Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #331  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

It's discouraging to gain nearly a kilogram on the day I added two fruits, but I'm sure that it had more to do the sodium in the yakisoba for lunch and stir-fry for supper. Also, that every meal was tilted to late in the day -- I ended up with an afternoon snack at 1:30 and lunch at 3:30 because the plumber showed up and turned off the water just about the time I was thinking "I should be fixing lunch." With the weird schedule, I was hungry much of the day, so it wasn't a good test of my new eating plan. But I didn't go to bed hungry, so that's a good thing.

WI: +0.95kg, Exercise: +75 1695/1800 minutes for July, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy: so sorry that you're struggling. I definitely get the whole just tired of dealing with health issues. That happened to me when I was in cancer treatment when I was only 23 and had all that 20-something energy to throw at it. Afterwards, of course, I wished I'd spent less time fretting and more time reading pleasurable books and making notes on creative things to do with the rest of my life. But I'm not sure I could have pulled it off even if I'd thought of it.

seadwaters: good job brushing yourself off from a bad day. That's definitely a challenge. Is there something you could do different the next time? Or, is it a rare enough event that you can accept it as a bad day once in awhile and move on? Glad the dog situation is working out.

BillBlueEyes: great job talking back your Sabotaging Thoughts and getting to the gym!

AmberPr: Love your thoughts on naming your feelings. I need to work on that, too. I seem to have inherited my dad's inability in that area -- he was doing good if he could say whether he was feeling hot or cold!

Alma4343: Good job getting back on track after a slip-up!

Mikkijoe: We don't have a single full-length mirror. It's on the list, but hasn't happened yet. Now that I've lost some weight, the thought of it is more appealing!

Lexxiss: LOL at enjoying every bite of your first tomato while standing -- there are moments when it is possible to pay attention to food while standing and that's definitely one of them!

Hello silverbirch, FutureFitChick, CeeJay, new2me2, and anyone else who happens by!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #332  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Coaches/Buddies, the last two mornings, my husband and I have split a Belgian waffle for breakfast, supplemented with ½ cup of yogurt and some fruit. I skipped the syrup today and had it with 1 T of peanut butter and a banana. I really love those waffles, but I wish I could find a consistent nutritional description for calories/fat/etc. to be more accurate with my food tracking.

Today’s Essentials:
Weigh-in: I don’t have a scale with me, but I think I would have been the same as yesterday based on my intake/activity.
Read Advantage Cards two times: no, once only
Read Response Cards at least two times: no, once only
Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: yes
Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: yes, I stopped myself from getting something extra for breakfast.
Did spontaneous exercise: yes
Did planned exercise: none officially planned
Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: no, having difficulty with this since we are on vacation
Tracked today’s food: yes
Left food on my plate: not at breakfast, not at lunch, not at dinner
Ate only to normal fullness: overate at dinner
Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought: yes, that it didn’t matter if I had a doughnut on vacation

Alma4343, great job getting back on track after the unexpected guest. Posting here is hard for me if I’ve messed up a lot. I tend to give up easily. But, when I do post, it brings Beck principles back to the forefront of my mind.

AmberPr, your dog sounds so cute! What does she look like? As far as reading my response cards, I have lots of computerized check-lists, so when I sit down to work, it is always something I can check off that makes me feel automatically good about getting something done during the day early.

BeverlyJoy, NO MORE SLIPPING BACK! You are STRONGER than that and as the chief of your body’s medicine and medical team, you know the value of caring for yourself. You’ve got this under control! I believe in you!

BillBlueEyes, great job conquering your sabateur.

GardenerJoy, sorry to hear about the + 1 kg. I know that’s hard to see when you are experimenting with your intake needs.

Lexxiss, great job keeping your eye on the prize!

Mikkijoe, we have 5 mirrors, three in the bathrooms, one on my dresser, and one of which is a full-length one. I rarely use it, though I think I spend less than the average person on my appearance, including make-up, nails, etc. Good observation though. I’ll be interested to hear your further insights.

Seadwaters, I’m so glad your pup visitor settled in OK. Now, maybe you’ll be able to get more rest and be able to have better flexing of your resistance muscles with the available food.

Silverbirch, great job getting to the gymn!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #333  

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

Hi guys!

May I join you?

I started reading the Beck Diet Solution almost a week ago and just taking things one day at a time! A lot of stuff is resonating with me and I am hoping this is what finally helps me tackle my emotional battle with food.

I previously lost 81 pounds on my own (credit to me, yay!) but have now regained 43 pounds (yikes!) I could blame that on all sorts of things but I have to take ownership of the issue and responsibility for my actions in response to various life events. I am hoping Beck will help me develop strategies which will help me deal with these issues more effectively (and without stuffing myself with food and eating mindlessly).It has really helped already!

Lisa
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #334  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi friends/coaches!

Welcome Lisa, sure you may join us!

Another drive by. Yesterday wasn't quite as busy as had been forwarned. No one has said anything about today yet, but the computer is PAINFULLY slow again. I think they're running some programs in the background. Couldn't do anything this morning.

Yesterday wasn't my most stellar day, lol. I made some adjustments in my plan because of those cookies, but really felt sort of off-kilter the whole day. I am up another two-tenths of a pound...still not worried, but it is a wake-up call.

I went for a walk at lunch instead of sitting playing games in my iPhone, lol. YAY some CREDIT for me, lol. I did not eat my usual piece of chocolate for the ride home because of the cookies. More credit. I didn't want to exercise when I got home, but forced myself to do some Walk It Out, and did about 30 minutes. CREDIT. Did a little spontaneous exercise of some push-ups. I'm trying to gain back some of my "big girl" push-up strength, lol. Credit, lol.

Today is a new day.

ETA: Oh, and re the mirrors. I have the bathroom mirror, a full length mirror in my room, and a mirror over the dresser in the spare bedroom. There's also a very small mirror (very small, lol) hanging downstairs.

Last edited by new2me2; 07-27-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #335  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

SO, maybe it is just ME that is avoiding the mirrors! LOL, but it really has me thinking....about denial, In my head and my spirit I am only about 30 pounds over weight, seriously! This would be why I hate to go clothes shopping so much! Then I have to face reality, and it aint pretty! And the thought of facing "reality" on a day to day basis scares and depresses me......Just thinking out loud here, and maybe I am alone in this, but I wanted to share because I think it is very important to be authentic.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #336  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

LISA!

Welcome! You have a beautiful smile. I am so glad you joined us.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #337  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

Good morning. It's started quite busy.

Credit for working out last night even though all forces worked against it.
Credit for finishing first 2 weeks without any horrible tragedies of the mouth.
Credit for preparing for week 3 with groceries and planning.
Credit for properly packing my gym bag this morning.
Credit for not getting too upset that the scale moved the wrong way today! It clearly has a problem. I guess it was a normal adjustment. Happened in week 1 also once. I was just ticked that it happened on official way in day. grrrr.

Credit for losing over 5 inches in 2 weeks!!!!

beverlyjoy - it is so bothersome how easy it is to slip back into bad habits. It's like weeks and weeks to follow good habits and then wham, the bad habits take no time at all. I am genuinely scared to ever not eat on a plan again. If it took me 5 years to get where I am, could take me 5 years to get back to safety.

billyBE - we shoot at targets and make up point games (I am apparently competitive afterall). It's really fun. But I'd like to try skeet shooting now too.

hope everyone has a healthy great day!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 140/134.5/120

Height: 5'5"

Default Hello everyone!

Does someone have another chair to pull up? I'd love to join you all in your journey. I bought the Beck Diet Solution last week and I've gotten to Day 6- Arrange your Environment. Here's a little bit about me...

I'm 41 and just had baby #3 four months ago. I'm counting on the calories burned by breastfeeding to help me lose the extra 20 lbs I've been struggling with for years! It's encouraging to find out that I'm not alone in this. DH is someone that can decide to diet and stick with it until he reaches his goal. That has never been me. I've struggled with my weight - never gaining THAT much, but almost always at the top of my "normal" weight. Always seeming to not quite fit into the clothes that I want to wear when I want to wear them!

I look forward to learning from you and hope I can be a source of encouragement for you! I could use all the good Karma I can get!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #339  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A placeholder post.

Technical difficulties meant I did not eat my morning snack and, yes, the whole day has been off-kilter, as Donna put it above. I have the data about this now. No need to keep collecting the same findings.

Gymn tomorrow. Oh, yes! I did the 35 mins of yoga/stretching today but the gymn is better. Bill, I remember (or think I remember) reading about gymn being short for gymnasium in one of the Chalet School books by Elinor Brent Dyer when I was 9 or 10. (They were set in Switzerland.) So I've spelt it like that ever since. It could be part of my idiolect but I suspect it's got lost in the MSWordSpellCheckerization of the world. That's the program which can't spell 'liaison' (unless it's improved) and would hate my 'spelt' as past tense of spell. /rant over

Lisa! Where are you in Scotland? And is the weather torrential?

And to you, too, MorganLaFaye!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #340  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Okay, ya'll will have to forgive me, but I'm combining three or four pages into these personals, lol:

AmberPr I used to love to watch Body Electric on TV, but her workouts look “killer” with all the repetitions, lol. Yay on your weight loss!! LOL on the stupid old scale! I do sometimes step on twice, but that’s only if I see the weight “flicker”. I get on the second time to see which it is, lol. Gosh, sorry about the TIVO!

CeeJay Yay for another good day! OOOhhh Neil Young!!! Very nice!!

seadwaters(Cheryl) I’m so glad Bonnie calmed down. Ouch on the conference!

BillBlueEyes Yummmm, fresh peaches! Major credit for going to the gym!

Lexxiss Wow, all that commuting DOES sound busy! Major credit for noticing the donuts BUT NOT partaking!!!

Houston2Command Wow, new fish, shooting range and jet skis in one post!! How fun!!! LOL on “horrible tragedies of the mouth”! Yay for the lost inches!!! That’s great! As you may have seen above…I too went up a smidge. Again we are channeling one another, lol.

gardenerjoy Hum, yes, hunger fatigue and crankiness are not good. Again, got to love balance. And, I’d place my money on the Asian food for the weight gain! 

FutureFitChick Eating more at dinner sure could have been a lot worse than extra fish, but, yeah, I still need a lot of work in obeying those hunger signals!

Alma4343 Good for you for writing down everything even after a binge and for getting right back on track!!

Beverlyjoy Slipping off is always easier that being on plan! I think I will always have to be diligent about practicing what I know now. The health issue is a really tough one…it really wears one down, but you have been doing so very well with dealing with it!

Mikkijoe I don’t know if it’s facing reality so much as it just reinforces how much work I have left to do. I do look in the full length mirror most mornings when I get ready for work, and I’ll look if I’ve purchased something new—by-the-way, I rarely try them on in the dressing rooms in the stores…those mirrors do awful things to just about anyone. The only thing I HAVE to try on is pants. I’m between sizes and I just can’t get around having to try them all on.

MorganleFay Welcome!! Nice to “meet” you!

Waving to Silverbirch...off-kilter...not a great feeling I've decided!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #341  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Quick one tonight

My day started off well (scale was down to 201.4),
but my end-of-day meeting went long and it's pushing everything off a couple hours for eating.
I'm adjusting and I'm certain my calories will be within limit, but I'm not sure about the nutrients
...might figure it out yet tonight.

I left my laptop at work, so I'm using hubby's computer
-- so I'm basically screwed for media entertainment tonight. lol.
Actually, hubby is dusting off some old video called Survivor
-- I think Robin Williams might be in it.

Welcome to the new members
and "see you" all tomorrow!

Last edited by AmberPr; 07-27-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #342  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

Smile Happy Tuesday

Coaches and Buddies: Thanks for being here. I am really enjoying reading your posts and finding this very helpful. I have been a lurker on posts in the past, this is the first time I have ever posted to a board. Tomorrow is my weigh in day, I am excited/nervous!

Daily To DO’s
Read Advantage cards x2, yes
Read Response cards, yes
Eat slowly and Mindfully, could have done better
Give credit, yes, stayed on plan for 3 days in a row, exercise x2(spinning and pilates), posted on this blog
Spontaneous Exercise- yes walked around before pilates
Planned Exercise- yes, spin and pilates
Write Tomorrows Food Plan- Yes
Track Today’s food- Yes

Hello All:

FutureFitChick- your breakfast sounds so good. Thanks for the idea

Gardenerjoy- I don't know if there is a part in the Beck book I haven't gotten to that says to weigh everyday. I fluctuate so much (up to 3 lbs a day). So, I am only brave enough to weigh once a week. I am hoping to weigh daily when I get closer to goal. 9 lbs this month, EXCELLENT!

Lexxiss: skipping donuts is a major accomplishment, but the tomato sounds great

Beverlyjoy: I think posting on a blog when you are a little off track is great. I am inspired. I am typically all bad or all good. I have a goal to post here most days, thanks for the inspiration

Seadwaters: You are a saint for dealing with that dog. I know your family must really appreciate it.

BillBlueEyes: I really appreciate your observations. Thanks for pointing out the positive of my getting off track.

AmberPr: Such a beautiful picture! I usually weight 2 to 3 lbs more after I do ANYTHING in the morning, especially exercise. Your area sounds great for dogs.

Silverbirch: I really look forward to seeing the picture in your profile.

CeeJay: How was Neil Young? I bet great. Congrats on responsible eating in the city.

new2me2: I remember when I worked in an office with great coworker goodies. Hard to resist. I work from a home office now so temptations are a lot less.

Houston2command: Sounds like you had a really fun weekend. Friends and boyfriends and eating out make for tougher situations when dieting. Your "recovering fat chick" terminology cracked me up. 5 inches in 2 weeks....SUPER (I am a little jealous

MissVitality: Welcome, I just joined this group less than 2 weeks ago. I am finding it really helpful. I decided I needed to change my mind to change my diet, this book is really working for me so far.

MorganleFay: Welcome and congratulations on the new baby!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #343  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

'Lo, Beckie friends, new and old.

Well, pride goeth before the fall. Just as I proclaimed my flower gardens, all nine of them, at "peak" a day or so ago, 12 hours of torrential rain, wind, and quarter inch hail pretty much nullified that notion. Funny, as I stood wringing my hands and watching the hail bounce today, all I could think of was my phlox. It wasn't until I got in my car to go into town for an appt. that I realized that I had left it out. Well, I *do have my priorities, and I don't want my old car with 170K on it to feel too pretty. ..seemed unharmed, after all. My tomatoes seemed to do OK, too.

Ceejay, sista, am soooo intune to 2 nights of Neil Young being better than one!!! Good for you. Countdown to Friday and Duke Robillard. Let it be known that I *always listen to his CD "Turn it Around" on my way up the high hill I climb every day in the fall..every, every time, and then I dance on top. It will feel really *strange to have people around me and Duke on Friday night. It *is, after all, about *me and him!

Then on the weekend I head to the island for Girl's Week. Amberpr, you can appreciate this: a 2 and 1/2 acre island on a very clean lake in northern MN. Last year I laughed so hard I lost my breath, as if I had knocked the wind out of myself! Now, it just struck me so cute when you said:

"I must say, I'm really lucky to live where I live. We're about 3 miles out of town on a 3 mile dead-end dirt road."

Dunno, Amber, but somethin' tells me that about 98% of the population would think that extremely *unlucky. Yanno? *laffin'. Had to really laugh tonight as I was reading how to get the best view of the Perseid Meteor Showers on Aug. 12 and 13..the author was advising people to find a "safe place in a rural setting away from urban lights"...hmmm...seems like the middle of my lake on the Fun Island should be safe enough. *laffin'.

Am so intune to the mirror discussion. It doesn't matter how many or where, I can avoid them if I choose, or look selectively. Hope to post something meaningful Beck-wise soon..just wanted to check in lest you all fogeddaboutme.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #344  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome Lisa (MissVitality)

Lisa (MissVitality)

And, in case you didn't get one of these some 20 months ago,

How did you find out about the Dr. Judith Beck books?

And how did you find the Beck Forum here on 3FC?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #345  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome MorganleFay

MorganleFay

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you find out about the Dr. Judith Beck books?

And how did you find 3 Fat Chicks and the Beck Forum here?
Closed Thread