3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~January Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/249395-%7E%7Ejanuary-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

Wannabehealthy 01-12-2012 08:51 PM

Good evening GG! I didn't get to see the doctor today. He had an emergency at the hospital, so I saw the PA again. When I see her, I feel confident about what she's telling me and I leave there feeling good about it all. I think it's when my home nurse keeps telling me how she thinks I should be healed already that I start to second guess the PA.

She took a lot more time with me today. She took a culture to send to the lab and put me on an antibiotic. Maybe that will make a difference in healing. I go back next Thursday. Hopefully she will see signs of healing at that time. Enough is enough!

Rosie - I have heard of that wound vacumn. It seems it is used for larger wounds than mine are. I tend to get really upset about things, but then I realize that there are a lot of people worse off than I am. You probably couldn't even insert your thumb into my wound, let alone your fist! It's just a scary thing when holes start opening up in your body. I had never heard of anything like this!

Wannabehealthy 01-12-2012 08:54 PM

Karen3 - I was going to try quinoa because it is supposed to be so good for you and full of protein. Thanks for the warning! Like I said, things that are good for you are only good for you if you eat them! LOL

lucindaarrowspark 01-13-2012 06:25 AM

We are all here for eachother? right? iDuring this brief period of time I already feel connected to all your triumphs, your pains and your pets.
I will cock-a doodle-do a bit because yesterday I found the right school for my 10 year old. her current school is closing due to lack of enrollment and i was worried that the only near-by alternatives would not be a good fit.
i know that because I have not given in to my binge monkey that when i went to look at the new school
I was clear headed and not gassy bloated uncomfortable.
I don't want to project my self esteem issue on to my daughter.
I love you all for being up beat and positive and helping me stay free from boo-hoo -poor ole- me over-eating.

lucindaarrowspark 01-13-2012 06:30 AM

Oh Isabella... my dh is a very talented goldsmith and he makes cuff links and pendants , earrings using a clients own pulled wisdom teeth. interested?

glynne 01-13-2012 09:33 AM

Good morining GG's,

Two days down, one more to go. Off the weekend yippee. I like my job, but this sciatic pain I am having I think is aggravated by sitting. I try to get up when I can, but if it is really busy, I can't. With this job change, I got rid of the stress, but now have a different problem. :(

Sadly, I have missed some of my walking. I pulled into the parking lot Wednesday night intending to do my walk, but I hurt so bad, I never got out and just went home.

The dr gave me a muscle relaxer and told me to take ibuprofen and do stretches (thank you Donna for the link to that leg over one ~ it is more helpful than just a picture). The dr wanted me to do physical therapy, but I was unsure whether my insurance would cover it. Working on trying to get the paper for that so DH can call the insurance co and ask some questions and hopefully line that up. I have been trying to do the ones the dr gave me pictures of, but am afraid that I will do them wrong and hurt something else. I don't need anything else to get messed up.

The muscle relaxer is not helping. The ibuprofen eases it slightly, but by the end of the day I am miserable. The dr mentioned another medicine ~ I hate the thought of having to take more meds, but I hate this pain worse. It is discouraging. Like CarolSue, I want it better now. And I need to be more like Rosey who kept smiling and cheerful as she went through her surgery (back) and recuperation.

I feel bad to write about it because I know others here are having worse things to deal with. And I feel bad writing after Lucinda just commented on how up beat our little group is.

Bobbi ~ I saw your mention of Monday's Dr. Oz show and have set my machine to record it.

Ok, gotta go finish getting ready.

Hope you all have a good day ~ stay warm. It is 32* here this morning.

Take care

Bobbolink 01-13-2012 09:48 AM

Good Morning...I'm still waiting for my glasses to arrive, she said it'd be about a week. Today it's been 10 days, I hate that. They put a patch with lines on it to correct my vision until my new prescription glasses arrive and it's a pain in the butt looking thru those lines. But if that's all I have to belly ache about I better shut up.
Lucinda...is goldsmithing a hobby of DH's or his job. I've never had gold fillings, only silver. Very interesting what he does with the gold! Hope your 10 year old can find new friends at her new school. Wow, I've got a grandson twice as old as your daughter! I feel very old.:D
Yesterday I didn't count calories because I was too tired, woke at 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. I almost skipped watching "The Firm" episode last night. Anyone watching that?
Quote:

Thursday’s Keep me Accountable menu calories ? + ? grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, peanut butter yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds, 3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Ukrainian sweet & sour soup

Snack -

Supper- Beef Enchilada wrapped in a flat out, Monterey Jack cheese, large lettuce salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing, spicy black beans with lime. Very yummy and my eyes were bigger than my stomach.

Night time Snack- Carob Mousse dessert with sf cool whip and topped with 15 grams dry Fiber One.

Sunflower seeds
Carol Sue...glad you're somewhat relieved, don't listen to your home nurse.
Karenfla...I'm with you on the quinoa, yuk! I purchased some with the best of intentions but obviously didn't find a good recipe to cook it. Some of you talking about fried Kale, what's that all about?
Rosie...I put some snack size bags of grapes in the freezer for a quick easy snack, all portioned out @ 50 calories. I asked DH if he wanted to try some and he flipped out, loved them. Have you tried that, it takes much longer to eat. Hope DH is being a good boy with his aches and pains.
Zoe...watched your video, so glad you and DH enjoy it. Frankly my dear, I yawned. But then you enjoy long baths with candlelight, I can't get out of the shower fast enough. I have Attention Deficit Disorder I think. Never been diagnosed but pretty sure that's the reason I can't sit still.
Marie...isn't it wonderful that you can walk at night in a secure area. Nowadays, you never know when some weirdo will try to pick you up. But then you have your faithful buddy's with. My dog would go lick the weirdo in the face.:dizzy:
Quote:

Dark walks with a headlamp are peaceful.
Donna...send your snow our way, we did get a light dusting last night but not enough to play in.
I'm getting hungry thinking of my new flavor of homemade yogurt I made last night, "Caramel". Onward to the breakfast bar.
You all have a slimming day and watch those portions.

Bobbolink 01-13-2012 10:01 AM

OKay, just a fast thought while I eat my cereal. Yesterday on Dr. Oz, Goldie Hawn did something with Oz. She had him close his eyes, feel in a bowl and asked him what kind of food it was. He said grapes. Then she told him to put one in his mouth, don't chew but feel it on his tongue. Then to chew it, move it from side to side of mouth before swallowing, thinking about the taste and texture the whole time. It was an exercise to slow down your eating, being aware of what your eating and to enjoy the taste of it. I need to do this with every bite. I'm going to eat my cereal this way now. BTW, the caramel extract I put in the yogurt is yummy with my 3 oz. chunky applesauce and Fiber One. I'm visualizing caramel apples.

ellabella 01-13-2012 11:08 AM

Hah, Bobbi…LOVED you yawning at qi gong!!! See? That confirms it! I am a slug and you are a jackrabbit by nature. I’m just hoping to coax the slug in me to become graceful and energy-efficient. So far, so okay, actually. Pushed a bit more during last night’s session, and it felt amazingly good.

I’m paying a lot less attention to what I eat, although I AM eating mostly what’s recommended for a Taoist diet. Still haven’t attempted the caffeine elimination, but I expect that I will eventually. I made a stir fry last night that suffered from the size of my pan, which is large, but not large enough for all the veggies I tried to cook together in it. By the time everything was cooked enough, some of the stuff – parsnips and sweet potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli were overcooked while some of the other stuff was still a little too crispy. I need a big wok. I guess I’ll look for one. Oh – I also put shrimp & chicken into the stir- fry (stew). It was okay tasting but looked like icky moosh. :(

Lucinda…interesting about the wisdom teeth jewelry. Sounds sort of Native American, but didn’t they (or don’t they?) mostly stick to animal teeth and bones and such? I’m not entirely sure I’d want to wear my teeth anyplace other than in my mouth, but that’s just quirky ole’ me talking. Do you have any pictures?

Sorry you’re hurting, Gayle. I hope that lets up soon. Sometimes when I read about everyone’s aches and pains and health problems here, I feel like I’ve been lucky, you know? (Then, invariably, the hip starts to twinge or something.)

Ahhhh, Carole Sue. I was thinking your wound was a lot bigger than it evidently is. Okay, so it must be about the same size as mine was in my foot. Still ouchie, for sure, but not quite as big a problem as I was visualizing. Eat up that protein, girl! That’s what will help it to heal. (It DOES take a while, but once they finish up with all that packing and re-packing, it heals nice and clean.

Hah, Marie. I don’t know about catapulting me into the exerciser’s realm. How about “floating” into it gradually? (Thanks for the welcome, though. I AM enjoying the movement a lot and think I may be catching a glimpse of why you exercisers become sort of addicted to it).

Isabella, I’m so glad to see that you actually do eat a normal volume of food. :D

K3, I am positively delighted to hear that I’m not the only one who finds quinoa to be pretty revolting. I used to work with a woman who brought it for lunch every day with fruit mixed into it – or vegetables, or SOMETHING – and I tried it two or three times before I gave up. It’s just plain nasty, as far as I’m concerned!

Okay, gotta run….love to all the GGs on this lovely Friday (lovely because it IS Friday, and I have a three-day weekend off coming up).

Z

retiredone 01-13-2012 12:10 PM

I like quinoa. Our pastor's wife is from Peru and it is a staple food there. She makes a delicious potato and quinoa stew. I've put it in soup like you would rice and it cooks nice and soft. I've also made a pilaf type of dish with onions, peppers and other vegetables. I thought it very nice indeed. Some quinoa needs to be well rinsed before cooking or else it is bitter. Some is pre-rinsed but I rinse it anyway.

Lucinda, I think I'll pass on the wisdom teeth jewelry, but thank you for asking. I'm not a jewelry person and the tooth thing doesn't appeal to me at all. But I guess it does to some or else your DH wouldn't be making them. :) You sounded very self assured when going to the new school for your daughter.

Zoe, I had to laugh at the casual way you said your DH brought home a new car. It's as if he said, "I bought the bread, milk, eggs and the Subaru. Where do you want me to put it all?"
And yes, I do eat a normal amount of food. I love food.

Bobbi, I really like applesauce with my homemade yogurt. How did you make the caramel yogurt?

Gayle, that sciatic pain must be awful. I hope you are covered for PT. I had a very sore hip some years ago and the PT really helped.

Chickadee
, I love that story. I once told it as a children's story at church.

Rosey, hope you DH is coming along. How are you coping?

Here's an article about that program I watched last night. It's lengthy so skip over it if you wish. :)

Quote:

Are We Programmed to Be Fat?
A baby in the womb is exposed to man-made chemicals that may set the child up for obesity later in life.

That’s the message in “Programmed to Be Fat?,” a documentary airing on CBC’s The Nature of Things Thursday that looks at the controversial new science linking environmental chemicals to the obesity epidemic.

The documentary follows three scientists in different U.S. labs who had been testing endocrine-disrupting chemicals for other effects, such as toxicity, but began noticing their lab animals were unusually fat. They came across a study in an alternative medicine journal by a Scottish doctor who had pored over existing research and connected the endocrine disruptors to obesity.

The chemicals in question interfere with the body’s endocrine system resulting in adverse developmental effects. These endocrine-disrupting substances are found in many products including plastics, metal cans, flame ******ants, cosmetics, pesticides.

“We may be creating generations, ongoing generations, that will always be a little bit fatter,” says Bruce Mohun, director of the documentary. “That’s the big fear.”

Here’s an edited version of the Star’s conversation with Mohun.

How would a mother’s exposure to these chemicals during pregnancy affect the child’s future obesity?

Essentially these endocrine-disrupting chemicals, which mimic hormones, get into the mother’s body and into the fetus through the placenta and tweak the system a wee bit. Receptors receive the hormones which tell how fat or skinny the child should be depending on the environment they’ll be born into, but these receptors are not very precise. They acknowledge anything that looks like a hormone.

What about exposure after birth, does that add to a tendency to gain weight?

These hormone-mimicking chemicals are still capable of affecting the receptors and how the endocrine system works until the end of puberty. They can change how much fat the body stores and how many fat cells are in the body.

The researchers you interviewed devised animal studies to look at these chemicals and obesity. What did these mice studies show?

If you give pregnant mice tiny amounts of endocrine-disrupting chemicals, like two parts per billion, their offspring will be fatter than control mice. It was found time and time again.

How solid is this science? Is this still all theory?

Canadian researcher Alison Holloway from McMaster said it best: “Is it plausible that these chemicals are causing obesity? Absolutely. Has it been shown unequivocally? No.”

The key players are sure enough that something is going on here that something needs to be done. If we don’t absolutely need these chemicals we should get rid of them.

You say in the documentary that the chemical industry hasn’t been able to reproduce the results.

There seems to be a divide. If you work in industry supported by the chemical companies your studies don’t show the same results as those done by the academic researchers.

The hormone disruption occurs with the tiniest doses, but not the large ones. How could that be?

It’s a gene effect. These systems are set up to respond to very small signals from hormones. The receptors expect just a few hormones. If they get too many signals, if they’re bombarded with endocrine-disruptors, another gene comes into play. It recognizes these aren’t legitimate signals and shuts down the receptors.

Does this mean no matter how hard you diet and exercise, you can’t lose weight?

No. Environmental chemicals would be only one of many reasons we might be overweight. They might exacerbate the effects of overeating and not exercising.

In the whole obesity puzzle, how big a role do environmental chemicals play?

I asked all the researchers that question and they have no idea. They don’t know enough about it yet.

Large human studies are now underway in various populations. What’s happening in Canada?

The Maternal Infant Research on Environmental Chemicals (MIREC) study is looking at a lot of possible chemical effects, not just obesity. About 2,000 pregnant women across the country are giving blood and urine samples, then umbilical cord samples and breast milk samples to look for chemicals. Researchers are hoping to extend the study to follow the children for a number of years so they can see who gets fat and what chemicals were in their body when they were born.

Pregnant women already have a lot to worry about. How concerned should they be? What should they do?

The same things they’re doing to avoid other possible developmental effects from environmental chemicals: try not to handle store receipts, which may contain bisphenol A; avoid food in cans and processed foods; don’t microwave plastic food containers; don’t use plastic water bottles.

[email protected]

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/diet...mmed-to-be-fat

ladyinweighting 01-13-2012 12:27 PM

Hi Everyone,

Appt with dermatologist went well. He made an appt. for me to meet with an oncologist who knows about my type of lymphoma.

Today I have a school assembly scheduled for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I will be presenting a little Charlie Brown film for the kids to learn about the disease and children who have it.

I cannot believe how out of practice I am with regards to presentations. I used to make presentations to hundreds of college faculty and never feel a bit nervous. I am feeling REALLY nervous about making this presentation to kids in the first to fourth grade. Hoping it's like riding a bicycle and I will feel fine when I start.

I have lost 3 of the 5 pounds I gained over the holidays. Hopefully, I will be back to 143 by next week.

Take care, I hope to get to read everyone's posts this evening when I get home.

Lynn

Bobbolink 01-13-2012 01:19 PM

Just another short comment to Lucinda. Zoe and Isabella thinks your DH makes jewelry from teeth bone, I thought he took the gold out of the teeth to make gold jewelry since he's a goldsmith. Who's right?

lucindaarrowspark 01-13-2012 02:15 PM

dh makes jewelry using gold and or silver. he sets the wisdom teeth into a cufflink setting he designed. Dh puts bread on our table as a fine jeweler/goldsmith. the wisdom teeth jewelry is one of his many creative/macabre creative ideas.
I will try to post some photos .

maryea 01-13-2012 02:15 PM

Good morning everyone! This will be quick because it looks like a busy day and I got up late. Hopefully Monday I will be back to the gym. Joe went this morning taking our old car and it broke down on him. Been happening a lot recently. He's taking it to a different garage hoping they can find the problem as the last one couldn't. So I may have to go pick him up. Then we have some shopping to do. I'm feeling much better. No time for personals but hope you all have a good day.

lucindaarrowspark 01-13-2012 02:18 PM

btw, he has yet to notice my change in eating habits or my less puffy appearance.
i guess he doesn't notice the change b/c I was a late night , alone eater.
But how can he not realize i haven't been gassy bloated for 2 weeks.

retiredone 01-13-2012 02:22 PM

Lucinda, sometime around June your DH will look at you and say something like this: You look different. Did you do something with your hair? Don't worry about him not noticing; he will eventually. It's how you feel that's important. Your girlfriends will be better at noticing things than your husband.