Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #166  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Was concerned about the potluck at my book club last night, so I planned in advance to have exactly one plate and a small dessert. Then did just that; CREDIT moi. You'd think that would be the everyday event, but I've been a bit shaky on some potlucks lately with extra servings of healthy foods - as if there were no calories in stuff with anti-oxidants and vitamins. I took one plate of four vegetarian salads - not particularly low calorie salads with their black beans, avocado, etc. Then a small portion of a spice cake with the strawberry shortcake without the shortcake - just the strawberries from the local farmers' market. A good evening. AND, the best part, I had read enough of the book that I didn't have to fake it, LOL.

Standard gym, CREDIT moi.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Kudos for running while on a business trip - I find exercise on the road a real challenge.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good work talking yourself out of the sabotaging thought that you "under stress and needed the comfort." Hope things work out for your brother.

Shepherdess - Congrats on your successful presentation. Anything you can do to help out the USDA would be appreciated - it's such a big country and so different throughout. My DW would appreciate that Alpaca poop - she'd do an experiment to see if it did better than the compost from out bin.

Beverlyjoy - Congrats on moving forward, pound by pound. Kinda exciting to see onederland in the future. Ouch for the attack of the zucchini bread - that kind of thing can get past my defenses by the word "zucchini" as if a small touch of a healthy veggie cancels the sugar-bread.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Anxiously awaiting news about the microwave's trip to "the hospital" - hard to imagine life without one. I don't know if there's an alternative way to make oatmeal.

Donna (new2me2) - Forgetting chocolate is beyond thinking like a thin person, LOL. Yay for skipping through sprinklers.

Woodland - Waving back. And a good day to you also.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies

. . .
When you're finished eating, make it final. Arrange the flatware so that the handles rest in the remaining food. If you can, put your paper napkin on your plate. Push away your plate.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 216.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-17-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #167  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Yesterday was a pretty good Beck day, but not an easy one. I just had the urge snack all PM even though I wasn’t hungry. I stopped myself, but I don’t know where that came from. It’s just time to get out my card: “Dieting is supposed to get hard. Just keep practicing your skills and it will get easy again.” I had a pretty active day and didn’t feel much like working out in the PM, but I did drag myself off the couch and do my planned weights.

Beverlyjoy, congrats on another lb down and one mini-goal away from onederland! The warm zucchini bread would be pretty tough to resist. The “when in doubt throw it out” is a great rule, but I would have a tough time with that one too.

Woodland, kudos for a day on program. Pop in whenever you need us. We’ll be here.

Seadwaters, commiserating with you on bush turkeys, but I would love to see what an Aussie Turkey looks like. Kudos for giving the 2000 calories a chance and then making a good decision when it wasn’t working. The prednisone does add additional challenges, so good luck making the switch.

BillBE, great job making a good plan for your book club potluck and sticking to it. I’m trying to absorb some of your will power right now. LOL at your description of zucchini bread. The site where I sometimes log my calories correctly identifies zucchini and banana bread as “cake.” It keeps me in check when I’m logging my food.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck coaches, buddies, friends - yesterday I stayed with my plan, mostly. I actually changed what I ate for dinner - I wrote it down and it was in my calorie range. I am always grateful for a good calorie day.

The last few days I feel kind of sluggish and a bit lightheaded now and then. I need to move more and see if it makes me feel better or worse.

Today is a day of errands, computer tasks, writing, appointments. Etc.

I’ve decided not to worry about the tv on or off when I eat. I always portion my food and almost never have seconds. I will see if I can concentrate on the food even if the tv is on. It’s makes me laugh that this is such an issue for me. In the first book Dr. Beck says that eating with the tv on is such a big part of our culture, that we need to learn to eat with the tv on now and then. It’s just ‘lonely’ with only the food when I eat alone. I like the noise and such. So funny to say. I am still, however, working on eating very slowly and tasting each bite. Such a process…lol,

Yesterday
Leave a bite - all the time
Plan, log, measure, count calories - all the time - except when I changed dinner
Eat seated - all but once - mindless bite of something
No seconds - all the time
Taste food - some of the time
Fork down - some of the time
Read beck book - no
Arc/rc - some of them
Exercise/spontaneous exercise - teeny bit of gardening

Billbe - so glad to hear that all your planning helped you to make good choices at the potluck. It’s nice to leave a potluck without feeling any guilt. Glad you read enough of the book to enjoy the discussion.

Woodland - hi back! Glad you posted. I too find reading the posts so helpful.

Seadwaters - not fair! When meds impact weight loss. I’ve dealt with that too. It’s frustrating. Good idea seeing if cutting calories a bit will impact your weight loss. I know many people who have had good success with calorie cycling. You wrote - Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours -yes Well done!!

shepardess - glad you had a good Beck day - yes...sometimes it's just hard. Darn it. I like what you wrote on that response card. I am going to write that down too. Good job on doing the weights - when you didn't feel like doing anything.

Shout out to everyone reading and posting!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-17-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #169  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

Busy mornings are great moments to recognize that I do have things I need to do for me despite the flashing sign that says hurry up! I'm trying to work off a check list I made several weeks ago.
So: Before I leave for planned exercise I will:
have breakfast-done
plan for lunch-done
post hellos at 3FC-done
read resistance cards-done
read from Beck book-Day 26/27 done
email my diet coach-done
give myself credit for making dieting and exercise a priority-done!

to Woodland! Yay for another Coloradoan!

My days are getting busier here. I'm helping a friend move starting today, which will keep me busy until vacation Bible school starts on Monday. I'm responsible for food-but the good news is that it will be healthier this year*credit* and we're going green-no more paper plates *credit*!

Thanks everyone for posting here. It really helps to learn from your experiences, too.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #170  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I came back one pound lighter than I left. It didn't feel like my eating was on plan. Meals were large, and not always the healthiest or lightest choices, but I stopped when I was full and there was no snacking to speak of.

I am tired. Picking up my bike today, and planning to ride tomorrow. I forget where I am in the 40 day push, so I'll figure that out tonight.

I head out again on Sunday for a week. I need to review Beck travel strategies.

Anne
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #171  
Green Tomatoes

I just got a call from my brother and he's being released from the hospital! The doctors just decided so it will be hours before it really happens, but I'm going to run up and get him and bring him home. His fever's gone, the inflammation is much reduced, and they think he'll be fine with bed rest and oral antibiotics at home.

So, has anyone actually tried the diet in the Complete Beck Diet Solution? I'm considering that one along with the one in the book by the doctor from The Biggest Loser. Both are exchange plans augmented by calorie counting. I've also got one more book coming from the library that may have a diet I'll consider.

WI: +0.4kg, Exercise: +60 745/1600 minutes for June, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

new2me2: How do you like your Wii Walk It Out? I've had my Wii for a month and I've been using Wii Fit so far, but I'm starting to think about what fitness game I want next.

Shepherdess: so glad that your presentation went well! Events are just hard -- they are so difficult to plan for because they are different every time. Thanks for the nutrition profile of wild rabbit! News we can use!

Beverlyjoy: good job avoiding the warm zucchini bread as long as you did and, especially, for the willingness to start anew. I confess that I eat with TV on at supper with DH and with a book most of the rest of the time. I do, occasionally, when the weather is interesting, eat with no distractions but what is outside the window and I'm declaring that good enough for now.

Woodland: waving!

seadwaters: looking forward to hearing how calorie cycling goes for you. That's not a technique I've been willing to try, yet. But, the diet in the Beck book was too low-carb for me when I first looked at it and now I'm seriously considering it, so calorie cycling may be something else that will look better to me at some point in the future.

BillBlueEyes: credit for the potluck -- and reading most of the book! I'm one and a half stories into the anthology that we're reading for our next Book Club meeting which is next week. It's been slow going and I need to speed it up a bit if I'm going to be a good participant.

Lexxiss: great job with all of your morning credits!

AnneWonders: welcome home! Yay for a pound off.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #172  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Everyone.

Getting back on track. Hopefully I've hit a low point now and am going to be doing better, but we'll see.

Gardenerjoy, I'm happy your brother is doing well enough to come home from the hospital.

Shepherdess, I like your response card that you mentioned. I think that really gets to the point that we are selecting to live on the road that may be a little more difficult for us, but get us to a better destination.

BillBlueEyes, I made your granola for the first time, finally. It came out pretty well. Thanks for the recipe.

Lexxiss, thanks for the recipe. I've got some kale in the refrigerator, so I'll probably make that soup soon.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 06-17-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Beck friends! My weight is down a bit more today, but I'm not celebrating just yet, lol. I had a gastroparesis flare yesterday, and by afternoon was unable to eat. I had a horrible pain in my abdomen most of the day starting mid-morning, but WAS able to eat until late afternoon. On the way home I picked up my chocolate to eat on the way home, and as soon as I picked it up my stomach did a tiny little flip. I put it back and just drove home, lol. I was hoping a little exercise might help, but knew the DVD I had in mind was too much, so did Walk It Out, but only made it 30 minutes. Every step made the pain worse. So, I just layed on the couch for a while. I thought I might be a bit hungry since it'd been about 5 hours since I last ate, so I made a little protein shake, and managed to get half down, but knew I'd have problems if I drank more. So, I think my calories were way under yesterday.

I'm feeling better today. I didn't get a lot of sleep, but more than I thought I would and my stomach pain is gone. I had a small mild protein shake for breakfast earlier and just had half a gluten free muffin and a cup of tea with honey. So far so good, although I can still feel it in my stomach, which is a sign that the flare isn't quite over. I made no food plan for today, but with a gastro flare that's not usually a problem since food isn't a problem, lol. I only brought 1/2 cup rice and 3 oz of chicken for the whole work day, and that should be plenty.

Shepherdess: Wow, we have our very own celebrity! Good job on your presentation! Oooh, I HATE those late evening/night snacky moods! They strike me at times too! Great job on stopping it! That Beck stuff really sticks, lol.

Beverlyjoy: Ouch for giving in to temptation, but you did really good in resisting it as long as you did! Congratulations on losing your pound and for being so close to your mini goal. I always eat while doing something else, lol. It's either TV or computer. The computer will actually slow me down as I have to put down my plate or glass to type something. The TV not so much, but like you I always portion my food and only cook/make what I intend to eat so it's usually not a problem.

Woodland: Jump in whenever you feel like it!

seadwaters (Cheryl): I've heard of calorie cycling and with mostly good things being said about it. It kind of makes sense too when one thinks about it.

BillBlueEyes: Very nice planning and mucho credit for sticking to it at the potluck!

Lexxiss -ing back.

AnneWonders: Congratulations on coming back 1 pound lighter!!!! Yay!

gardenerjoy: I'm so happy your brother is better!! I have not tried Beck's diet so can't comment on it. My employer is having a Weight Watchers at work meeting tomorrow...I'm going to go and see if that can work with all my restrictions. It might help me to have a weekly weigh-in to keep everything REAL, lol.

I LOVE Walk it Out! I still do it most days of the week, even sometimes after doing something else.

ETA: took out the link I had before to Facebook...it appears to have changed...here is a link to the page on Amazon.com...there is a video here which will allow you to see the trailer for the game with some actual game playing shots:

http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Out-Ninte...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Last edited by new2me2; 06-17-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Friday Night

Hi Coaches

Am at work today and we had Christmas in July and a meeting afterwards. I was not a picture of restraint and resistance. Peanuts, chips, alcohol! My weight was up again this morning and it all went out the window - not that I planned that well for the day. I am now stuck at work (6pm) because there is a large accident on the express-way home. Friday evenings are always bad (I live in a perfect weekend away area) and by choice I work at home on Fridays - knew it was a very bad idea on several counts to come in today. So I am using my time to check in.

The microwave is safely back home BTW and the dogs were pleased to have their morning food warmed again.

I have looked at some of the other Calorie Cycling programs and they look way to complicated. I am just planning on mixing it up a bit. Maybe today could be described as an example of feast? Not likely

I am now understanding why seconds are an issue - you serve food family style whereas we serve a meal on a plate and that is it. And in my case (no family) I cook only enough for that meal or for a frozen portion for later and it quickly goes in the freezer

Anne (AnneWonders) - I would say one pound lighter is a successful trip. Not long to recover before you turn around and do it all again

BeverlyJoy - Hope the TV issue resolves. One can eat mindfully in front of TV I think - and it is enough of a distraction for me that I can put my cutlery down and chew occasionally! Ouch for sluggish and light-headed

BillBlueEyes - We cross posted again - gee you get up early! Yours is a great example of planning for an event - I could learn from that. Glad you didn't have to read the fly leaf and make it up at the book club

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for having control of the food at bible class and for turning them all healthy and green. Great impact possibilities

Donna (new2me2) - I am glad you are feeling better today - a rough day with your stomach complaining. Hope things continue to improve

FutureFitChick - Nice to see you here - hope things go to plan and get back on track for you

Gardenerjoy - Terrific that your brother is less critical than you thought he might be - a relief. I like the diet in Complete Beck Diet Solution. The low carb / high protein appealed to me but you have the latitude to substitute other lower protein snacks if you need to or want a change and plan for it. It is well planned for those who speak American weights and measures!

Shepherdess - That is also one of my favourite response cards - "Dieting is supposed to get hard" - worthwhile to keep reminding myself that it is OK and I can manage hard

Credits -
Motivate myself daily
- Read A&R cards - No
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - on the few occasions I could
- Planned my day - Yes
- Made food plan - NO and it showed
- Food on-plan - See above
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - not while I was grabbing handfuls of peanuts!
- Put down fork occasionally - yes
- Weighed myself - Yes - up (sigh)- 217
- Drank water - yes
- Exercise - no - had to miss swimming for work
- Resistance techniques - not really - although it could have been worse

Working on -
Still working on credits and motivating things
Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 06-18-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:02 AM   #175  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - At a restaurant for lunch where I go every three months, I ordered my standard portobello mushroom stack, CREDIT moi. Boy was it good. I just don't tire of it. This time, I ignored the bread basket without a struggle. Hope that means I'm getting better at that and not just an aberration.

On my walk (CREDIT moi) I stopped by our community garden to check it out. Pulled a few weeds. It's doing OK. Walked past a small $30ish-entree restaurant to check out their menu; we've only been there once because we have really good choices at better prices. Walked past a bakery where the kitchen is visible from the street and watched a young lady crack a dozen eggs to put in a GIANT mixer. Checked out the Chinese restaurant that opened in the place where I used to get take-outs when the kids were little. Wondered why we've never been to an Italian place that's been there forever and looks pretty good.

Alas, in case you failed to notice, all my adventures were food-centric. When I reach my five year goal and enlightenment descends upon me, do you suppose I'll be able to walk and only see exercise, and birds, and dogs, and trees?

Anne (AnneWonders) - Making it through a business trip without snacking is a big deal - that's a tough one for me as snacks seem to emerge everywhere and I'm a bit out of sorts from being dislocated.

FutureFitChick - Yay for "Getting back on track." And Yay for a fresh batch of granola to start the morning.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Glad to hear that your brother is progressing well enough to go home. I haven't tried the diet in Beck second book - if you do try it maybe you can let us all know how it goes.

Shepherdess - Honking Kudos for doing weights when it was "dragging myself off the couch" time. That's a major victory. Thanks for "zucchini cake" rather than zucchini bread - I'll remember that next time I face the stuff.

Beverlyjoy - Seems sane to me that you have to find your balance of TV on/off while eating. I, myself, when eating alone, don't do so well concentrating on the food and nothing else - even though that's what Beck recommends.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Ouch for the "Christmas in July" celebration and the difficulty sticking to plan. But right back to plan it is - one event is not a derailment. Yay for a restored microwave - you've got some spoiled dogs who get their morning food warmed, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for having a list to remind you to take care of yourself also. Nothing like being responsible for the food to make sure that it's healthy.

Donna (new2me2) - Ouch for the gastro intrusion into your life with gratitude that it waited until you were home from your cruise to strike. You sound like you're well in charge of riding it out.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

Change Your Mindset About Parties, Celebrations, and Special Events

If you want to lose weight and maintain it for your lifetime, you need to develop a different attitude toward celebrating than you've had before. If you're like most people, you have an idea that is quite strong in your mind: I'm entitled to make exceptions for special circumstances. There are three difficulties associated with this notion:
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 216.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck coaches…buddies….friends….

Yesterday was a good calorie day (always grateful that that) - along with a number of Beck tasks. There are still many things to be working on.

I realize that I have been feeling very stressed about having this foot/ankle surgery. Thoughts of fear, pain, inconvenience keep running through my mind. I will see the surgeon for a consultation in about ten days. I really need for he and I to collaborate on all this not impacting my back as a goal too. I am usually a pretty fearless person - but, not about this for some reason.

I need to concentrate of the living healthfully with food. Not just eating the right amount of calories.

eat seated only - most of the time
fork down between bites - some of the time
leave a bite - all the time
no seconds - all the time
lots of water - yes
stretches and strengthening - yes
plan,log, measure, count calories - yes
taste the food - some of the time
slow, mindful eating - some of the time
Give myself credit - not very often (need to change this)
Arc/rc - read some of them
Beck book - no
Check here with coaches/buddies - yep

Lexxiss - credit for checking off your list. This is good, indeed.

Anne wonders - wonderful for you to see a weight loss. Yes, indeed - read over the Beck travel ideas before you leave. They are very helpful.

gardener joy - I am so glad to hear that your brother is out of the hospital. I don’t know a thing about Dr. Beck’s diet in the third book. I am curious about it, however. (I find calorie counting is something I seem to live with). I hope someone chimes in with the information.

Futurefitchick - I am glad to see your post and that you are wanting to get back on track. Sorry you hit a low point. I always say that we can never stop ‘trying again’ because one never knows when it will be the time it really stays with us.

New2me2 - sorry to hear of your gastro-flair up. (Passing up chocolate - wow, you must have really felt crummy. LOL . )I am glad you could keep your protein shake down. Sounds like you know what to do. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Seadwaters - we have Christmas in July here in the States, too. Usually, it has to do with super sales at the stores - not an actual celebration . Sorry all the goodies were so tempting. Just forgive yourself and hop back on your plan.

Billbe - so glad your restaurant meal was a healthy standby. It’s nice when you know it’s there for you. You said - do you suppose I'll be able to walk and only see exercise, and birds, and dogs, and trees? It’s an admirable goal!! (I often have similar thoughts) Credit on your walking exercise!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-18-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #177  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I've run out of time this AM (stayed up too late watching BBall) and we're off to the pool before helping my friend move. I really used my Beck tools yesterday to resist unplanned eating. It worked! Today is a wing it day because I didn't make time to plan (ouch) but I actually do pretty good under pressure-as long as it's non emotional.lol

Thanks for being here everyone!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #178  
Green Tomatoes

I'm taking an internet break for a few days. I'll be back Monday or Tuesday morning. Have a great weekend everyone! And, thanks for being here!

WI: -0.05kg, Exercise: +70 815/1600 minutes for June, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no
Old 06-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #179  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Well, I'm down in weight again today, so I guess all is well, lol. I'm now two-tenths away from having lost 10 pounds. I haven't even put my first charm on my bracelet yet, now I may have to put two on. Gosh, what a problem! LOL! My task this weekend is to choose which charm goes on first and put it on, then pick the second so it's ready to go!

My stomach is still not quite normal but I am able to eat so that's always a blessing! I didn't do so well on my non-planned day yesterday, lol. Nothing horrible, but did eat more calories than my Lose It! program says I should eat.

I managed to get in 45 minutes of WIO before I was just so hungry that I couldn't concentrate any more, lol. Still, being as hungry as I was, I stuck to my "planned" protein shake and did not have anything else. I was a little hungry when I went to bed, but it was tolerable.

Today, I may sit in on a Weight Watcher's at Work meeting. We aren't sure if there is enough people for them to actually do it, but I want to see what they have to say. I may actually sign up if it will help them hold the meetings here because I think it would help to be accountable to weigh in in front of the rep once a week, but I don't think I'll follow their plan. I'm going to show her what I normally can eat and see if that will work with the points system, but I'm thinking that between the allergies and the gastro restrictions it will be too complicated to follow. We'll see.

FutureFitChick Glad to hear you are getting back on track!

seadwaters (Cheryl) Ouch on the peanuts, chips and alcohol! Good use of your time though! I was just thinking that I really don't need to plan my food, and I also had a less than stellar day yesterday.

BillBlueEyes Something tells me it's because you are getting better at it that you passed up that bread!

Beverlyjoy Make sure you write out the question you want to ask your surgeon...that helped me a lot when the time came to have my consultation. It's very natural to be afraid of things like this!

Lexxiss Sounds like you had a great day!

gardenerjoy Internet breaks are very helpful ocassionally, lol! On my vacation I realized I'm not so interested in my online games anymore...that gives me more time to spend on more important things like checking in here!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Yay for posting 2 days in a row. I am a little fearful about Father's day and how we'll all fare without my dad. I also miss my good old dog (he died in April about 10 days after my dad) to comfort me. Somehow he always knew the minute I would start to cry to come to my side and comfort me. Our other dog doesn't do that. Add to that one of my kitties also died a month ago today and life feels almost too quiet at hom yet too noisy when I'm out and about.

My weight has been pretty stable all semester. I've kept up my exercise routine pretty well, which impresses me! Now I just need to get my head back in order to be able to focus on research and to think clearly about weight loss.

New2me2, sorry you had a rough day yesterday. Hope you are doing better today.

Seadwaters, hope you have a better weekend!

Billblueeyes, thanks for the reminder that I'm in this for life and that there will be easier moments and harder moments.

Beverleyjoy, sending you positive thoughts for your upcoming surgery.
Closed Thread