Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #241  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday Night

Hi Coaches
Another good day which makes me happy - no cravings and no real opportunities to stray (yet!). A bit stressful work-wise - just keeping up - but I am managing. Need to get organised for early start and taking food - it really shouldn't be this difficult as people battle far bigger problems!

BillBE - such a push over for a knock-out selling lemonade. And I am nor sure that exercise is meant to be enjoyed quite as much as all you dancing people seem to - you are supposed to suffer for your health I am sure. Hope you get to the Antipodes and spend lots of time here - one day I might even get to see it all.
Alma4343 - sorry you are so tired. It is always worth while to get these things checked out. But a change in diet and habits can bring it on. LOL having a movie with your popcorn - a good habit to break
BeverlyJoy - Yep - it is definitely about "getting better at the Beck skills of having a plan and following it and not allowing hunger to be an emergency. And, maybe especially, getting right back on plan after slips and sometimes even compensating like I did yesterday for things going off plan". And doing that consistently enough and in a practised way for long enough that you bring about change and make it habitual - huge kudos.
AmberPr - computer maintenance can be a real time waster - I am still trying to sort mine out and get it back EXACTLY as it was (minus the viruses and hard disk errors of course). Good luck with it
new2me2 - you are doing so well with the dejunking - I had a go at some of the kitchen cupboards over the weekend. And organised kitchen makes it all so much easier
Shepherdess - Yay for "No big eating mishaps" and for being back on the Beck bandwagon. It is a relief to get back on plan isn't it
Maryblu - You make summer sound so attractive. Hope you didn't blow it last night. You certainly have wonderful insight - how are you going to translate it into action?
newbebop - Canning? I am impressed. Let us know how it goes
Starling - Welcome - LOL at "hippy-dippy homeschoolers" - love it. I guess it is a bit of a cliché for home schoolers/ My neighbours homeschool - 10 children!! So I am familiar with the commitment. Sorry can't give any advice about hypoglycaemia.
Nuxmaga - Glad you posted. Sounds like you are making sensible plans re food. Hope you go well at the market. Nice to get back on track - credit you!

Progress -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - No
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise
behaviours - Yes
- Limit junk food to once per day - No junk food
- Made food plan - Yes
- Logged food soon after eating - Yes
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Ate seated every time - yes
- Ate mindfully & slowly & put down fork occasionally - Yes
- Weighed myself - Yes - down 0.7 pounds!
- Exercise - No

Working on -
Still on lunches and being organised for dinners

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl
Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #242  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Carol (Starling)

Carol (Starling)

And, in case you didn't get one of these two years ago when you joined,

Neat that learned about Dr. Judith Beck when you "stumbled on this forum" - Yep, it's a supportive group all right.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #243  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner. Inside. With gazpacho. <sigh> . . . this fall-like weather seems inconsistent with the abundance of cucumbers and tomatoes that's making gazpacho possible. CREDIT moi for eating good food.

Snuck in a walk (CREDIT moi) between the rain and threats of rain. Made a point to stop in a store that sells Arctic Zero ice cream that only contains 36 calories per half-cup serving because it's made of whey protein. Yep, it's real, was in their freezer. Now I know where it is next time the ice cream cravings need servicing.

maryblu - Weeding nine flower gardens plus your veggie garden is one whole lot of weeding. Kudos for that much exercise. Perhaps the solution to your evening eating is to purchase a miner's headlamp so that you can keep going after dark until you just drop, LOL. Also LOL at the thought of the 6 year old explaining the size of the dime.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for using your time well to organize your business and produce your mosaics. Good idea to avoid that festival food - obviously the theme of the day on this thread.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - You remind me of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, "New Low, New Low, it's off to work we go."

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for another good day. Hope the work stress stays under control. LOL at the notion that exercise means to "suffer for your health" - had forgotten that I used to believe that. Neat to be reminded that I know the word 'Antipods' - can't wait to get there.

Shepherdess - You did well to make it to the State Fair and not indulge in all the tempting smells. LOL at the thought of "hang out with the rowdies."

Donna (new2me2) - Kudos for breaking down your de-cluttering goals into small steps. I gotta remember that when facing my overwhelming stacks.

Amber (AmberPr) - Happy Geek day there - getting your computer files organized as well as rewiring your home TV network. Big Yay for two pounds of roasted green beans. And Kudos for not finishing a glass of wine - that's real sane thinking put to action.

newbebop - Do keep us informed on your canning progress. I've always wanted to try that, but never taken the steps.

Carol (Starling) - Congrats for completing nine years of home schooling. Must have been pretty successful since your DS was accepted into a private school. Sending supportive thoughts for both of you in making this rather major transition.

Yep, the hunger experiment isn't a good fit for hypoglycemia - I don't have any experience with that to offer any help. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 35
Get Ready to Weigh In

Consider carrying your weight-loss graph around with you to look at every so often to remind yourself of your progress. One dieter I worked with made a miniature version of her weight-loss graph on the back of a business card that she saw every time she opened her wallet. Looking at the graph made her think these positive thoughts to herself: Look what I've done! I love how the line on this graph keeps going down! I'm so proud of myself! It's totally worth everything I'm doing.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 236.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-24-2010 at 05:07 AM. Reason: here -> there
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #244  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Yesterdays' credits:
planned healthy for a potluck and stuck to it
rode my bike home from the potluck even though I didn't feel like it
no off plan snacking

I did change dinner plans; a friend showed up with two boxes of recently foraged wild mushrooms. It was a very special event and was worthy of celebration. We sauteed mushrooms, shared one King Salmon steak and had fresh tomatoes. *credit* for not overeating, and *credit* for thoroughly enjoying a healthy unplanned meal.

Carol (Starling) I did the hunger experiment when starting Beck, but I had been on my chosen food plan for over a year. Previously, I had drastic swings in my blood sugar level. I would shake uncontrollably and be sick if I didn't eat. My food plan eliminated all white sugar/white flour and my BS is very stable now. I have had several days where something happened and I didn't eat and did just fine. I don't think that really helps you regarding the hunger experiment, but might give a little insight into possibilities for stabilizing your hypoglycemia.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #245  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

OMG, Seadwaters:

"You certainly have wonderful insight - how are you going to translate it into action?"

You sound like my psychologist! And you certainly asked the right question. You are a GREAT Beck coach!

I know *what to do, just wondering why I am *not doing it. I think BillBE is onto it..a miner's headlamp so I can just keep going after dark.

Actually, took a nice swim ~dark last night, then talked to my sis and DBF on the phone for a lonnggg time..kept me pretty much in check.

Shaping up to be another great summer day here..too bad I have to work for a living. *sigh.

Have a great day, Beckies.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #246  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks - well I finally have some answers to the latest 'saga' of my health stuff. I now know why skin started to ulcerate, etc. I had a toxic reaction to the rx ointment the dermatologist gave me. Any ointments closely related made my skin start to disinegrate. It got worse and worse became an explosion of injured skin. Now I am making progress in healing the ulcers and tyring to get the area healed. The doctor did a biopsy and culture. He says it's a very rare occurance. (I'd rather NOT be rare.)

But...I am feeling some better, it's starting to heal with 2 new meds., and I don't feel so frantic. It appears I won't have my ankle/food surgery until late September. The skin must be totally healed.

I've made plans for today - I am willing to try today. I've made my plans to follow and have my journal ready.

Thanks for thinking of me, missing me and wishing me well.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-23-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #247  
Green Tomatoes

My Richard Simmons Food Mover showed up. It's kind of like a game with little windows that you open in the morning, then close as you eat that portion. And it's purple! My favorite color. Yesterday was on plan except that I skipped a fruit serving.

I had an exciting development in the Wii Walk It Out game yesterday -- I collected all the songs! I've barely built any of the island because I decided I wanted the biggest collection of songs while doing it, so I went after them first and I completed my collection last night!

Another new low. After telling seadwaters it was all Beck skills, I'm pretty sure today that it's physiological because the Food Mover had me eating more food yesterday. I know that set points have been discounted by science, but my body seems a whole lot more willing to lose at some weights and stick at others.

WI: -0.25kg (new low), Exercise: +60 1325/1800 minutes for August, Food: 95%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Nuxmaga: great to see you! Excellent idea to buckle down the Beck habits on the day DH leaves town. I would struggle with that, too.

Starling: the hunger experiment mostly teaches that hunger is not an emergency. Which, in the case of hypoglycemia might actually not be true. I suggest that you focus instead on other skills like the written eating plan and habits like always making sure that you have an on-plan snack with you when you're out of the house. Those things really work for me and are more appropriate for your condition.

AmberPR: I really think what works best for me is posting here! Someone wrote here a few months ago that the group becomes a kind of Greek chorus in your head that encourages making better decisions throughout the day.

Hello to Shepherdess, maryblu, new2me2, seadwaters, BillBlueEyes, Lexxiss, and Beverlyjoy. I wanted to do more personals today, but the nephew is on his way for yardwork. Hope you all have a great day!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #248  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation new day: Day 1/14

Hi Coaches

I wanted to post before I ate my breakfast so I'm going to make this short

I shopped last night according to a list for my foodplan which I am starting today (creditx2)

I already had a sabotaging thought

As I was cutting up my 1/2 a LARGE grapefruit, my brain said "There's no way you can keep this up" (I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED YET!!!) and I told my brain "I only have to do this for today. I don't have to do this forever."
GeezLouise! Pre-breakfast, day 1. Wow.

I have a challenge today as well, as my friend and I are heading out to my brother's to discuss lighting options for our sculptural pieces at the festival on Sept 4th (my brother is an electronics genius) and my brother has been feeding me everytime I go out there. Last time: fried chicken and homemade potato chips and he sent me home with clam spaghetti in cream sauce (double cream he emphasized). But he does get the foodplan I am following as it is his go-to plan when he feels he needs to get his weight in line. It's all I really have to say, I just have to be willing to say it! I need to remember to flex my resistance muscle...which, hopefully, is not the same as my right rotator cuff which pains me these days.

That's it. Time for food.

My foodplan is offiically 2 weeks long. My goal is to follow it for the 14 days, use Beck to help me do that, report daily to my coaches and then re-assess.

Happy Monday Becksters...

UPDATE: arrived home after my visit with my brother. I DID NOT GO OFFPLAN (credit) in spite of being offered a "real juice drink" that looked enticing but was not on my plan for today. (credit) I am now patiently cooking my lunch which will have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch (a turkey breast). I'm hungry and it's later than I would like to have my lunch but HUNGER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY so I can wait. I made myself a coffee and put creamer in it, my only change to my foodplan ie. the creamer. I want the coffee so I NEED the creamer for now. credit for planning my changes to my foodplan so I don't have to feel bad about them thereby opening the door to overeat to feel better.
It's all good.

UPDATE#2: Just had my lunch. Well worth the wait. Ate to fullness but feel very satisfied. Have resurrected my "no seconds" rule. So, in spite of the foodplan telling me I can have "unlimited x" I am altering that to "you can pile your plate sky high if you want with x, but you cannot go get seconds. NO CHOICE". I have found in the past that a plate can only hold so much; usually it's much less than *two* platefuls.

Also an observation: DH and I went grocery shopping at 10:30pm. I was already under the covers and could have stayed there to sleep the night away when DH said he wanted to go. Our rental car goes back Monday morning so DH wanted to get it done with the car. Now, I love car rides and I superlove grocery stores, but I was sleepy. Still. DH NEVER asks to go grocery shopping. I am always dragging him along and he rarely buys what he likes or needs. So at the 24hr store, at 11pm, I was *almost* completely uninterested in food but I had my shopping list and I easily stuck to it in spite of the abundant 2-for-1 deals that are a rare occurrence around here re:good deals. I really just didn't care (!) about food and DH was happily buying this and that for himself and today feels good he's stocked up on his favorite canned goods. This may be our shopping routine for the near future. It may become a behavioural rule even, nevertheless it was a remarkable experience for me. We left the store without even one snacky thing causing DH to ask if it'd be okay with me if we were to stop at the drugstore so he could get some snacky things there. So we stopped. I ended up with a snacky thing, the "last hurrah" before you start a new diet you know? But really it didn't de-rail me. credit.

Anyway, sorry to write a book here today. I'm mostly just grounding myself with words here and taking credit for following through on my plans. I even de-cluttered a bit. credit
So far, so good.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-23-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #249  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning coaches!

Weight is still holding, yay! I see the dentist today at 1.

The DVDs are organized and the end table de-junked. Today's goal is the floor next to the couch where a nice pile of papers has collected, lol. I kept it very light today because if the dentist pulls my tooth, I may not feel like doing anything except laying around with an ice pack. If he doesn't pull it, then I may do another area as well.

Exercise yesterday was weights with my fav DVD, then later in the evening 30 minutes of Walk It Out. Exercise today will depend on my tooth I think.

Shepherdess Great job on getting back on plan!

maryblu Hum, what you said about fatigue...I did have Lyme disease at some point (although it was never treated), but haven't really been bothered by it in a while, and sometimes I wonder if that isn't the reason I get so tired from time to time.

newbebop GOSH I know that feeling of feeling busy but getting nowhere, lol.

Starling WELCOME!!!! Nice to "meet" you! I don't have hypoglycemia although at one point it seemed like I might...got very light headed and shakey and downright cranky if I didn't eat regularly, but testing didn't confirm that. It eventually went away. Wish I could give you some insight about that and the hunger experiment.

Nuxmaga Good to see you back, and great job for realizing you needed to check in when DH is gone!

seadwaters(Cheryl) Yay for a good day!!!

BillBlueEyes Great ice cream find!!! Whole Foods sells a coconut milk ice cream, which is very WW point friendly, and they actually have one of my favorite flavor combinations of all time...chocolate with peanut butter...fortunately for me ice cream is not one of my trigger foods.

Lexxiss Wow, very impressive unplanned healthy dinner!!!! Great job!

Beverlyjoy So happy you finally got those answers and are healing!

gardenerjoy CONGRULATIONS ON YOUR NEW LOW!!!! Your WIO post made me smile! Congratulations on getting all the songs...it took me a long time! I'm on my 5th island and my game strategy this time was to open all the routes, songs and time capsules first, although I still don't have all of any of them except the routes, lol.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #250  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I was having a great Beck day yesterday, using that resistance muscle and sticking to my plan. . .until evening. It was too hot to go to bed and for some reason, I thought nibbling was the appropriate response.

I am taking credit for beginning to get my house in order. It’s so much easier to stick to my plan when the house isn’t in chaos. I’ve made progress cleaning off my dining room table so I won’t have to sit there and look at stacks of books and mail while I eat. I’m also taking credit for getting in a weight workout yesterday. I haven’t done weights in a while and am a bit sore this AM, but it’s a good sore. Lets me know I did something.

Maryblu, that late night weakness is a killer. My resolve always plummets as soon as the sun begins to set—that’s going to be a problem now that the nights are getting longer. Kudos for getting all that exercise and liberating your vegetables from the weeds. Gardening is a lot of time and hard work. I’m so impressed with those that actually get it done.

Newbebop, if you got some veggies harvested and canned, I’d say you got a lot accomplished! Best of luck at the fair. When we were at the fair, a friend knew one of the food vendor inspectors who had said not to eat fair food. Maybe that will help.

Welcome Starling! I love the “go-with-the-flow, arty-creative, hippy-dippy homeschoolers,” but it does sound like a lot of work. Kudos for taking care of your health now. I don’t have hypoglycemia, but I do have a few thoughts. Maybe just fast as long as it is medically appropriate. You can learn to tolerate low levels of hunger, but not so much that it adversely affects your health. As far as the food plan goes, for all of us it’s a matter of trial and error. We all have to find what works for us, and for you, hypoglycemia is just another part of the equation.

Nuxmaga, good to see you back here! Kudos for recognizing your dh’s trip as a potential eating problem and checking in here. Great job finding a good solution to the craft-fair-food problem.

Seadwaters, I love those days when staying OP is effortless. For me, they are few and far between. Hope your work stress eases soon, but great job doing all the necessary planning for it. It is a lot to think about.

BillBE, yay for summer’s continued bounty, even with early fall weather. I was worried last week that summer was over for us. We had some cool weather, but it got hot again. I hate the heat, but will take it because it doesn’t last long.

Lexxiss, kudos for sticking to your plan at the potluck and for getting your biking in even though you didn’t feel like it. Yay for the foraged mushrooms and for making it into a healthy celebration.

Beverlyjoy, glad you are figuring out your medical problems and your skin is starting to heal. Ouch that it has delayed your surgery. Your attitude is so inspiring! It’s great that with all of this going on, you are still making a great Beck effort.

Gardenerjoy, it’s great that you’ve found a fun way to track food and get some exercise. It seems like the games are a great way to keep the diet fun and interesting.

Onebyone, great job giving that sabotaging thought a kick out the door. Taking it one day at a time is a great strategy. Best of luck with your brother. It’s great that he understands what you need to do.

New2me2, yay for your weight still holding. Hope all goes well at the dentist today, but kudos for taking that into consideration.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #251  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Food Chart by Formula Plan

Just a quick stop- I created the attached pdf yesterday to use in planning my week. I thought I'd share! It has the calorie and item allotments for 1600, 1800 & 2000. I can see it already needs some tweeks, so feel free to comment if you have ideas on how it might work better.

-Amber
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Becks Plan.pdf (185.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by AmberPr; 08-23-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #252  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

hi everyone. just checking in.

i'm set to be on plan today and to go back to the gym.

school started today so that was emotionally charging. was not expecting that.

we had a great weekend. ate on plan MOSTLY. I ate one bad thing. Moved on. Then this morning, i was up 2 lbs! what? well, i guess it's water b/c nothing I ate was so off my plan or in abundance of what I'm allowed. so oh well, i'm sure it will be back off tomorrow. just so strange to see it.

stress is high so it's imperative that i stick to smart eating and work outs. it's like life is a basket of laundry. you can wash it, fold it and put it away, but somehow it's full again 2 days later.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Default Thanks for all the welcomes!

I've spent the morning reading through the forum and catching up on food-planning. I'm still trying to determine when is the best time to plan for my meals. This seems to require that I plan the rest of my life, which is necessary, but -- WHOA -- difficult! I'm still learning, and I appreciate all the insight into the practical details of planning and re-organizing.

maryblu & AmberPr: Thanks for the offer of a diet buddy. Right now I'm still testing the waters of the forum (and planning planning planning) but I may need more help in the future. As for English majors, maryblu, well: sometimes I feel crazy to be so involved in reading, but in the end I think it makes the world a better place. Hope I live up to your experiences with other Lit folks!

seadwaters: Thanks for the affirmation that this is a great place to have found, and that my goals are appropriate if difficult. It actually helps me when I hear that others struggle with what some people seem to accomplish so easily -- like cleaning and organizing and eating mindfully. I already feel like I'm not facing these changes alone!

alma4343: That's great advice about *when* to plan the next day. Sometimes I'm exhausted at night, and so planning at that point is just painful. I'm trying different approaches. I think that planning while eating lunch is perhaps just a revision of the Beck "eating mindfully." I imagine it might actually make you more conscious of how you're eating? OR am I rationalizing?

Starling: You rock for all that homeschooling! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the quotes you attach to your messages, for the very colorful welcome, and for the "credit moi" phrasing. I may just steal that!

I came to the Beck books through my partner, who loves to distract herself with thrift-store browsing, and came home with the Pink workbook. I browsed through that, and was excited by seeing so much detail for changing the way you eat/live/think. As I mentioned, I was seeing an occupational therapist once a week on a Lifestyle Redesign Program, which began my process of balancing my life. But once our sessions ended, I was having trouble motivating myself. I had a lot of ideas in my head -- I knew what I needed to do -- but I just needed more help, more tools. So the Beck workbook seemed sent by the Universe. THEN, I found the accompanying textbook on sale at B&N for $5. Again, the Universe seemed to be telling me something. And yet again, when my first google search "Beck Diet Buddies" produced this link among the first results. So here I am!

And I feel blessed!

Thanks again, to all. More soon.

MaryContrary
Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #254  

S/C/G: 140/134.5/120

Hi all!

Can I just say that YOU ALL ROCK!! Thank you so much for all your kind words. When I came home that night, DH was very helpful and although he said that my post made me sound crazy, he thought that the 30 minutes of frantic eating wouldn't harm me much. Well...I don't know what happened, but I LOST weight! Maybe my metabolism needed a kickstart, or maybe it was just that saying "out loud" what I did was what I needed to get me back on track. I'm at my lowest weight in over 6 years!

I've got to run, but I will post all the personals tomorrow morning - I promise!

to everyone!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #255  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Hi everyone! I can't believe how active you are on here! I turn my back for the weekend and there is just sooo much to catch up on!
Friday was my Hunger day. I did fine. Ate breakfast around 9ish. Didn't eat dinner until 7ish. Surprisingly, I felt fine all day. I even did well at the grocery store. At the time, I felt like I ate the whole world for dinner, but reflecting back, I only had part of my pasta. And half a chocolate cake. And the rest of my weekend was an "OMG I'm restricting my diet on Monday so I have to eat the whole world" kind of deal. Oops.
Yesterday I planned my meals through Thursday. I guess half a week at a time is good for me (credit). Also went grocery shopping and prepared what needed preparing (credit). Today I've been taking the stairs (credit), which I haven't done in months. I've also been on plan all day and tracking my food journal as I go (credit). Oh and I read my ARC (credit). I also got a note card app for my phone and am in the process of moving all of my cards onto that (already have my ARC there, and it's on my phone's task bar all day, so it always reminds me!).
Does everyone weigh daily? I did before...but I don't think it's right for me. Hmmm. Maybe I'll try it again. I like it so much better just going to my Weight Watchers meeting, and that's it. We'll see.
I hope everyone is having a nice day!
Closed Thread