Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #346  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Two pictures of my drenched roses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1311 (640x480).jpg (56.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1312 (480x640).jpg (60.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #347  

Height: 5'3"

Good Saturday everyone! I'm alone today again. We were going to Sat Market this am and then fishing this afternoon but the weather was not nice enough for me so we spent the morning here at home and then the boys went fishing. They were anxious to try some new bait today as they didn't catch anything yesterday and I couldn't see sitting for two or more hours (probably more) on a rock or in the car by myself. I think it will get warmer before long but I still didn't care for it plus I have other things to do like planning meals and grocery shopping. We had a nice time last night watching a couple shows and gs fell asleep othe floor. Tonight we are going to a buffet restaurant so he can have his choice of a lot of food. He's a good eater...never complains. Each of my gc are different about food...some are very picky others not. Most eat very healthy, but a couple (maybe three as haven't seen my youngest gs but his dad eats terrible) eat way too much junk. Their father is the only one of my four kids that doesn't eat healthy.

Bobbi - I love your roses! You have beautiful land I notice in all the pictures. I'm thinking about making a trellis with roses just off our patio which we would walk through going out to our backyard. The Kindle can hold 1500 books as I remember and no, I do not notice any slowing down using it. Crashing I don't know but I haven't had any problem and I've had mine about a year I guess. And yes, I have deleted the books after I read them, so far nothing I've wanted to keep but it's your option unless you are borrowing them. I love my Kindle because there are so many free books for it...not sure there are as many free ones for the Nook or iPad.

I ate well calorie-wise yesterday but my weight was up a little today...I think I got too much sodium...the potato soup and I also had one serv of popcorn.
Have to be careful about having more than one salty thing a day.

Karen31 - Must be fun fixing up your back yard now! I look forward to seeing the pictures! What I want to do in our back yard...plant more flowers, lay some stepping stones with names of children and grandchildren on them going from patio to garden probably, a rose trellis as I mention above and a new shed.

Karen3 - Glad gummy bears are working for you! I'd probably end up eating them and forget about using them for bait. I love anything sweet and cinnomy.

Rie - I didn't know about mushrooms and gout either, but in the past they always used to say rich foods caused it. That's why they used to refer to it as the "King's Disease." Dh used to have bad attacks but hasn't had one in many years. Stress often brings on attacks and often he would get them before or during a trip, got one when his dad died and he flew back to Manila etc. In nursing you frequently see a gout attack after surgical trauma. Also Filipinos tend to be predisposed to gout for some reason. We couldn't tell about foods and doctor never advised a change in diet as I remember but he's been on Allopurinol for years and I can't even remember his last attack, it's been so long. I hope your ds is better soon as I know a gout attack is very painful.

That's all for now...Hi to all I missed! You all have a good weekend!

Last edited by maryea; 05-26-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 99.1/96.9/75 Kgs

Height: 165cm

Here I am again - sorry I have been missing but my eyes have stopped me from looking at the computer - everything is all blurry.

During this time I have lost any motivation I had and the weight has gone on again. I have decided to give the South Beach diet a go. What does anybody know about this way of dieting? as I have never tried this before.

Thanks.

Jenye.

Last edited by Ashenpond; 05-26-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #349  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Lovely Ladies,

Nothing much going on this weekend. It's been wet and cool here. I wanted to get outside and walk yesterday but every time I put my walking shoes on it started raining again. Not that hard, I could have taken a umbrella, but just easier to stay inside. I was kind of tired anyway, after working Friday. It could have been a good day, but we just had so much Drama at work! I can deal with the work, Please leave the drama out of it! You would think that grown, older women would act a little more mature. I guess maturity does not always come with age. Finally found a washer. Glad that's taken care of. I hate spending money on necessities. HA! Don't know what happened last night, I really over ate! Don't usually do that. I guess it wasn't too bad. It was late and I doing that look in the cabinet, look in the pantry, there's got to be something in here I want. Looked in the fridge and took another BBQ's chicken beast.

Mary, I know you're enjoying your time with your DGS. I guess LoLo wanted a little more bonding time. And I still read to My DGS and he's 12 too. Last time he spent the night we were both reading Hunger Games and I read that to him. They are never too old to want special attention.

Marie, I just stopped complaining about the weather when I saw your pictuers. Burrrr. Have fun on your bike ride. Girl, you must have some toned legs!

Gayle, I am so proud of you! You are doing so well. I made brownies last week too, didn't have even one. and they had extra walnuts, just like I like them. Hard to resist, you deserve extra credit for that.

Liliwinsit, Welcome. Look forward to getting to know you.

Rie, Sorry the camping trip got cancled. I know you were looking forward to it. Di you win a lot of money at the poker game? Sorry DS has had a flair up of Gout. I know it is really painful. Was he taking the usualy drugs and they aren't working? What new one did they put him on? Haven't seen any new ones come through the hospital lately. I'm not sure what foods you aren't supposed to have, I really haven't looked it up inawhile, but i'm sure you have. Hope he, and you, get some relief soon.

Carol Sue, Really frustrating to plant something and have all that hard work go for nothing. I guess someone else really like collards too.

Karen, Congrats for getting rid of your little friend. Hope he is gone for good. Now, if the company was as easily gotten rid of!

Karen31, Pool or hot tub? big decision. I think I'd go for both. Maybe one now and one later?

Bobbi, The sweet potato fries with marshmellow cream? I'm still trying to figure out if that sounds good or not. Sorry you didn't enjoy your Bday dinner more. I hate going out and not enjoying the meal. DH hates going and and we don't go often, so when we do I want to really enjoy it. Love the roses on the trellis. I hate to find a new climbing rose. My old one died. Actually DH (and this time I don't mean darling or dear) killed it. It was a Don Juan and had lovely blooms.

Donna, Hope everything is OK at your house and you aren't working too hard.

Isabella, How are you?

I miss you Z. I know you're getting used to being retired but come around and visit occasionally,

Jenye, What kind of problem are you having with your eyes? Sorry. I can't help you with the South Beach diet, I just count calories. But i'm pretty sure there is a SB thread on here somewhere. Good luck.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 05-27-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #350  
Empress/Queen

Talking

Good morrow, all! Jenye, the South Beach diet is great, IMA. It is similiar to the old Sugar Busters diet that I stayed on with my own modifications for years and felt wonderful. Sorry, I can't find thy specific postie to know what you were asking about, just had to put my oar in.

To all, apologies for lack o' personals in this postie but am still gettin' to know folkettes in these two groups (this and the 2012 challenge).

I have a lifelong habit of brunch on Sundays as that is what my family did and so I always do my Sunday weigh-ins just before I start the brunch or if I go out to eat, before I leave. So hanging around, had a lovely walk already. It is SO unseasonably cool here in central AZ and loving it. Do love the heat but it is nice here right now. The cool weather is perkin' moi up.

Anyway, woot!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #351  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Sunday, All...
I'm enjoying this nice weekend! The weather cooperated yesterday, and we might get some moisture today and tomorrow. Suits me fine. The green is very green; the flowers and trees are lush, and I'm enjoying this interlude before the hated heat arrives.

Freda - I always enjoy your posts. You're just so very calm...

Jenye - welcome! I used the South Beach plan several years ago and did lose quite a bit; however, be prepared for the potential to regain very quickly. (I guess I should qualify that with: IMO!) It's such a low carb plan that when you go back to carbs, if you do, you'll balloon. It has to become a lifestyle of low carb, to maintain the weight loss. The weight loss/weight maintenance is never ending, isn't it?

Bobbi - did your roses perk up? I love the archway trellis... very pretty!

Just thought I'd better check in... watched a couple of movies yesterday ("Descendants"... very good! and something else I had saved on the DVR). I suppose I should do something constructive with this long weekend, yes?

Hope all is well with all of you! Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 05-27-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #352  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

Sorry that I didn't make it here yesterday. The day just got away from me. I enjoyed the poker tourney even though I didn't win. Good times, good food, wine. All good. We didn't get around to smores though, so ds and I will do them tomorrow night. I simply cannot have a holiday weekend without my smores!

The weather is showing signs of clearing here - of course it will be time to go back to work soon. We are doing a family barbeque and card party at my aunts tonight.

I haven't gotten any bites on my camper yet because I haven't really done anything. I have done a lot of research and I know what it will cost to get set up to pull it. Today, I am going to make a flyer and put it up on craigs list and a couple of thrifty nickel papers around here. A friend is going to move it for me tomorrow so that it is out by the road where it can be seen.

Ds's gout is almost subsided and he is starting on the meds tomorrow. He is taking alopurinol and another med to help him tolerate it. At 30, he has moderately high bp and apparently they have to treat that so he can take the alop... Always something. He inherited this from my dad and his father. Apparently, lots of the foods on a low carb lifestyle are bad for gout. Who knew?

Marie, I am looking forward to your pictures and tales of your adventures. pats and cookies to the pack from me.

Donna, I loved the Descendents. Great movie and one can never go wrong spending a couple hours watching George.

Karenfl, oh, you crack me up with your animal adventures! Gummy Bears I think you should call Billy the Exterminator over in Louisiana and let him know.

Bobbi, that archway is just beautiful! I love my kindle fire. Some books I delete and some I keep. If you just hold your finger on a book cover, a little menu pops up that allows you to delete it or move it off the carosel. Apparently, they don't slow down as the memory fills like a computer.

Freda, eating an extra barbeque chicken breast is not much of an over eating episode. Sometimes we are just hungry! I agree with you - I have always been the reading granny and auntie.

Hi Jenye, I don't know much about south beach but it is a popular plan.

Karen, I think a pool and hot tub is a great idea. Best of both worlds. Maybe both?

Amarantha, enjoy brunch! Good thoughts on the weigh in.

Gayle, your brownie victory is so cool! Way to go.

Carol, sorry about losing your plants to creatures! Darn things. I have started really considering the cost of produce verses the cost of farmers markets. That's why I am still growing cukes and tomatoes and not much else

Isabella, I hope you are having a good weekend. I am sure that you are busy today with church functions.

Mary, I laughed when I read about you not going fishing in the cold weather and the boys desire to try out their new bait. Sure wish I was fishing this weekend.

I think I got everyone.... Sorry if I missed you. Off to get some things done.

Rie

Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #353  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bobbi - Love the roses and trellis.

I remember when you were telling someone that you lost all your weight with diet....never exercise. But all the work you do around the house and in your garden, plus all the work you did with your daughters kitchen is physical labor, so yes, you do exercise...just not formal exercise.

I never ate greens at all, but I tried swiss chard a few weeks ago and I loved it. I noticed collard greens were cheaper in the store, so now I bought some to try to see if I like them as much as I like the swiss chard. The critter only ate 1 of 4 plants. Actually, the plant is still there...he just ate the leaves off. I don't know if it will get more leave or not. DH put a box trap nearby but 2 night and he hasn't caughy anything, and no more nibbling. The critters don't usually come this close to the house, but we have had a baby groundhog around lately that hasn't yet learned his place is up on the hill. LOL One year we had trouble with racoons who were coming right down to the back porch. I think one was rabid...it came all the way up onto the deck in broad daylight! I thought it was an awfully big cat. DH trapped them and took them far, far away. I don't mind them living on the hill. We actually feed them scraps of produce etc, and rarely see them down here in the yard.

Rie - My BIL has gout and the things that bother him are fatty meats such as pork, and beer. He won't stay away from either. I think the meat is the reason why the low carb diet is bad for gout.

I have a question for you Kindle or Nook readers. Does anyone have one that doesn't get glare in the sun? My Pandigital is impossible to read in sunlight. If it ever breaks I am going to look for something that doesn't get the glare. I know someone makes them and it would be worth paying the extra money to get one.

I have never bought an e-book. Most of mine are from the library and are deleted when I finish them. I did get a few free books from Barnes and Noble when I first got the e-reader and the only one I didn't delete after reading was one about low carb dieting. I refer to it once in a while. I have saved the site Maryea posted and will go back and take a look at it later. I don't know if they can be downloaded to a Pandigital tablet.

We haven't had any rain since I planted and transplanted all those plants. It's a pain going out and watering all of them. It would be nice if God would do it once in a while. I guess he's busy with more important things!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #354  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Rie - not only are you a GOOD person, but you're also helpful! I've had Kindle for PC for years and have never been able to figure out how to get rid of a book... I've googled the question in endlessly-varied constructions, all to no avail.... that is, until your comment in passing to right click on a title. Eureka! My offensive book is GONE. I worried that someone would find it after I die and would think ill of me (LOL).

For those of you who haven't seen this elsewhere, enjoy!! It's wonderful!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_v7QrIW0zY

Gracias, amiga!

Last edited by jess1; 05-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #355  

S/C/G: 306/253/205

Height: 5' 10"

Default Busy Week

Hello everyone, boy has it been a busy week around here. Our new kitchen countertops arrived and were installed, and holes for sink and stovetop were cut... the counter tops look great. The new sink hole was cut for the new sink before hubby realized that the drains were not in the same place as the old ones. So we made 2 trips back and forth to Home Depot to try and get a sink with the right hook ups, finally got one. He was not impressed We had to wait another 2 days for the gas fitter man to come and put in the gas line and connect the new gas stovetop. WOW is it nice to have instant on and instant off when you cook!

We have spent the last ten days cooking out on the patio on a 2 burner electric oven (antique type convection oven).

I'm still slowly adding food back into my eating plan and my body is not reacting adversely to anything yet, so I am feeling confident that in three weeks I can move on to other foods.

My blood sugars are staying very good and (no insulin for almost 3 months now) I'm still taking metformin.

We went out to hear a Charlie Pride Concert, it was an early Fathers Day surprise for DH from me! He wanted to go have Chinese Buffet on the way to the show, and I made wise food choices. Lots and lots of veggies, chicken leg, only 2 forks of chowmein, 2 spring rolls, 3 - 4 Tbsp sweet&sour sauce, soya sauce, and a bowl of wonton soup, water and Jasmine tea. Felt pretty proud of myself.

The nicest part of the whole evening was having my hubby tell me I looked pretty before we left the house... sniff, sniff, and then he took my hand as we drove and said those magic words again

Hope everyone had a happy and safe weekend!

Last edited by lilywinsit; 05-28-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #356  

Hi everyone. hope you all are having a great weekend. ive been so busy with the big BQ. we all had such agreat time.lots of work tho and im tired today. dd and sil helped clean up this am befor they headed home. and i gorked the rest of the day and had a nap. finished my book,the 1st in Fifty Shades of Gray. i had heard so much controversy over this book on the morning news shows etc that i was curious about it. im reserving judgement,but its deff different and not for some folks. i also finished the mirror and really liked it. i posted pictures on facebook of our party. ttfn rosey
Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #357  
Empress/Queen

Happy Memorial Day to all in the U.S. and Good Day to others in other place.

Apologies again for lack of personals as aching to get out in the glorious, unseasonably cool morning for a walk.

Just wanted to say that when I had a stand-alone Kindle it did have an option in there to remove book from device and that worked well. It continued to store the book as my property on Amazon. I have since fallen out of love with Amazon and just use iBooks.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #358  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I want a new avatar that represents exercise. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #359  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Carol Sue,

I typed exercise into the search bar and clicked on images, and it came up with a whole bunch of choices.

It will be fun to see what you come up with

One more day of work. Right now, I would rather just sit here. Oh well. It is sunny out

Be back tonight ~ hope you all have a nice day.

Last edited by glynne; 05-28-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #360  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'm burning sunlight, have 24 Petunias to put in. Home Depot had a good price on them yesterday. I wanted to make a couple of comments about the Kindle Fire. Thanks for telling me how to delete a book after I finish reading it Rie.

Lily...good job on the food choices.

Amarantha...tell me about the ibooks? I'm new about kindle and no instruction book.

Carol Sue...never thought of all my garden work as exercise, I guess it is. Good luck on the new avatar. They don't have much selection on 3 FF's.

Glynne...good old search bars, where would we be without it. I'm amazed my two older sisters don't have computers, I couldn't get along without it. Yesterday I googled homemade cake mixes. I used my last cake mix and need to have one on hand for last minute church/funeral request. (Hi church lady Isabella) In my newtight wad mode, I won't be buying any more mixes. I found a recipe that equals 3 cake mixes. Today after planting my flowers I'll put the mixes together. I also googled homemade pudding mixes. I don't think my mixes will have as low calories as the box mixes but close.
I told my DH last night that I was getting pretty frugal, he laughed and agreed.

Freda...the sweet potato fries tasted like sweet potato hot dish baked with marshmallow on top. I've never cared for them that sweet if eating with Thanksgiving dinner but these were awesome eating like dessert.

Mary...thanks, our yard is beautiful. We don't have much, only 1.25 acre but it's all in lawn, trees, flowers, garden. We both enjoy keeping it up, my DH's energy gets zapped the most because he does the lawn mowing. We have a rider but he still insist on mowing the immediate back yard with a hand mower. We have a free standing deck by our shade garden, didn't want it attached to the house. The area between the deck and house is what he hand mows and lots to mow around.

Jenye...good luck on the S.Beach diet. I tried it once but always go back to calories counting, works for me.

Rosey...I'll check out your photos as soon as I sign off here.

Donna...okay, fess up. What do you have on your kindle?
Quote:
Eureka! My offensive book is GONE. I worried that someone would find it after I die and would think ill of me (LOL).

I've gabbed much longer than I had time for...later gators.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 05-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Closed Thread