Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #331  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Maryea - I keep a personal record of my bloodwork back to year 2000. I can readily see that in 2011 when I was exercising 5 hours per week, my numbers were unbelievably great. After my 2 surgeries back to back I quit exercising and have seen such a big change in my numbers....for the worst! I am physically well enough to get back to exercising like I did before, but not mentally. Can't get back in the groove. I do it sporadically at best. Being able to see with my own eyes that the only thing that changed in my life is the exercise, I should be straining at the bit to get back to it and improve my health. Don't ya think???

Bobbi - Since you are big on freezing your apples etc, I have a question about zucchini. When I have really big zucchinis I bake 2 loaves of bread and freeze the rest of the shredded zucchini in 2 cup portions for future use. When I take it out to use, it is filled with ice, and therefore has too much water content. If I make bread with it, it is edible, but it tends to sink down in the middle and is not as good as the bread made from the fresh zucchini. Also, after the zucchini defrosts, the volume is much less than 2 cups. I was told by someone else that I'm not squeezing out enough of the liquid. Would that help make my bread turn out better? Or should I be freezing it in a different manner to eliminate some of the ice forming? I am ready to quit freezing it because I am disappointed with the way it turns out.

Karen3 - I will be down for dinner! I would love the pork butt. However, the only pork DH will eat is boneless pork loin chops, cooked in sauerkraut. He's picky. When I make it for him, I add a couple country ribs for me. One time we went to a party where they were serving pulled pork made from pork butt. To get him to eat it, I told him it was bar-b-que shredded beef. He ate it and never knew the difference.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #332  

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick post to say howdy this am. The kids should be here around noon. I'm making mac and cheese for them (homemade that my son really likes), salad and probably another green veggie just in case they eat it. They don't eat salad. Of course snickerdoodles (his favorite cookie) are dessert. Can't wait to see the kids but I wish he'd stop referring to the little one as hurricane Noah! Have load in the washer and still need to remake our bed after changing sheets. Todays the day I clean the bedrooms but got a lot of it done yesterday so not too much today. My bs was 187 this am but not surprised since I went over one carb yesterday. I burned three cookies so I just had to eat them, can't waste a thing you know...but since they were burned I only ate the tops. Slmn11 you can do it, I know you can. Lets both do it!!

Glynne and whoever else commented on frames - Yes I'm sure I can find some frames at Goodwill or a garage sale. Just haven't had time to get out there and look. Maybe after the kids leave. I also think I may have some stored away with pics in them.

Gotta run, much to do before they get here.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #333  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Chicks - I’m trying to get things organized before my shoulder surgery on Friday. My husband and I are going to have to switch sides of the bed - we did after my left shoulder surgery and now will change back for my right side surgery. I kind of like where I am now and that got me thinking - Have you ladies always slept on the same side? As we changed bedrooms (and had surgery!) we’ve changed sides but I've been mostly on the left. I’ll be closer to the bathroom now! Is this weird? Yeah. Oh well.

Mary - LOL about the second vegetable “in case they eat it.” And LOL about Hurricane Noah! We used to refer to older son as “Sybil” - the character Sally Field played that had Multiple Personality Disorder - because of his moods. Still do occasionally. I also said the boys and DH were “excruciatingly active” not to be confused with clinical hyper activity. One of them actually did turn out to be hyperactive in the clinical sense of the word. The energy of little boys - and girls - if only we could bottle that.

Carole Sue - “straining at the bit” to exercise - not me either. The best I can do is get myself there and feel extremely good after it’s over.

Cajun - sorry the hurricane is heading toward you. Hope it slows down to a lower category. It’s hard to not have our chicks under our wings anymore. Your son is an honorable man. I hope the company he’s working for is just as honorable by making everything as safe as possible. Prayers for you all.

Gayle - I hope your headache goes away. The only time (knock wood) that I had a headache that wouldn’t go away, I needed to take a decongestant. I guess it was sinus related for me. Sounds like you’ve tried everything though. Feel better.

Bobbi - My husband has big table saws and stuff. I agree - don’t hurt your back. Once one of those discs starts bulging….I think the problem is, our muscles stay strong enough to lift things but the other parts are aging. My husband didn’t stop lifting/carrying/moving things until the damage was done. Me too. I have a small protruding disc and the ortho doc says, if I am a very good girl it might get a little better but once it becomes a large bulging disc the only cure is back surgery. It's been about 4 years.

Mary and Carole Sue - I have had to be off my Metformin for 3 days in preperation for my surgery on Friday. To top it all off, DS’s GF was over and she and I LOVE chocolate. She is a skinny young thing who exercises her head off. So they brought in M&Ms - crack cocaine to me! Needless to say, my blood sugar is 120 this morning. I guess I have to be off the metformin because they don’t want me to get low blood sugar due to not eating from midnight until after surgery. Good luck with your bs. I so regret falling off the wagon but it was sooo good. Really stupid though since I’m off the med.

Carole Sue - I think your diet changes of low fat and little eating at night definitely helped your acid reflux. And I really know about eating too much of the healthy stuff to lose weight! It’s so unfair. Especially as I got older I found I have to really cut portion size (and carbs and calories.)

Donna - did the IT guy get your comp working or are you perfecting your Bejeweled skills?

Bobbi - one of my favorite childhood memories is of my grandmother standing at the stove making gravy with her wooden spoon. She could make the best gravy out of anything. We called her wooden spoon magic. She also had a treadle sewing machine. She was amazing. I remember her using the washing machine that you cranked the clothes through before you hung them up to dry. She lived to be 95 years old.

Rie - OH my goodness. That was scary. The bear spray sounds like a good thing. If you're sitting with the bear spray and the gun in your lap, that would deter them! Remember “Thelma and Louise?” Would that make you Thelma or Louise? Just be careful, Louise.
Gotta go run some errands. Hugs to all!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Row Row Row your Boat
Gently down the stream
Go away Issac
Never to be seen

Good night Irene worked last year so gonna start with an Issaac song for Cajun k3
Old 08-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #335  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Guess we need to make this a Round robin song!

Row Row Row your Boat
Gently down the stream
Go away Issac
Never to be seen

Stay safe Cajun
Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #336  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Joining right in:

Row Row Row your Boat
Gently down the stream
Go away Issac
Never to be seen

Stay safe Cajun
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #337  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Joining right in:

Row Row Row your Boat
Gently down the stream
Go away Isaac
Never to be seen

Stay safe Cajun

Last edited by jess1; 08-29-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

HI
Just a quickie while we still have power. Been thinking of you Cajun, I'm up North in Monroe but am still preparing for outages out here in the country. Though actually DH and I will be headed back to my DD's early in the morning about 45 min. from our home to care for our 2 baby grandson's again. They are making my DD come into work-storm or no, although babycare and schools are closing. While I live on top of a hill we get flooding in these parts off the river, lakes and Bayou's all around us. Monroe-is flat and we went thru a bad flood that took 3 lives 24 yrs ago. I'm worried about DD driving in through a flat area- but not as much as for her husband. Thank God she can't get television and hasn't been watching first responders in South Louisiana like I have , My DH , DS and I have been caring for the baby all week as DD works because her husband was called up in the national Guard. We haven't worried because well- he was there for Katrina, gulf oil spill, Haiti, & 2 tours of Afganastan-so waht could a cat one do? He called from Plaqamaine parish earlier today & Told DD it's just rain. Now , yep , just rain-tons of it- He's one of those first responders risking his life to pull idiots that stayed behind out of flooded homes. I'm not telling Kate- she's got enough with the babies not to add to her worry.

DH and DD son have been trading off driving me to Kate's and helping me babysit ( OK-They fetch and carry for me, I feed, diaper and entertain.) So when we get home around 6PM ( up at 5AM) we eat and fall in bed early. In a Hr I'll be asleep. I came here because for the 1st time I am craving something sweet to comfort my fears. I choose not to do that. I haven't been able to exercis or get all my water in this week- I refuse to go over my calorie count-but wow I sure would like to. Instead- a hot bath and bed awaits. I ate dinner I'm not hungary - sugar will not take the concern away. When all this Isaac stuff is over-I'll be back- At least all my loved ones over 3 state coastlines are now all up here I can rest easy about them and when DD get's day off maybe I can catch up with them.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #339  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone! Hope my attempt at following your example is okay.

First of all..just for you

Row Row Row your Boat
Gently down the stream
Go away Issac
Never to be seen

Deelee - Thanks for your comment on my signature quote..it was something my mum used to say as well!
When it comes to the changing side of the bed, I remember I unwittingly did that and wondered why I wasn't sleeping til I realised it just didn't suit me being on the other side..strange that!

Jess - 61 days over 90!! Don't think I would be able to stand that. Just had a few days in the 80s and that was enough for me.

Cajunlady - How heart wrenching knowing your son is in such a predicament. I do hope that he continues to be safe.
Weather problems are terrible for you..watching Isaac on TV looks terrible. Hope you are okay.

Riemontana - How scary for you. What a shame it spoilt your U-time!
I found a hobo sleeping in the communal hallway here the other night...gave me a real fright. Telephoned the police but they really were not in the least bit interested. Only wanted me to go out and see if he was injured... 5am in the morning and me a disabled pensioner in my nightie! .. May well have scared him come to think of it..lol!

Maryea - Db is an awful thing to deal with. Hope you are okay now but real scary when readings hit the ceiling. Thankfully my Db is just diet controlled.

Kare3 - Your baby son at 50... Strange how our children never grow up isn't it? Mine are nearing their 60s and I still can't believe it!..I don't want to get OLD!

Bobbi - Uncomplicating ones life is an ongoing project isn't it? Hope you managed to get some of the things away. I've been trying to do the same thing for many a year but just never get round to it!!

Hope you all have a safe and interesting day ladies.
Take care

Emm

Just to add my day hasn't been the best. I woke with my back in absolute agony and have spent most of the day in bed with a hot water bottle. Feeling much better now thank goodnes but it hasn't helped much with my dieting as on these occasions I just have to grab what I can from the fridge and make do with snacking.
Always tomorrow...Worse things at sea..as my mum used to say!

Last edited by emaline29; 08-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #340  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Chiming in for Cajun

Row Row Row your Boat
Gently down the stream
Go away Issac
Never to be seen

Stay safe Cajun
Old 08-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #341  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Row Row Row your Boat
Gently down the stream
Go away Issac
Never to be seen

And stay out of PA, too! One time we got heavy rain after a hurricane in the Gulf area and it dropped sand in our driveway! It was hard to believe, but where else could the sand have come from?

Stay safe Cajun, Ginger, and anyone else in that area! It is all very scary.

Dee - I have had to quit taking Metformin before some medical procedures because it interacts with contrast dye and can cause kidney damage. Might be the same case for you. I hope your surgery goes well.

Before I got married I slept on the right side, but when I got married I had to switch to the left because I had moved into DH's house and he was already established on the right. When we went to Las Vegas he went to bed before me and got in on the left side. When I came to bed I had to make him switch because I could not fall asleep with him on my left.

Emmaline - I see the numbers on your ticker are very close to mine. A couple pounds and you will be under 200! That was such an event for me! The bad thing is, I fought so hard to get those last couple pounds off to go under 200 and then once I got there I seemed to have laxed off. I am determined not to go back over, but I have lost my drive to get more off, and I really need to!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #342  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quick drop in before I get my roots done!

Row row row your boat
Gently down the stream
Go away Isaac
Never to be seen.

Hope all our friends in the storm areas are safe!
ttyl
Old 08-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #343  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Ginger - are you in danger from Isaac, too? We'll add you to the chant.... Be safe!

Dee - you're having your shoulder surgery soon? Good thoughts!

Hope all are well!! Off to hammer some boulders.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #344  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello my special friends,
We are all ok. Caught alot of wind, rain and lost power. We are back up and running. I will never complain about the utility bill again after buying gas for the generators. I hope this is the last storm. It's heading north. Hope any of you in its path are ok. Thank y'all for the prayers. Loved the Lil song. Put a smile on my face. We are going check on the camps. I will get to personals later. Thanks again

Hugs
Cajun
Old 08-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #345  

Height: 5'3"

Another quick post before Princess Claire comes over. She is spending the night. The others are going to their brothers (our oldest son) and may spend the night, not sure. We've had a great time with them. Hope to get some house work done today, but it's not in too bad shape considering. We spent a lot of time outdoors yesterday. I did pretty well with my eating..probably going over a bit but basically maintained weight so far. The little ones are really responding well to us.
Closed Thread