Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi All,

Yeah for long autumn seasons ! I'll be able to get outside easily and putter around the garden and yard. It is so much easier to get extra exercise when the weather is nice.

Since I'm alone this weekend I am going to try out some new low calorie foods. I guess sometimes the food routines need some examination to see if I could fit in something new. I plan to stay within my calorie units, and appreciate your support in helping me with accountability. Thanks coaches !

A Question: I was wondering what all of you do that you consider 'spontaneous exercise' each day? I usually either take a walk, or do some leg lifts and stretches in the house. I actually started over-shaking my laundry fabric softener bottle (it needs stirring sometimes) and if I do it 200 times I call that my extra exercise silly?

Woodland
Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #137  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I've already been to the Farmers Market this morning -- we're having greens tonight! It finally feels like fall here, although the farmer and my garden both say we need rain. Fortunately, my garden is small enough to water myself.

I'm plan to make pesto today. I cut my basil plants back by two thirds in August to make pesto and they have grown back to the point that it looks I never harvested. I usually wait until the first freeze for my second pesto-making venture, but I want to get that bed prepped for spring so I'm going to do it today.

WI: -0.5kg, Exercise: +80 855/1800 minutes for October, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

maryann: yay for the 150s!

Beverlyjoy: so glad that you're getting physical therapy help even before the surgery. I took a look at those knee scooters and I would need help figuring out how to use them!

BillBlueEyes: hope you have a great trip! The packed lunch sounds much better than any food an airline has provided since Ozark got purchased by TWA.

Shepherdess: good job getting in your run without your favorite running partner.

Woodland: I have reformed my habit of saving trips going up and downstairs in favor of a new habit of taking any old excuse to go up and down the stairs. I park in far corners of parking lots -- with the added advantage that I can almost always park in the same spot, so I can always find my car! I cook lots from scratch and count all the bending and reaching that I do in the kitchen as part of my spontaneous exercise.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Beck Friends:

I am here. Still struggling. Dealing with a load of family drama courtesy of my very messed up sister. Doing my best to practice good self care. What else can you do? I have always turned to excessive amounts of high fat or sugar loaded food as a way to comfort myself, numb out, reward myself for bearing through...what a hard habit to break. I have always felt like---if I have to put up with this b&$^s*#t at least I can feel good for a few minutes with my taco chips and shrimp dip and a piece of pie. I am trying very hard not to cope like this. Some days are good, some not so much.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I have a plan for the day: do weights, go for a walk, eat yogurt and berries for AM snack, salad and tuna on WW for lunch, apple and orange for afternoon snack, stir fry with veggies and shrimp for dinner and yogurt and pumpkin for evening snack. Sit in hot tub. Do yard work. Read. Watch another episode of The Tudors. Clean the house. Do the laundry. Just keep moving forward.

It is great to read your posts and so inspiring. Even though I am not posting much, I am visiting here everyday. Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #139  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

DH and I made our early morning drive and are now to the East of the Continental Divide. We got here in time to take my Mom to breakfast. I wanted to say hello, although I'm on the run right now..taking my Sis to Home Depot, about 15 miles from our little mountain town.
gardenerjoy, my food mover was waiting....it will take a little getting used to.
Marci (madrikh), I'll let you know how it works for me.
Shepherdess, I was raised in Leadville. Not much has changed there in 50 years!
Woodland, I find lots of opportunities for spontaneous exercise. Yesterday, I went to the pool a second time and jogged for 15 minutes. I always park in the outer lot at the store AND grab a basket and push. Yes, I dance around in the kitchen and stand on one leg, balancing, at while waiting in line. There is always a new opportunity for me.
to everyone else...I hope to get back later.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

Hello everyone!

Thank you for the warm welcome back! I'm determined to get back on my Beck journey and do it well.

I have some additional motivation - my sister is getting married and has asked me to be her maid of honour!! Im very excited and very much want to look the best I can on the big day.

I fell off track a bit after the relationship I was in ended and not long afterwards a very rude person approached me in the street when I was with 2friends and said "Hey fatso, get yourself a diet". I have never felt so mortified and humiliated in my life and as you can imagine, my confidence took a nosedive!

I'm now feeling much stronger and am not going to let someone like that affect my life like that!

Bill - I will try and help with the haggis come Burns day but I will let you into a wee secret.......... I don't like it!!!

xxx
Old 10-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

I am writing in the evening. I just seem beat. Did well today. OP but like Beverley says, a little sloppy switching food around. Still I cooked up three batches of pizza sauce and shredded enough cooked chicken for three of our weekly pizza nites. This helps keep me organized during busy weeks. I usually just put some fixins on whole wheat toast for me and the boys eat the pizza. I make a mean dough. I like what you said Shepardess. "Beware making a new normal." I realized today that where I am now is truly the roughest part for me because I have never gotten past this weight. I want to be very structured and remember to do less right now so that I can focus my energy on achieving what I have been unavailable to achieve in 30 years of trying. Gardenerjoy: I need to make pesto like you for another type of pizza. Ceejay: sounds like a good plan. I am pulling for you.Woodland: I count spont. exercise as anything not planned or informal - like when I teach 150 first graders music every other Thursday. All the circle dances count.
Speaking of doing less - I think I will go to bed even if it is 7:20. Rest is always helpful.Lexxiss: have a good trip across the divide.Miss Vitality: you message brought back lots of memories. I grew up at the beach where the "no fat chicks" signs were everywhere. There is a time in the sun for everyone. Your's is today. Let the past be past.

Last edited by maryann; 10-16-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #142  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did OK with food on the flight, CREDIT moi, even though I had the only FREE thing passed out - some thin cookies. Was fun eating a peanut butter sandwich on an airplane.

I did OK at the big family dinner, CREDIT moi, OK, not great. I had good salmon and was delighted that it came with asparagus. Was taken aback that asparagus were fried in a batter, LOL, had never seen that before. We were required to order our dessert before dinner for some strange reason, as I sat famished, ignoring the rolls and butter being devoured by the couple sitting on either side of me telling me about their diet, buttering their rolls thoroughly before snarfing. So I ordered a crème brulée. Ouch. Took some solace in that it was small, LOL, because they just are, but dense. I did enjoy it enough to feel little remorse. I do miss my evening snack of a fruit - there's no fridge in the room but I will try to buy an apple today.

CeeJay - Sending supportive thoughts for dealing with family tensions. It's difficult to face high tension without the previously used comfort foods. Keep the faith. One foot in front of the other. And you can bring yourself through this.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for Basil that just keeps growing. [LOL at Ozark and TWA - I remember those names.]

Shepherdess - Kudos for running despite having no dog. I'd guess that your dog would get more exercise with you than stalking pheasants also.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for having a local Continental Divide to casually cross. You've got such great mountains to play on.

Woodland - Interesting question about spontaneous exercise. I initially considered the stairs I walk at the office instead of the elevator to be "spontaneous" - but since I do it every day, perhaps it's become planned, LOL. I count when I take an extra trip to the basement instead of waiting until I'm going down there anyway. Shaking stuff certainly counts - you're using muscles that might otherwise never get used.

Lisa (MissVitality) - Maid of Honor is a great potential motivation - how long until the wedding? Monster Kudos for seeing that other people, certainly strangers, need not be allowed to thwark your feelings about. [OK, we'll work out something on the haggis - maybe some substitutions, LOL.]

maryann - Not that's a lot of cooking, no wonder you're beat. Kudos for taking the effort to avoid the pizza crust even when you make it for your boys and using whole wheat toast instead.

Readers -
Quote:
day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

How You Can Change

. . .
End your session with something positive. If you like a particular piece of equipment or exercise, plan to do it last. If you dislike a part of your exercise routine, do it in the middle. This way, you'll leave feeling better about your exercise session and you'll be more likely to follow through and do it next time.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 253.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #143  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

I was procrastinating on doing weights yesterday. I kept putting it off until the absolute last minute when I would have time to get a workout in and make it out to dinner with friends. I need to find a good way of getting motivated to do some weights. I need the upper body strength.

Food was good yesterday. We went out to Thai food with friends and I stuck with healthy options. I ordered an extra side of chile peppers and that helped me slow down! We ordered a dessert for the table and everyone took a few bites. There was still plenty leftover and I would have loved to take more bites, but didn’t.

Woodland, yay for nice weather so you can get your exercise in the garden! I love trying out new recipes when my DH is out of town. I don’t think I would eat healthy otherwise.

Gardenerjoy, wow for Farmer’s Markets still around mid-Oct. Yay for long growning seasons! We’re dry up here too (and if I’d been taking care, my garden could still be growing).

CeeJay, hugs while you deal with all that family drama. Kudos for taking steps at breaking old comfort food habits. Sounds like this was a big improvement and you’ll only get better at it if you keep trying. Great job getting back into a Beck swing!

Lexxiss, waving back and wishing you a great trip!

MissVitality, yay for your sister’s wedding as additional motivation! Ouch for that horribly rude person! What a terrible and destructive thing to do. Great job feeling strong and finding the confidence to realize that it is the other person’s problem, not yours.

Maryann, great job staying OP during a long hard day. Hope you’ll get at least a bit of rest this weekend.

BillBE, yay for peanut butter sandwiches on a plane. Ouch for dessert required to be ordered while you’re hungry. There should be a rule against that!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #144  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Hi All,

Eating went so well yesterday, I'm so pleased !! I took myself to the local market and went up and down each isle looking for food I would l like to try but don't usually get.

I found two new things:

1) White Rice in two little microwavable cups. It is pre-measured so I can count the calories easily. DH likes brown jasmine rice, but I prefer white (I've actually not had much rice since I've been losing weight, prefer whole wheat penne pasta instead). I'm excited to try this later. You microwave it for 1 minute in the little cup. I'll add some peas and corn to it and have a nice meal.

2) Fudge popsicles sweetened with Splenda. Two for 70 calories ! They taste great.

I also got a small cheese pizza. This is a trigger food for me. I wanted to test myself. Could I eat an appropriate amount and save the rest? What sabotaging thoughts would try to stop me from this plan?

It was actually fascinating. I made myself plan out how many calories I'd have, then when I sliced it I made myself take 10 minutes to each each of the three small slices. I ran through my list of all the Beck information: my advantages, and my potential sabotaging thoughts. It was such a walk down memory lane recalling how many of my excuses I would have used in the past to overeat. But this time was different ! And it did matter - my scale was good to me this morning and I felt to proud !!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your answers on the spontaneous exercise. My usual daily one is when I notice I'm standing around (in the kitchen, waiting for the dogs outside), I put my arms over my head, balance on one leg, and do front, side and back leg lifts slowly on each leg. It works balance and a little strength I think, plus it feels good.

I think I'll take the dogs on a walk today. The weather will be getting cooler later in the week, so it is now or never for a nice fall stroll.

Have a great day, coaches !
Woodland
Old 10-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #145  
Green Tomatoes

I've been working on ideas for my NaNoWriMo novel for months now, although I'm still woefully short of actual plot material. I started a support thread here yesterday because I found that so helpful last year. Part of the NaNoWriMo culture is eating--people actually plan ahead things like rewarding every thousand words with candy. And real-world meetings almost always happens in places that serve food with encouragement to support the host location by buying something. Having a 3FC support thread is a good reminder that it really is possible to write a novel AND continue healthy eating habits at the same time.

WI: -0.45kg, Exercise: +30 885/1800 minutes for October, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

CeeJay: glad to see you here! Sounds like a great plan -- did it help? Even if you didn't follow it to the letter, did it help to have a plan? It does get a little easier, over time, to cope without using food, although I must admit that I still have my moments. Exercise or some invigorating project or a really good book seem to work the best for me.

Lexxiss: I'm still using my FoodMover. What it took for me was to add it to a morning routine list (open all the windows) and an evening routine list (close all appropriate windows that I didn't manage to close earlier in the day). Are you going to be able to modify things appropriately for South Beach? One of the things I liked about Richard Simmons was it moved me away from low carb a bit without sending me overboard.

MissVitality: Being a maid of honor is great motivation! The comment you got was unspeakably rude and mean-spirited. Can you imagine the low self esteem of someone who would say something like that to a stranger? Not a person you need to impress in anyway.
My nephew is doing a study abroad semester in Dundee. Are you anywhere near there? He seems to be having a great time, just having a little trouble with the differences in the educational system. He says the expectations are more clearly delineated in US colleges, but the workload is a bit lighter in Scotland -- or at least he hopes it is and he's not completely misreading things!

maryann: Our winter pizzas are topped with pesto from my freezer and artichoke hearts from the grocery's freezer. Yum!

BillBlueEyes: so, how is that couple's diet going? I'd like to know if a diet could include buttered rolls and still be successful!

Shepherdess: let me know if you find the secret motivation for strength training! Right now, I'm on a kick of using the treadmill while watching episodes of Torchwood from Netflix on my iPad. Very motivating for my aerobic workout, but I'm having a hard time getting myself to do anything that resembles stretching or strength training.

Woodland: yay for being pleased with eating so well and for new treats to try and old treats to relearn how to be sane around! You're doing terrific. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck folks -

My food has been good - so grateful.

Thanks for your kindness, as always.

I have everything in place surgery - knee scooter, electric scooter, resting area ready, DH has time off, bills paid, arrangements for anything & everything, healthy food available etc. So this morning I am practicing getting in and out of bed on one foot - they say to practice before you need to really do it. I was practicing getting out of a chair - pushed my self up on with my arms and foot when I felt something in my inner foot/ankle went stretch and twang. My good foot started to ache and swell. I sat there is disbelief. I was in shock, stunned that I had done something that may be an injury. I told DH - he sighed and said it will be OK. He is the always optamist.

So, it's elevated, iced, and in an ankle compression doodickie pull on. It's aching.

That was it. I started to cry. I just can't believe what has happened. I feel like there is a curse on me. I am embarrassed to even say this is happening - how can there be one more thing to go wrong.

Tomorrow morning is my PT to learn how to use the knee walker. I'll see how it goes. At this point, I don't think I can do it. Maybe I'll still be able to do the surgery - I would just being sitting around alot anyway.... I am feeling sad, mad and exasperated. Hope for a miracle.

I'll call the surgeon tomorrw and see what he says.

For the first time that I can think of....I don't even want to eat.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-17-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I am back for some personals. I am done with my sulking for the moment!

Woodland - my spontaneous exercises is walking up and down the stairs a couple times extra when I need to do it any way. Lately, I’ve been counting my twirls. Good to find new things that fit in your food plan. I think it’s wonderful to eat your pizza so slowly as to really enjoy it.

Sheppard’s - it’s good to have a shared dessert at a restaurant. Then your one bite is a special treat and not overeating. I have a friend that wanted to include more exercise but wasn’t motivated, really. So, she set up and ‘incentive’ program of a star on the calendar when she did do the exercise. At a certain point when she gathered enough stars she rewarded her self with something special. (not food) Just a thought.

Billbe - I’ve heard the saying - “Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.’ But, not order dessert first!! I am glad you enjoyed every bite of your special treat. And it is a treat - you don’t have those extra treats that often.

Maryann - well done with the planning and cooking ahead. That is so, so helpful. You said, There is a time in the sun for everyone. Your's is today. Let the past be past. I like that.

Miss Vitality - I am appalled that someone would say something so rude and unkind to you. Shame on them!!! Some people are thoughtless and uncaring of others. Your up and coming wedding is a great incentive. Carry on.

Lexxiss - you trip sounds so nice. I love the food mover. I don’t always use the actual food mover, but - when I am doing exchanges I set it up the same in my journal. I am using exchanges now.

Ceejay - rant away. So sorry you have to put up with family drama. Be kind to yourself. Lately, I’ve been eating my emotions. I find it does help to have a plan - even if you switch it around. It’s a good start to the day. You CAN do this.

Gardnerjoy - I think it sounds exciting to write a novel. I have written many children’s stories - under 50 pages for sure. Good idea to start a support thread for an event with so many temptations. Credit for reading your arc and rc so consistently. I love the farmer’s market too.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #148  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Just checking in, trying to work on getting the events in my life to a manageable state. It's been very hectic since I got over the mountain but I do think about making good choices and I have a plan for today.

Beverlyjoy, sending kind thoughts your way. I hope today is better, but you've been making really good food choices during this hard time which is worthy of great credit.

Take care everyone!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Yesterday was one of those days that where I wanted to just lie on the couch with a bag of chips. I didn’t, so credit for that. That voice in my head kept telling me to go find some chips, cookies, crackers, anything at all, but I did ignore it. I wish I didn’t have that voice, but I’m glad I can ignore it.

I went for my long run yesterday. There was a lot going on and I could have easily talked myself out of it, but I headed out. It was a really nice evening for it, so I’m glad I went.

Woodland, great job with the pizza. It is always a major victory when we can face those usual trigger foods and eat them carefully. Yay for finding new things to try that are diet friendly.

Gardenerjoy, kudos for thinking ahead for strategies to get through NaNoWriMo without food. You can always use Beck’s idea of non-food rewards. Maybe something small for every 1000 words, like a new song from iTunes or something.

Beverlyjoy, ouch for swelling in your foot, but kudos for sticking to your food plan through the frustration. Hugs while you are dealing with all the added stress and worry about keeping off your foot. It might be a good idea to ask the PT about your foot. They have lots of expertise in this area.

Lexxiss, waving back. Kudos for checking in when things are hectic in your life. Glad to hear they are beginning to get manageable.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #150  
Green Tomatoes

A quick post because we're off to volunteer in the Archive at the Garden.

WI: -0.25kg, Exercise: +60 945/1800 minutes for October, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: furiously sending healing energies your way!
Closed Thread