Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #271  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

A step toward healthy eating - I threw out the ice cream left in my freezer. I figured I have more strength in the morning than in the afternoon/evening.

My DD saw the doctor yesterday. She said that my DD should stay on the meds, keep getting blood tests, deal with the symptoms for a few more weeks. If the meds do not work, she recommends radiation.

Lynn
Old 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #272  

Height: 5'3"

Just got home from the gym. I had a good workout...walked 15 min on the track...not as fast as usual but not slow. Usually am at least a 1/2 track ahead of dh and often more...and sometimes I totally catch up with him!, but today he caught up with me on the last lap. Made him feel good I could tell. You gotta let them feel good now and then you know.... Then I biked 15 min on 7 followed by 3 weight machines. Today I did the back thingy (not sure what you call it), the lat pull-down and a new machine for me, called vertical something...where you push your arms out rather than up. I did two reps of 12 on each. It's a nice day, sun is now out but think it's just to be mid-70s ..so my kind of weather.

Yesterday I bought an anniversary gift for dh. I took Rie's advice and bought a bracelet. I was planning on gold but when I saw the price of gold in the bracelet I liked, I decided to forget that. Anyway he has a gold bracelet I got him many years ago and still wears it now and then. So, I ended up getting a stainless steel with little sparkly parts in it that sometimes looks silver and sometimes gold depending on the light plus it has tiny black diamonds set between the links. The diamonds actually look brown to me and they are very tiny..they TOTAL 1/10th of a caret.. but I think its pretty and won't tarnish being stainless steel. It was $350 but I got it on sale for $277 (with tax) then I paid to get it engraved on the underside with 50 YRS. I think he'll like it. He actually prefers silver or white gold so I think he'll like the color and I know he wouldn't want me to spend even that much really. He's very frugal.

I'm thinking to bake and freeze cookies before my son and his family get here. He's my one kid that really loves sweets. I hear he's trying to eat a little healthier but I also know he expects cookies when he gets here. I thought if I bake them in advance and freeze them, I can just bring out a few now and then for dessert rather than having them out all the time to gorge on. Might help me too.

Lynn - Hoping for the best for your dd. I figured it might be worry over her causing your ice cream crisis. Glad you threw it out. I have to do that sometimes. My problem is sometimes dh's objects. He thinks I should just be disciplined. Well, he's right but it's hard for me. The other day we bought these fruit sorbets at Costco...oh so good...and mostly low (except for coconut, my favorite!) in cals but I think they are all one carb serv a piece and I can get carried away with them even.

Karen3 - So happy about your son's book success! That's a nice thoughtful gift. Doesn't it seem strange when our children get so old?!! My oldest is 47 so approaching that "big" 5-0 too. At my age of course 50 sounds great but for my kids not so much...

Glynne - Hope your C-pap comes today. I cannot imagine wearing one but am glad it helps. Seems like so many are using them these days. I just found out my 55 year old niece is using one and I'm wondering whether my son (43) may need one as his gf says he has sleep apnea.

Cajun - Your dh sounds so nice! He sounds like someone I'd like (I don't mean in a romantic way, I hope you know). I'm happy that he is so encouraging and supportive of you. I am sure he is very proud of you.

Lucinda - Interesting how you are involved with both ends of life on this earth...birth/babies and death!

Karen31- Glad you're still enjoying the book excerpts. I'm finished with the other one so it will be just 100 Days of Weight Loss from now on. Too bad I haven't been compliant with the suggestions all the time, I'd might have actually lost some weight by now!! The way it is I'm still up and down. Sunday my weigh in day I was up a few pounds, lost them again and then yesterday I was up again and today I'm down one. I've been eating some cashews each day so maybe partly its the sodium. But I am certainly not making any headway.

Last edited by maryea; 08-22-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #273  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Gals. We're home again. We were at DS#2's place for a few days doing a bit of work around his house (at least DH was, lol). We're going back again this weekend and the beginning of next week to install a tub wall kit. This is what we'd planned on doing during this little excursion but alas those big box stores that promise you the world with merchandise were all out of everything we needed. Finally, found a tub surround kit but couldn't find the faucets/shower head/taps. Lot's of really expensive stuff but anything that was on sale or in a respectable price range was either gone or no good. You never see anyone waiting for anything on those DIY shows...sigh...

So that's were I've been.

I took an awful pain in my left knee this afternoon. I was pulling weeds (the only truly productive plant in my yard) this morning and must have leaned too much on the knee. Just out of the blue while I was walking to my car I got this awful pain. Must have been bone on bone. Anyhoo, I iced it and now it's feeling much better but now my right foot is really hurting. I now have my right foot sitting on an ice pack. Good thing it's a warm day. Oh, well it spared me from helping DH clean the car (a silver lining if ever there was one).

Lynn, I do hope your DD is soon on the mend.

Last night I also got rid of all the ice cream in my house. I ATE IT!!! It's gone now.

Must run on that note (not actually, as everything is out of working order). Take care. xoxoxo
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #274  

100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (summarized by me)
Food is an instant fix

Without a doubt, food provides a reliable instant fix esp in our culture of fast food and microwaves. We almost never need to wait even for whatever we crave and can usually get almost instant relief.

Food also provides a great source of entertainment. It's easy to get into just eating whenever we are bored or restless. Eating provides a great way to procrastinate, esp when faced with something we don't want to do or we feel exhausted or emotionally worn down. Eating seems to take less effort.

The next time identify what you don't feel like doing. Then remind yourself...the task will be there after I finish my food so I might as well go ahead and do it. Begin looking for healthier ways to manage your avoidance and leave food out of the picture.

Last edited by maryea; 08-22-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #275  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy...It's still booming and raining in thick sheets. Has nothing to do with Isaac.....gest, what's with the I storms. Last year I had you all singing good night Irene. The forecasters first had Isaac hitting somewhere between Canjun, NC and Canada. Now they are saying as of 5pm South Fl, East coast of Fl, or missing Fl and heading for Cajun's world. You will be sick of the predictions because of the Rep Connvention start in Tampa and reporters will beat the horse to death.

Marie...The green cast is lovely but I think the blue cast was more her color.

Carol Sue...I like 50 Shades, too. Read the trilogy and got bored with the naughty stuff
and skimmed those parts.

Cajun...Start tying down stuff Isaac is maybe perhaps should be coming.

Donna...Was about to fire off an email for you to restart stretching and you wrote you were doing them. So sorry you're hurting.

Lynn...Good Girl. Sounds like you are stepped up and got yourself back in charge.

Gayle....So now you know the rest of the story. C-pap does help.

Rie...Which kid won the blue?

Isabella....Welcome back.

Karen and Bobbi....hugs

Played bridge today and did okay. Came in 4th. There are a couple of players who don't understand dubplicate bridge and make bids that screw up the game and everyone's scores. One pair did a really illegal bid and screwed me up big time. I stayed nice, but wanna to ripe off their faces. Then they said they are getting ready to play in tournament next month. OMG they will be chewed up and spit out.

I am sure I missed some but am getting to the point where with sundown my mind slips away....hugs if I forgotcha.....k3
Old 08-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #276  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, just a quick check in - all from memory - keep in mind I'm a GG and blonde. Not a winning combo lately. Anyway...

Isabella on the weeds being the most productive plans. Gawd that was funny. Weeds are the only think Bambi won't eat here so they're quite bushy.

Karen3, gotta agree with you on the blue versus green cast for Blizzie. Her eyes are blue so the blue was more appropriate. She does send Dash her love and said to take cover during the storms.

Rie, you do have an interesting life. Your secretary, is she the one that lost her mom on the way to a cruise? If I'm remembering that right, tell her an anonymous friend (me) is keeping her in my thoughts.

Donna, I envy you those Wednesday days off. Oh, I'd love those. Monday, Tuesday, Thursdays and Fridays off would be good too. Just as long as my paycheck was deposited into my account on paydays.

Cajun, your DH sounds like a sweeting. Just hide the magazine when you're at goal.

Mary, why don't you drive across the bridge to the lovely state of Oregon and pay no sales tax? Since we live just north of the CA border, the number of CA license plates is amazing. I love not having sales tax.

OK, my memory bank has been deleted. Work is busy, busy, busy with cranky people but I'm being little miss cheery. I think it irritates people. Just makes me cheerier.
Marie
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #277  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

One day down ~ two more to go. Got to hug on my peeps tonight ~ Sara, Maddie and Corbin. Made my day.

My C-pap came The place it comes from is in the same building as the branch of the bank where DD Sara works. She picked it up for me. They showed her all about how to work it. What an awesome daughter. After I got home, she came over and showed me what they had showed her.

Off to bed now ~ hope you all rest well. Hope your various aching parts quit aching so you can be comfortable.

Take care
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #278  

Height: 5'1"

'Morning gg's

I was supposed to work yesterday but ended up not working. Got the first 8 hours off and then got a call saying that they needed me at 3 and could I come in early. Took a shower, got dressed, fixed something to eat, and the phone rang again. sorry, don't need you. I guess a late call is better than no call. Didn't do much the rest of the day, but at least didn't have to go to work. I'm trying to do some cleaning, especially the basement. It's such a mess with all the kids toys everywhere. Toys that they have long outgrown but still don't want to part with. I really slept well last night. Making up for not sleeping well the night before. I was up untill 3 but finally got to sleep. At 5 they called me and gave me L/C. At 6:45 I woke up and jumped out of bed and told my husband I was late for work. He had to tell me they had called me at 5. It took me a few minutes to remember. I guess I was just half asleep when they called.

Lynn, So sorry that DD is still not doing well. You are right about the guilt thing though. But try to remember that if you don't take care of yourself, you won't be there to take care of your DD. They tell you to put the oxygen on yourself first,if there is trouble on the plane. if you pass out there is no one there to take care of the kids.

Karen3, You must be so proud of your son. 3 books! I think he will love his birthday gift.

Rie, Our job description gets stretched all the time doesn't it? Rousting people off the lawn is one thing I haven't done yet. But i'm not finished, so it could happen. I have had to throw out a few drunks though. And you know how fun it is trying to deal with them.

Isabella, Glad to see you back. how is the knee and foot feeling now?

Carol Sue, That recipe sounds good. Makes me wish I liked cheese.

Karen31, are you still working out on the WII? It quit talking to you?

Gayle, I hope the new C-pap helps. My brother has one and it has made a lot of difference in the way he feels.

Cajun, Your husband is really appreciating the new you.

Ginger, Hope the baby is doing ok.

Marie, I liked the other cast too, but I'm sure Miss B wanted a change. You know us ladies don't like to wear the same thing all the time.

freda

Last edited by the slim me; 08-23-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #279  

Good morning! It's another beautiful day! I didn't go to the gym..dh went fishing and I am babysitting this afternoon so decided to sleep in and then get my housework done before the kiddies come over. They keep me pretty busy anyway. I did really well on my plan yesterday and my weight dropped back down to where it was before the company came, so happy about that.

Freda - Glad you got some time off. Working is so hard. I know some really love to work...I enjoyed some aspects but I love being retired much more. So much less stress. If you want it I hope you can get there too.

Glynne - I'm glad you now have your C-pap again and such a nice dd too!! I am really enjoying having a dd nearby now. She lives in Portland but if the traffic is not bad it's only about 15 min away. We don't go there often but she is over here about once a week and we talk by phone and text a lot. Just knowing she's so close makes me feel good.

Marie - That's such a good idea about going to Portland to shop....wish I'd thought of it in time. Too late now as it's engraved already. I don't know why I didn't think of it as we often do shop in OR for bigger, more expensive items. I'm just not much of a shopper...I tend to go in grab and run out but I really should have done that for this gift. I just hope he likes it..if he does it's worth the cost, but who knows I might have found something better in Clackamas or downtown Portland. Just wasn't thinking. I don't like to drive downtown myself but occasionally go to Clackamas or more rarely Lloyd Center.

Last edited by maryea; 08-23-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #280  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Just a quick post!!! Karen3--Thinking of you and stay safe!!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #281  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle - Glad you got your new C-Pap. Is it a different style from your old one? I use mine faithfully, although sometimes I move around so much at night that the mask doesn't want to stay in place. Did you ever go back and get re-tested to see if your C-Pap needs to be adjusted? I thought about that. They never told me to do that, but it would makes sense that your needs could change after a period of time. DH says I don't snore or wake up gasping for breath anymore, but I still have trouble staying asleep.

Maryea - Good for you, getting the weight back in line! Sometimes having company just throws your diet off a bit.

Karen3- Stay dry!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #282  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all!

My big work project is finished and tomorrow I plan on catching up on what I have been putting off. The fires continue to surround us but are staying over 60 miles away. Our mountains are hidden in a haze, although I did see one that is to the northwest this morning. It was just the outline but I know I still live in the mountains.

Freda, glad you got the day off. My sister used to work in a hospital and days she was pull called, she still got a nifty stipend. Do you get that? BTW, Miss B also agrees changing outfits is good but she wants to go naked.

Mary, I've been to Lloyd center but alas it was closed. I get up too early in the morning and it was when my grand daughter was in Doernbechers so I didn't go back. Seemed like a yucky area.

Hi to everyone else since my memory is shot.
Marie
Old 08-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #283  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi Goldens!

Just a quick post from me tonight. It is 945 and I have just settled down to put my feet up for a while. I have been on the go since early this morning. Work was pretty crazy and I headed to the store to pick up supplies tonight and packed everything up. In the morning, I just have to gas up, hook up the trailer, and head down the road.

I am heading out for the mountains tomorrow. This trip is a grown-up weekend - no kiddos allowed. Tomorrow - after I get the camper towed in and set up - I will spend the day alone, reading and relaxing until my friends arrive in the evening. They are always telling me how much they appreciate my going up early. The truth is, it is wonderful time alone. No phones, computers, etc.

I am just too tired for personals tonight.

Back on sunday!

Rie
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #284  

Marie - Lloyd Center has good stores but you're right the surrounding area is not so good and some of that element can get into the mall esp the parking area. My dh used to work there part-time as a maintenance man. If I'm driving I'd rather go to Clackamas (abt 30 miles away from me I'd guess) . Our local mall doesn't seem so nice anymore....and then there is that tax thing..

From 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle

Most of the time we don't really intend to do emotional eating. It's just that we are bored, lonely, stressed, angry or upset. anxious, afraid. We try to fix our problems with food. And it does work for a while. Food can be a security blanket at parties or social gatherings...you can hide behind the plate of snacks. It can boost confidence.

Food works but when misused it can also harm your weight and health. Eventually food can become your best friend, the only way you know to fix your problems. Take a look at your eating struggles. Do you feel out of control around food? Do you wish you had some other ways to manage your challenges? If you're hooked into using food to fix your emotional needs, it's time to change the pattern and learn new ways to handle these areas of your life.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #285  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Closed Thread