Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 12:04 AM   #46  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I know what you mean!! Just hope nobody is reading this and connecting it with who we really are through "CARNIVORE" or else our Canadian friends will have a few unexpected visitors!!!!
Old 12-15-2002, 02:55 AM   #47  
Searching

Talking You gals are killing me

I ran into this at work some years ago. One of the ladies found out my hubby was an atheist and I was agnostic. She walked up to me and said, "And I thought you were such a nice girl".Like being nice and religion had anything in common. In fact I think we have seen in the news in the last year some very holy people have done some very BAD things.

As far as Starr Jones and the View is concerned I usually only watch it to laugh. Who even knows whats going on with them trying to speak over each other?

Two more movie recomends:
1. The Sex Monster- not only do I love Margeaux Hemmingway(which I probably spelled wrong!) this movie makes people think about experimenting with their relationships and the outcome I would say is very true.

2. The Long Kiss Goodnight- I don't know about thinking but Geena Davis kicks butt!

Isaac Asimov by the way was one of the greatest, most talented minds of the 20th century. The other one was Linus Pauling and I have no idea of his religious/sexual preference either. Why does that stuff matter. If your happy, not killing anyone, contributing in a positive way to existence then that should be good enough!

Miss Chris
Old 12-15-2002, 08:17 AM   #48  

Height: 5'-2"

Cabaret. Incredible. A subtle commentary.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:23 AM   #49  

Oh. And "Ordinary People". Excellent.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:30 AM   #50  

"In the Bedroom"... incredible tension. And unexpectedly menacing.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:01 AM   #51  

I know this is the movie thread and I did come here to tell you about a movie I saw last night, but I have to say that after reading these messages here......I am so comforted.

Ok, call me crazy (most do! he he), but I walk through day to day life with the eyes and heart of an observer, an outsider, a stranger and yet I come here to Alternachicks and it feels like home.

This has got to be the most loving and tolerant group I have ever known - online or in the real world. Sometimes when I come to read or post here, it feels like I've just fallen into a big ole warm love puddle

Thank you all for being the great women that you are.

We saw " Far From Heaven" last night with Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid ( hope I spelled those right).

It was a rather disturbing view of repressed lives in the 1950s, but the acting was flawless and the cinematography was interesting - very colorful -it reminded me of Pleasantville.

Thanks for all the great movie ideas. I've started a list based on all these recommendations ! thanks! I love brain food.

Love, Terri

PS - is somebody debating religion somewhere on 3FC? That is a fruitful exercise ( tongue in cheek, here)
Old 12-15-2002, 11:46 AM   #52  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Aaaaw, Terri! A Big Warm Love Puddle! How sweet! Great title for a movie, by the way.
I've not been posting here because we enver see films but know I could come in here and say the "A Christmas Carol" makes me think and nobody would dump on me.
Gods and Goddesses Bless Us, everyone!
Old 12-15-2002, 01:31 PM   #53  

Terri, you're just the sweetest thing and we love you.
And yes, let's stop talking about religion. There's no need for that here. I respect all of you, you (I hope) all respect me for my beliefs. So let's just shut the heck up and get down to some serious smutty gossip.

Ruth, ditto on the movies. I just don't get out very much to see new movies. That's why I dragged in a few older ones.
I was thinking of plays, too. Seen any good ones lately? I was just looking at the reviews for "Clout", with Eric Peterson and R.H. Thomson. I saw it last year at the NAC and loved it. It didn't have great reviews though. People either loved it or hated it... some people left the theatre within the first 15 minutes. It was very heady. I was so excited at been mentally stimulated after so long. My teacher friend who was with me didn't understand it at all. Make what you like of THAT.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:44 PM   #54  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

I just thought of one I don't think you mentioned yet. The Time Machine. I saw it on DVD this summer. It was trippy and didn't leave the same sour taste in my mouth like Planet of the Apes did.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:00 PM   #55  

Ellis, I'm sorry. I didn't want to fuel a religious debate. I don't want to debate it at all! I can't judge anyone else's religious beliefs anymore than I can judge their taste in vegetables. To each his own and we're all the better for it.

I think Terri is right and that's why I like to come to this place, even though it's infrequent.

Fwiw, I'm a teacher (Ellis....!) I just took my kids through "To Kill a Mockingbird" and a discussion of the film. It was very thought provoking. They are now finishing Two Towers so we can all go to the movies next Thursday (yes, me and a dozen 13 yr olds!) Last year we did the same with Fellowship AND Time Machine (read book and saw both film versions).
Old 12-15-2002, 06:17 PM   #56  

Oh, Cheez... you sweet thing you... no need to apologize.
My parents were both teachers, my sister is a teacher, and so is her partner. Naturally as a mere "stay at home mom", I have a terrible inferiority complex. I wasn't putting down teachers, I assure you! Just trying to give myself a boost.
I LOVE "To Kill a Mockingbird"! I'm usually disappointed when a book is made into a movie, but the film was wonderfully well done.
Actually, we gave our son the middle name "Harper", after Harper Lee. I wish she had written more books.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:08 PM   #57  

Lots of good movies!!! Cabaret, To Kill a Mockingbird, ordinary people, A Christmas Carol. My kids have on "A Christmas Story" right now. Very funny movie (DON'T SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT!!!) Another good holiday film..."Comfort and Joy" about a radio DJ who gets caught up in the gang war between two competing ice-cream companies after his girlfriend leaves him at the holidays. VERY GOOD.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #58  

oh Cheez......please no apology. All I meant was that anytime I see discussions of religion or politics- it makes me think that it is a circular thread - going on and on and on , because these are topics for which everyone has their own unique views.

I have a cute story about my dear great grandmother. When she was about 90 yrs old, she was very cute, sweet and very tiny with a big funny smile. She lived in a condo in Florida. She was a devout Christian, but became used to her family inviting all kinds of people of all spiritual beliefs over for dinner and heated discussion.

One year on Christmas Eve - there we were - a big diverse group in her dining room enjoying a lively debate. She was trying to keep the peace - telling everybody to "just be nice". I went out to the kitchen to help her get the food ready to serve just as the discussion turned from religion to politics. I saw her roll her eyes. A few minutes later as we walked into the dining room with plates of food, I announced - "hey! politics and religion! now we should discuss sex!" to which my grandmother replied without hesitation: " politics, religion AND sex! now that ought to really burn the place down!"

maybe you had to be there to really enjoy that one, but to this day I find myself laughing hysterically to just picture it. She was adorable

Terri
Old 12-15-2002, 09:45 PM   #59  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Terri - that is adorable.

Ok I am a complete odd ball - my favorite Christmas movie is Nightmare Before Christmas. I also love Edward Scissorhands (not completely Christmas movie, but I love the idea of the snow falling because Ed was cutting ice sculptures)

I also love Charlie Brown Christmas.

I also have The Grinch (live action, though I LOVE the cartoon), and A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:23 PM   #60  

I like Nightmare Before Christmas too!!! Of course halloween IS my favorite holiday.....

(I also like Edward Scissorhands.....Johnny Depp is really sexy in that one!!!)
Closed Thread