Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 10:47 AM   #16  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Sojo-yes, it is a disturbing film but it really makes you think and it does give you some hope too. Great performances in this film-very compelling.

I hear Shindler's list is an amazing film but I have not worked up the courage to see it yet. I have a really hard time watching films about the holocaust-I get really upset by them. I watched a documentary on the holocaust when I was a kid with very graphic footage and I don't think I got over it-it made me angry and sad at the same time and I still can't watch these movies with out bawling my eyes out-they are too emotionally draining for me.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:43 PM   #17  
Searching

Talking American X is on my list a Netflix to be sent next

Shindler's List was very powerful. I watched it in German, and cried harder and longer than I did in the theatre, because it seemed so much more real to me. Same with Europa! Europa!

Speaking of foreign films Eat, Drink, Man, Woman is one of my favorites as well as Tokyo Express. Both have a high pace and energy and explore what we want to get from our lives and interpersonal relationships. Fun on the martial arts front: Who am I; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon;Mr. Nice Guy

If you liked Heathers, then let me recommend Drop Dead Gorgeous and Serial Mom. Dying beauty contestansts and killer moms!I do like the twisted and subversive.

Just for fun: Check out the New Guy! Reminds me of all those wonderful teen anghst movies from my childhood. Breakfast Club always gave me alot to think about! Along with Sixteen Candles and my favorite Some Kind of Wonderful. Pretty in Pink was pretty cool too. Gee I date myself!

Miss Chris
Old 12-10-2002, 06:30 PM   #18  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

My favorite "make you think" movies are :

Before Sunrise - Can the love of your life only last one night?

The Crow - Always makes me cry

Memento - which I think someone mentioned all ready

Sliding Doors - Its the little things that can make a big difference

Even if you don't like Stephen King - watch The Green Mile.

Chasing Amy - wonderful different love story. Holden's confession to Alyssa in the rain gets me everytime.

Ok I gotta put this in here:

Holden: I love you. And not, not in a friendly way, although I think we're great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm sure that's what you'll call it. I love you. Very, very simple, very truly. You are the epitome of everything I have ever looked for in another human being. And I know that you think of me as just a friend, and crossing that line is the furthest thing from an option you would ever consider. But I had to say it. I just, I can't take this anymore. I can't stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can't, I can't look into your eyes without feeling that, that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are. And I know this will probably queer our friendship - no pun intended - but I had to say it, because I've never felt this way before, and I don't care. I like who I am because of it. And if bringing this to light means we can't hang out anymore, then that hurts me. But God, I just, I couldn't allow another day to go by without just getting it out there, regardless of the outcome, which by the look on your face is to be the inevitable shoot-down. And, you know, I'll accept that. But I know...I know that some part of you is hesitating for a moment, and if there is a moment of hesitation, then that means you feel something too. All I ask, please, is that you just, you just not dismiss that - and try to dwell in it for just ten seconds. Alyssa, there isn't another soul on this f***ng planet who has ever made me half the person I am when I'm with you, and I would risk this friendship for the chance to take it to the next plateau. Because it is there between you and me. You can't deny that. Even if, you know, even if we never talk again tonight, please know that I'm forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:56 PM   #19  

Cool Squeak! I loved Chasing Amy too, and Dogma is another one of my faves.

Braveheart-although some of it is rather fanciful and they did take liberties with history in some parts-it shows some of what happened to the Scottish at the hands of the English nobility (and some of their own people who sold out to the English).
It was a very stirring movie-just listening to the soundtrack makes me emotional.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:35 AM   #20  
Velvet Goddess

S/C/G: 297/250/126

Height: 5'6"

I also thought "But I'm a Cheerleader" was very thought provoking. It really makes you think about gay stereotypes, and what makes a man a man, and what makes a woman, a woman. Also, about how you can't have a 12 step program to make a person straight. I loved this movie.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:14 AM   #21  

I really like foreign films, like Amelie and Life is Beautiful, and anything by Pedro Almodovar or Akira Kurisawa.

I think what gets me about them is the wide range of people that they show... it really makes me aware of how Hollywood is so limited in what they consider beautiful. Foreign movies seem have a wider variety- they show old people and fat people and wrinkly people and hairy people and people with imperfect teeth and blemished skin, and they seem so much more human to me than perfect plastic people in movies. I like that, maybe because it makes me feel like it's okay that I'm not a Barbie doll, that my story is still important.

Or it could be the hot foreign guys with sexy accents. I dunno.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:42 AM   #22  

I totally agree with you on the foreign films.

Everyone seems more down to earth and human and you are right about the plastic effect. Most of the people in foreign films look like everyday joes, living life,falling in love, facing obstacles,sometimes they are ordinary people dealing with extraordinary circumstances or are or having weird things happen to them. I seem to be able to relate to them more, maybe because I have ended often up in Lynchesque situations myself

I am not a big chick flck or romance film fan but I really enjoyed the films "Like Water for Chocolate" and "Chocolat" (maybe I just like films about chocolate ).

Pedro Almovadar's "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" is also one of my faves-I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face! I also think the romances and sex scenes are more passionate and more believable in these films.

I always get bashed for saying this because there was a storm of controversy over this film when it was released but I really liked the movie "The Lover".
Old 12-11-2002, 11:49 AM   #23  

Height: 5'-2"

I agree with you; too, Tami.
I HATE seeing pretty faces all the time!
You know what I love... it's not particularly deep, but I love "Waking Ned Devine".
And Margaret's Museum.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:22 PM   #24  
Is it Friday yet?

Another great thought provoking topic!

Beloved - pity that more people didn't take this movie in. I thought about this movie for months after I saw it - the symbolism in it was amazing and heartbreaking.

Dogma - I appreciate the balls it took for Kevin Smith to do this movie. To refer to God as "he" and "she" alternately and discussing Catholicism like they did was pretty brave.

American Beauty - Like the movie trailer said "look deeper" - 'nuff said

The Green Mile - Only Stephen King movie I cried watching

Life is Beautiful - Inspired me to learn Italian. Incredible story, but taught me a huge lesson - it's about living life the best you can and not letting what's happening in life rule you.

Truly, Madly, Deeply - Cried again. The thought that loved one who've passed *want* to see us love again just tore me up and made me hope it was true.

Terri
Old 12-11-2002, 03:44 PM   #25  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Hey, Punkin -- Wasn't Alan Rickman in Truly, Madly, Deeply? Loved it!
Old 12-11-2002, 05:06 PM   #26  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

I loved But I am a CHeerleader , as well. Such a good movie. Have you seen Better than CHocolate. Good movie too!
Old 12-11-2002, 05:47 PM   #27  

Height: 5'-2"

So.... anybody read any good books lately?
Old 12-11-2002, 07:10 PM   #28  
Is it Friday yet?

Yes Alan Rickman was in Truly, Madly, Deeply

As for good books... I read Jemima J recently - great book. About a girl who falls for someone online and has to try to loose 80 pounds before she meets him - and all the fun of realizing looks mean *nothing*.

Terri
Old 12-12-2002, 12:27 AM   #29  

Default Makin' Me Think

Yikes!

Memento - what a Mind [email protected]#$

Dead Man Walking - I LOVE the power of this movie

When a Man Loves a Woman - the kid just breaks my heart

Bowling for Columbine - Michael Moore usually makes me laugh, but I sobbed through this movie

Groundhog Day - repeating your mistakes, people?
Old 12-12-2002, 12:37 AM   #30  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I REALLY want to see Bowling for Columbine.
Closed Thread