Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi...checking in real quickly. I am having a great visit with my friend,

Yesterday I managed to stay on plan despite 6 different containers of chinese food takeout food and peach cobbler pie. I got my favorite Hong Kong ginger steamed sea bass. (I also had on tiny bite of a few other dieshes and counted it in ) I read my rc/arc, ate seated only, left a bite, did my stretches, ate in my calorie range, wrote it all down. etc. I am grateful for the willingness to try with company here.

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-12-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

DH got home last night and I had nice, healthy celebratory dinner waiting for him. I didn’t get my run yesterday. We had pretty muddy roads out here and it’s more of the same for tonight and tomorrow. This time of year we usually count on warm, dry weather, but we’re having a wet, cold spring. So I guess I’d better plan some good rain day activities.

Gardenerjoy, kudos for getting to the point where that old, irresistible treat just doesn’t appeal the way the healthier version does. That’s when you know you’re laying a good foundation. Yuck for power going out for no apparent reason.

AnneWonders, ouch for starving in the afternoon, but sometimes I do think it’s worth listening to those hunger cues and eating something. It all depends on the situation, but better to catch that hunger when you can feed it with something healthy than to wait and wind up eating a bag of chips—I have some experience with that one. Great job planning for your DS’s birthday.

Beverlyjoy, glad to hear your back is improving and I hope that you get some help with “bending and twisting.” Great job using those resistance techniques and putting the candy back in the cupboard. It’s always harder to resist when you’ve already started. Great job dealing with all that tempting Chinese food and the cobbler!

Ponee, yay for a day of practicing all those good Beck skills. Ouch for the “Change Your Brain, Change your Body” causing stress eating. Great job moving on and trying to figure it all out.

New2me2, yay for a successful vacation and learning that you can stay on track on vacation. It’s great that it’s freeing rather than restricting. I’m not sure which book you are using, but in the Green book, Beck suggests making a memory box. You make cards for every memorable dieting event. Your vacation would be just one of those events. Then later, when you find your motivation waning, you read all those successful moments.

Tigerchild, so sorry about the on and off pain and the fear of the hospital. It sounds like you’re going through a lot right now, but great job reading those cards to keep you on track. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Seadwaters, kudos for your obedient inner glutton and great job recognizing you weren’t even enjoying that sausage roll and throwing the rest away. I’m never good at throwing out food. Yay for buying that track suit to keep your body happy.

BillBE, LOL at your battle with a green banana. I hope your war wound has fully healed. Yay for going to the store to get some bananas that you don’t have to fight.

Lexxiss, yay for "think Beck thoughts lots.” It does help in the decision making. I love your potluck strategy. I don’t know if you got that from Beck, but that is some smart Beck thinking.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Hello Beck Friends!

YAY!!! I am down 1 pound from yesterday! So, I'm just two-tenths away from having lost 8 pounds total. That's major for me! My official weigh-in is tomorrow though, but hopefully this weight will hold. I am going to go back to the last weigh-in chapter in the book because I feel like I didn't absorb much while on vacation, then proceed from that point. There was one good chapter in that week that I MUST revisit so I can do the exercise properly.

I haven't read the book yet or the cards, but will do so after I finish my errands for the day. I'm almost done...just one more, a massage, lol.

Credits for today so far: practicing hunger, dividing up and freezing some gluten/casein-free muffins and sweet rolls after tasting a little of each, and resisting the urge to eat before running my string of errands because I "might" get hungry...after groceries, hair, picking up mail I'm still not hungry, lol. Posting here is also a credit I guess. One more errand, a massage, then I'll settle in and do my reading. I'm undecided whether to do a little gentle Wii workout later...probably will.

Beverlyjoy: Wow, great job on staying on plan with all that stuff around and glad you are having a great visit with your friend.

Shepherdess: I'm using the Pink book at the moment, but also have the Green book that I plan to use when I finish the pink one. The memory box is a great idea...maybe I'll sneak a peak at that chapter in the green book to see how she sets it up.

AnneWonders: Kudos for planning, even if it isn't the healthiest choice! And, CONGRATULATIONS on being 5 pounds down!

Lexxiss: Good job in planning for that potluck! Kudos for Beck thoughts leading to good decisions!

BillBlueEyes: LOL on the banana story!!!

seadwaters (Cheryl): You aren't kidding when you say well done! Throwing away something because you weren't enjoying it is MAJOR credit!

tigerchild: I'm sorry you've been in so much pain! I hope it isn't appendicitis! Good job on sticking with it and for planning for alternative exercise!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Hail, Beckies! Well met. (does anyone know what that phrase means?) I will wait for our English sisters to weigh in, or do what we Americans do and Google it.

Don't hate me because I am a smart a**, hate me because I just got in 4 hours of non-stop gardening. *sigh. Great joy. The most fun I can have without laughing out loud. In the constant little drizzle, no sweat, my straw hat did its wonders. This after a full night of dancing last night. Such joy. Look for me in bed tonite at 8. ...mebbe 7. I *hate limits!!!! I know where the band is tonight..oh for the energy of youth!

Shepherdess, just so yanno..I have 9 flower gardens the size of the one I posted in the pic. I was thinkin' of y'all as I played so happily today.. will post some shots this summers as it unfolds. Not sure it is talent..feelin' right now as if it is all back labor. *sigh. I loved your wisdom about the horse being a better horse than you are a rider. Ain't that true? Saved me a million times!

Donna(new2me2)..omg!!

"The vacation was wonderful and I discovered that I can be on vacation and not overeat and still enjoy myself! Kind of freeing in a way. I ate everything I wanted that was safe for my "allergies" but just smaller amounts and made "trade-offs" if I wanted something special"

Oh, my goodness, what wisdom.

BillBE, I really think after reading the banana story, there is a niche for you in comedy. You could be the Roseanne Barr of dieting. No, Beckies, don't stone me. She was funny at first. Anyone who says if her husband wonders if there are any Cheetos and she tells him to lift up the cushions of the couch and look for himself has my vote for funny.

Live long and prosper.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Guess what I learned today

This from Shannon, one of my heroines on the Maintainers Forum:

"I have to keep the journal going or I lose track and start to slide back into bad habits."

What struck me particularly was not the fact that even a Maintainer, even someone who was successful at serious wt. loss and maintenance still logged every single bite and analyzed it, but the term, "slide into bad habits". BAD HABITS...

We all have issues around why we eat/ate to feel *so full, but so much of what I see us learning as we apply the Beck program is really just about BAD HABITS...I see evidence in our posts every day that we are getting onto the nature of BAD HABITS. Even if we never uncover the *why we have needed to feel so *full...it is obvious to me that we are realizing a lot of our downfall is just BAD HABITS.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #126  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryblu View Post
Hail, Beckies! Well met. (does anyone know what that phrase means?) I will wait for our English sisters to weigh in.
I'll weigh in. (In fact, it's early morning here & I have just weighed in! It's looking good but not as good as in March.)

I translate: Hello, Beckies! I'm pleased [and possibly slightly relieved] to see you.

Good point about Bad Habits, maryblu.

My plan is to take a lot of heavy rubbish (chipboard, old windows) to the tip and to plan & shop for the week's meals. Possibly pick strawberries at a local farm but it could be rainy.

Hope you all have a good day, far away from Bad Habits. Nasty things that they are.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Diet Coaches

The day started well with reading Beck - I at last finished the Introduction to Beck Diet for Life and "finished" the 10 Tasks that are needed before the stages. Similar to the Pink book but framed a little differently which was useful. I redid some A&R cards and put them into my iPhone. I need to give ongoing thought to my sabotaging thinking - I don't think I am too good at identifying them - it is usually all over before I realise that I need to notice my thoughts and in retrospect they have gone! I have basically been having a Beck day with organising plans, food, diets etc. My weight is down to 215.4 - another .4# before a dancing broccoli

Anne (AnneWonders) - Great weight loss - Credit. I like your festivities food plan! Sounds like you are progressing through the book as planned

BeverlyJoy - Great results and resistance in the face of amazing temptations - good list of credits for the day. Glad your back is getting a bit better

BillBlueEyes - I think you really wanted that banana - and risked great personal harm to have it. I can relate to that.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope things are well with DH back home and routine changed. You sound organised for the pot-lucks. Yay for thinking Beck thoughts - nice that it could become an automatic way of being

Donna (new2me2) - Great for 1 more pound down and a major result especially with a vacation in there - you did so well. Sounds like you have your day organised and your credits lined up

Gardenerjoy - Life is very strange without electricity and technology so I sympathise. My microwave died today and having to rethink some of the basics (like reheating dog food) is challenging.

Maryblu - Thanks for the thoughts about bad habits - it is enlightening to see more evidence of how successful maintainers do it - I know I do so much better when I log and track. Hope you get the rest you need to spark again

Ponee - Glad you had a good on plan day full of credits. Ouch that the Ament special caused an upset but credit at your identification of sabotaging thoughts - great

Shepherdess - Ouch for the weather - it is a bit screwy all over the place. Unusually cold here. Luck with planning some rain activities (that don't involve food!). Sounds like a well planned celebratory dinner - I need a few of those in my repertoire

SilverBirch - Waving

Tigerchild - I am sorry you are having pain and the stress of not knowing what it is or what it could mean - always the scariest part. Glad you could ask for what you need

Credits -
- Read A&R cards - Twice
- Planned my day - Yes
- Made food plan - Yes
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - usually - 90%
- Put down fork occasionally - yes - 80%
- Weighed myself - Yes - DOWN - 215.4
- Drank water - yes
- Exercise - I plan on doing my EP exercises later
- Resistance techniques - Yes - definitely to stay away from snacks today
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes

Working on -
Sabotaging thoughts and logging any. Most recent one - it is only a small amount of food - it can't make a difference. Fairly prosaic but lethal

Have a great day Beckies

-------
Cheryl
Old 06-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Rode bikes - CREDIT moi - with DW to check on some Tree Swallow boxes - it appeared to be fledging week for most of them. Saw a lot of babies screaming to be fed and a few bunches of small birds flying behind parents.

Ate my peanut butter sandwich with roasted pecans but without banana yesterday - just because I remembered that I also like it that way. Yummy. Without the banana, it sticks to the roof of my mouth and only milk can wash it down. Invokes waves of happy childhood memories. CREDIT moi for savoring simple food.

maryblu - Gardening and dancing, gardening after dancing, gardening before dancing - sounds like you've found your heaven already. LOL at checking the couch for Cheetos. "Roseanne Barr?" Good grief - talk about foot in mouth disease, LOL. Thanks for the reminder that "BAD HABITS" are the enemy.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Happy Birthday DS with Congrats to the parents who've made it through one more year. And Congrats for serving "pizza, cupcakes, and chips" to make happy the soul of a young man despite his parents view of its nutrition.

Shepherdess - Ouch for trying to run in a "wet, cold spring."

Beverlyjoy - Kudos for "Hong Kong ginger steamed sea bass" despite the full array of containers to choose from.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Kudos for identifying the sabotaging thought, "it is only a small amount of food - it can't make a difference" - so well categorized as "Fairly prosaic but lethal." Those little bits are what are creeping into my life that I now need to become aware of.

silverbirch - Hope you pick a car full of strawberries. Our local ones are here now - yummy beyond memories.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Smart to give yourself half credit for handling the stress - it's a learned skill, and you're making progress. Kudos for knowing in advance that you'll do well at potlucks.

Donna (new2me2) - Well one thing you didn't absorb on vacation was too much food, for which another Kudos wouldn't seem too many.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies

The following strategies can help you to stay in control while eating out. As you read them, watch out for sabotaging thoughts, such as, I couldn't do that. The dieters I've counseled and I routinely do these things - and we feel glad that we do.

Tell the waiter how you'd like your food prepared. Don't hesitate to ask for substitutions or other special arrangements. Many diners routinely make such requests, and waiters are accustomed to accommodating them. The worst thing that could happen is that they can't do what you've requested, but in my experience that doesn't occur very often. Watch out for sabotaging thoughts such as, I'm creating too much trouble for them. Read "What Are You Thinking?" on page 218 to prepare for these thoughts ahead of time.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 215.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

The rain just kept coming yesterday. I had been checking the weather reports and they predicted scattered showers and thunderstorms, but what we actually got was a constant, soaking rain. I had planned to do my grocery shopping yesterday, but the roads just turn to gumbo when it rains like that, so we decided to stay home. I did manage to scrounge together healthy meals with what I had—a little odd, but everything healthy. I do hope we can make it out today because we’re just about down to ramen and canned peas.

DH and I spent the day sitting around the house reading. It’s funny how a day of doing nothing makes me both antsy and lazy all at the same time. By mid-afternoon I wanted to do something, but didn’t want to get off the couch. I did do some yoga, so credit for moving.

New2me2, yay for a lb down. It always takes me a few days after getting back from a trip for my weight to come down to something normal (and you can retain water weight, even if you hadn’t had anything to drink recently). Great job getting back into the swing of things so quickly.

Maryblu, yay for dancing all night and gardening all day! It all sounds like such great exercise. Thanks for the quote from the Maintainers Forum. It’s interesting when you call them bad habits. It’s exactly what they are, and when you put it that way it sounds so do-able.

SilverBirch, thanks for the English lesson, LOL. I love the sound of picking strawberries. I’m looking out the window at my little strawberry plants and they are looking sad, soggy and cold.

Seadwaters, great job on a good Beck day. I haven’t quite gotten the hang of talking back to those sabotaging thoughts—not consistently anyways. You’re right that the “it’s only a little bit” thought is “prosaic but lethal.” Those prosaic ones may be the most dangerous because they slip in without us noticing.

BillBE, yay for feeling like a kid eating a peanut butter sandwich. Did you skip the banana because of your recent battle with one? Those Tree Swallows sound like a great excuse to get out for a bike ride. I love those screaming babies.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #130  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm kind of frustrated with my weight loss at the moment. I've been hovering around 202 for a couple of weeks after a couple of months of pretty steady loss. And, that, after a couple of months of being stalled.

I got a good loss this morning after a couple of days of not weighing in, but I ate much less than my plan yesterday.

I'm starting to think that my body wants to try a new diet every 15 - 20 pounds. My brain is okay with that, so I requested South Beach, The Sonoma Diet, and The Complete Beck Diet for Life from the library.

WI: -0.8kg, Exercise: +0 555/1600 minutes for June, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

maryblu: yes about the bad habits! There are moments when I would like to learn the whys of the thing, but I'm pleased to know that if I never get to the bottom of it, I can still lose the weight by addressing the habits!

seadwaters: hope you're coping with the lack of a microwave -- that would be a pain remembering how we did that before there were microwaves!

Shepherdess: good job with finding a willingness to move on a rainy day.

Hi to everyone else. Off to a family meeting with pot luck today. I'm going to focus on salad!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 214/210/180

Height: 5'8"

Checking in. I've maintained the 5 pound loss ( bought myself a Fiesta coffee cup !), and am getting some good Beck habits really grooved in. I am inching along in the Beck books, and in general taking it slow but seriously. Having this forum to check in on it a great benefit.

Thanks to all...ponee
Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Beckies! "Funny" story. I was so excited to post here this morning I FORGOT I hadn't eaten breakfast yet! That, after I went to bed hungry, refusing to eat anything else yesterday and doing my morning reading this morning. Who would have thunk it a couple of months ago, lol! I did get up once I remembered (I think it was my stomach growling, lol) and make my morning protein shake before posting, but it was just so unusual for me to FORGET "eating"! That just never happens to me!

My official weigh in was this morning and I'm down 2 pounds since my last weigh in just before my vacation. I'm down almost a pound from yesterday too. I've lost 8.4 pounds since starting Beck. I've also lost some inches...should lose more once I really get into my exercise again.

maryblu: Wow, marathon gardening/dancing, good job! I find I have to keep the journal going as well. I always do better if I do. Bad habits have a way of sneaking back in if I'm not careful and it doesn't seem to matter how long I've been without them. I'm learning I have to be diligent all the time. Oh well, lol.

silverbirch: Hope you have a clear day for your berry picking!

seadwaters (Cheryl): I have a few of my A&R cards on my iPhone...thanks for reminding me I need to put more on! I will have the dancing broccoli waiting for you!

BillBlueEyes: Ummm, love peanut butter sandwiches! I have found some decent gluten-free bread so I can ocassionally have one...must try with toasted pecans!

Shepherdess: Gosh, hope you get out to do grocery shopping...the ramen and peas doesn't sound too appetizing to me, lol.

gardenerjoy: Hum, interesting about maybe needing to change the diet up. That happens with exercise...your body gets used to a certain type of exercise, so sometimes it's helpful to change things up a bit...maybe a little change in the diet plan might work the same.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #133  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I did OK at the food-fest yesterday. Had a couple of slips, but steered into the skid and emerged. For Day 4: Give Myself Credit, I made myself a credit cup. I put these "Well Done" coins in every time I do something hard. I had about 10 yesterday. I plan to convert them into money and buy myself something.

Read Day 5, which has something to do with slowing down and enjoying your food. My retention skills are amazing these days. I need to read my RCs, but need to find them first.

Oh, DH made me run today. It was awful--still not recovered from my race and I've got a knee thing going on, but it was good to get out there. He's a good guy, as much as I whine about him. Usually.

I will start personals, with the understanding I may have to leave it in the middle, and I'm just going in order.

Beverlyjoy Just wow on the Chinese food. Glad you are having a good visit with your friend.

Shepherdess Glad your DH is home and hope you both enjoyed that healthy dinner. Hope you find some rainy day activities. Hope it lets up soon.

new2me2 Yay for the next pound. May it have many many lost friends as well. And it looks like another couple. Cool! Don't forget breakfast. Breakfast rocks. Now if you find a way to forget afternoon snack, let me know.

maryblu Hail! Gardening and dancing. I like it. Thanks for the bad habits reminder. I have never managed to kill them, but I can keep them banished if I remember to work the good habits. It is like the dark side. Quicker, easier, more seductive. Once you start down its dark path, forever will it consume your destiny. Ok, nerd mode off now.

silverbirch Hope your strawberries are most excellent.

seadwaters I think identifying sabotaging thoughts is so key. We don't even know we are doing it until we stop and think. I once caught myself in this fine self talk, "But if I don't have those chips now, I will die." REALLY?? If we wouldn't say it out loud to another human being, we really ought to think about it.

And now I have channeled Ben Kenobi, Bill & Ted, and Dora the Explorer.

BillBE Bikes and peanut butter. That's a great day in my opinion. DS had a most excellent birthday, and it is good to be able to do something fun with him.

gardenerjoy Sorry about your plateau. They stink and they happen. Switching things around always seems to help, and I never know if it is shaking up the body, or shaking up the head to pay attention to details again. I suppose it doesn't really matter.

ponee Glad you got your reward! Sounds great.

I'm going to be scarce M-W of this week for some business travel. I'm taking my book with me, and will try to check in, but it will probably be short. Have a good week!

Anne
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi...I am not on my own computer. The anti-virus isn't working on mine and I can't figure it out.

I am doing fine with my food (calorie range is good) - this is with going out for dinner again. Credit I am grateful. I've written it all down, counted my calories, eat seated, no seconds. I didn't have a chance to read my arc/rc.

I hope to get my laptop fixed and be back soon.

I read all the posts - keep moving forward, everyone. Thanks for your support, wisdom and friendship. (Gosh - that sounds like a fairwell speach! - but, it isn't)

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-13-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi everyone:

I am still here but have not been able to post much these days. I am reading everything you write and thank every one of you for the daily inspiration.

I was badly off track lately and only doing half of what I wanted to do. I regroup for a bit and then fall off again. Work in progress... I am really trying not to be discouraged and to just do the best I can. I can say that with the amount of stress I am swimming in, any other time in my life I would have completely thrown in the towel and used it as an excuse to stress-eat. This time I have done some of that but mostly I am not. It has never been clearer to me that my eating is all about reacting to stress and negative emotions. I needed to learn that in my heart, although I have acknowledged it in my head for a long time. So it is all a process of getting more and more off of this terribly destructive path.

Today giving myself credit for:

-weighing in
-riding exercise bike 30 mins
-doing weights
-eating on plan
-reading response and advantage cards
-planning this weeks food and packing lunch for tomorrow
-posting here!!

Take care everyone!
Closed Thread