3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~January Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/249395-%7E%7Ejanuary-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

lucindaarrowspark 01-15-2012 06:08 AM

Life throws me a strange curve, and i responded by... well of course i responded by waiting till I was alone and I ate two sugar filled chocolate cookie type confections.
here how it began. I woke up saturday morning, I felt lovely and feminine. i wore an attractive yet modest dress to synagogue.
and then I realized I was not ready for the attention.
wether its because I wore male-up or because i looked slimmer or both..................
later that day i just blew it. wait because to be honest with myself means to admit to eating two slices of pizza, two glasses of wine and then there is those two chocolate what nots. neither of which i even enjoyed.
i do not know which food is reacting badly with me but now i am gassy again.
But you know, today is already Sunday. I am will move past this bump in the road.

lucindaarrowspark 01-15-2012 06:09 AM

I meant I wore make-up. Freudian key board slip.

chickadeee55 01-15-2012 08:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, Happy Sunday. It is 18 degrees here, burrrrrr!

I had a great day yesterday, made up some blocks on my embroider machine, remember the kitchen towels with the days of the week on them, my mom use to had embroider those, well, you can now let a machine do it for you while you watch, will attached some pictures.

Today, have to set up our new freezer and go grocery shopping. We purchased a juicer and have been enjoying green smoothies (main ingredient is Kale) need to fine a book with more healthy recipes in it.

Gayle About my Thumb saga, well my original 8 therapy sessions are over, I see my doctor in a week, two sessions ago during heat and rubbing therapy the scar released a cloudy liquid) they now think there is something inside the wound (like a stitch?) I don’t understand because it is all healed up, but it is very touchy right below the thumb nail. The doctor told me not to worry it is normal. I still only have about 50% bend in my thumb and I don’t think it will get any better. Will see what the doctor has to say, I just don’t want an infection in there.
The crust is just the cooked spaghetti squash and you add eggs(2), seasoning, and 1-1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese to it. You have to pat it in a pan and bake it, say 30 min then I put it under the broiler to brown it a bit. (Watch for liquid forming on edges (I had to pull mine out and drain it twice). But then you just add whatever toppings you want, like a regular pizza or whatever is on your plan. It has such good favor and not empty carb crust!

Bobbi I love reading your recipes and your menus. Always interesting.

Carol Sue sending Feel Good wishes for you and a Hug.

Marie are you watching the Packers today???? And house temps, we heat mostly with a pellet stove and keep it comfortable at 70 during the day and 66 at night (makes a person get up faster with it is a bit chilly!)

Lyn if you want some snow I will send you some! LOL I was so spoiled by our 50 degrees in January, that now I am like, forget the snow, come on springtime. I do not like March and April, Cabin Fever and everything is dreary, just waiting for spring to green things up and it seems to take so long.

Rosey hope DH is doing better.

Deelee Welcome, sorry about your mom, it is such a hard time to go through with them, hard on her and her family. Hopefully you can get to a point where it is manageable for her and you, I know my FIL had it, and it was draining and just so unfair. Keep loving her and you are allowed to laugh, you need too.

Carol I too lurk a lot; sometimes it is hard to keep up with these busy ladies! LOL

Luci sorry about your bad eating day, just remember one day at a time, each day is a fresh start.

Mary sorry about your car trouble, it is expensive to fix them and buy them. I am lucky my DH can fix anything. Of course he also knows how long he can wait before he really has to do it!!!!!!

Stay warm everyone, enjoy your day.

Bobbolink 01-15-2012 09:25 AM

Good Morning, no menu to post. Yesterday we had an out of town funeral to go to and the lunch wasn't calorie friendly. We just had left-over venison chili for supper and since I wasn't counting calories, I made some herbed (rosemary and garlic) biscuits slathered with real butter. We get fresh "made the same day" butter from a local creamery that's to die for. I think the butter you buy in the grocery stores have sat in big coolers with other foods and take on some of the aromas because the butter we buy is so fresh and yummy. I could eat it with a spoon, No, no, no!:nono:
Lucinda...oh my...where did you find all that diet busting food? Do you keep it in your home? You might want to hire Julian from the biggest losers to come over and clean out your pantry. Unless you have a skinny DH that likes having it around. If you don't stock it, you can't eat it.....the worst part is you didn't enjoy it. And like I said before, you really don't have that much to lose so don't blow it now on impulsive junk food. Do you want the Golden Girls to come over instead of Julian?:D
Quote:

admit to eating two slices of pizza, two glasses of wine and then there is those two chocolate what nots. neither of which i even enjoyed.
Chick...WOW on your pretty dish towels. My mom and MIL always had several sets on hand for gifts, only those were hand made. I wish I'd kept an unused set from my mom but I didn't think she's ever be gone. As to my menus, I get in a rut with breakfast. I make up 8 packets to go with my 8 containers of homemade yogurt. One serving of Fiber One, 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seed, 1 teaspoon chia seeds. I'm too lazy in the morning to drag out all that stuf, having the packets all made up is easier. I have a yogurt maker, just got a new one too. (I wore out the old one, the heating element went)
Isabella...speaking of my yogurt, yes you can put any extract in your yogurt. I've tried coconut extract but wasn't impressed. Maybe I didn't put enough extract in?
Rie...roasted veggies in the oven brings out all the flavors, yummy! I like cubing squash, onions, carrots, a potato for DH (I pick out and don't eat). If I have fresh broccoli, that can be added too but not until the end. The squash takes longer to cook than the broccoli.
Lyn...thanks for the 'ergonomics' advice, my wrist are not bent, my feet touch the floor but my neck is bent. What can I do about that, put my monitor on a couple of books? I could lower my chair but then my wrist would be bent.
KarenMo...does Tim not like different kinds of foods or just doesn't want to try something new? Maybe you can try some different foods just for yourself and make lip smacking noises and moan a little about how good the new food is. :rofl: Get him interested?
Donna...join the club, I've done that before too. That is, left some stuff out of a recipe. What kind of an egg dish was it? Omelet?
Marie...you shocked me with your 80 degree house temperature. Especially with your breed of dogs that can live outside in freezing temps. Don't they get hot? (I hate dog owners that keep their dogs outside, dogs are family) We keep our thermostat set at 68 degrees in the winter and I have the vent in the bedroom closed and covered over with a flat board. It's usually around 64, have seen it dip to 59 one night when the winds were high. I just told DH what you kept your temps at and he said he can't stand 70 degrees, let alone 80. Maybe with all your weight lose, you need it warmer?
Hi everyone I missed, time to get ready ....later gators. (KarenFla with gators in her back yard should sign off this way.)

jess1 01-15-2012 11:17 AM

Good Morning, All…

LONG week… and I didn’t much participate in 3FC. I was in bed by 9 or 9:30 every night and had no oomph or interest in the computer.

CK – if I were you, I’d fix whatever you want and tell Tim “what do you MEAN? It’s just macaroni and cheese!”. He might not even notice if you don't mention it prior to serving the food. I LOVE recipes! I don’t USE them unless they’re 5 ingredients or less, but I love to look at them (and to drool). I tend to eat the same ol’, same ol’, even though it’s a pretty varied menu.

CarolSue and Chickadeee – healing? Good thoughts for you both.

Oh, Marie – your outing with the dogs sounded wonderful! And SamCat and I were so amazed at how smart and talented our Beloved Kai is! What a girl, to open the door with her collar!

I would DIE if I kept my house as warm as you do! The normal temp is 67, and I do poop it up to 70 in the evening, because my feet get cold. Of course, I also am the one who hates and detests summer heat so much…

Lyn – thank you so MUCH for the ergonomic tips! I’ll adjust my chair tomorrow and see if it helps. My work monitor is already at eye level, but the one at home is not. I’m still working with the laptop at home.

Rie – I had my brother make me a “foot box” for Christmas. It’s about 3” high (and covered with carpet for that ultra chic look), and I have it at work. Sometimes it works really well, and sometimes it exacerbates the pain. Sometimes I just have to stand up and shake the leg and work out the cramp. This getting old crap sucks!

The ants we get here in the summer are those little sugar ants. There are millions of them, all fertile and breeding! The neighbor has them coming in through her dishwasher. I spray for them religiously and also have the very-expensive company come and spray a couple of times a season. They just started a couple of years ago when it was so warm in winter; I’m hoping that this year the cold will kill them off. It’s totally gross to see them on the kitchen counter! Eiuuuu! One evening, I was sitting by the front door reading and felt something on my leg. I looked down and saw at least 300,945,032 ants pouring in the front door, all yelling and shrieking and waving to each other. OMG, I thought about burning the house down!

I bought a package of tilapia at the store yesterday. I don’t usually do fish and the last time I tried tilapia, it smelled like dirty feet. The meat man said it was probably bad, so I’m attempting it again. I’m going to try to eat more fish this year. Your squash recipe sounded GOOD. I do love my veggies.

PT/Zoe – were you part of the screaming horde at the football game yesterday? We have feckless fans here (oh, I love that!), and I’m sure poor Tebow will be further ridiculed. They’ve had a field day making fun of his religious beliefs.

Gayle – I hope your DH can get rid of the nasty whatever in your laptop! Sometimes these terrible things appear from whence we know not. After my horrible experience with the virus in my PC, I’m absolutely paranoid now. What did you find out about virtual lap bands?

Lucinda – I laughed at your “Freudian keyboard slip”… and I understand so much what you’re saying!

Chickadeee – LOVE the pictures! I’m amazed at the work your machine can do… and the little “Monday wash girl” reminded me of my days growing up. GM always embroidered tea towels, and I can remember doing the same. Beautiful work…

Bobbi – no, the egg casserole is just a simple little thing that I throw together with whatever veggies I happen to have on hand, 6 eggs, onion, spices, a little cheese, and ¼ cup water. It makes breakfast for 6 days and is quick and easy on those hurried mornings when I really don’t want breakfast but know that I need breakfast. I love the idea of roasted vegetables, and that’s a good idea for those that didn’t make it into yesterday’s casserole!

Rosey - progress with Steve's tummy? Stay warm!

I think I've caught up on everyone. Newbies, wecome! Those I missed, blame it on being old and tired. Everyone, have a lovely rest of the day!
:hug:

Riemontana 01-15-2012 11:18 AM

No time for a long post this morning..... Just had to say:

Chickadee, thanks for the pictures of your towels. I have a set made by my Grandma before she died in my cedar chest. I remember her visiting me and being exasperated because I had plain towels in my kitchen. She asked me what I did with my towels and when I told her that I was saving them, she was laughingly irritated. She promised to make me some more but never got the time..... She did them by hand in the evenings while she watched TV. BTW, the "monday" towel in my set is that exact same pattern. Thanks for the nice memory....

Karen3 01-15-2012 11:50 AM

morning...Chilly again down here but rest of the week will be 70's. The gas logs heat the whole house up quickly. Ski is so blue it should crack.

Talked to my bridge partner and her brother is in a medically induced coma. He told the EMTs he couldn't feel his legs. They will stabilize him before they can do surgery on his lower back. No idea if he will ever walk again. Sweet man but alcoholic. Thank you for the prayers.

Rie...sorry you couldn't play. Know it's great to have a good turn out, but hard being on the sidelines. Cauliflower has been so cheap here recently. Hugh heads are 2.99. Good to know you can roast them from frozen.

Lucinda....The GG posse will be right there after stopping in NC to deal with Nancy's SO.....so no more grazing!

Chick...I learned to embroider doing tea towels. My Aunt insisted that the back and the front looked alike. Got a lot of blood spots on those 1st towels.

Marie....80? Huskys? Dash would leave home at that temp.

Lyn....Which J&J company? DH worked for Chickapee for years in New Brunswick not Mass.

You all have put your cell phones on the do not call list?...if not the number that you call using the cell phone is 888-8382-1222.

Rosey...you did good with pushing for correct meds. Gesh that nurse would make me so mad. Maybe GG posse off to Alaska, too. Nah, read about the winter weather there. brrrrr

Lynn...Glad the kiddies liked you program. Sometimes that age can be a tough audience.

Zoe....Every week the short timers dulldrums is gonna get bigger and time will slow down. Weeks will seem like months this is because after retiring time flies. admit that yesterday I was sighing to DH (well whining) that seems like I get one thing done a day now and never multitask.

Okay....I have a problem. I feel like jelly. Like my entire body is toneless jelly. I could lose it and ooze down between the cracks. Reset up the treadmill, but between getting short of breath and bum knee that it in short bursts. Jelly! Yikes!

Donna...we have had both ant and cricket problems and our crickets are frog size! Found that we get what ever powder is available at Home Depot and sprinkle around the foundation of the house. Diaziapen was one powder they take one away and offer another. Anyway sprinkle all around the outside.. Side effect is it did in spiders, too. I was killing crickets and side effect did in the Japanese beetles which took care of the moles. (A large cricket will eat a fist size hole in a towel!)

Welcome to all the new chicks...hugs to everyone and as Bobbie says later gator......can't say after while crock a dile ....ain't got no crocks here! Got a 9' gator sunning him/herself across the seawall...wanna him? k3

ladyinweighting 01-15-2012 01:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

FREEZING!!!! This morning, my DD and I stood outside of Sam's Club collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. She will be doing a marathon in May. I made it for a little over 2 hours and gave up. She is still there. The only part of my body that was not freezing was my feet - in the UGGS my DD gave me for Christmas.

Today I am making Bobbi's butternut squash soup. I plan to have it tonight with my homemade hummus and whole wheat pita.

Have a GREAT Sunday!

Lynn

Marie 01-15-2012 01:39 PM

Silly Chickadee. Am I watching the Packers?!?!?! Of course I’m watching the Pack. I have my traditional Pack clothes on and am in front of the TV over 3 hours early. OK, I’m on my couch with my laptop and the TV happens to be in front of me. I love the embroidered towels. My mom used her machine to make holiday towels for her neighbors at Christmas. Next year she’s going to make your snowflakes. ;)

Lucinda, just pull yourself out of the guilt and get on the wagon again. You’ll be fine and just remember when you want to munch on pizza and wine how you feel at the moment.

Rie, that’s cool the frozen veges worked for the roasting. That gives you more choices in the winter. Enjoy the football today.

Gayle, I use audible dot com for all my audiobooks. I know they have a player for Android. Since you live in a big city and probably have modern libraries (aka I don’t have that), I know you can “check” out audiobooks from your library online. Others here do that.

Bobbi, it is currently 78 in the house and I have my big Packer fleece sweatshirt on over my t-shirt. When we lived in hot and humid Virginia, two summers in a row, I was pregnant (last trimester) and the second pregnancy broke my thermostat. I have been shivering and cold ever since. I’ve had more medical tests done as to why and all come back normal. So I say I’m normal and the rest of you aren’t.
:D

Donna, I read your Kai comment to Kai and she’s blushing as I type. She is a smart dog. My animal behaviorist wanted to have her join a local musher because she has all the talents of a lead dog. The local musher has done the Iditarod but I politely declined since I adore every fur floating about her body. BTW, Kai did say she’d always open the door for SamCat.

KarenFL, my huskies gather around the wood stove. The 82 degree temp had them inching away but they still love the heat. No panting or anything. I think I’ve acclimatized them. Dash would eventually love it too. Everyone (except Donna) would. Visitors know to wear summer clothes whenever they visit.
:o I’m thinking I don’t want your sun worshipping gator. Yuck. They’re scary.

No news since I was here last night. OK, yeah there was some fun. I took DH’s sports car to pick him up at the airport since winter is supposed to arrive later this week and it might be his last time driving it till spring. Anyway, I had to go to the store. A guy in the dairy section was pleasantly flirting and I smiled back then went on my way. Of course I drive by him as I’m leaving and his jaw drops at the chickie in the hot car. It made me giggle. Then at the stoplight another group starts ogling the car and giving me the way to go signals. It was funny. Since I’m never out after dark, I forgot the afterdark culture that exists even in a small town. And I admit I did enjoy the rush when I pushed the pedal to the floor as I accelerated off the clover leaf.
:cool::smoking:Zoom zoom.
Marie

And I got to move my ticker another pound this morning. Only 15 left to go to rid myself of the regain.

glynne 01-15-2012 04:21 PM

Poor DH has been working since this morning on trying to straighten out the mess I made of my computer. Still not fixed yet. He has the patience of a saint.

glynne 01-15-2012 05:16 PM

Yea ~ DH finally hit on the right combination of things and I am up and running again.

I was googling last night trying to find information on that virtual lap band thing ~ that is when it happened. Part of the problem I think is that my security thing had expired. When I asked DH about it, he just kind of blew me off saying that everything would probably be ok. I guess maybe I should have fussed at him more to get some security back on it. Maybe that is why he didn't fuss at me too bad for messing it up and causing him extra work. ;)

Karen31 01-15-2012 06:06 PM

Well, we had a nice enjoyable Sunday again. It is like 58 degrees outside but a little windy!! We went to church this morning and then met all the family at Bob Evans for lunch! I just drank a glass of veggie juice for breakfast cause I knew I would over do it at lunch---I love their western Omelette!!I think it is like 530 calories or something like that!! So I will probably just have juice for tonight

By the way--- last year I was talking about getting a juicer...Some of you probably remember. I've searched and researched and couldn't make up my mind. Then last week my Aunt bought a Jack LaLane juicer and she loves it!! We stopped by there on the way back from church to check it out. So I checked at the Walmart over by her and they just had black, came over to my Walmart and they just had black! So came on home, got on line and ordered a white one from walmart.com!! It should be here Thursday to pick up at the store. I just figured with my white kitchen a black one would stick out like a sore thumb!!! Oooops sorry CarolSue!! ;)

So anyway, that has been my Sunday so far! And since it is 5:00 probably going to be about it!

I hope everyone has had a good Sunday!

deelee10 01-15-2012 07:06 PM

Hi Golden Girls. I just wanted to tell you that you've inspired me to get back to the health club - I haven't been since before Christmas. When I get busy - that's the first thing to go. So DH and I have gone 2 days in a row.
Gardendive - welcome right back at you! It was your post that drew me to the group. We just have to get back on the wagon.
Lucinda-I sometimes get derailed after getting complements. We are ready for this! Also, the DH - I realized that I wear my baggy old comfy clothes around the house. I bought some smaller, tighter, comfy clothes. When I want him to notice - I put those on. For the first time I started wearing those tight spandex things to the health club. I only have 2 that I can wear because my CELLULITE shows through some of the thin ones. And I work up a major sweat so unless I do laundry every other day I run out. But any way, sometimes I put on something tight like those or jeans and say, "How do I look?" He, of course, says, "Great!" And I say, "Keep telling me. Sometimes I really need to hear it because I could so easily fall into a bag of *****."
akrosey - standing up to the medical professionals can be tough. It was so smart/good/wise of you to stand your ground. Your husband is fortunate to have you as his advocate.
Chickadee - sorry your mom is in early stages. My dad also has dementia - in addition to my mom. His has manifested in a different way - just no short term or medium term memory. In a very big way. Scares me every time I forget something - which is frequent!
Hope all of you had a good weekend.

Riemontana 01-15-2012 07:48 PM

Hello Goldens!

I have been a football and computer slug all day:( It is the 4th quarter and I am being morose with Marie as I watch the Packers slip away in the game.) Bummer. There is still hope but really..... Update: Bugger! just watched that last touchdown. :( BTW, I loved the story of Blondie in the sports car. :D

I am staying on plan but I am raising my calories a little. I am hoping that cycling a bit will get me off this stall. Blech. :p I am feeling a little uncharitable and crabby at a couple of people on FB who are in the midst of their New Year's Resolution diets. I'm not sure why they are irritating me. One of the girls posted that she now needs a belt to keep up her pants, after two weeks of dieting.

Donna, like you, I can eat the same things all the time but I enjoy looking at recipes. It never makes me hungry, either. :?: Yes, the aches and pains of aging suck!

Lynn, I am glad that you didn't stay out there too long. I sure learned my lesson on that during Christmas. Good for your daughter - what a great cause.

Deelee, great job on the workouts. Glad that you have joined us.

Lucinda, just get back on plan. I posted a question to you in the challenge section.

Chickadee, sorry about your mom. I hope that she has lots of years left with relative clarity.

Karen, my son and dil have one of those juicers. I think you will like it. Maybe you can encourage Tim to be more adventuresome....I love Bob Evans. We don't have them here.

Gayle, glad that you are back on the air. You are looking for a non surgical lap band?

Karenfl, just some of the critters down there in fl give me the shivers!:dizzy: I have never heard of crickets doing damage. The only bugs we get in the house are box elder bugs and they are just annoying. I was amazed that there was no textural difference in the cauliflower. Yum. I love it. Your jelly will get toned a few steps at a time. Baby steps, sista.

Lyn, How are you doing? Is the weather good enough for you to get out and walk? We are forcast snow tonight but I don't have much confidence.

Zoe, did you enjoy a weekend of gk's and family? I think the days to retirement will be long but you will find your stride.

Mary, what are you and Joe doing this weekend. Did he get the car repair done?

Bobbi, you made me hungry for butternut squash so I made some today. I will have it tomorrow for lunch with sf maple syrup. I froze a couple portions, too.

Rosey, how is Steve doing? And how are you doing? :hug:

Ok, I am off to pout about football. Later everyone.

Rie

Marie 01-15-2012 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 4173448)
Hello Goldens!
I have been a football and computer slug all day:( It is the 4th quarter and I am being morose with Marie as I watch the Packers slip away in the game.) Bummer. There is still hope but really..... Update: Bugger! just watched that last touchdown. :( BTW, I loved the story of Blondie in the sports car. :D

Ok, I am off to pout about football. Later everyone.

Rie

Yes, I think being described as morose would be accurate. I had to grab my iPad and start playing solitaire while watching so I wouldn't scream at the TV. DH doesn't like when I do that. I did, however, make the most amazing pesto and yellow pepper whole wheat pizza ever made. Didn't bring my team luck but I sure enjoyed it. Here's a picture of it. DH just had to put yucky pepperonis on his half. Maybe that's what jinxed the Packers.
Marie