Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #46  

Hmm, I'm having a hair problem.. My hair is limp,flat,thin and I'm sporting a Marcia-doo,(from the Brady Bunch) ..and dyed too many times that the ends are looking dead black instead of brown and quite fried..Right now it's down to my boobage area..
I need a new style and some color correction I think...Maybe a shag? A loose body wave? It definitely needs to be cut.. and SOON..cuz I have a habit of taking Kitchen Shears (yet another useful kitchen gadget) and cutting my own.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #47  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I've found that the Garnier colors seem to last the shortest amount of time. (And yet they have the prettiest shades) They wash out of my hair faster than Special Effects, which is only semi permanant.

I need to start cornering women with good hair on the street so I can find a new stylist
Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #48  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I dye my husband's hair Black with Nice and Easy. It seems to be the only one that lasts and bleeds the least. The coverage is good too as he has quite a lot of grey on the side. He started going grey when he was 19.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #49  

Hello all. I've been an incognito burrito all summer, but school's about to start and I have a week off before that so here I am. It's funny that hair dyeing should be the topic of conversation right now 'cause I'm probably getting mine cut and dyed next week. I'd like to have vibrant red hair, think early Tori Amos red. I also want to keep some length in my hair, but I find that stylists always want to cut my do short. Do y'all find this to be the case? I think a lot of stylists think "big girls" should have short hair and it really pisses me off.

Anyway, it's good to be back in the conversation. I've been watching from afar when I'm exhausted in the evenings. Welcome to all the new people I look forward to the conversations.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #50  
Pending Email Confirmation

I don't know why that is either, since they always say that short hair draws attention to your fat face. *L* I do have a problem with them trying to change my part in my hair. I have the Wednesday Adams hair part, right down the middle and it will NOT go away, no matter how much they try to spray, gel, comb it. I also have the limp straight thin hair -but a lot of it! It's short right now, but I am thinking of growing it long again. I did find a great shampoo and conditioner that makes my hair just a little less flat and thats L'Oreal Vive non-stop volume (the purple one). It works great and smells great.

I have a hard time telling someone who is cutting my hair that they need to cut more or do something different, basically speaking up and telling them what I want. I don't know why, maybe I feel like it'd be rude to tell them how to do their job? Maybe I don't want to piss them off and get a really bad haircut? *LOL*
Old 08-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #51  
Life is a cabaret

Hi Hannah I haven't "met" you before but welcome back just the same! The more the merrier!

I know exactly what you mean about hair stylists wanting to cut, cut, cut! My hair used to be to my waist a few years ago, but I decided to go shoulder length because I can do more with it. When I had super long hair all I did was pull it back anyway. I have very straight, teflon silky hair so nothing would hold! Curls fell out, barettes fell out, those hair floofy things would slip out and I couldn't even keep a neat braid (plat)! Now that it's shoulder length (sans bangs/fringe) I find that I can sleep on sponge rollers overnight and get a very nice curl in the morning. Straightening tongs worked great too, although I don't use them anymore.

Now that I've gone shoulder length, the stylists always want to layer my hair! I hate that! I'm just not one of those 'flippy' chicks who like their ends to stick out around their head like the Statue of Liberty. I'm more of a glossy, soft wave, Rita Hayworth kind of girl. There's nothing wrong with the former, of course, but I just have a different preference. I'm more into the cupcake pin-up look than the rave, dancehouse look. I also found that when I lived in England, everyone looked the same so it was hard trying to break the stylists out of their templates! Highlights in bold colors were HUGE but the stylists always made them look like wrapping paper! They'd start at the part, take an inch sized chunk and dye it, say, red on blond hair. They'd do that all around the head until it looked like someone had put Twizzlers in their hair. I never condemn people for their personal preference, but that is just NOT me at all. Trying to get hairdressers to understand that was a chore.

Lizziness, I know exactly what you mean about being afraid to say anything for fear of upsetting them or unintentionally sounding rude, but I've gotten better. I figure that it's my hair and I'm the one who has to look at it in the mirror everyday so the least they can do is cut it the way I want it - especially at the prices they charge in decent salons! I do find that if I explain the look I'm going for, they tend to understand better. If I just say, "I don't want it layered" they start in about all this "framing the face makes your face look thinner and longer (gee thanks!) and how it will "move" and have more "texture". Instead, I explain that I use other methods to make it move and have texture but that I'm after glossy and sleek more than choppy and flippy. Somehow and for some reason that seems to get them all excited - I think because then they can go on about all the products they have which will enhance the curls, the gloss, the volume, et. al. add nauseum. (That's what actually prompted me to ask my friend about salon products in the first place). I should note that I didn't have my friend cut my hair because she had a ganglean cyst in her wrist so she'd packed in doing hair until after her surgery.

Anyway, I guess it's just an ongoing dilemma for us girlies (and probably some guys too). I just like hearing other peoples' experiences and opinions. Word of mouth is much better advertising than some TV ad!

Alisha
Old 08-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #52  

I have a horrible time with hair stylists too. When I had butt lenght hair they always wanted to cut five inches off when I said trim. Now, I like nape of the neck short in the back & then slightly below chin length in the front, very edgy. Except for my now long ago stylist in DC no one ever cuts it enough in the back & too much in front. It looks a little too suburban Office Wench & not so much cool noire hairstyle. Know what I mean? As to whether it is slimming or not...I found that I actually look much younger now that it is short but I find that the secret to not looking fat with short hair for me is to leave the front long. That way is can be styled in just a bit which seems to make my face look longer & thinner. If I get say middle of my cheekbones length, I look so fat faced!
I agree w/you guys, I adore Garnier's colors but I don't think they last for anything. Hourglass....I remember the line you are referring to. I used to used their dark auburn & can't find it anymore. As to blue blacks, maybe you should check with Sally's? They have every color in the rainbow in tons of brands. I got a color awhile back, I think it was called merry widow or something odd. anyways, the hair strip with it looked like aubergine but when I died my hair it looked more like a blue/purple black. Took forever to fade out...in fact, some of it is still growing out. I almost tried a different shade since it lasted so long but I was displeased about it looking so different than the box/hair sample.
Schazti, are you thinking of maybe layers? I always hear that is good for limp hair. I have the opposite problem. My hair is frizzy & has to be thinned there is so much of it. I'm always complaining that I'd love to have straight hair without all this body that never does what I want it to. The grass is indeed greener.
Hannah, good luck with the hair color. Funny you should mention Tori, she is playing here this weekend I think.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #53  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

Talking

Hey everyone! We still on the hair topic? Too funny.

I sometimes think about getting a perm again - I love big hair and mine just lays on my head - when I had my last perm - my hair was still to my waist and all 1 length and the most beautiful shade of red - it was kind a a burnt orange? - think the color of pine tree when it dies only shiny. Anyway - I have blue eyes but wore green lenses - it was bright green like the color of grass when it is overcast - man I just loved it.

The perm was great in the summer cuz it looked best when wet and we were always camping or rafting etc. and then I could fluff it up for work. Big hair = small face and when you are built like May West (broad Shoulders, broad butt) you need to have big hair. But I digress -

All this hair talk is making me want to change color and texture again soon - drool!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:19 PM   #54  

By your reckoning AJ I should have a hairstyle like the B52 girls!!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:35 PM   #55  

I love sporting a big ole bouffant! I did it once in High School for "anti-prom." It was so much fun to see the looks I got! I've always wanted to do it again, but I have to get someone else to style it for me since I have no idea how to do it.

Last Halloween I put my hair in a bunch of small buns, they were held together by lots of gel and rubberbands. By the time I got home there was no way I was going to deal with taking that mess out of my hair. The next day my hair was so curly and cute. My BF asked if I could get it permed that way. He's never asked me to do anything with my hair before. I still consider it, but I'm convinced it wouldn't come out nearly as well.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:35 PM   #56  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacock 2
By your reckoning AJ I should have a hairstyle like the B52 girls!!
Sorry Peacock - I meant I should have big hair (foot in mouth) - actually I dont do hairspray, not since hi school. the only kind that ever held good - aqua net extra super hold in the white/pink can was not only bad for the ozone but my complexion too - but man my doo could withstand a hurricane!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #57  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

Thumbs up Sat AM Weigh IN

Hi gals!

You ever get on the scale - and look at it and then get off, get back on, get off, get back on - just be sure it is correct?

I do that more - when I show a loss - like today! Last week I went up 2 and this week I am down 5 (3 from my ticker since I never updated)

233 at 7:19 am Sat 8-13-05 Buck Naked - empty tummy (very empty)

Going to the "big city" for groceries today - will check in all of you later.

PJ
Old 08-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #58  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

congrats on the weight loss...

sorry it's been awhile for me girls...i've been busy...ok so not really...just busy being lazy and i have GOT to get exercising again tomorrow! I've also been working on my website a lot justferretpants.com if any of you wanna check it out and give me your humble opinion

on the hair topic...my hair was down to my rear this spring and i chopped it...a nice inverted bob...i love it, but now i think i'll let it grow out for the winter and maybe chop it in the spring again...i dunno i get bored with it so easy...

tonight i'm heading to the county fair with the man...there's a schoolbus demo show going on LOL should be fun...

have a good day ladies!
Old 08-14-2005, 04:07 AM   #59  

AJ - not offended. It was somethign I often thoguth about - to balalnce my hips I should have BIG hair! I suppose aqua net woul dhold but I have never had a bouffant do and my hair is very heavy and won't stand up to anything! I rarely bother with mousse and suchlike cos it get grimy the very next day.

Just think when we are all down to our desired size we will still have to tackle our hair!! On and on it goes!!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #60  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

so true...life is all about balance and you're never done balancing things...ever...kind of depressing, but it's also nice to know that there's always something to improve...ahh how it shows the human side of us lol

my date with andy was great last night...the fair was a lot of fun...we haven't been able to have a good date like that in awhile
Closed Thread