringing food for the trip.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Weigh in. Another pound down and I am formally in the 150's - a weight class I haven't been in since Freshmen year high school. This is exciting stuff.
Beverlyjoy: I do pilates and it is a terrific workout. Much of it can be done non- weight bearing. It was orginally designed for dancers who were injured.
Lexxiss: I am not two hours from Oroville.
Woodland: your remarks were really interesting regarding day off. I too am looking at my new food plan as something I enjoy. If I need to eat something, I plan for it.
BBE: I am learning the joys of "buying" services - lunch, housecleaning, lawn work. Free's me up for things I am actually good at.
Shepardess: I have a terminal problem of immediately assuming it is easier for everyone else. "If I had been born beautiful" "If I had been born wealthy." I judge everybody's outsides by my insides.
gardernerjoy: I wish I had sushi last nite. Maybe tom. yum!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beckies - yesterday I stayed in my exchange plan. I am grateful for that. It was kinda ‘sloppy’. I kept changing food items as the day went on. I didn’t take the time and energy to eat seated only and many other Beck goals. I will aim to renew the that part of my life program.

Today DH and I went to pick up the knee scooter. It’s pretty cool. I will take it to physical therapy on Monday where they will show me the best way to use it without impacting my other pieces and parts.

Saturday is more getting things ready for the surgery stuff. In the evening some friends are coming over to watch college football. We are getting subs and pizza. I’ll have a half a turkey sub. I’ll make a salad. It’s a plan.

Just a quick hello for today.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #134  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday (Posted on Friday night)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Leaving early for the airport, so typing this Friday night. I've already made my peanut butter, pecans, and banana sandwich for the flight. Ate the other half of my peppered chicken for lunch, along with some of DW left over roasted butternut squash with cranberries; CREDIT moi for good food.

Made my walk to Trader Joe's because I needed walnuts and almonds. Well, their FREE sample was beef bourguignon - in a one ounce cup. Pretty neat and yummy. Going upscale with the samples here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for taking last-minute lunches in stride.

Shepherdess - One hundred mile run! Good grief! Is it done over several days?

Beverlyjoy - Having the knee scooter in hand makes the surgery seem real. It's less than a week away. I'm getting psyched.

maryann - Congrats for making it to the 150's; this is exciting stuff indeed.

Readers -
Quote:
day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

How You Can Change

. . .
Focus on your progress. Can you walk a minute longer than you used to? Can you exercise more vigorously than before? Remind yourself during every session that you're getting stronger and more physically fit.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 253.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #135  

I got my run in yesterday, but it was hard to get motivated. My FIL took my dog pheasant hunting in Nebraska. Running is not as much fun without my dog.

Food was pretty good, but I need to watch my afternoon snacks. I wound up having more crackers than I had planned, but I cut back at dinner. It have to watch those slips before they turn into the new normal.

Gardenerjoy, great job making good choices at a last minute lunch change. It’s great that you found a good way to dispose of leftovers.

Maryann, congrats on another lb down and getting into a whole new weight class. Seeing those results is a huge motivation for me.

Beverlyjoy, kudos for another good day on the exchange plan. Ouch that the your finding the other Beck things difficult, but great job resolving to get back to them. Figuring out how to use your knee scooter before surgery is a great idea. Those physical therapists are great. They really helped DH after his knee surgery.

BillBE, have a great trip! Kudos for thinking ahead and packing a healthy lunch.

RE 100 mile run: those crazies do it all in one long haul. It doesn’t appeal to me. A marathon is plenty challenging.
Closed Thread