General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 04:20 PM   #1  

Default Low fat eating is the way!!

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum/website. I am very glad to have found it though, I just wanted to let you all know my views, and see if anyone else wants to join.

I had started, about 3 weeks ago, reading about how to eliminate fat signifantly and lose weight. I wanted something permanant, that wouldn't leave me feeling, cranky or starved. As well, I didnt want to take any more pills!! I read a few books from Susan Powter, and searched the web on the subject.

Since that day, 3 weeks ago, I have lost a total of 16 pounds!! I feel very good. I am content with the plan. I try to eat around 20% fat. Sometimes I may eat 30%. I really try to keep it down. I buy as many no fat items as possible, eat whole grains, vegetables, lean meats, fruit, skim milk.

I also exercise everyday, except once on the weekend. I either, go for a walk, do some resistance or strength training, try to keep busy. I just would like to keep this open for everyone who is interested to give this a try. It is a gradual weight loss, and if you adapt, from what I have seen, it is permanat. I still have at least 80 more pounds to lose, and I do intend to do it, and keep it off. So, please write to me, let me know your opinions on the information I just put out. Try it!!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Just wanted to say congrats on the 16 pounds you've lost so far! That is great results for 3 weeks!

It sounds like you have yourself a really healthy plan. I've tried low-fat in the past but I wasn't making 'healthy' low-fat options and without doing that, I just wound up eating too much sugar and too many calories. So, I decided to just count calories. I've lost 46 pounds in the past year and I'm stuck. Currently I'm attempting the Body for Life program but I think it may just be too strict for me... I'm thinking if I can't stick with it, I may just go back to counting calories, but this time I'm going to try to balance my diet as well.. by counting not only fat grams but carbs and protein as well. I'm part of a thread here called "doing it the old fashioned way." It is comprised mostly of calorie-counters but we also welcome other methods of 'counting' our way to a healthier weight. Feel free to stop by if you'd like to join in our conversations...

Christine
195/149/130
Old 04-09-2002, 03:01 PM   #3  

Angry I will do that!!

Thanks for writing. I did do the calorie counting option, about 3 years ago, had lost about 70 pounds, and was at a standstill, from there, I had joined the military, and went wild after basic training with my eating!! I recently got out, and I honestly feel much more stable with this option. I do weigh my calories, but the fat issue really made a difference for me. I used to eat alot of margarine/ used alot of cooking oils, and high fat cheeses and dressings.

Doing this eliminated that, and I have so much more energy!!I know different things pretty much work for different people. If anyone has other ideas, or is doing the same thing. Let me know how it is going!! I would appreciate your response

Latisia
cw 250 gw 160 ( for now, may change as I progress!!)
Old 04-10-2002, 04:31 PM   #4  

Default something else to know

Calories, as I said before are important too!! Hey, I feel like it is only me here, anyone else got some lines to add. I have been doing well, all week. I will let you all know about my weigh in on Friday, to see the final results!! I wanna hear from some of ya'al!!!

Latisia
Old 04-11-2002, 11:49 AM   #5  
banned

congrats!!!

i am on a low fat, low carb thing.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:14 PM   #6  

Angry Hello

Hey Andrea, how is your progress?? How long have you been doing it?? what are your goals.?? Mine is to lose this weight in a healthy manner that will be for life, now more yo-yoing.

Anybody else do Tae-bo, and has anyone purchased Tae-bo 2??

Latisia
Old 04-11-2002, 04:27 PM   #7  
banned

hi latisia,

progress is very slow. ive only been doing it for a week, so i just started& so far, ive lost 3/4 of a pound. my goal is 125 out of 175. good luck!

if anyone wants to make the journey more interesting, i have a msn site where ppl gather&set mini weight goals or "challenges" for themselves. for instance, the current challenge just started a few days ago,&ends memorial day. the goal of that is to say, well, lets see if i can lose 10 pounds by then.

http://communities.msn.com/weightchallenges come join us!!
Old 04-12-2002, 03:15 PM   #8  

Default Good Idea!!

That is a good idea, Andrea. I will go there, and I am sure others will too. Progress is slow, but steady.. Well I weighed in, lost 2 pounds in the past week. Not too bad. Anyone else have something to share??

Latisia
Old 04-12-2002, 09:56 PM   #9  
banned

thanks. glad to have ya. congrats on yr loss! im doing ok, i didnt eat very much today though.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:42 AM   #10  

Default Low Fat eating...

Well, this is something I may look back into... I am a WW client... But, last month I decided to step back a bit... Not saying I've given up on WW, but just need to stop the insantiy I build up when ever I would go and weigh in... two months ago I was .4 oz away from goal weight, then the next week I leaped up 10 pounds... Praise God, I did not panic, but I started to do some praying and thinking for myself... So far I am hanging in there between 160 and 167.. I want to venture out to low fat, lean meats, and whole foods for life... I just want to enjoy food, but not like before at 273. WW has through the grace of God, taught me sooooo much... This is truly a blessing... Exercise is an understanding I have now, and so that part isn't always easy, but I understand that before twice in my life of gaining back was due to no knowledge of nutrution/ label reading and complelely no exercise at all... I have eliminate a lot of old foods out of my life, fast foods, etc... Once ins a great while I'll go there, but that's because I've allowed it in my day...

So, I may try just the low/lean and whole foods way of life... God's earth is spacious... WW and I will, I think have a lasting relationship, but it's time for me to move on.

Wish me luck and say a prayer for me...

Denise...

Last edited by Swan_lake; 04-13-2002 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:45 AM   #11  
banned

i hear ua denise
Old 04-13-2002, 03:26 PM   #12  

Default Hi everyone!!

Hey Denise, I am there for you, if you need an uplift. I will pray for you, and help as much as I can! I understand that you are interested in this, and believe me it is a wise choice.

About the label reading, I had no idea about hydrogenated oils, until last month!! Hidden fats, that make people believe something that isnt true. You really have to read those labels, and know what is going into your body.

I am still adjusting, and I do have slip ups, but not as often as when I had did other eating plans. I just come right back, do my workout as soon as I wake up, and that's what motivates me.

What also helps, is coming here, writing to people, and hearing them tell how they are doing, or just giving encouraging word. So Denise, and Andrea, welcome!! Let's motivate eachother!! We can do this, and we won't go back!!

Andrea, how are you doing? I know you said you had just started. How is it coming along?

Anyone else who wants to join, may. Please do.. Have a wonderful day, stay positive!!!

Latisia
Old 04-13-2002, 04:01 PM   #13  
banned

Thanks latisia!

im doing well so far this week. I try to stay at a max of 1500 cals&50g fat, which i know seemsw like alit, but im not eating that much starch&most of the time i stay within 35g. wednedays are my weighins&ive got alot to lose!
Old 04-14-2002, 08:03 PM   #14  

Dear T-Girl,

Congratulations on your weight loss! If I may ask, can you list a sample menu and calorie/fat level you are following?

Thank you!
Jennifer
Old 04-14-2002, 10:06 PM   #15  

Default Hey there..

Hey Andrea, just keep up the good work, and the weigh will come off!! I am still doing well. As for the sample menu, here is what I do.. In the morning, bkfast, I normally have some fresh fruit orange, apple banana, or grapes or something like that, low fat or no fat yogurt, whole wheat toast or bagel..if I have a bagel, then I have it with no fat cheese low fat meat, all toasted and yummy, if I have eggs, it is the egg beaters, I drink skim milk or a cup of juice , water. I have cereal sometimes, bran flakes or cream of wheat, or oatmeal. love it.

Lunch, consists of a sandwhich, light tuna, no fat mayo, salad fruit, and no fat dressing with salad, check for hydrogenated oils!!! I might take some french bread veggies, tomato sauce, no fat cheese, make a pizza, fruit, ( i eat alot of yogurt!!) Sometimes I take pasta, roast a chicken breast with no skin fat trimmed, in broth, make, and mix it up with diced tomatos, and seasonings yummy. sometimes I have rice and beans. always have some fruit, and veggies such as a salad, or grean beans, broccoli, carrots, squash, lots of high density grains!!

Dinner is pretty much like lunch, except it is normally pasta or rice with a veggie and fruit. I f I feel like snacking I will have a rice cake, or no fat pudding or fruit, or make one of susan powters recipes. the key is low fat, high denity foods, with moderate portions. Look at the labels, make sure it is under 30% I hope you get alot of information from this, and join us here!! If there is anything else you need to know I will be glad to help!! Also baked potatoes are good.. I use butter buds, and I just discovered a no fat margarine. still have to open it and try it, I am used to using broth instead and butter buds!! well take care..

Latisia

and I couldnt help myself weighed in again, lost a total of 19 pounds !!!!
Closed Thread