Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 10:17 AM   #31  
Is it Friday yet?

Bowling for Columbine sounds a little too intense for me...

Theotoks, hi there! Saw where you're from and got warm, fuzzy kinda homesick feelings.... I'm from Napa.

Terri
Old 12-12-2002, 10:31 AM   #32  
Searching

Talking Warning:Serious Fan Girl Here

Loved all the Kevin Smith movies from Clerks to Chasing Amy to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back(this is an awesome soundtrack by the way!). He puts out a real human point of view and I think thats why his movies resonate so well with people. It was the same when he was writing on Daredevil the comic, not the movie(I don't know how deep it is but I will be at the theatre in Feb. to watch it).

Enjoyed some irony last night with Comic Book Villians. There is a scene in the end where 2 of the 4 main characters are talking about how good the pursuit of the chase is. I thought it was quite though provokiing since I seem to be on a perpetual pursuit for anything to make my life more interesting.

You gals keep this up and my Netflix list will keep growing

Miss Chris
Old 12-13-2002, 02:16 PM   #33  
Searching

Talking Movie for the Day

I don't know where religion has taken a place in the last 24 hours but TallTracy got quite a few ladies fired up in the journals with her rant about Christmas is for Christians. Then I found myself watching Dogma last night. Rufus spoke to my heart more than ever before. The whole part about ideas vs. beliefs. It gets my approval.

Then today I watched Stolen Summer. Talk about a movie that will make you think, and all from the perspective of an 8 year old. Its about a Jewish family and a Catholic family, and belonging to the family of men. Really good. Four hankies at least

Miss Chris
Old 12-13-2002, 05:30 PM   #34  
Is it Friday yet?

Ooooh Chris! Didn't ya just love Dogma??? One of my favorite movies - and I'm Pagan.
There's a huge part of me that would love to go jump into a "Christmas is for Christians" fight - but I shall refrain... let them think what they will
(if it weren't for the celebration of the rebirth of light at winter solstice there would be no holiday to Christianize into Christmas - sorry, rant over, I whispered)

Much love to you open-minded lovely women you,

Terri
Old 12-13-2002, 05:45 PM   #35  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Dogma is a wonderful movie. I am with you Chris - the ideas vs. beliefs is one of the best parts.

I havn't checked out the debate going on in the journals. Probably shouldn't. I do celebrate Christmas though I am probably agnostic. It is the closest thing. For me I just celebrate life, family, and good fortune. I also pay attention to when Hanukkah is, and know some of the background on it. I have tried to fast a day for Rahmadan with my old roommate. That didn't work out so well. Just couldn't last all day. I have read things on Pagan rituals. I think it is all facinating. I just don't think one is any better, or any more "right" then another.

But anyway, this is the movie thread - so I will just add I LOVE Kevin Smith and all his movies. I am interested in seeing Jersey Girl when it comes out since it will be his first non-Jay & Silent Bob movie. Actually a film written & directed by Jeff Anderson (Randal from Clerks) is opening in NYC this weekend. I can't wait for wide release.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:39 PM   #36  

Height: 5'-2"

That's true, Terri! Christmas is a "stolen" holiday.

I was going to go and look at that thread; too, Squeak. But I'd probably get into a fit of rage at the intolerance of some people.

I'm a Christian, but I have no objection to sharing Christmas with everyone. It's a time for love, and that's really all we're here for. I love and respect all of you for your different beliefs.
I just don't understand Christians who get into a rage about these things.

I know this isn't the "poetry thread", but anyhow...
My father read this at my wedding.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels,
but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong
or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy
and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but
do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess
to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,
but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it
does not boast, it is not proud. Love is never rude.
Love is not jealous, it is not self-seeking, it is not
easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the
truth. There is no limit to love's forbearance,
to its trust, its hope, its power to endure.

Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will
come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease;
as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we
know only in part; but when the complete comes,
the partial will come to an end. When I was a child,
I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned
like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to
childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly,
but then we will see face to face. Now I know only
in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been
fully known.

And now these three remain:
Faith, Hope and Love.
But the greatest of these is Love.

1 Corinthians 13:1-7

Old 12-13-2002, 09:40 PM   #37  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Ellis, I read that at my Dad's funeral - through tears, of course. Beautiful! (I do "through tears" at Christenings, Weddings and Funerals! I am considering being a professional mourner in my next incarnation!) I am not abig fan of mysoginist St Paul but he does have a way with words!
Old 12-13-2002, 11:39 PM   #38  

Hmmm, funny. I'm not a big fan of his, either.
Let me know when you pass over, and I'll come and wail at your wedding. I'm pretty damned good at mourning, too.
NOT that I'm assuming you're going before me, of course.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:03 AM   #39  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

Isn't stolen german for bread? LOL!

Anyhoo, I saw that journal entry, and it was in response to Joy Behar griping on the view that the president sent out Jesus specific holiday greeting, and the journal writer took exception to that. I was tempted to title my journal Christmas is for everyone but I resisted. First, Joy has a right to her opinion, and second I do think Christmas is for everyone, because all people can relate to peace on earth, good will toward people, and being with family and friends. And Ellis is absolutely right the Christians appropriated the Winter Solstice celebration for Christmas to "presuade" pagans to be baptized, and so they used the tree, holly, and the time of year as the time to celebrate Christmas, Jesus was actually born in April, most think April 6th. Oh well, thats why I hang out in here, it's so loving and accepting in here. Love you guys!

Last edited by VelvetCyberpunk; 12-14-2002 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:29 AM   #40  

BTW, Ruthie... you spelled "misogynist" incorrectly. I just couldn't resist correcting our much revered Queen of the English Language.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:46 AM   #41  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

mysoginist/misogynist OMG!!!!!! I am so mortified! I'll never be able to show my head around here again! Whodathunkit!
Old 12-14-2002, 11:23 PM   #42  

Oh boy, I have to jump in here....

First off, on the movies, I have too many to list but totally agree about Michael Moore films and Kevin Smith's "Dogma."

I recently read "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Gender bending plus a little history thrown in. Good read. I'm finally reading his first book, "The Virgin Suicides." Oh, and I'm reading a bio of Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser. And rereading David Sedaris's Santaland Diaries and Holidays on Ice, too.

Ok, I don't know about the journal debate but I've got to say something. First, I think the Pres. should be more sensitive about his holiday card selection. But, to parphrase Monty Python's Holy Grail, "You're fooling yourself, we're living in a theocracy."

Second, I boycott The View and Payless Shoes because of Starr Jones. A while back she said she would not vote for an atheist for Pres. or ever let one babysit her (hypothetical) children. There was a minor backlash but she refused to retract it. Then there was a rumor that she did retract it so I emailed her and said, "Hey, good for you, that's hard to do. But I'm sure you've had your struggles as a minority so I'm glad to see you're being more mindful of religious minorities, too." Well, she wrote back quickly and said no way would she or did she retract her statements, she stands by them 100%. Now, if she had said that about Jewish people or gays or people who graduated from Princeton or whoever, she wouldn't have gotten away with it. I guess atheists are still fair game. Phooey on her!

I may be a heathen but I still love the holidays and what they're *supposed* to be about. Cheers!
Old 12-14-2002, 11:35 PM   #43  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

That is why I don't go around advertising it. When Madalyn Murray O'Hair (and family) were murdered they decided she ran away to Mexico, and they didn't investigate for 5 years. Even that "liberal" Gore said he wanted prayer back in the schools. Gays/Lesbians/Transgendered, atheists and fat people. Still open season.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:44 PM   #44  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

I totally agree Den, if you are a pagan, or god forbid an atheist, fat, or gay you may as well forget about anyone worrying about your civil rights. Well, I would vote for an atheist for President if he/she were they right man or woman for the job. They are just as moral, and ethical as a believing person, look at Isaac Asimov, he was a wonderful, caring, and honest person, and he was totally atheist. People like Star Jones make me want to vomit. But hey what can you expect? She thinks O.J. is innocent.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:47 PM   #45  

Hey, Dentrassi, you're right about that! I don't advertise it, either. Well, unless by "advertising" you mean talking about it online 1/2 the time!

Guess this means my big overweight, atheist, liberal, gay-friendly self is in trouble!

(anyone here in another country looking for a roommate?)
Closed Thread