Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck coaches and buddies - Yesterday was a good healthful food day. I am always grateful for that - never ever take it for granted.

I do however need to concentrate on certain aspects of my living with food program. Last weekend I hardly paid attention to those tasks. I am letting them slide a bit. The hardest one for me is turning the tv off when I eat. This is such a big part of my meals. Hmmm...I'll keep working on it. One would think it would not be so hard - but, I am used to it that way. Of course, then I am less likely to be thinking about the food. DH will not turn the tv off when he eats. He is truly supportive in my weight loss - but, not this.

So this week I am going to concentrate a lot on no tv (unless I have a meal with DH), slow/mindful eating, tasting the food, and feeling fullness. I’ve decided to read my response card I made from the site Shepardess gave us on slow, mindful eating. My friend, who told me about Beck, says that when she finds herself eating really fast again - she uses her wristwatch to wait 30 seconds between bites to remind herself to slow down. I am aiming to do this too for a few days.

Yesterday:

tv off - no
fork down between bites - some of the time
TASTE the food - some of the time
slow mindful eating - a lot of the time
eat seated only, no seconds - all of the time
feel fullness - none of the time
leave a bite on the plate - all of the time
plan, log, measure, count calories - all of the time
Beck book - no
Arc/rc - no
Exercise/ spon. Exerecise - no
Weighed self - yes

Billbe - great job on reasonable amount of leftover sliders! When you are done with the butler, please send him to my house. ISNIR - it’s my way of remembering resistance techniques. (I - identify as craving/hunger - not an emergency, S - stand firm - strengthens reserve and resistance muscle, N - no choice - the hardest part is the anxiety I feel - don’t think I can stand it, but I can, I - imagine how bad I’ll fee after, R - remember why.) I write all this down with elaboration in my daily journal. So I can remember this ISNIR as a memory cue. If ISNIR doesn’t work I go to the five D’s - distraction, deep breath, drink water, distance, destroy. Of course, I have to be willing to use these.

Seadwaters - good reminder to motivate self every day. I use ‘smiley’ on a healthy day. When I get have reached a five pound mini goal - I will buy myself a non food something - lotion, lipstick, writing paper etc. Tokens…hmm good idea. Great goal for a new microwave.

Woodland - good job on getting to the gym despite the muddy roads.

Lexxiss - credit on staying on track with you food despite a lot of stress coming your way. I am so glad you could have assistance helping your DH.

Maryblu - I also love all the wonderful fruits and veggies this time of year at the farmer’s market. DARN those rabbits.

Ceejay - so glad you’ve been able to get back on plan. It feel good when you get your mojo back, I know. Yes, you can get through the hotel stay. You’ve done it before - plan, plan, and plan some more.

gardener joy - so glad that you are on your plan. Carry on!

Shepardess - yes, sounds so muddy. Credit for even getting out with the dogs. It is hard to resist trail mix (combo of sweet and salty calls to me). But, that is over and in the past. Hop back onto your plan…you will be fine.

Have a great day folks!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-15-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #152  

Height: 5'7"

As I recall, bad rabbits are tasty. Anybody got a nutritional breakdown on free-range rabbit?

Hello from the road. I'm doing OK.

Anne
Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I’m saying a big, “Oh Well” to yesterday. I spent yesterday preparing (and stressing) over a presentation I have to give this AM. My Women in Ag group is putting on a diversification tour today. We’ll tour some different ranches and look at ways women have diversified their operations to bring in extra income. I get to kick off the tour with a presentation on my wool operation. I’m just nervous because we are partnering with the Wyoming Business Council to put this on and press releases have gone out across the state. I have no idea how many people are going to be there. So I did some stress eating while worrying about all of this.

The good news is that the sun finally came out yesterday PM. It was still too muddy to do much outside, but I did do my weights. I just got back from an AM run. It was pretty muddy, but it’s a much better way to deal with runaway nerves than eating.

I need to do a bit more prep this AM, but I will be back for personals later.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #154  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Taking maryblu's advice and just doing it!

WI: -0.4kg, Exercise: +50 685/1600 minutes for June, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

CeeJay: yay for on-plan days and double yay for confidence going into the situation of staying in a hotel

maryblu: I lost baby pepper plants to a rabbit once. This year, I didn't put the pepper plants out until they were about a foot tall -- that seemed to discourage the rabbits!

Lexxiss: good job on all the creativity with DH and the meals

Woodland: Great to see you in the chat thread! I'm glad your roads are clearing up, dealing with floods is such a helpless feeling. We haven't had much of that so far in our area this year, knock on wood. I've lived through two "100-year floods" and I'm considerably less than 200 years old!

seadwaters: Sometimes, it feels like just finding the right "trick" is the key to success. Would any of the challenge threads on 3FC help with your competitiveness? A lot of them are about racing to lose weight which is not that helpful with the Beck way of doing things, but others are a bit more clever.

Beverlyjoy: good job thinking through your issues

AnneWonders: glad you checked in!

Shepherdess: Hope your presentation goes well. That sounds like a fascinating day! It reminded me of my grandmothers' chicken and egg businesses. According to my dad, sometimes, that was what supported the family! Great job recognizing that exercise turns out to be a better defense against stress than overeating.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 06-15-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Hello Beck Friends! Finally getting back into the swing of things after the long vacation. I didn’t realize how much daily life stuff there was to catch up on.

I finally did some exercise yesterday. I did a little on Sunday with the Wii Walk It Out (about 45 minutes), then last night did a 30 minute Leslie Sansone DVD segment at a 5 mph pace, followed by a short lower body weight workout with a barbell.

Gosh, didn’t realize how long it’s been since I posted last so some of these personals will be a little old. Sheesh!

AnneWonders: I read about your credit cup right after you posted it, but was waiting to do personals for a little later…sheesh, the little later turned into a day and a half, lol. It’s a GREAT idea. I like it better than my idea of paying myself, so I think I’ll try to adopt it!

CeeJay: Doing the best you can is better than doing nothing at all! That’s all we can ask of ourselves! The fact that you have NOT stress eaten ALL of the time is an improvement! You get huge credit for that!

seadwaters (Cheryl): Sorry to hear your knee has been acting up.

Beverlyjoy: Glad you had such a great weekend with your friend! Way to go in finding a no sugar treat to have!

Shepherdess: Yeah, forgetting to eat was a first for ME, lol. Not something I usually do!

maryblu: Silly death wish wabbit! I may have to cut back a bit on the personals as well, at least until I get caught up from the vacation backup of regular life. I’m also a bit late on the Broasted Chicken, but yeah, it sounds tasty, lol. Egads!

Lexxiss: Wow, glad things have calmed down for your DH.

BillBlueEyes: I’ll be waiting for that Butler and Cook if you ever tire of them. LOL! Gosh surviving grilled hamburgers! Amazing! Great plan to share with DW!

Last edited by new2me2; 06-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the welcome, gardenerjoy! I enjoy this forum and it helps keep me Beck motivated. Everyone is so encouraging and nice.

I did well with my Beck checklist items today. I recently discovered Walden Farms products and am enjoying adding a few of their selections to my diet plan. I had a serving of healthy cereal with WF chocolate syrup on it today and it was wonderful.

Our roads are slowly drying out, so tomorrow's trip to town/the gym should not be as difficult as Monday's was. I've decided that it is good to have challenges because then the smooth flowing days seem so much more special !

I hope everyone had a great day.

Woodland
Old 06-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hello Coaches

A good day today - on plan and my pool day which is always good. I missed it on Monday as public holiday and I will miss it on Friday as have to go to meeting at work (my one day per week will be Friday). When I realised I would also miss Monday I moved my appointment for my one year follow up scans - I think the pool has become a habit. It will be a shame to go back to work really.

I bit the bullet and went and got a walking stick today. Having a lot of trouble in the morning or during the night when I get up. I will have to strive to look debonair with my funky haircut and my cane.

The microwave went to hospital today and I will get it back tomorrow at a very reasonable price - life and popcorn will return to normal.

I always start out intending not to write much and this is what happens - at least I have the time at the moment!

Anne (AnneWonders) - free range wabbits are very low in fat - glad to hear from you on the road. Yay for OK

BeverlyJoy - I do not want to eat without the TV - decided to give that one up. Eating for me is a social phenomenon - when you live by yourself it is weird to sit there staring at the wall! The problem is when I don't want TV without eating! A very bad association. So last night I did some mending which worked. Your remedy sounds good and I might try it when I am more fully evolved

BillBlueEyes - Yay for good weather and the opportunity to eat on plan food outside. Sounds good. Credit for rational portion sizes.

CeeJay - Waving - hope all is well

Donna (new2me2) - Yay for getting back into routine and on top of things. Exercise sounds good

Gardenerjoy - Credit for an OP day with weight loss and many credits. Thanks for the ideas - not so much that i am competitive with others but I like to see my improvements against my own benchmarks. I have noticed that on the bike in the gym every week the RPM gets a bit higher along with the distance travelled - that is really encouraging. Smileys on the fridge door might work?

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Hope things are staying calm and on plan

Maryblu - Yep - we just have to DO IT

Shepherdess - Yay for the sun, ouch for a big Oh well. I hope the presentation is over and that your runaway nerves are now corralled

Woodland - Welcome - great to see you here. Yay for doing well with Beck check-list items. Glad things are less soggy and you are not home-bound

Credits -
Motivate myself daily
- Read A&R cards - Twice
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes
- Planned my day - Yes
- Made food plan - Yes
- Food on-plan - Yes - yesterday under calories
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - seated every time; mindfully about 60%
- Put down fork occasionally - I did
- Weighed myself - Yes - down - 215.8
- Drank water - more than usual
- Exercise -
- Resistance techniques - Often - hunger is not an emergency.

Working on -
Ways to maintain motivation and to give credits in a quantifiable way

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 06-16-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #158  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Such nice weather for my after-work walk; CREDIT moi. I love seeing the little kids in the sprinkler at the park - such unbridled shrieks of joy. Eating was OP still working the leftovers from the weekend; CREDIT moi.

I now have a secret way to lose two pounds quickly without painful dieting or exhausting exercise . . . big suspense . . . tabloid quality advice coming . . . move the scale back to the level spot on the floor, LOL. Yay for an old house that only has a few level spots here and there.

maryblu - Yay for posting to stay on track for the JUST DO IT! lady.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Waving down the road toward the road warrior. I was an adult before I knew that rarebit contained no rabbit - free-range or no.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for "just doing it" - sometimes that's what's available.

Shepherdess - Hope your presentation went well - and maybe some wool sales on the side. Do you have to feed the whole passel of folks who show up?

Beverlyjoy - Thanks for explaining ISNIR - that's neat, think I'll steal that one.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Yay for "Magnetron" - that sounds like a heavy and solid machine, LOL. Good luck making your choice to fix or replace. Yep, a slider is just a mini hamburger - in fact it's about the right size for a hamburger, IMHO. The McDonalds around here are now pushing their one-third pounders - with no end in sight.

Now that's a healthy perspective - looking "debonair with my funky haircut and my cane." A cane with a silver head always turns my head.

Donna (new2me2) - Sounds like a goodly bunch of exercise for the day.

Woodland - What a great perspective - the challenges help us to appreciate the smooth flowing days. Kudos for your persistence in wanting to get to the gym.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30
Stay in Control When Eating Out

Dining-Out Strategies

. . .
Practice what you know. Eat slowly and notice every bite, even if you're distracted by your companions and the environment.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 216.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #159  

Height: 5'7"

Well, I suppose it could have been worse.

I ran this morning. Heading home tonight. Will be good to see the kids.

Anne
Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #160  
Green Tomatoes

My brother went to the hospital yesterday with cellulitis. He's had it in the past, but it's been several years so we had thought maybe he was done with it. Depending on what bug caused it (we're hoping for something other than antibiotic-resistant staph), he'll be in the hospital a few days to a week or more and then home on near bed rest for another week or two.

It's turning out to be quite convenient that he has a girlfriend since that means I'm not the only person who can act as family and help take care of things in a crisis. She took him to the emergency room yesterday. Later in the day, I handled fetching the few things he needed from his house once they decided to admit him.

Missed my exercise but I did okay on food, even though there was a moment when I was tempted by the monstrosity of an ice cream concoction pictured on the door at the dairy, with the sabotaging thoughts that I was under stress and needed the comfort and that I might not be able to get my second snack of the day. I actually listened to the second thought, a bit, but instead of having the monstrosity, I doubled up my normal snack at the dairy which was, after all, the most I could rationally justify with that sabotaging thought. And I skipped both of my other snacks to "pay" for it, so things worked out in the end. Today, I hope to keep things closer to plan.

WI: -0.1kg, Exercise: +0 685/1600 minutes for June, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

new2me2: way to go getting back into your exercise routine.

Woodland: good job working with your Beck checklist.

BillBlueEyes: LOL at the results of leveling the scale!

AnneWonders: safe travels!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Morning Becksters! It happened AGAIN!

I forgot to eat! LOL This time it was only a piece of chocolate that I had planned to eat on the way home. I did remember while I was still in the building, but decided not to go back. Going back would have been good spontaneous exercise I guess, but decided against it.

I also forgot a couple of other things yesterday...nothing exciting, but I wasn't hungry anyway so it worked out. Unfortunately one of those things was my veggies, but, oh well.

Eating was on plan, and on plan so far today. Exercise was a 56 minute session on Wii Walk It Out. Today I'm planning to do one of my exercise DVDs. I have one in mind, but that often changes by the time I get home, lol, but I WILL do something. Today's reading was about keeping up with exercise.

Woodland: I'm late, but welcome from me too (sorry I'm late, but I actually thought I already had done so, lol...too long a vacation I guess)!
Great philosophy on the challenging days...if we didn't have the challenges we wouldn't appreciate the good days as much!

seadwaters (Cheryl): I say decorate your cane and strut your stuff! So happy your microwave can be repaired for a reasonable price! I use mine daily and would be lost without it.

BillBlueEyes: (Shhhhh--I still run through sprinklers at 54! I AM careful not to tread on people's lawns, but if the the water reaches the sidewalk or path, I'll run, walk or even skip through it!) LOL on the level scale!!!!

gardenerjoy: Gosh, so sorry to hear of your brother's cellulitis, hope it is not the more serious one you mentioned! Good job on managing that stress eating!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

I gave my presentation to a packed house and it went well. I had some requests for a presentation for the USDA, so apparently somebody thinks I know what I’m talking about, LOL. The tour was a lot of fun and we were blessed with beautiful weather. I left with an interesting gift bag—Alpaca poop for garden fertilizer. I wish I could say the same for my food plan yesterday. We had lunch from a family that does Chuck Wagon competitions. Like most WY Ag events, there was not much for a vegetarian so I stuck with a salad. I had expected this and had a plan to get something healthy after the tour, but it was running really late. When I finally left it was dinner time. It didn’t seem worth it to stop for something to eat, but I wound up eating way too much for dinner. I just need to rethink these kinds of events.

Gardenerjoy, I always love Maryblu’s “just do it.” Hope a new diet is useful. Sometimes switching up the diet is just helpful because it gives the motivation a kick in the pants. Kudos for avoiding the ice cream monstrosity while under stress. I hope your brother is doing better.

CeeJay, it’s great that you are beginning to feel confident about staying in hotels. You have proven that you can handle them well. I love the line, “No big deal- make a plan and stick to it. It actually is a big deal.”

Maryblu, I feel your pain about the BAD WABBIT! I used to battle them—I resorted to more violent measures than just liquid fence. I’ve had two years of a cease-fire since they were wiped out with a plague, but they’ll be back. In the meantime I have BAD TURKIES, LOL.

Lexxiss, hugs while you deal with emotional ups and downs. Kudos for doing so well with food through it all. Hope things are beginning to settle.

Woodland, I’ll join Maryblu in welcoming another country girl! Ouch for sharing the same rain, but I hope we’re now sharing the same sunshine. Finally, it’s feeling like June. I love your great attitude towards those challenges.

Seadwaters, congrats for making improvements at the gym and for making swimming a habit! I love keeping a running log so I can tally miles and I can look back and see times improving. Hope your micro is back from the hospital soon.

BillBE, LOL at your quick weight loss. Yay for leftovers that keep you fed with yummy lunches and yay for great weather to enjoy post-workout tea on the porch and a nice walk through the neighborhood. It’s great that you get some extra entertainment on your walk.

Beverlyjoy, it’s so cool that you never take a healthy day for granted. It’s so easy to do! Thanks for ISNIR. It’s a great strategy.

AnneWonders, waving back. Great job for doing well on the road and even getting a run in.

3 oz of wild rabbit: 150 Cal, 3 grams of fat, 28 grams of protein.

New2me2, yep, catching up is always tough. Great job getting back into the swing of things and for getting back to your exercise routine. LOL at forgetting to eat chocolate. I don’t think I’d ever forget chocolate!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #163  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches/buddies - yesterday was mostly healthy - but, I gave into temptation in the evening.

My friend came over for lunch and brought warm zucinni bread. I made up the excuse that I am watching my sugar- that I would have a taste later - using that excuse to not eat it. I actually got through our lunch with that warm bread right next to my plate. I should have thrown it in trash when she left. (as you all know, I have pitched pizza, a whole chocolate bday cake and more - often dousing it with liquid dish soap) DH mentioned that I should save him some. Last night I ate two pieces before I went to bed. I broke my own 'rule' - when in doubt...throw it out. I wasn’t willing to use my resistance techniques.

But, today I am grateful for the willingness to plan for a healthy day.

The good news...I am down one more pound. The best part of this is my next mini goal is onederland....199.

tv off - some of the time
fork down between bites - alot of the time
TASTE the food - alot of the time
slow mindful eating - a lot of the time
eat seated only, no seconds - some of the time
feel fullness - some of the time
leave a bite on the plate - all of the time
plan, log, measure, count calories - all of the time (except when I ate the bread)
Beck book - no
Arc/rc - yes
Exercise/ spon. Exerecise - no
Weighed self - yes

New2me2 - credit for skipping a meal and NOT going back for the chocolate. You rock! Wonderful job on all that exercise.

gardener joy - I hope your brother is better very soon. Credit for staying with a healthy food day - well done NOT eating the ice cream when you felt so stressed.

Anne wonders - glad you posted! Good job on getting in your run.

Billbe - good job on getting in your walk. I too love to see the children playing in the sprinkler with glee. Hey - maybe I could move my scale around, too. Oh, I forgot..the floor is level.

Seadwaters - so many good things…pool, food, microwave getting fixed, a new walking stick, etc. Many credits. I am beginning to think that if I portion my food and don’t go back for seconds (I rarely do that) - eating in front of the tv might be OK for me if I can be mindful of the food along with watching the TV. In the first book, Dr. Beck said we should learn to live with the tv and food…it’s a huge part of our culture.

Woodland. - Hi! I am glad you can get through the muddy roads finally. It’s good to miss the gym! I totally agree how this forum is so helpful and a big part of much of my success with the Beck principles.

Shepardess - so glad the stress of the presentation is over. I understand how that can go. Even though I have been a performer for twenty years - sometimes I get ‘butterflies’ too. I am so glad it went well. I love your 'poop' in the gift bag. One year DH bought me 'Zoo Doo' as a mother's day gift.
Any stress eating you did is OVER. You’ve gotten in your weights and now can hop back to what you know works best. Carry on.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 06-16-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the warm welcomes ! I'm happy to be here among fellow Beck folks. I'm not a real talker, but will jump in occasionally.

Here's to having a great Thursday on program !

Woodland
Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #165  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Thursday Night

Hi Coaches

I have decided, from my XL spreadsheet that I am fluctuating around 216 so I am not actually losing weight on 2000 calories which is what it works out at in Beck (green book). Given I am on prednisolone AND anti-hormone therapy (even Kylie [Minogue] said that for the first time in her life she had to watch her weight on this stuff ) I guess it is too much so I am cutting it by about 200 cals. I will be on the anti-hormone stuff for 5 years so need to get it in control now. I am also looking at something which proposes calorie cycling - a way of confusing the starvation metabolism that can lead to plateaus. They suggest that a couple of times a week you increase the calories and on other days drop them (so overall for the week the calories stay the same). Helps prevent or break plateaus - so will cycle up and down around 1800 and see what happens.

Anne (AnneWonders) - Travel well

BeverlyJoy - Ouch for warm zucchini bread - I use your dish soap technique often!Yay for 1# lost

BillBlueEyes - Little kids in the sprinklers are a thing of the past here. We always did it in summer but with unrelenting drought they have been virtually banned and I think now there are several generations who haven't done it. Yay for 2# loss the easy way!

Donna (new2me2) - Not sure I would ever forget chocolate unless there was some catastrophic event - so credit! All that exercise sounds great

Gardenerjoy - Yay for resisting that ice-cream monstrosity well done even if things were a little off plan you jumped all over that sabotaging thought - huge credit

Shepherdess - Glad your presentation went well. Anything that says Chuck Wagon sounds neither vegetarian of restrained - you did well to plan on salads. Maybe pack a bit of protein next time? I too have bad turkeys - bush turkeys - anything you plant or mulch they dig up!

Credits -
Motivate myself daily
- Read A&R cards - once
- Consciously gave credit for positive eating / exercise behaviours - Yes
- Planned my day - Yes
- Made food plan - Yes
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Posted to the list - yes
- Ate mindfully and seated every time - seated almost every time; nibbling while making dinner
- Put down fork occasionally - yes
- Weighed myself - Yes - up (sigh)- 216.8
- Drank water - more than usual
- Exercise - no
- Resistance techniques - yes

Working on -
Still working on credits and motivation

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl
Closed Thread