Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck folks - Yesterday was a healthy on plan day. I am always grateful for that! I stayed with my food plan. It’s such a helpful guide. I was willing do many of the Beck tasks. I need to keep working through the book more.

I’ve gone back to writing down my times for how long I take to eat meals and snacks. It’s a good reminder that I need now.

I also need to take the time to take notice of my credits. Also - the same for sabotaging thoughts and what and how I deal with them.I need to be doing more of the daily journalling of these things.

I finally did it. I made an appointment for later this month to talk to the foot/ankle orthopedic surgeon about my foot and ankle stuff. I know it's going to be a hard thing to get through. But, I think it's time. I can sit around and have little foot/ankle pain. But, I can't really live life. Even though the outcome is uncertain and it's a long hard recovery, I need to try.

fork down between bites - some of the time
slow mindful eating - some of the time.
taste the food - some of the time
no seconds - all the time
eat seated only - all the time
stretches and strengthening - did gentle stretches
leave a bite of food - all the time
plan/log/measure/count calories - all the time
lots of water - lots
Arc - no
Rc - yes
Beck book - yes

Ceejay - I am glad you are taking the time to do your weights, etc. It’s easy to put that off. I think that it is major that you can have times now of not living with an all or nothing relationship with eating. That is wonderful. I agree how much this site, Beck book and the support has impacted my life for the better.

Billbe - four mile walk…that’s awesome. It’s so nice when the day comes that you can pass by food sample or make them as an intended nibble when heading towards Whole Foods.

Seadwaters - glad to hear about a good day. Credit for thinking of tweaking your snack choices. That’s great. I hate it when the changing room at the pool is way cold, too.

Lexxiss - credit for your good day and two nibbles not causing you to go off your plan. Glad you can get some healthier snacks around for you and DH - that is so helpful. Safe travel home!

New2me - good planning for enjoying a piece of candy. I am so glad it didn’t cause you to eat off later in the day. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I am looking forward to getting back to my eating plan! I totally agree - there’s a lot of comfort in being in your own food zone, place, fewer temptations etc. That’s how I felt when I got back from my trip last week.

Shepardess - I’d like to ‘bottle’ those good day too. Just imagine if you could sell - you’d be a gazillionaire! Credit for getting through the branding potluck.

Anne wonders - sorry to hear of your continuing soreness. Looks like you are ready to begin Beck! Here comes day 1!

gardenerjoy - wonderful credit for getting those smaller pants! Hooray!!!! Yes...do get yourself some new clothes...you deserve it. I think it makes your weight loss even more real than what the scale says.

Shout out to anyone stopping by.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-09-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 283/171/153

Default Wednesday

Hi Everyone
Sorry so busy at the moment that just touching base to let you know I am still on plan with a bit of a struggle. Moving out to the kennels for a week today so will be busy running around keeping fit out there. Will have to watch my eating as I will be in another house and different routine. DH coming over on the weekend so he will keep me in line.
Tomorrows the fortnightly visit to the psychologist hope I get hypnotize this time as I have really been struggling along. May be he could make fat food taste awful then fruit and vegetables I could get cravings for.
Cheers
ThisTime7
Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #93  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Made it through yesterday. Ate on plan, and may I say I had a lot of talking back to do to my inner adolescent to get there. She is quite the whiner. Truth in disclosure--I did not read the intro chapters nor did I listen to them on my iPhone. I got wrapped up in some bluegrassy folk music and couldn't be bothered. I actually have mixed feelings about that, because I really needed to do something nice for myself to distract myself from eating. I seem to remember telling BBE that good enough is, so perhaps I'll take one myself. I am down a pound from yesterday.

Today is Day 1: Record the Advantages of Losing Weight. The plan is to listen to some of Beck on the iPhone on the way to work, and write out a new ARC from scratch. I think most of the reasons on the old card are still valid, but I have a couple more, and would like to freshen up the wording to get my attention.

BTW: I have written a food plan today, and plan to stick to it. I will likely be cranky again tomorrow, and then it'll be easier.

gardenerjoy Love the Missouri Botanical Garden. It has been years since I've been. Glad you got to go! Congrats on the 14s. Love vanity sizing myself. A lot of people will buy thrift store or eBay clothing for their journey down. I remember clothing being a reward, so I always got stuff I liked. It made me feel great. My favorite was a beautiful floral skirt I got when I hit size 18. It was pricey and I think I wore it a whole 4 times, but it was wonderful, and I felt like I was all that in it. I still think about it occasionally.

Shepherdess When you find a way to bottle the good days, I'll take a dozen! Sounds like a busy day, and you found a reasonably way through.

new2me2/Donna Love that you planned candy for lunch! We all need to do that sometimes. I think it helps when we can use that on ourselves as an option: "I can eat it tomorrow." More believable when you follow through. I have planned a cupcake for my evening snack/dessert to celebrate DS's birthday.

Lexxiss/Debbie Hooray for surviving Costco mostly unscathed. A dangerous place indeed!

seadwaters Looks like a good day. Hope you figure out your snacks. Personally, I think an unhealthy snack now and then is mandatory, see my cupcake plan above.

BillBE Four miles and on plan. Wheeee!

CeeJay Sounds like you are getting back on track. A hard thing to master and absolutely critical to long term success. Nicely done.

Anne
Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Greetings from somewhere off the coast of Canada!

Haven't done a thing today, lol! We've been chatting with the rest of our group all morning. I've still been eating sensibly I think...they have two sized plates here...supersize and salad...the salad is about the size of a normal dinner plate. The last few days I've just been using the "salad" plate. My portions are still small, but it looks less sparse on that than on the supersize, lol.

And, MUCH safer today without locally made candies, lol!!! They leave a chocolate on your pillow each night, so I have that to look forward to later! The travel agency we booked with has been giving us gifts every day...one day was Alaskan fudge. I haven't opened that, and don't intend to until I get home. I'm going to cut it into small pieces and freeze them, that way I can only eat one small piece at a time. OR, I may give it to my mother. She's on a diet too, but she is able to eat one piece and leave it at that. I need portion control.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Talking Time for personals

Hi Coaches

I need to spend more time with the Beck books and over the next few weeks should go from day 1 - will report tonight. I had an MRI Tuesday - I really wouldn't want to be any bigger to get into one of those! A great encouragement to lose more weight!

Anne (AnneWonders) - Just thinking about what you did makes me sore so I can imagine! Huge credit for that one. And credit for a renewed effort with Beck - you have inspired me to regroup and reread. Yes - shouldn't get too desensitised to scale movements because they can be a cause for celebration or a wake-up-call so thanks for that. Love the idea of a cupcake plan - I still need liberties to look forward to but all of them are becoming bad choices!

BeverlyJoy - Sorry about your back pain - hope it settles soon. I love your plan taking some "twists and turns" - mine does that often. Credit for not overeating to feel better and I hope you weigh in reflects your resistance. Yay for taking on your surgical issues and making that appointment - let's see where it goes.

BillBlueEyes - Yay for a 4 mile walk and passing by old habits. Most of the people in my aqua fit class have 20 or 30 years on me and they put me to shame. Inspiring. Some definitions please ETA? (not estimated time of arrival?), + NSV?

CeeJay - I am so glad you are finding balance - and I will use your formula when I travel next for work as it sounds successful. Yay for maintaining exercise while really busy - that is a tough one. And kudos for the reduction in all or nothing thinking - that is progress

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Well done to keep the snacking at Costco to 2 bites - that has to be good. Well done in slowly moving your DH's food in a healthier direction - soon the two of you can snack on the same things! Go Celtics (??) - oops just read further

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for jeans fitting after holiday eating. Well done for planning and resisting - big credits

Gardenerjoy - Size 14 jeans! Credit you! It must feel great. I haven't got any clothes now much to speak of, nor for the journey down until I hit about 30# lower - I refused to dress somebody else's body! It will be nice to get into them but maybe I need to buy something for now to improve my outlook! Great suggestions for books thanks and I will look into them for inspiration. I sort of know what I am supposed to snack on - it is comfort seeking I think and I need to move on from self indulgence. LOL prioritising your vices - good idea

Shepherdess - Good eating to survive at the branding pot-luck. I am having visions imagining what running a vaccination gun looks like. Your stories of life on the land are always evocative

ThisTime7 - Hope the visit to the kennels is on track but the exercise sounds promising. Hope that the visit to the psychologist is all that you need - and all that you want

--------
Cheryl
Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Hello, Beckies,

I think I had better check in lest you all forget me. Speed reading the posts since the first of the month is not cutting it. I "cherry picked", but you all have so much going on, and I learn so much from all of you, that I will have to go back and really read everything.

Not sure what to say for an update. Am still struggling with eating issues. Last weigh in at the doctor last week (bad case of PI and I am such a baby, I went for cortisone cream!) was 138. *sigh. I know where each of those irrationally exuberant fat cells is hanging out. I have my annual physical tomorrow, so that will be more *telling about health, etc.

I do need to report that at my favorite store (Goodwill in Rochester), I got my pair of size 2 pants. Size 2 longs from the Gap;pretty much a joke. No way am I a size 2. Vanity sizing is alive and well at the Gap, and at Goodwill!

Love the discussion of gardening as exercise. It pretty much has to be good enough in summer, because that is all I do. My "swimming" doesn't count; I just side stroke at a leisurely pace..not even close to exercise. Am dancing at least twice a month, mebbe more, and that is prolly as close to aerobic as I get.

Love the new name, Anne. I did read the posts carefully enough, at least for June to have to ask: I did not see that you gave a rationale...not that you have to, but you are kindred spirit enough for me to be really curious, and I am sure I would love your answer!

Best to all.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #97  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Gym was fun yesterday, CREDIT moi. After four+ years of going 3x per week there are finally a pair of guys who speak to me when I come in. (We male types don't just rush in with this talking to each other business, LOL.) These are guys who do serious lifting with the barbells and have upper bodies that would turn heads at the beach.

DW made an awesome black bean with avocado salad for dinner from a recipe from Nutrition Action Newsletter which we usually read for its info, but which has recently added a couple of recipes each issue. CREDIT moi for a healthy dinner, even though I might have had a largish portion since the stuff is pretty dense.

maryblu - Congrats on Gap jeans from Goodwill - you're definitely my kind of shopper. Good luck on your annual physical today. I searched Amazon for the two exercise-while-gardening books that Joy (gardenerjoy) mentioned. They're there - but not sure if a real gardener would take the time off to read them, LOL.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Yep, both "good enough is" and "Wheeee!" to an on-plan day motivated by bluegrass. I take it that SORE is history.

CeeJay - Yay for exercise "to find sanity/balance." Big success that you're consistent with your hotel stays so that they're not a threat.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on the new jeans. Smart strategy to keep motivational clothes ahead of your size.

Beverlyjoy - Kudos for on-plan and Kudos for gratitude. And big Congrats for moving forward with your orthopedic surgeon. Will start sending supportive thoughts as you head into that process.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for one more MRI behind you. ETA = Edited To Add. NSV = Non Scale Victory - a success like wearing smaller jeans.

Donna (new2me2) - Kudos for choosing the salad plate each time. I had my black bean salad last night on a real salad plate and it looked like a huge amount since it filled the plate.

ThisTime7 - Ouch for struggling with Kudos for moving along. Good luck with your week at the kennels.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies

If you did well but feel disgruntled because you couldn't eat everything you wanted, work on your sabotaging thoughts. Give yourself great credit for following through with your food plan and work on acceptance: Oh, well, I couldn't eat the way I used to eat. But I do really want to lose weight so it's good that I limited myself.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 215.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Thumbs up Thursday evening Checklist

Coaches

I am here to do my check-list. I spent a lot of time looking at what RDAs were for certain nutrients and added them to CalorieKing - let's see how I go achieving requirements for some and not going over for others (e.g. sodium). At the moment I am VERY slightly over for saturated fat and sugar (those pesky snacks) but not over for calories. Who knows with sodium because I do add salt to food - should try to estimate. So in the scheme of things, if overeating is priority one - it is good

Credits -
- Read A&R cards - Yes - and rewrote them
- Planned my day - yes
- Made food plan - yes - with some "twists and turns"
- Food on-plan - YES
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - yes
- Put down fork occasionally - Yes - usually when I had to fast forward through the recording!
- Weighed myself - Yes - back Up AGAIN (sigh) - 216.4
- Drank water - yes - lots
- Exercise - yes - exercises from physiologist - Credit moi!
- Resistance techniques - yes
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes

Working on -
Redoing Beck Day One

Have a great day Beckies
-------
Cheryl
Old 06-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 283/171/153

Hi All,
Now at kennels for a week and have walk around on dog patrol (doo picking up) on 2 acres a few times today, so I think I have done my exercise for the day.
Reported into Psychologist this afternoon for my fortnightly visit and talked to him about my struggle at the moment. He replied that’s good and I said WHAT he said that if it was just a quick fix then that would be easy. It was so good to be able to talk to him about my last fortnights struggle. He wasn’t ready to hypnotise me yet so I will just have to wait. Thought today would have been a good day but he said that I need to separate my commitment to the Beck from my emotional eating.

"He then got me to write a new"

RESPONSE CARD
EVEN THOUGH MY MOTIVATION IS LOW AT THIS POINT IN TIME
I KNOW WHOLE HEARTLY THAT MY VALUE IS TO LOSE WEIGHT SO I’M GOING TO COMMIT MYSELF TO GETTING BACK ON TRACK

I then had to keep reading it back until my voice had commitment to the card. So we had a good session and I feel like putting my best foot forward again.

BillBlueEyes Well done on being so dedicated to the gym. I need to take a leaf out of your book.
Maryblu Have received your PM and will get in touch. Well done for coming on here daily I have found it so motivating and there are so many people to support us.
Seadwaters Yes I think I need to go back to the start for this week. Hope the MRI was ok I dread going in there with my weight.
new2me2 Your trip sounds fantastic and you are being so good. It only took me 2 days at a conference last week to fall off the wagon. Well done for watching your meal sizes.
AnneWonders Well done for staying on plan. Kudos on the loss
Beverlyjoy I think I need to start the timer on the stove when I start to eat too. I have been eating to fast lately.
Gardenerjoy Well done on the size 14 jeans. I do that wear baggy clothes as I want to see how long I keep it off. I think this time I will throw out big clothes as I reduce in weight.
CeeJay Good on you for getting back on track after a meltdown. You are doing great with your forward planning when away.
Lexxiss Credit for a good day and picking up the healthier options.
Shepherdess I’m with you if you can bottle that good day. I think one of the things we need to do is keep busy and that what you are doing. Well done on eating correctly with the pot luck.

Hope I didn’t miss anyone
Cheers ThisTime7
Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #100  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

DH is home and we even made it all the way back to our summer home. Food is planned and OP. It seems natural at the moment so I anticipate a good day. I'm on the run this morning trying to get back into my routine.

have a great day everyone!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #101  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Well, I'm off to a flying start on my 40 day push. Not done with Day 1 yet. I got hung up thinking about the differences of the advantages of being thin(ner) vs the disadvantages of being fat(ter). They are in many respects different lists. Anyway, I thought about it a great deal, which is the point of the cards.

So Day 2 is to pick two reasonable diets. I'm going to formalize my plan a bit more, and work on some back up ideas tonight.

I weighed in and am down 4 lbs in two days. Yes, I know that this is the normal post-race draw down, but may I just say, YIPPEEEE!! And, I stuck to my plan yesterday, which included an outing to a coffee shop, where I skipped the latte and pastry for a nice herbal tea. Plan for today is written (beer night!) and breakfast is on track.

I will start thinking about exercise again tomorrow. I'm feeling ok now after the race.

new2me2 Using the salad plate is a great strategy! Have you read Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink? Plate size makes a difference.

seadwaters Hope you get happy results from your MRI. Good luck figuring out your macro- and micro-nutrient content. I made a conscious decision not to worry about that too much way back when and am fortunate to be able to do so. I find that if I'm eating healthy enough to stick to my food plan, i.e. lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean protein, everything else just sort of works out.

maryblu Sorry to hear you are struggling. Keep at it and it will pass. These things come and go over time, as you and I both know well. The username change was more driven by privacy/security issues than anything psychologically significant; the internet has changed since I started here, lo these many years ago. I tried to keep it close enough so I'd still be recognized though.

BillBE Hurray for gym friends! What is the next step on the guy friend scale? I'm guessing a sporting event of some sort. I had a massage that helped with the SORE. I'm feeling tired still, but otherwise pretty normal.

Thistime7 I like your Response Card. I have one like it. Good job on the exercise and talking about your issues with a professional.

Lexxiss/Debbie Welcome home. Good to be!

Anne
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 214/210/180

Height: 5'8"

I'm trying to get more committed, and make more posts so I can get a diet buddy. I have two questions..

1. Is there a chat room that is just open for anyone to chat anytime they want to ? I think just hanging out sometimes is what might help be an avoidance technique.

2.And can anyone start a thread ? I was on another site where we had a quick check in where you just listed 5 positive things. So each post was just a list of 5 lines, not a paragraph and not responses..just a list. I'd like to start one, something like this:

5 credits for today

1. Bought popcorn for grandsons to make instead of crackers (too "ready to eat")
2. Measured my 1 tablespoon of non-fat half and half
3. Looked up calories for couscous
4. Didn't go in grocery store when I bought morning paper
5. Walked the dog.

Should I just start one ?

ponee
Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

ponee - Yep, just start one. Neat idea.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Becksters! Another day of food staying on track, for the most part. I am always greatful for these days.

Today is a day at home doing things to get ready for company over the weekend. However, my stepmom has been sick - so I might need to go there for the weekend. I'll know more this afternoon.

My back is still sore...so whatever I do, I will do it gingerly. I wish my pieces and parts didn't give me so much trouble. Oh well.

I changed my evening snack when I realized I had many more calories. I wrote it down.

Yesterday

fork down between bites - some of the time
slow mindful eating - alot of the time (using the clock to slow down)
taste the food - alot of the time
no seconds - all the time
eat seated only - all the time
stretches and strengthening - did gentle stretches
leave a bite of food - all the time
plan/log/measure/count calories - all the time
lots of water - lots

Arc - no
Rc - no
Beck book - no

I will try to get back for personals, if I can. Have a great Beck day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-10-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #105  
Green Tomatoes

I need a few days of eating at home. Lunches out really slow me down!

WI: +0.7kg, Exercise: +40 485/1600 minutes for June, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Closed Thread