Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #211  

Height: 5'3"

I'm so behind again on the posts and know I won't be able to respond to them all but wanted check in as I have time this morning. I woke up really early and lay there wide awake for quite a while then finally got back to sleep. When I do that I'm sleepier when I do get up for some reason. But that is my first wakeful night since I went off the hot flash supplements and even then when I woke up in the night I didn't feel tired so know I am sleeping more soundly. Unfortunately We forgot to change our clocks so missed church this morning so we are just relaxing here at home.

Yesterday we went out for the towel rack and TP holder finally and Joe got them installed. While we were out we went to BestBuy and I got the iPad I've been wanting for a long time. I didn't realize it is more like a phone than a computer. That made me stop and think..I wasn't sure I could justify the purchase but I tried it for a few sweeps in the store and it seemed to work and I like the larger (than phone) screen so I decided to try it for my away from my desktop computer and for traveling. We facetimed with our youngest dd and gs yesterday and enjoyed that. I hated how old I looked though! Isn't it strange how we don't notice how we've aged and can sorta pretend we look younger than we really do until we are faced with it? I look really old when I see myself on my phone or ipad. My neck is so droopy, how in the world did it get that way?!!! I guess aging is still a mystery to me...we go on looking young for so long it seems then all of a sudden (it seems) we have to admit we look old. Logic tells me I am old enough to look old and I have never been a very vain person, but somehow it is still hard to face. I don't mind the number (age) but I hate the saggy skin! Oh, well it's life I guess..just sharing with my GGs, I don't usually talk to others like this.

Our company came right on time..called ahead to let us know where they were and everything...I love that! My lunch went well I think. Esp the teenager seemed to like it. We had a nice time together. It was the first time they had ever been here. My caramel cake turned out ok...the cake part was kind of dense, more like a cookie to me..and the caramel frosting was like candy (hard and could be broken off easily). I tried a piece at breakfast and took a couple small bites and through it out...too early in the am for something that sweet! Just wanted to see how it was. But I thought it would be good with vanilla ice cream and it was. Ice cream makes everything better. I think the cake was fine, just not the kind I typically like. However with ice cream, I did eat too much of it. We had four pieces left yesterday and we shared them to get rid of them. We still have some low-carb ice cream left. Dh won't let me throw it away but I'm thinking to just take out a little now and then and thow it away. Afterwall he'd let me eat it so what's the difference? It's not the best ice cream (the good stuff was eaten fast) but if it's in the house I will still eat it.

Bobbi - Sorry about your lemon tree...maybe it will be ok. I don't know anything about them. Would love to have one but think we don't get enough sunshine up here. If I lived where I could I'd like a lemon tree and a grapefruit tree. Several years ago a friend gave us grapefruit from their tree in So Cal and they were SO good! We've also had people down south give us lemons. The last winter we spent down south I made a lot of fresh lemonade.
Yummy! Here at home i never make it.

Auto - My dh was telling me about the beef "slime," but I didn't hear about it. I bought some ground beef (grass fed "organic" variety) before hearing this and haven't used it yet. My dh said he thought it was even true of the "organic" kind...is that true? I need to research it. What is wrong with it, why is it called slime? Beef is my favorite meat. I usually don't care for chicken and don't like to eat pork although I did it eat up until about 5 years ago. Talk about slime, from what I hear about how pigs' bodies work when they eat I can't stand the thought of it. And now beef? Guess soon I'll just be eating fish. Fortunately I do like salmon, some cod, halibut, talapia and occasionally some others.

Think I had some silver really early on in my marriage though don't remember how I got them. Don't think it was a full set and I hated cleaning them. Now the only silver I have are two or three pieces I got when my mom died. I never polish them, just keep them because they were hers. My only china is a pretty set my dh bought me when he was TDY on Okinawa, many years ago. I broke the platter, but the rest is all intact. Only use it on holidays.

I thought i had lost this post but just found it...LOL I'm really a ditz sometimes... So I will continue.

Deelee - I like Michael Connelly too. Don't think I've read the one you mentioned. Will check it out. Grisham I read now and then but am not as big a fan. I loved The Firm but everything after that was kind of downhill for me.
My dh is the same way about hiring people. Fortunately he is still pretty able to do things, but I'd like to see him not work so hard. I don't stop him though as want to keep him active (he's almost 77) but I do remind him to pace himself. I agree that it is overwhelming trying to pick out tile!! Just went through that recently and was thinking now we need to start on the other bathroom but I dread it. I would love belonging to a book club I think!!
The book you are reading sounds very good even though it is a probably a lot different than my usual reading, but that would be the good thing about a book club. It would force me to try other genres.

Rie - Glad you had a good day and good meal!

Marie - You already know about my iPad. I think I'm going to enjoy it. I was hoping it was more like a regular computer but it's all about apps and I understand why and afterall I'm used to that with my phone. I was hoping to be able to install my regular budget program but have to use the app. It's ok though, I still like it.

Just heard the sad news about the killing spree in Afganistan! So horrible and will really hurt us in the eyes of the world. But this is what we get when we send the guys back over and over again..it's a wonder more of this kind of thing doesn't happen! What big terrible problems are in our world today.

Well, I'm writing a book...better stop.

Deelee - I
Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #212  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning...I have errands to run in town today so I'll just check my mileage on the travel post and run. Sundays are really lazy days for me and I only got in about 5,000 miles. We visited MIL, she was in good form yesterday. No sooner did we get home before she called and wanted to know her mothers telephone number. (MIL will be 92 in July) I asked her how old she thought her mom was if she was 91? OH, you mean my mom's dead? Did I go to the funeral? How could I forget something like that? We go through this at least once a week. We've left a message at the nurses station that she can't call after 7:00pm. This is another reason I try to keep my mind active, my mom died of Alzheimer's and I'd rather fall over dead of a heart attack or something similar.
Mary...I guess any day we're on the top side of the grass is a good day, droopy skin and all. My neck still looks good, it's the laugh lines around my mouth that ages me. Botox is the only thing that could fill in those deep grooves and I'm not vain enough to do that.
Quote:
I look really old when I see myself on my phone or ipad. My neck is so droopy, how in the world did it get that way?!!! I guess aging is still a mystery to me...we go on looking young for so long it seems then all of a sudden (it seems) we have to admit we look old. Logic tells me I am old enough to look old and I have never been a very vain person, but somehow it is still hard to face. I don't mind the number (age) but I hate the saggy skin! Oh, well it's life I guess..just sharing with my GGs, I don't usually talk to others like this.
Have a great Monday everyone.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Maryea - I know how you feel looking in the mirror and seeing yourself age. I try to be happy that I lived long enough to see my neck droop, etc. In my immediate family, I have lived the longest reaching age 66. No one else lived past 64, parents and 2 brothers. My maternal grandparents, from whom the heart problems came, lived to be in their 70's. My grandfather had heart disease and back then in the 50's there wasn't much treatment for it. If my grandmother hadn't died of cancer, I don't know how much longer she would have lived. I think the reason they lived so long is because they had worked hard all their lives but were always too poor to afford anything but the bare essentials. They could never afford any more than their basic meals. No snack food, nothing to eat between meals. As Rosie once said, eating very low calorie is supposed to lengthen your life. I have heard that before, but I don't understand how that relates to the weight loss community who state that if you eat too few calories your body goes into starvation mode.

Bobbi - Unfortunately, both DH and I are packrats. But he is the one who doesn't want things sitting out, so he puts them "away." Not necessarily where they belong, and not where he can remember where he put them. LOL Many things go "in a bag and up in the attic." Then when you look for them, all the bags look alike and you have to sort through all of them to find what you're looking for. I don't like to throw things away, but I like them organized so I can find them when I want them.

Marie - How are you feeling? Lots of healing going on? This morning I mentioned my BIL's problems to my home nurse and she said he might be eligible for Medicaid because he is low income. That would really help him, but it seems that we looked into that at one time and there was something that made him ineligible. I will have to look online and see if I can get any info. If he doesn't have some sort of assistance I don't think he will continue doctor visits, which he really needs.

If you are one who is used to being out and about it's hard to stay home. It has been 3 months since my surgery and the nurse keeps telling me that to be eligible for home nurse visits I am supposed to be homebound. I just make sure I don't tell her if I go somewhere. I feel fine....I just want the nurse to pack my wounds instead of DH or myself. Just be glad that you feel well enough to go out. That's a good sign!

Karen3 - We are like your company that's coming. At Red Lobster, DH orders steak. But we go there for me, because I like seafood. He will eat fish, but nothing with a shell or claw. When we go to Texas Roadhouse I order chicken as I am not much of a beef eater. This is why we eat in restaurants so much....we don't like the same things. DH usually makes a hamburger for himself a couple times a week. I have some ground beef in the freezer and I'm still waiting to see if he makes a hamburger after hearing about the pink slime. It doesn't worry me much. I think it's just the name that sounds so gross. They say it is a beef by-product. I figure we have been eating it for years, not knowing it was there, so it's not going to kill us. I think if you saw where 80% of your food comes from you would lose your appetite!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #214  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Yikes. Four days away and it feels like a decade. I checked in on FB yesterday, but was in Vermont Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Unexpectedly, I might add. Good for the wallet, so to speak, but a bit tough on these old bones – and brain – because we did actual work for ten and eleven hours a day all the time we were up there. Fun work, interesting work…and even, dare I say….exciting work, but work all the same. And so much more to do.

I won’t ever catch up with everybody, but just a few notes – about looking older, Bobbi & Mary. Yeah. It can take you by surprise sometimes. In my case, I probably shouldn’t tan up the way I do every summer, because my skin will turn to leather sooner or later, but I love the beach, love the water, and feel healthy when I have a little sun in my complexion, knowing full well that looks can be deceiving.

I hear you on the time changes, PT/Donna. My dh overslept this morning….changed all the clocks in the house except for his own alarm clock. I did change mine (was asleep, as usual, in the guest bedroom to avoid the snoring, etc.) and so was up on time, but a little slow on the uptake, and am feeling rather lethargic sitting here. Blah. I truly need a few days off to just sit and contemplate my navel or something. Oh! That pink slime stuff is really reprehensible! And using it for school lunches! I mean, that’s really unacceptable! Makes me so glad that I stopped eating red (or PINK) meat a long time ago! Now I have to get my kids to give it up, as well..

Rosey, I love that Gizmo only eats after you taste – and presumably approve – it. Sounds like something a cat would do, regal creatures that they are. Actually, a little fella like Gizmo could turn my head a bit, and I suspect I could become a “dog person” with an animal that loved me as much as Gizmo loves you.
(And is as little as he is.) OH...and the quilts are gorgeous! What talented folks we have in our little group here!

More visitors, K3? Good grief! Remind me not to move to Florida! I have a hard enough time when we have people in for dinner…days at a time would surely strain our friendships beyond the breaking point! As for that sleazy, leg-shaving, line-crossing *friend* of your Dh’s, I say, “good riddance to bad rubbish”. (My father used to say that, and as much as I like it, I rarely have the opportunity to say it myself. Sits well on the tongue, it does.)

Glad to hear that life is treating you well, Marie. Sounds like you’re mending rapidly. (I figured you would). Just rest plenty and try not to overdo, you hear?

Deelee and Lynn, I am about to purchase The Space Between Us. You two have convinced me that I need to read it. I read a couple of Articles about Henrietta Lacks in my dh’s Scientific American. Unreal. Such entitlement on the part of the medical community. Just use it…..why ask permission or anything as humane as that? I may have mentioned that I’ve been listening to audiobooks on my drive to and from work lately. Wish I’d thought of it years ago…really makes an hour’s drive feel like a lot less!

How’s the birthday boy, Isabella? Did he have fun at his party? My twins are just a week or so apart from him – they turn 3 on the 18th and we’re having their party this weekend. I don’t know how great that’ll be for little Micah, as he’s having his tonsils removed on Thursday, but hopefully he’ll be feeling better by Sunday and be ready for some ice cream, at least.

How’s the weather up your way, Freda? We had a dusting of snow up in Vermont over the weekend, but here in Massachusetts, they’re predicting temps that just might hit 70 today. Wowza! I’ll be able to pull out my flip-flops before long!

How’s the packing coming along, CaddyK? Has Tim headed back east yet? I know exactly what you mean about feeling “orphaned” once both parents are gone. I felt exactly the same way…and a little uncomfortable becoming the “older generation”.

Well, I need to do a little work for my not-too-much-longer employer, so I’m off for now. Have a terrific day, GG’s!

Z
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #215  

had a busy morning here. worked out at curves and ran errands afterwards.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #216  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Upped my gym time this morning to 80 minutes. I am spurred on by our “walking” challenge. I LOVE these challenges. Since I have stopped training for the ½, I have gained almost 10 lbs. I am not eating any more than I was eating while I was training – probably eating less. So, the only way I can get back down is to up my exercise.

My DD & SIL get home on St. Patrick’s day. So, I am planning to make them corned beef and cabbage and Irish brown bread. Bought the corned beef today. Now I need to look for a recipe. I make the brown bread all the time, but I have not made corned beef in years!

Have a happy Monday. Is anyone else watching “The Voice?”

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Lynn, I do believe I adore your DD. Especially that she loathed 1st “D”H having your stuff.Marie
Hi Marie,

My DD is about your age. Next year, she will be eligible for the GG thread! Yes, she is adorable and amazing. In addition to having her B&B, she is also a realtor, a computer programmer, teaches online for Phoenix, is my financial advisor and travel agent, and is a champion knitter. She is also a VERY good artist but doesn’t really have time for that anymore (except for decorating).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Wonderful news from our DD. She has dropped her A1c below 6 and does not need diabetic meds. Can't tell you how proud of her I am....
Hi Karen,

Kudos to your DD! I am thrilled when I get my A1c down below 6 and I am on meds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Happy sunday everyone. really quiet here. dh slept till noon and i worked on the quilt. I decided to machine quilt it and its now done.Marie by all means you can use the pattern. i bought the pattern but only used the airplane and the star on my quilt.i didnt follow the pattern, i always do my own thing.
Hi Rosey,

I wish we lived closer – I would LOVE to learn to quilt. I have always loved doing crafts in the company of other women (ceramics & scrapping). However, I am NOT a sewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
While we were out we went to BestBuy and I got the iPad I've been wanting for a long time. I didn't realize it is more like a phone than a computer. That made me stop and think..I wasn't sure I could justify the purchase but I tried it for a few sweeps in the store and it seemed to work and I like the larger (than phone) screen so I decided to try it for my away from my desktop computer and for traveling.
Hi Mary,

I am also thinking about getting an iPad for travelling. Please let us know how you like it. My laptop is about 8 lbs and that is 8 lbs too much for me to lug around. When I am teaching, I must have the computer so that I have WORD and Power Point. However, when I am not teaching, I can get by with just having access to the internet.

[QUOTE=Bobbolink;4250381] We visited MIL, she was in good form yesterday. No sooner did we get home before she called and wanted to know her mothers telephone number. (MIL will be 92 in July) I asked her how old she thought her mom was if she was 91? OH, you mean my mom's dead? Did I go to the funeral? How could I forget something like that? We go through this at least once a week. We've left a message at the nurses station that she can't call after 7:00pm. This is another reason I try to keep my mind active, my mom died of Alzheimer's and I'd rather fall over dead of a heart attack or something similar.
Hi Bobbi,

I SO feel the same way as you do. I cannot think of a worse illness. I think of you with your MIL often. I no longer “enjoy” seeing my DF and I love her. Would be VERY difficult to deal with someone with this illness if you disliked them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
Maryea In my immediate family, I have lived the longest reaching age 66. No one else lived past 64, parents and 2 brothers. My maternal grandparents, from whom the heart problems came, lived to be in their 70's.
Hi Carol Sue,

Both of my parents died at 61. We in our family figured members of our family just died young. However, once I started doing genealogy, I realized that MANY of our ancestors lived into their 80’s and 90’s. Even women who had over 10 children and lived in the 1800’s or earlier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Deelee and Lynn, I am about to purchase The Space Between Us. You two have convinced me that I need to read it. I read a couple of Articles about Henrietta Lacks in my dh’s Scientific American. Unreal. Such entitlement on the part of the medical community. Just use it…..why ask permission or anything as humane as that? I may have mentioned that I’ve been listening to audiobooks on my drive to and from work lately. Wish I’d thought of it years ago…really makes an hour’s drive feel like a lot less!Z
Hi Zoe,

I think you will like The Space Between Us. I have been listening to (I usually refer to it as “reading”) books on tape/DC’s for years. I get them from my library or from inter-library loan. I always have 1 book I am reading on my Nook and 1 book I am reading while I drive.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 03-12-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #217  

I was looking at our Birthday list and noticed that Nancy's (Nancyoyo) birthday is on St. Patrick's day. We have not heard from Nancy lately.

I just sent an email to her home email address to check on her.

Lynn
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi there, I don't have enough time to respond to everyone, but Carol Sue's post struck a cord.

I have just been looking up about calorie restriction, and how it is supposed to extend your life expectancy, and was also wondering about this whole 'starvation mode' thing. As i only eat once a day usually, occasionally twice, this has made me think. Both sides seem to have heaps and heaps of research on their side, yet both seem to be mutually exclusive.

For me, the 6 small meals a day does't work if i want to get thin, yet i worry about starvation mode as well

Does anyone know where the 3 square meals a day came from originally? Why 3 meals? Why not 2 or 5? Is it cultural? How often do traditional people eat (given a choice)?

Auto.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #219  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Donna, the yummier the boys, the more costly. I’m sure they’re worth it.

Mary, welcome to the iPad world. You’ll definitely want the Facebook app. They actually just came out with it and it is wonderful. I practiced typing on the iPad when I was selling my Jeep to the young man in Afghanistan last summer. Now I find it irritating that my laptop doesn’t autocorrect my spelling as I type. There is nothing that you can’t do on the little toy other than specific software programs that aren’t made for it (Quicken comes to mind in my case). You’ll like the FB app because you can take pictures with the iPad and just add them to FB. And I know I’m starting to join the vainer, how did I get so old group too. Maybe that’s a normal part of aging. And I finally broke down and read about the pink slime. From my understanding it is taking the yucky beef waste off the butcher shop floor and grinding it up and adding a chemical to it to make it “safe”. Just by adding the chemical, there’s no way a beef labeled organic could be organic.

Bobbi, after playing Words with you, there is no way you’re even remotely close to Alzheimer’s. No way, no how. I can see how calls from your MIL would be stressful and too late at night would be too hard. Botox is just plain frightening.

Carol Sue, not telling your nurse when you go out. I’m pretty darn sure I’m not telling my dr I went out yesterday. I sort of remember at the pre-op visit that I was to go nowhere and see no one but him. Perhaps those were his words.

Zoe, when I read you’re father’s saying, it made me think of my mother’s favorite saying while growing up: “She (or he) has the personality of a split toilet seat.” I don’t know why your father’s saying made me remember that but it sure did make me giggle in remembrance. I can picture Maxine saying it. BTW, I started on Audible dot com about 11 years ago and have an unreal audio library. Around 700 books purchased. Every cent was worth it because my commute is lovely and delightful. I have a 30 minute drive each way and never get abridged so I get the best minute per entertainment dollar value. You’ll love them for your VT commutes. Even if you’re traveling with someone, then you can just have a book you listen to on the drive. DH and I do that all the time. Occasionally we have to remind each other where we’d stopped in a book but it makes traveling bearable. to Micah. Surgeries suck (wonder if I’ll get that bleeped).

Lynn, wonderful gym workout and I’m so glad the walking challenge has brought you back. You sound much more like the exercise obsessed woman I met last summer. Please know I’m jealous that you get to play. BTW, if the iPad doesn’t sound like it would do the trick for you while traveling, consider a Macbook Air. My 13” one weighs in at under 2 pounds. I can pick it up with one hand and that is a momentous feat since I have absolutely no wrist strength left. I call my 13” Macbook Pro a “big, honking pig”. I can not imagine holding a regular laptop with even both hands anymore. But since I’m an iPad veteran, Word and PowerPoint aren’t on the iPad. I bought Pages for my iPad and it opens and saves WORD documents. It’s very easy to use. Keynote is the equivalent of Powerpoint. Each program is $9.99 each. Since they interchange the files with Microsoft’s programs with ease, it’s quite nice. I bet you wouldn’t be sad with an iPad. At a training I went to, there is an adapter for using projectors with an iPad. It truly can replace a computer. I have co-workers that have a little stand thingie they place theirs in and it has a real keyboard. OK, enough as I am no longer an Apple stockholder (but they did make me a pretty penny or two). But I very much believe in their products. They are simplistic.

Auto, I have no idea on the restrictive calorie concept for extending longevity but I do know that if I couldn’t enjoy yummy foods, I’m not sure living to 100 would be worth it. Eating is too much a part of my life to try that tactic.

I worked today (from home of course) and really would like to tele-commute permanently. When people irritate me, I can call a pup over and pet their sweet heads. Other than working and playing Words with Bobbi, I’m a couch potato. OK, I did the two things while sitting as well.

Marie
Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #220  

Hi everyone another sunny day here.the dogs followed the sun across the floor,all stretched out with their paws in the air i spent a share of the day doing household duties.i wish i had a fairy godmother who could wave the magic wand and everything would be neat and tidy. i cooked a turkey breast for dinner and am experimenting with the dh to see if hes really gluten intolerant. i dont think so,im a good observer and i think after his gallbladder surg he cant tolerate any fat.just my observation so i convinced him to try some stuffing made with real bread. i'll let you know the results.by the way this trial and error diet thing is dr approved and also by the nutrionest. i'd hate to poison the old fart as soon as i get my laptop fixed i would love to play scabble with you all as far as the aging discussion,im more comforable with myself now that im older and if you dont like how i look dont look is my atitude,but never in the past did i feel that way. i was always concerned about what i thought others thought of me if that makes sence. and i have lots f wrinkely saggy skin,including butt wrinkels(dont ask LOL) not apretty sight. when i get under 200# i will be having atummy tuck and whatever else my ins will pay. hoping your evening wonderful rosey

breakfast
coffee
greek yogurt

lunch
tomatoe cuke salad

snack
coffee mocha
1 slice cheese
1/2 cup grapes

dinner
slice turkey
fresh aspargus

Last edited by akrosey49; 03-12-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #221  

Trying to keep up with the personals -

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
I have just been looking up about calorie restriction, and how it is supposed to extend your life expectancy, and was also wondering about this whole 'starvation mode' thing. As i only eat once a day usually, occasionally twice, this has made me think. Both sides seem to have heaps and heaps of research on their side, yet both seem to be mutually exclusive.
Hi Auto,

My 2 cents – from all of my reading/research, I believe that you need to keep your metabolism stoked to burn the pounds. I also believe that if you eat fewer calories than you burn (regardless of when you eat them), you will lose. The formula is when you burn 3,500 calories more than you eat, you lose 1 pound. The trick is getting your body to burn better. When you eat 1 meal/day, you slow down your metabolism and you must eat fewer calories.

I eat 5-6 times/day. I exercise at least 1 hour/day. For me to lose, I need to keep my calories below 1,000. My mid-meal snacks are around 100 calories each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

Zoe, when I read you’re father’s saying, it made me think of my mother’s favorite saying while growing up: “She (or he) has the personality of a split toilet seat.” I don’t know why your father’s saying made me remember that but it sure did make me giggle in remembrance.
Lynn, if the iPad doesn’t sound like it would do the trick for you while traveling, consider a Macbook Air. My 13” one weighs in at under 2 pounds. I can pick it up with one hand and that is a momentous feat since I have absolutely no wrist strength left. I call my 13” Macbook Pro a “big, honking pig”. I can not imagine holding a regular laptop with even both hands anymore. But since I’m an iPad veteran, Word and PowerPoint aren’t on the iPad. I bought Pages for my iPad and it opens and saves WORD documents. It’s very easy to use. Keynote is the equivalent of Powerpoint. Each program is $9.99 each. Since they interchange the files with Microsoft’s programs with ease, it’s quite nice. I bet you wouldn’t be sad with an iPad. At a training I went to, there is an adapter for using projectors with an iPad. It truly can replace a computer. I have co-workers that have a little stand thingie they place theirs in and it has a real keyboard. OK, enough as I am no longer an Apple stockholder (but they did make me a pretty penny or two). But I very much believe in their products. They are simplistic.
Hi Marie,

An old friend of mine had a saying I loved --- “He is nothing but a good screw wasted.”

The Macbook Air sounds GREAT. I will go to Best Buy and look at both. Thank you for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
as far as the aging discussion,im more comforable with myself now that im older and if you dont like how i look dont look is my atitude,but never in the past did i feel that way. i was always concerned about what i thought others thought of me if that makes sence. and i have lots f wrinkely saggy skin,including butt wrinkels(dont ask LOL) not apretty sight. when i get under 200# i will be having atummy tuck and whatever else my ins will pay. hoping your evening wonderful rosey
Hi Rosey,

I have always had that attitude about my weight. When I was at my heaviest, I still wore a bathing suit, shorts… I always said, “If anyone doesn’t like what they see, look somewhere else.” My attitude has changed as I’ve aged. Now I REALLY think that no one looks anyway. The only person who is looking long enough to not like what they see is me! I really always thought I was cute – even when I was heavy. Now I think I am really ugly. Luckily, I’ve got a great personality .
Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #222  

Went to the gym this morning but otherwise have stayed home. It's a cold, cloudy wet day. Got most of my housework done but still need to vac the living room. Maybe do that in a little bit. If I hadn't been online so much it'd be done. There were issues with "the" house today but I posted in on FB so won't go into it here.

Marie/Lynn - Yes, I'm liking my iPad, even though it isn't quite what I need. It works though and has other advantages...like the camera, facetime etc. I love the size of the screen, and so far I've been able to enter most sweeps with it. All the important things. I thought about getting a laptop but I'm scared I'll be disatisfied unless I spend a lot. I absolutely hated my netbook!! Yes I have the FB app already. I downloaded most of the apps I had on my phone but not everything because I don't think I want them all on there. Like I don't plan to use it for grocery shopping so didn't download those.

Rosey - I've had my gallbladder removed and only once did I really have trouble with eating something fat...and it was right after the fat restriction (first 2-3 weeks?) was lifted. I went to the mall and bought a burrito at a Mexican place...Oh man, I only had two pains but they were terrible ones! Then I had to run to the bathroom! But since then I can eat most anything...I don't think I eat really really high fat generally...I try for no higher than 45% (30% would be better of course) but I occasionally get more. Occasionally if I eat something really high fat my tummy will ache a bit but not bad and sometimes I can eat the same thing with no problem. I think it's because now the gall is released at random times, rather than when stimulated by fat so sometimes it is not there to take care of it.

I hope Nancy is doing ok. I miss her.

Marie - what you are describing to Lynn sounds like what I bought...it's a case but also has a keyboard and the ipad sits in it nicely. Much more durable than anything else I saw plus easier to use too. I like having the keyboard as the iPad keyboard is so sensitive! But i can use either one. I see that the Zaggfolio is being advertised right here on this page. That's what I bought. Didn't get the free ear buds though as I bought mine at AT&T.

Zoe - Wow you worked long days...well, guess time passes faster that way.
I have never been one to tan, can't stand to just lay out and mostly the sun makes me burn so probably good I haven't. What "tan" I do get is freckles/brown spots! Now with my gray hair I look awfully pale and this is the darkest I've ever been!

Slmn - My mom only lived to 64 but her mother lived to 104. It was cancer that probably really caused my mom's death although pneumonia was the immediate cause. My dad lived to 88 and died pretty naturally from what I can tell. I wasn't there. My sister is now 78 and my brother is almost 88. I'm probably the healthiest of them all, but I probably should cut out my snacking. Would help me lose weight and weight is a longevity issue too since it leads to other things.

Last edited by maryea; 03-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #223  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

help please my print is so tiny I can't read it.....hellllllp
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #224  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello goldens!

Well it is late evening here and this is the first time I have made it to 3fc. You guys are hilarious! I was glad that dh and dgs were in bed as I guffawed my way through your posts!

Donna, Sorry! I didn't mean to be a smarty britches.... I just meant that you are really close to Colorado Springs. I think it would be good if you would join us. Are you still doing your stretches in the mornings?

Mary, I think you and Joe will feel better if you go to Arizona and check things on the house. That is just my opinion.I don't know where my turkey wattle came from. Grr Oh, wait, it is from the GIANT double chin that I used to have. It bugs me. But, the other night I was at a cafe with my dh and he introduced me to a friend who was there. She exclaimed, "there is no way you are old enough to be his mom!" I laughed because it is because my dh looks older than he is. Tee hee. I figure the only thing that I can do about my wrinkly skin is to fill it up with fat. NOT

Marie, how wonderful! You are really so funny. Recovery is good for you and I think you are going to be a really great retired person. You and I seriously need to win the lottery so we can pursue our recreational personalities and fully explore our 50 year old inner children!

Rosey, you have such a great attitude! I wont even think about the butt wrinkles - I don't have to ask. In my case, it is more like droopy butt) How do you get insurance to pay for a tummy tuck?

Zoe, don't work so hard. Retirement is just around the corner. But I am so glad that you are Satisfied by the work!

Bobbi, to you for being nice to the MIL. Brain disorders are my fear. You are a peach to attend to her.

Lynn, glad that you are back on the exercise train! How can you say that you are not cute??? You are adorable!

Auto, I know about the research about calorie restriction and longevity. I would rather not live that way. My grandparents (all 4) lived til their mid 90's. But - they were very active people.

Karen, great news on your dd's A1c. That is such an accomplishment.

Carol, you sneak out of the house all you want. You are doing great!

CaddyK, I hope that you do ok with the packing. I know that you wish that you could have gone with Tim. I am thinking of you guys.

Sorry for anyone that I missed. I am tired now and need to get off the computer.

Rie

Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #225  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

Good evening everyone,enjoying the Voice. First year ive really got into that kind of thing but i do like it.Nothing on Tv thrills me much.

Bobbi i think you asked my cats name its Sylvee she is a tuxedo kitty black and white.4 years old now.

my online name is ladysheets in most of my forums i am in just like yours is bobolink and ladyinweighting and so on my last name is Sheets.
why does it seem odd to everyone? lol...

Our outdoor planting starts the end of may.. we have beautiful beautiful gardens and flowers here in the summer. Things grow really well with the long day light hours and moderate temperatures. I forget who said alaska wasnt a good place to be to garden your right if you wanna garden all year but summer is awesome here to Grow a lot of things. I enjoy starting from seed a few flowers and herbs every year. my nasturtiums are always really nice when i start them indoors.

Went swimming today, lots of kids off for spring break.

tired tonight. I will put on a picture of my kitty soon. she is a sweetheart. Brenda
Closed Thread