Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #256  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I did good enough at dinner at the vegan restaurant with my family, CREDIT moi. I learned that the essence of a grilled Ruben sandwich isn't corned beef - as I've always believed - but sauerkraut, grilled bread, and magic sauce. I never even asked what the corned beef substitute was as I savored the experience and just didn't need to know. Nor did I ask what the "sour cream" served with the Nachos was made from. Clever folk those vegans.

Got to work out at the gym before dinner; CREDIT moi. I wore the t-shirt that I picked up at a yard sale on Saturday. All gym clothes should come from yard sales, LOL. Speaking of fashion, I finally figured out why I hate one of my summer knit shirts - it's a size LARGE and a Medium fits me, DUH! Had presumed that my valet was taking care of those things. I just thought I looked frumpy in that color, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Love the notion of cleaning up your dry creek bed into a functional brook again. My dream property has a running brook - with trout (hungry, easy to catch ones, of course).

FutureFitChick - Sending supportive thoughts that you get past the pain and get your concentration back. I just noticed your item, "Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought:" that's telling it like it is! I hate that I'm so capable of telling myself whatever it takes to maintain the status quo.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Big Kudos for sticking to your plan to go to the gym and another Kudos for promptly making a plan for tomorrow. Great to be reminded that the essence of the Beck program is plan, plan, plan. I discovered your ANZAC biscuit under the name Bickies when they were sold by Trader Joe's one year - briefly. Good thing they were only sold briefly because I was hooked. Was informed by an Australian friend that only Golden Syrup can be used - there is no substitute.

silverbirch - Kudos for standing down an offer of birthday cake, even it could be described as stale, with your planned snacks in your pocket. What a good demonstration of sane living for the boy.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay that family comes; Yay that family leaves. Good luck handling the upcoming migration with a pup that isn't fully healed yet. And Kudos for seeing that you now need a little you time.

Donna (new2me2) - Ouch for feeling poorly - apparently it's contagious here on the Beck thread yesterday, LOL. It's interesting that feeling under the weather makes some of us feel less hungry and some more.

Houston2Command - Yay for sweat therapy - might be the cure for lots of stuff. And Congrats on the big loss for your first week.

Amber (AmberPr) - Gotta remember these crazy days of rain and sunshine during those looooong, drizzly, winter days when we never see the sun at all. Good luck surviving deadline week. Is that a yearly deadline?

Kelly (MutableParadox) - Kudos for "Being positive" even when feeling icky. That can be hard.

Alma (Alma4343) - Neat trick to do triple exercise to carry you through your hunger exercise. Kudos for completing that. If you do it again, it might be worth while to concentrate on recording the feelings of hunger, since getting that calibration into the brain is one of the goals. Yay for biking about town.

Readers -
Quote:
day 33
Eliminate Emotional Eating

Like these dieters, you might soothe yourself with food because you don't like feeling distressed or bored. Food can certainly be an effective distractor - temporarily. But eating doesn't solve the problem that led to your distress in the first place. In fact, eating emotionally creates another problem: You feel bad about straying from your diet.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 227.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #257  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks....life has been very stressful. I have used some of my resistance techniques to avoid stress eating at times I have done some overeating. But, better than it could be.

Life is very stressful. My surgery is scheduled for next week and I have a something going on with my skin all over my body. The dermatologist says he doesn't think it's a stress. He says he doesn't believe in that....hmm. He is doing different things to figure it out. He did a biopsy to try and figure it out. I am not sure I can go forward with the surgery until we know what it is or isn't. Once I have this surgery I can't be 'running around' to deal with the red raised spots that that itch only sometimes. I don't want to reschedule - but, it might happen.

Things have been up and down with my emotions.

It's a new day with new possibilities.

Have a great day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-21-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #258  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Just finished reading the pink book. Some very helpful things in there that I've bookmarked. Am loving the cards!

Trying to figure out how to plan dinner, since my husband is usually the cook, and he doesn't think about it ahead of time... we just keep meat in the freezer, and veg, and he goes with what is interesting at the time. It's on plan, but not planned ahead, if you know what I mean.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #259  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Good morning coaches/buddies/friends!

Well, my low of yesterday held today, so, yep, it's officially 14 pounds lost since May 1.

Yesterday was a bit off-plan, lol, even considering I didn't have a written plan. Fortunately it was with fruit...could have been much worse. My company is having fresh fruit brought in once a week and yesterday was the first day. They had a delicious looking apricot, the prettiest orange I've ever seen--yes it was ORANGE, lol. I decided I HAD to have it, AND, praise be (after I ate it) I looked it up on Weight Watchers and it was a ZERO point food!! Okay, the bad news is, I went back and got a nectarine. It was really good. It was not zero points, lol. Fortunately I still had 14 points left for the week which ends tomorrow. Still it was unplanned and more than I needed. I WAS hungry, but it definitely wasn't planned. Then I went on to have my planned treats of a chocolate on the way home AND my watermelon snack in the evening.

I did some exercise, but just Walk It Out...about an hour and ten minutes, again at a slow pace. I'm feeling kind of lackadaisical I guess...I haven't really wanted to do much, so WIO is good because it's more like play and at least gives me some movement. This morning I didn't even want to walk up the stairs at work, but forced myself. So some credit there I guess. This is all probably related to whatever it is that's trying to get me (LOL!). The sore throat is gone, and the pain in my ear when I swallow is also gone, but feels like it could be temporary. I took some allergy medicine last night and that perhaps did the trick--if the throat and ear come back later, it's probably just allergies. {{sigh, lol}}

gardenerjoy Glad to hear that thunderstorms have their uses, lol! Can't offer advice on the creekbed. My sister lives up in the hills by Yosemite and has a small creek that runs through her property, but I don't think they do anything with it.

Lexxiss Yes, family stuff can be quite stressful at time...hope that gets resolved soon for your family! Glad you will now have some time for yourself!

FutureFitChick I'm so sorry the new doctor didn't help! I have several friends with fibromyalgia and I know how much suffering is involved with it!

MutableParadox Good list of credits...being positive is especially a good one!

silverbirch LOL on the old cake! Good for you for sticking with your snack!

AmberPr Glad the new staff is working out so well!!!

Alma4343 Yay for a successful hunger practice!! Good luck with your weigh in!

seadwaters(Cheryl) Major credit for going to the gym when you didn't want to!! Yay on 213.6!!

BillBlueEyes Yes, I had a co-worker who was Vegan and they are very clever, lol! LOL on the t-shirt...the valet is apparently slacking just a bit, lol! And, re the hunger...yes, unfortunately I am one of those people whose appetite is rarely affected. The only time it is is when my gastro is flaring, when I'm extremely excited about something (usually getting ready to leave for a trip) and really, that's about it, lol. Sickness doesn't suppress it at all, lol.

Beverlyjoy Gosh I hope they can figure out what the rash is so you can get the surgery over with and move on! I'm pretty happy your doctor doesn't think it's stress...most doctors would be quick to label it such...and I'm really happy he biopsied it!

synger Well, for "planning" you could "plan" several alternate meals that DH usually makes and then it would be on plan. I have about 3 alternate lunch combos I bring to work...what I bring to work usually depends on how I feel that day, both healthwise and mentally, lol. They are all on my plan and I've planned in advance that they will all work in any daily plan I make. Does that even make sense?! LOL!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #260  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is a supper and concert at the Garden. But I've been to enough similar events now to know how to handle it:
* eat all nonstarchy veggies
* eat half or less of the rest of the items on my plate
* ignore all walking appetizers
* have no more than one alcoholic drink -- and skip that unless it's more interesting than mediocre wine

seadwaters probably doesn't realize the appalling lack of historical and geographical knowledge in the US, so that most of us don't understand the significance of ANZAC -- I know only because I visited New Zealand in the same year that I saw the movie Gallipoli. ANZAC stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp that fought in World War I, including the disastrous campaign on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey. It's such a big event in Australian and New Zealand history, that they observe April 25th as ANZAC Day with celebrations similar to our Memorial Day. The story I like about ANZAC biscuits, although it probably has more romance than reality, is that the sweethearts of the soldiers came up with this cookie recipe that wouldn't crumble or spoil while being shipped half way around the world.

Alma4343: good job on the hunger experiment!

Lexxiss: glad you survived the family visits and are working on what a good plan for you is in your current reality.

Beverlyjoy: so sorry for your skin problems on top of everything else. I had some similar skin problems of itchy re bumps over the winter that we never satisfactorily explained and still continues off and on. I have a treatment that works (steroid ointment), but not a clue what causes it. I do think it correlates with stress, though.

Hi to everyone else!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 07-21-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #261  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

So its all about plan, plan, plan.........so I am planning to going back to my plan! Hows that?

Chaos, traveling, stress, water retention, etc.....Has gotten the best of me and I was not prepared for the attack all at once. So I am spending time this weekend making a more concrete plan, and making myself be accountable to that. Sunday I am starting back at day 1, because I am already finding myself floating past things that I 'KNOW" Yeah, well if I knew everything I would not have eaten that huge slice of chocolate cake with ice cream, OR had ice cream last night too.......and guess what, Cake does not even float my boat!
Alot of it is hormonal, sure I can blame that ............or I can just fight it next time! Especially since I am going to be dealing with that for several more years. That sounds a little more safe--not easy--but the smart way to do it.

Am I the only one who just thinks they know it all? I have been down this road so many times, and I never continue on the road, I jump off into the muddy ditch! So obviously I DONT know it all....yet those 'voices' in my head seem to think I do...I start reading and I find myself doing 'Yeah, yeah, lets get to something I dont already know" Am I alone here?

BOY this is a job to get rid of our 'stinkin thinkin'

Credit today: a planned dinner of lentil soup, homemade Naan bread, green salad, fruit.
2nd Credit: we are packing food for our trip that will cover 2 lunches and 2 snacks, hotel breakfast provided, and so then just dinner out Friday night, and possibly Saturday on our way home
Area to work on: 3rd day this week I have not packed lunch, which means I just wont eat, which is my life long poor habit of only eating after 5pm, just drinking coffee all day long
Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #262  

S/C/G: 166/166/125

Height: 5'7"

Default misery wears a brown skirt

I feel better today after sleeping close to 24 hours. My poor daughter suffers the "couch" mama when I'm sick.

I am doing a Vitamin C boost every other hour and it's helping. At least the bronchitis is fading fast and I suspect I should be in good health by Monday. C'est la vie! I will say that the sauna was awesome. Then I went home and bundled up in too many blankets, set my alarm for child pick up time, and passed out for 3 hours.

Maybe i'm allergic to the gym. haha. The funny thing is that even though I slept most of the day, I still wanted COMFORT FOOD. I wanted to feel full and with chicken pot pie or something yummy that said, it's going to be okay!

I resisted but I dreamt that I finished off a carton of ice cream. It was so yummy. It was No sugar added but I had like 4-5 servings in my dream. so silly. I guess with my delirium, I was unable to fight the temptation.

I know it seems like I've been sick since I started with 3FC and I have. In general, I am not a sick person which is why I am so frustrated! I want to work out and eat great and am so excited for it. I know this is just a moment in time but it's tiresome to me. I lack patience and this is getting on my nerves! Sorry to rant.

Hope everyone is doing great. Thanks for the positive thoughts on my weight loss thus far.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

Hello Buddies and Coaches,

Today is weigh day for me, I am down 4.8 lbs total (4 weeks) and 3.2 for the week!!!! I am so happy! I think I had a big loss this week due to the fact I went a couple weeks with 0 lb 0 oz losses. It was a relief to see the scale move. .2 more lbs to reach the first 5! Hopefully I will report that I have met that goal on Wednesday next week.

Lexxis: I am laughing at your term "truthometer".

Seadwaters: I missed why you need stiches. Ouch. Hope those come out soon. the Anzac's sound really good.

BillBlueEyes: You are right, I think I focused more on distraction techniques than feeling hunger. The vegan sandwich sounds good.

Beverly: I use to break out in a rash when I was younger and felt anxiety. Lucky for me I didn't feel it very often. I never asked a doctor about it though, but strange a dermotologist doesn't think it can happen. But, I am no doctor, may have "misdiagnosed" myself. It no longer happens to me.

Synger: Congratulations on finishing the book. I still have a while to go. I am on day 13...cravings

New2me2: 14 lbs is SUPER! Congratulations

Houston2command: I am one of those people that rarely gets sick too. I can go 4/5 years with nothing . then, I have a year like last year and get sick MANY times. I am not sure why that is. Get better soon!

Mikkijoe: I like the plan to plan. That is going to be the hardest part for me to do consistently. But, it sure is emphasized in the book so I am going to try! (I think that chapter is tomorrow for me.)
Old 07-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #264  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Gardenerjoy: thank you for posting about ANZAC. I wondered whether to, hesitated and didn't. Glad you did.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #265  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Hello Everyone!

Beautiful day today! I got in a nice walk this morning. It was about 65 out with a slight breeze. I think my legs are actually feeling better, I'm not noticing the ache so much today.

Some stress this afternoon-- it started because my partner is stressing out and then when I came home, I think I was still carrying the vibe.…I wonder if that's why I felt I needed some more nuts, or that little bit of ice cream in the fridge.

Food Log!
b: 7grain cereal w/almond milk, dried cranberries and some stevia/honey (307 cal)
Sn: Herb-a-Life Cookies & Cream protein shake made with almond milk and 1 T of cookies & cream pudding mix (about 240 cal)
Lunch: Salad w/ veggies, gorgonzola cheese, dressing and two crackers
Sn: Apple & 2 nuts (off plan - 1/4 cookie & 1/2 cup ice cream...slipping…)
Dinner: Turkey Loin (4oz) w/ potato & cauliflower
Sn: cherries if I need them!

Credits
  • Had a quarter of a cookie and enjoyed it.
  • Noticed that I was full after breakfast
  • Weighed myself : 203.8??? I'm gonna claim that 205 from yesterday!
  • Tried out our new instant read thermometer. I like it. Tells me when each kind of meat is cooked.
  • 2 walks
  • Working on tomorrow's meal plan

Good Night!
Amber
Old 07-22-2010, 03:43 AM   #266  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday evening

Hi Coaches

I am checking in before I leave work late as I need to shop on the way home etc. I ate on plan today and last night. I saw a new low today - sure it will be up again tomorrow - that's how the weight goes. Shopping for food for meals while my sister is here for the weekend - she gets here on Friday (tomorrow). I need a bullet proof plan or I will just eat. Will see how it goes.

Thanks Gardenerjoy for the story of the ANZACs and the ANZAC biscuits - it is an important part of the Australian psyche. And as BillBE says they need to be made with Golden Syrup - that is what makes them moist and chewy

BeverlyJoy - I hope today brought better possibilities and a bit of peace.

I appreciate all your postings Beckies and will try to catch up tomorrow

Credits -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - NO - $0
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise
behaviours - yes
- Limit junk food to once per day - Yes - $1
- Made food plan - Yes - $1
- Logged food soon after eating - YES - $1
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Posted to the list - Here I am
- Ate seated every time - YES - $1
- Ate mindfully and slowly - Yes
- Put down fork occasionally - Yes
- Weighed myself - Yes - Down - 212.2 - $1
- Drank water - Yes
- Exercise - No - $0

TALLY (only red ones earn money!) - DAY = $5; Week = $

Working on -
Reading A&R cards - need to put it back on the agenda - STILL

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl
Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #267  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome synger

synger

And, just in case these weren't invented 10+ years ago when you joined,

What drew you to the books of Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find your way over here to the Beck Forum?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #268  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I had two cucumbers in my lunch (CREDIT moi) as well as a large cucumber for salad with dinner. Note the theme: they just keep coming.

As part of my evening walk (CREDIT moi), after I picked up a battery for the smoke detector and got money from the ATM, I harvested from our community garden. Picked out first full sized tomato of the season - from plants that are just laden with green tomatoes. It's gonna be a fine crop when they ripen. And a handful of . . . cucumbers. Have I mentioned their abundance, LOL.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Waving. Thought of you when I read of "obese star - twice as heavy as any previously discovered - has already slimmed down considerably over its lifetime" - your guys keep finding weirder and weirder stuff.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for having a well-rehearsed plan for "supper and concert at the Garden." Sounds like fun.

Beverlyjoy - Sending warm, supportive thoughts as you wrestle the health issues. I hate when I have unexplained rashes - that just arrive without an invitation and leave on their own schedule. Will keep thinking positive thoughts that your surgery will happen on schedule.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Good idea to have a "bullet proof plan" when family approaches, even if only one sister. Family begets eating, that's for sure.

silverbirch - Yep, the story of the ANZAC is told far and wide outside of Australia.

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for apricot. Yay for ORANGE. Yay for nectarine. Yay for watermelon. And Yay for Weight Watchers calling some of them, eaten individually, zero points. Fresh fruit draws me also. Yep, Kudos for forcing your reluctant self to walk up the stairs.

Houston2Command - Now that's a choice Sabotaging Thought, "Maybe I'm allergic to the gym." LOL at your struggles with sticking to your eating plan in your dreams. Fortunately, no calories in dreams.

Amber (AmberPr) - Ouch for contagious stressing out - kinda awful to get the bad vibes when it's someone else's stuff. Big Yay for an accurate meat thermometer - worth its weight in gold.

Mikkijoe - Yep, "planning to going back to my plan" starts the process, LOL. Also LOL at "Yeah, yeah, lets get to something I don't already know" - this Cognitive Behavior Therapy stuff seem so simplistic that I wanted to just finish the book and get to something substantive, until I started actually doing the strategies. They remind me of the plank exercise - boringly simplistic for the first 15 seconds or so ... and then it begins to sink in why it works.

Alma (Alma4343) - Congrats that the scale this week is catching up with the previous weeks. Looking forward to your 5 pound mini-goal.

synger - Love the notion, "It's on plan, but not planned ahead" - Yep, seems to be a characteristic of male cooks, LOL. Kudos for having finished the pink book. Would be interesting to know which ideas you found that caught your eye.

Readers -
Quote:
day 33
Eliminate Emotional Eating

Ella often ate when she was out of sorts. For example, one day, Ella's boss asked her to stay late at work for a third night in a row. Ella had many negative thoughts: He is so inconsiderate! Doesn't he think I have a life? Why should I have to work late? Why doesn't he ask someone else? These thoughts left her fuming. When she got home late, she was still upset and completely abandoned her food plan. When she'd finished polishing off a pint of ice cream, she got mad at herself.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 227.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #269  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I follow where life leads and we have another family member in the hospital;DH's DD....assulted and in a not so good space. We travelled with Mom yesterday and are leaving this morning to sort through things.

*credit* I brought my Beck book
*credit* I have healthy food choices on my brain even though I ate a moderate portion of crap last night.

I'm going to sign off here for a few days although I will check in on SBD forum.

Special thoughts for Beverlyjoy today and always!

Take care everyone and think Beck!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #270  
Green Tomatoes

The event at the Garden got canceled due to weather, leaving us all dressed up with no place to go. We ended up going to a new Mexican restaurant that's been kind of the talk of the town recently. I employed the same strategy: one alcoholic beverage (a pomegranate "margatini," fixed like a margarita but served in a martini glass), ate every bite of a large salad, and half of everything on my entree plate. Since it was a restaurant instead of the catered event, I got to bring the rest of the entree home!

Still, I decided not to weigh myself this morning and I'm skipping breakfast since we have an early lunch planned and I'm not hungry--a pretty good indication that I ate more than normal last night.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +45 1390/1800 minutes for July, Food: 60%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

BillBlueEyes: yay for harvesting that first tomato! I just went out to check mine -- still all green, but there are a lot of them!

seadwaters: yay for a new low!

AmberPr: good job keeping the stress eating under control and yay for walks on beautiful days!

Alma4343: way to go in continuing your efforts in spite of a couple of weeks of no movement on the scale -- it's so hard, but always such a great reward when the scale finally does show the results of your efforts.

Houston2Command: hope you're feeling better soon!

Mikkijoe: sometimes planning to plan is exactly what it takes to get me going!

Hugs to Lexxiss and Beverlyjoy and greetings to anyone else who drops by!
Closed Thread