Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #361  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Yesterday was mixed.

Ate over my calories but within my carbs. I had a "hungry" day, when an hour after I eat I'm feeling hungry again. My body is like that... I go four or five days with no problem, then have a day or two when I just need more. THat's why I give myself a range of calories.

Did not plan dinner, and had a last minute change of plans... went to a movie that started 20 minutes from when we decided to go. Instead of eating a real meal (no time), or waiting until after the movie (no way!), or stuffing myself with movie "food" (those hot dogs are scary!), I grabbed turkey, cheese, a peach, and a spoonful of peanut butter.

Ate movie popcorn, which I planned for. But did eat an evening snack before bed that popped me over my limit.

Still finding myself having problems picking off plates. Even when it's three or four blackberries, and it's "healthy"... I just shudder to throw them out. THey're so expensive, and they're not around for very long in the summer. /sigh

I did actually exercise after wearing my workout clothes all day! It's been the first time back on the elliptical in about a month (I've been swimming and gardening instead), due to a knee problem. But I took it slowly and was able to go for a full half hour.

Last edited by synger; 07-29-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #362  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Quick post today. We have another family meeting this afternoon to get prepped for.

Mikkijoe: Don't quit! 3 pounds in a month is great! I've had many months in the past year where I lost 3 pounds. One thing that is different now is Beck. As I practice my Beck skills, I really am getting better at this -- to the point that I've been losing faster than I want in recent weeks. So, just because this month was a 3 pound loss, does not mean that all the months will be that -- some will be faster, some might even be slower (I had a 0 pound month, which prompted me to change things to start losing again).

BillBlueEyes: DH liked the offer to help with the plumbing. When you guys finish at our house, you can work on the plumbing at yours!

Beverlyjoy: hope you have a great time with your grandson. I got a hug this week from one of the campers that I've been reading to -- it's our last week of camp -- and I thought that, really, a day that you get a hug from a child is a good day, no matter what else happens. So, gather up lots of hugs!

Hello to everyone else!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #363  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Ugg, I'd just like to forget this week, lol! Scale budged back up again. I've eaten all my WW weekly points and have "dipped" into the exercise points too. It's been a hungry week.

I've been slacking on the planning thing even though I eat basically the same thing every day...somehow this week I've gotten way over plan. So, some studying will be in order this evening.

Another thing I've been a little lax about is eating before I'm very hungry! This is one of only two rules I have for myself, lol. So, another hunger practice is in order!

WW weigh in is tomorrow and I am bracing myself for a slight upward reading. It won't be much because my scale doesn't read much (still under a pound overall gain), but it may be more than last week.

I also started to feel like I'm getting sick again. Yesterday had slight pain in the ear when swallowing. If it's not one thing it's another.

Exercise was practically nothing, lol. I've still felt a bit off, and last night the "lazy" talk finally took over. I did do a little lower body weight work, but really not a lot. That was it. {{sigh, lol}} Oh well, today is a new day, and I will put my exercise clothes on and WILL do something today!

Mikkijoe Don't give up!! Keep at it! My start this time was pretty slow as well, and the weight is coming off just a little at a time, but in some ways I'm happy about that because I'm learning how to deal with it better somehow.

CeeJay Yay for doing OK in the city!

Houston2Command Indeed, credit for trying to find positive thoughts!

MissVitality I visited your great country for 1 day (LOL!) whilst on a cruise, and absolutely fell in love with it. We took a ride on Loch Kathryn and then took a bus through the Highlands to eat at a very nice restaurant. Beautiful country and had the good fortune to talk with some of your countrywomen whilst on the boat ride...beautiful people as well. If I could live anywhere else, I'd pick Scotland!

MorganleFay Good job resisting the ice cream! I almost ALWAYS gain a little after eating pasta for some reason. It usually goes away in a couple of days, but it seems to happen every time.

AmberPr Great job on leaving without the ice cream!!

Alma4343 Hoping you see that scale move again soon. Sometimes when I have a week with no loss, I see a nice drop in a week or two.

BillBlueEyes Good job at the BBQ...you've been doing very well at these events!! You and I probably burned about the same amount of calories then, lol, I didn't do much yesterday. I have never canned anything...would probably give myself tomaine poisoning or something, lol...but there are sure LOTS of plums out there. If I could take the skins off I would probably be able to eat more of them. The skins are what cause the slow down of digestion and hence cause the problems. {{sigh, lol}}

Beverlyjoy Yay for a much better day!!! I sure could use the energy of your grandson, lol!

synger Oh gosh, I've been having a HUNGRY week. I knew exactly what you were talking about, and I have those days too, but hardly ever have a whole WEEK of them, lol. Smart idea to give yourself a range...I'll have to factor that into my plan! Good job working out!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #364  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Amber---You're right, and I know you're right! I have done this so many times, and I have plugged my numbers in, even at my low activity level, and gotten the results back that I need 2200 cals a day to Operate my body....with NO activity. But my stupid brain--that knows better--says I have to deprive myself. When I see other peoples plans and see thier caloric intake is too low to get enough of the proper nutrients I make sure to suggest that they up the cals in order to lose more consistantly. Yet I dont listen to myself.
At my weight I should be taking in more than 1400 cals....I have done such metobolic damage to myself over the many years my body will struggle greatly when faced with that amount of cals....and I know that----deep inside my brain I know that----from experience, from medical advice--I know that, but yet I fail to do that.
If I need 2200 cals a day to operate ME, multiply that by 7 days, take off 7000 cals to lose 2 pounds, and then divide by 7 that comes out to 1200 cals, but does not include any type of calorie burning activity which I need in order to get my metabolism back on track. And adding 200 cals a day to get up to 1400 cals is still not enough, according to my weight loss councelor, and the doctor...hmmm maybe I should listen to the professionals?

So, here is my plan B--and I appreciate the Beck plan for including a plan B into the program!

At my weight, and age, and the damage I have done to my system, I have been told I need to keep my caloric level mixed up. I have done this once before, and it works, it just needs ALOT of planning and tracking. SO I need to commit to doing that again. I will range between 1500-2000, with an exact target number planned each day, allowing myself a higher day on the weekend, surrounded by lower days on each side....This averages 1700 cals for the week. I will do this for 2 full weeks before I evaluate if I need to make any adjustements

Appreciate this forum as a place I can kick out frustrations, ideas, get feedback, etc!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #365  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

I'm feeling upset b/c the scale went up again. that thing needs to stop. I reread stage II of the I Diet and it says the water weight may adjust this week. okay. glad i took the time to reread it b/c it did make me feel better.
still annoying. i'm a human in the 21st century and want results NOW.
BF says, here we go again, two weeks in and you're discouraged. Not nice but true. that's annoying too. so I am not going to be discouraged today. I told him, even so, I'm sticking to the plan for six weeks more and that's that. It's not up for discussion or negotiation (the internal discussion).

So here's a question that I've always taken issue with the multitude of answers I receive: When you re-start working out, some of your new muscle weighs more than fat so you will see an increase in weight with all other things being equal. However, you should see a loss in inches because muscle is denser. My question is: How much does it really change? I mean, I don't think if I continue eating a low calorie diet - 1200-1400 cal/day and workout 30-45 minutes, that I should see a noticeable gain. At most a pound or two in the first two weeks and then it should stabilize and by week 3, it should actually increase fat loss due to the increased metabolism.
Does anyone have an "official" answer?

thanks, diet buddies for making me accountable this week. i need you now when the going is getting tough.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #366  

S/C/G: 140/134.5/120

Height: 5'5"

hello everyone!
I was pretty down yesterday evening. The scale went up a pound and I had to tell DH (because he's my coach). We talked about it for a while and I showed him my food log. I was under the impression that so long as I ate less calories than I burned, I would lose weight. So, I've been eating about 2000 calories and burning 2300 calories (on average). Over the past two weeks, I've only maintained or gained...so that theory doesn't work. Okay...while I don't need to resort to diet #2, I will modify diet #1. We agreed that I would eat 1500-1800 calories a day and don't record excercise calories - just note if I did it or not. I'll let y'all know if it works or not.

Beverlyjoy : your post about your grandson made me laugh. My FIL says that he and my children have a "common enemy"- me and DH! LOL I hope you enjoyed today!

synger: I have the same problem picking off plates and doing what Beck calls "spontaneous eating". It's always pretty healthy, but it does add up! That one is the toughest for me and I'm trying to figure out ways to combat it. The problem is, it always happens when I have to be in the kitchen- so I can't walk away and give myself a pedicure to combat the craving! I think I'll make a "NO CHOICE" sign to keep it in the forefront of my mind.

new2me2: Whenever lazy talk gets me, I use my self-talk techniques - first, I tell myself that I'll work out for 15 minutes and stop if I really don't wan to go on aka Flylady's "I can do anything for 15 minutes" (I always do go on for the remaining 30 after starting), then, I remind myself that it isn't just for weight- but that my mood is better after working out.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #367  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Morganlefey: A deficient of 300 cals a day results in 2/3 of a pound a week, add to normal fluctuations of water and such that can easily show as a pound up....hang in there! Cutting to 1800 cals gives you exactly a 3500 calorie deficit for the week....or a pound lost
Old 07-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #368  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Not a good day today. Far too much to do. And resentment crept in. And then extra food came along.

I Do Not Need This. Oh, well.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #369  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post

Not a good day today. Far too much to do. And resentment crept in. And then extra food came along.

I Do Not Need This. Oh, well.
Pretty much the same day I had.

Tomorrow will be better.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 AM   #370  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym, CREDIT moi, and this scrawny little old guy - about my age - next to me was using 70 pound dumbbells for the same chest press that I was doing with 50 pound dumbbells. He wasn't like the buff young studs who lift huge weights - he looked like . . . me. First I was annoyed. Then I remembered that I wasn't supposed to compare myself. Then I thought to be encouraged that maybe I could get that good if I keep at it. Yay for gym.

Best news ever: Yesterday there was a Groupon offer for 50% off Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - you pay $5 for $10 worth of ice cream at their stores around Boston. I immediately wanted to buy ten - I'd save $50 and I hadn't had Cherry Garcia in ages. I was drooling. So I thought about it all day, cycling through the flavors that I'd buy; I do love their stuff. Finally, I had this amazing thought while working out, It's not on my plan . . . I don't have to participate. And I didn't. CREDIT moi.

CeeJay - We need to form a club for those of us triggered by resentments.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hope you have your nephew again at your family meeting. Tell your DH that I'll bring a brand spanking new acetylene torch. I hope the airline is understanding - certainly not going to put my precious in checked baggage.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for a three year old grandson to keep your thinking straight.

Bonnie - I hope that Cheryl (Seadwaters) is sufficiently tending your needs, LOL.

silverbirch - I've noticed that when I look for a reason for overeating, I often find that minor resentments are a trigger for me. Not giant honking resentments that I can wrestle with, but the little ones so small that it'd be petty to acknowledge them.

Donna (new2me2) - Ouch for the pain in your ear - that does tend to increase ones susceptibility to the Sabotaging Thoughts to ease off the plan. Plum skins can be removed easily after blanching for 30 seconds in boiling water - have you tried that?

Houston2Command - Good decision there - just like today's quote from Beck, you've given yourself a NO CHOICE on six weeks on plan. Sorry, I don't have numbers for muscle gain and fat loss. But that's certainly a reason to track your inches everywhere so that you recognize what's happening when the scale is stuck but the inches are going down.

Amber (AmberPr) - Thanks for the reminder that if we don't start out with a super low calorie level, there's room to lower it.

Mikkijoe - Kudos for moving on to Plan B. Hope it works for you to vary the calories each day.

synger - It's so fun to just decide to go to a movie - "in 20 minutes." Kudos for grabbing healthy food on your way out the door. Count me as someone who'd have a hard time tossing three or four blackberries - the season's too short.

MorganleFay - Good move to not over react to a one pound gain. Would seem that a small adjustment to your calorie level will increase your average weekly loss. Neat idea to mount a NO CHOICE sign in the forefront of your mind.

Readers -
Quote:
day 33
Eliminate Emotional Eating

Apply Mindset Techniques
Apply the same kind of thinking techniques you previously learned to combat emotional eating:

. . .
Don't give yourself a choice. Once you say to yourself with conviction, NO CHOICE ... I'm definitely not going to eat, you'll stop struggling. You will struggle, though, if you waver and say to yourself, I hate feeling like this ... I don't know if I can stand not eating.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 228.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #371  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Quick g'mornin' to all my dear Beckies before I venture out for my totally self-indulgent next few days of great blues..yay, Duke Robillard...and then Girl's Week on the island. By the time I get back, Fearless Leader BillBE will have led us onto the August thread.

BillBE, loved the reference of "my precious" regarding your torch. My precious is my brand new by-pass pruner. Played at trimming trees with it last night---just like a hot knife through butter. Sorry, Beckies, I said the b word.

Am behaving a little bit better...finally hit the point I think where the pain is greater than whatever gain I thought I needed from indulging my food whims.

I picked the brain yesterday of my favorite maintainer ..she is so tiny..5'3" if she stands on tip-toe. She maitains at 118 or so...she said she had gained 8 pounds that she had to get off this winter..guess how she did it....

She *just *started *writing *it *all *down....hmmmppppffff. Imagine that.

That has always been my stopper..the way to stop the madness...can't imagine why I haven't started doing it. Prolly not gonna do it on the island, but usually am having too much fun there to do much damage to my waistline.

Re: the resentment discussion...not sure if this is helpful or not, because it is a truism about bitterness. It has been very helpful to me, and I wonder if we can come up with something similar for resentment.

"Bitterness is like ingesting rat poison expecting the rat to die."

"overeating in response to resentment is like....??

By the time I get back, my dear Beckies will have figgered it all out!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #372  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Stayed on-plan and under calories and carbs yesterday. Didn't have the second glass of wine I wanted. I'm trying eating more fat at breakfast (for satiety) and not having a planned snack mid-morning, and that's been working better than I thought it would. Floated a pat of sweet butter in my morning tea for the extra fat. Yummy without being overwhelming (of course, there's very little that can overwhelm lapsang souchong... it's a very robust, smoky tea!). I had the idea after reading about Tibetan butter tea.

Lunch was really good. I packed the last of my roasted veggies from last week, and leftover steak over salad greens, and a lovely tomato and a peach from our Mobil Farmer's Market guy. I'm finding that my normal amount of packed lunch is beginning to feel like too much... I could have foregone the peach easily, but was "afraid to be hungry" later in the afternoon, so I ate it anyway.

Interesting how that whole afraid to be hungry thing resonates with me. I know I get nasty and short-tempered when my blood sugar is low and I'm hungry. One of the first things my friends ask me if I am impatient is "when did you eat last?" But as I eat lower carb, I'm not seeing the spikes and valleys I had before. However, the habits of a lifetime of not allowing myself to go more than four hours without food are hard to break.

Interesting indeed.

Last edited by synger; 07-30-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #373  
Green Tomatoes

DH and his siblings inherited a piece of commercial real estate from his father. The lease is up this year, so we're negotiating a new one. No one in the family inherited the business acumen that his father had, so it's a struggle with everyone feeling inadequate to the job. But, we appear to be making some progress. Credit, me, for not eating over the stress. Not so good that I've managed no exercise in two days, but I still have a couple of days to finish up my July exercise minutes.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +0 1740/1800 minutes for July, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no
Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #374  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Good morning Beckies! Well, I just stayed home today. After dragging myself to work all week and dragging through my "workouts" I just decided to stay home. Head is still clogged, kind of headachy, stomach is a bit off and is sore, etc. Didn't sleep much, so just decided to call it a day after getting ready for work and just sitting here at the computer like a wet rag at only 5 am, lol. Fortunately the ear pain is gone today.

My main focus today is rest I think. I will try to do some smaller sessions of Walk It Out just for a little movement, and may go to the grocery store to get a couple of things. While I'm resting I plan to review a couple of things from the Beck book and maybe make some new response cards. I think I will also review my eating and make some adjustments for the coming week. Not sure what yet, but will adjust SOMETHING, lol.

My exercise last evening was an hour of Walk It Out...that's about all I had energy for by the time I got home.

My weight was down a little today, yay, lol.

Mikkijoe I hope your plan B is successful! It sounds like maybe it's exactly what you need!

Houston2Command A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat as muscle is denser. I don't have any links to give you (I may have some at work because I was really into fitness there for a while), but sometimes you gain muscle faster than you lose the fat so you can weigh more to begin with. Eventually the extra muscle will help burn calories and the fat will start going. I have found that for me personally, when I haven't done strength work for a while and do a workout, I tend to retain water as well. Do hang in there though! I really admire your tenacity!

MorganleFay Good luck with your plan revamp! Actually I do something similar to you. Sometimes I make deals with myself that I'll just do 10 minutes of something, anything, to get moving. Once I start I sometimes I can do more, and sometimes, it's just not there, lol.

Hoping silverbirch and CeeJay are having MUCH better days today!!

BillBlueEyes LOL on the scrawny old guy...good for you for turning something that started negative into positive thinking! Yay for NOT utilizing that groupon thing, lol. Re the plums...I haven't tried blanching them. I may give that a try before giving up. I'm not entire sure the plums aren't what caused the sore stomach today. It's very sour, lol.

maryblu Have TONS of fun on your island!

synger I can't tell you how often I still have that "afraid to be hungry" thing in my head. After so many weeks on the Beck plan, I still get that regularly! Good for you for recognizing it so quickly!

Last edited by new2me2; 07-31-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #375  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

Hi All! Well I'm glad I stuck it out b/c the scale finally found me in its favor. HAHA! It went down 1/2 lb. Even though I am still up from 3 days ago, it's a good sign. My body apparently needs a moment to catch up with my mind.

Maryblu: I like your bitterness quote. sent to my friends to ponder. makes things seem pretty silly. like the insanity definition.

I'm excited that I have done a good job getting back to my work outs this week. BIG CREDIT. I was worried that I would never go back and fall into the abyss.

Credit for eating my 1 1/2 cups of green beans last night. that's always hard.

Credit for enjoying lemon juice on things. have avoided that in the past and it's really delightful actually. maybe i'm growing up.

I told my 2 yr old daughter last night when she asked for pepper on her food that she didn't like pepper (I'd put it on her food before and she wouldn't eat it). Then I told her, but you will some day. You'll definitely like it some day. And she accepted that for what it was. Like I need to accept this food is good and tastes good even if I might not think it will.

Ironically, getting on plan made life easier. I always struggled with her meal and my meal preparation. I worried that it would get worse but amazingly she loves everything I eat on my plan so I make her a 1/3 portion. In fact, I can't keep her off my plate if I don't give her the same food! I am blessed with this child!

have a great weekend. I can't log in from my home computer for some reason so talk to y'all monday. I will be going to the gym today and at least once this weekend. Will make myself accountable to my coaches!

bon appetit!
Closed Thread