3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~January Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/249395-%7E%7Ejanuary-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

glynne 01-07-2012 11:26 PM

Good evening GG's,

One day down ~ two to go until my day off. Was a better day at work than the last two I worked.

I am feeling good about my efforts (at this battle of the bulge) ~ sort of like things are falling into place. Did my walk morning and evening. This evening, it was kind of unsettling though ~ there was a police car driving around slowly (grocery store parking lot where I have been doing my walk) ~ probably trying to make sure people were safe, but it worried me that they were watching me ~ maybe thinking that I was gonna try to get into cars and rip something off. I'm sure there must be a security camera that would show that I wasn't doing anything like that. I suppose that by now you all have noticed that I worry too much :o LOL.

I found this product that I am trying while at work. Glucerna hunger smart shake. It is for diabetics (I am only pre-diabetic so far and hope to keep it that way). It is supposed to help you manage your hunger and help minimize blood sugar spikes. At work, I get hungry before lunch time and in the late afternoons. I have a bag of snacks. They probably aren't the best choices, but were the best I could come up with in my situation ~ at my desk where I am not supposed to be eating in the first place, and because it is while I am working, I can not eat fruits or vegetables ~ would be too messy. The cheese sticks and protein bar weren't so bad a choice, but the pretzel sticks, frosted shredded wheat bites, and sugar free hard candy added a lot of points. When I was working weekends only, my points were always higher, but it kind of evened out on my days off when I could eat different stuff. Now that my schedule has changed, my points are higher more days than not. Sometimes, I would eat all those snacks, and it would put me over my daily amount. Other days, I would eat only part of the stuff or none. Today with that shake (I sipped it off and on ~ took the edge off my hunger), I didn't eat any of those snacks. That shake seemed to work to help me not be hungry. My DH will probably fuss about the cost (it is almost $2 a bottle, but if I don't have to buy the other stuff ~ it should even out I think.

Ok, I guess I'd better quit fooling around on here and get to bed.

Hope you all rest well.

Night night

the slim me 01-08-2012 09:34 AM

Good Morning GG's,

It's supposed to be in the 40's today! It will feel like spring. I might even get outside and take a walk instead of using the treadmill. And it's a weight day, so I'll do that later today too. Eating has been fairly good. I'll post my menu at the end. Todays meals are planned. I just find it so helpful to plan my meals a few days in advance.

Karen, I see you've back to the WII. Good for you, and you're already seeing results. You said you might add something else later. Can I suggest hand weights? They make so much difference.

Gayle, You keep walking in that mall. Give the police something to think about! We serve Glucerna a lot in the hospital. How does it taste?

Rosie, Husbands never listen to us do they? They should know we know everything!

Marie, My body is falling apart, but I still feel young in my mind too. When do we actually feel like we're old? Never, I hope.

Love, Welcome, We love to talk to new people and get new ideals.

Chickey, I hope you're feeling better. Hormones stink. Menopause was when I got the most migraines, from all those ups and downs. Good news, they don't last forever.

Isabella, my kriptonight is corn chips. I will eat them untill I get sick. I seldom buy them, but DH brings them into the house occasionally.

Menu:
breakfast was: 1 whole egg and 1 egg white omlet with green pepper and onion and 1 slice of crunch oat bread. Lunch was huge salad with everything but the kitchen sink, including beets, cranberries, onion...lots of all the good vegetables. 1 tab. of low fat dressing. dinner was slice of leftover meatloaf, 1/2baked potato with 1 tab. low fat sour cream, and a box of green griant vegetables, around 100 calories for those. I usually have a snack but we ate dinner so late I didn't have anything. Couldn't sleep, so I got up around 2 oclock and read for awhile. When I'm anxious I eat. so I had a small box of blackberries. they are really cheap right now

Freda

Bobbolink 01-08-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Saturday’s Keep me Accountable menu 860 calories + 32 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, peanut butter yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds, 3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Ukrainian sweet sour cabbage soup

Supper- DH wanted oatmeal? So………cooked old fashion oatmeal with sf syrup, 2 lite toast, smuckers jam and venison breakfast sausage.

Night time Snack- ff cheesecake topped with blueberry pie filling , sf cool whip

½ serving Cinnamon crunch dry to snack on.
Happy Sunday.........my calories were purposely low yesterday because the scale hasn't moved all week. Today I'm down another pound but will make sure tomorrow when I change my ticker. Do any of your spouses ever want oatmeal for supper? Too funny but I'll not complain......easy!
Today will be visiting day with MIL, those of you that know how I feel about her will understand my reluctance in visiting her. She was a vicious, nasty person to her only son (only child) before she got dementia. Now she has no choice but to keep her mouth shut against us plus doesn't remember how hateful she was toward us. In my heart I go see her because it's the christian thing to do, not because I feel sorry for her. I can't stand her but I'm good at pretending.
Lynn...I'm finding it hard to talk about anything with MIL because she doesn't remember the past 25-30 years. Do you find that with your friend who has Alzheimer's or hasn't she lost that much memory yet?
I'm fresh out of the shower, just wanted to post my menu from yesterday. I need to go downstairs to my make-up desk and fill in the cracks on my face.
You all have a lovely Sunday and crossing my fingers for those who weigh in on Monday mornings.

Riemontana 01-08-2012 10:53 AM

Happy Sunday!

Well, you all would have laughed at me last night. I mentioned that I felt "obligated" to go to a tupperware party hosted by my friend Kenny's wife even though it was the football wildcard playoffs.:( Shortly after I arrived, I heard noise in a back bedroom. I found out that Kenny and another husband were back there watching the game. I spent most of the evening going back and forth. So, I bought tupperware, I was a good friend, and enjoyed the game :cool:

Bobbi, growing up, we often had breakfast foods for supper. It was a good "cheat" for a quick and filling meal on busy days. Of course, it usually involved huge stacks of pancakes or waffles. :o

Freda, I am back to hand weights also. I believe in it and when I am consistent, it makes me feel more physically powerful. I am back to working on pushups, too. One of my physical goals is to be able to do pushups and planks..... Yesterday I walked for more than 2 miles. The wind was a little brisk, but I enjoyed it and I even got too warm in my layers and tied my coat around my waist. My hands got cold, though, and I like to swing my arms. I guess I need to wear gloves.

LOL, Gayle, the desperado! :hug: Only someone as sweet as you would worry that the police were watching you.... I love it. I have tried the glucerna products. I worry because I felt that they were pretty high in carbs but they don't spike blood sugar so there must be something to it. I keep the glucerna snack bars in my desk for needed snacks. Just wondering:?: how will your dh know how much they cost?

Karen, I have seen that link. Thanks for sharing it. I am still logging my exercise and activities on the presidential fitness challenge site, like Lynn. Good job on getting back to your wii, and a loss. The whoosh is headed your way.

Marie, I am thinking of you and hoping that you are feeling better or at least on the mend. Call the dr in the morning, Please?:^::hug:

Sorry for anyone that I missed, I am heading out for a walk with little ds. Ok, it is not exercise, but it is movement..... Tee Hee.

Rie

retiredone 01-08-2012 11:26 AM

Lynn, I hope you're getting better. Did you pick up the antibiotic?

Rosey, I'm so glad you know what was making your DH sick. At least you can help control what he's eating.

Marie, hope you're feeling much better today. I can't wait to go shopping for Birks.

Karen31, I used to log my miles/kilometers on that thread last year before everything went haywire with my knee. Maybe I'll give it another try with the exercise bicycle.

Gayle, you'll have to get a big sign to put on the front of the shopping cart for the police to read: "Harmless" LOL. I once saw a hitchhiker holding up a sign with that on it.

Freda, Like you, I find if I plan my main meal I'm much more likely to stick to the plan. I have a menu done for January and I know I'll use that now that I've put it up on frig.

Bobbi
, I occasionally have oatmeal for supper. I know several people who eat it before going to bed. There's something comforting and filling about hot cereal and so easy and quick to make when hungry.

Rie, hear you on the obligatory tupperwear party or any such thing. lol Glad you got to see the game.

It snowed most of the night and DH was out shoveling and using the snow blower this morning. I even saw him blowing out the neighbour's back walk. This is a very nice neighbourhood where most people help each other. We've been living here since we were married and many of the neighbours have been here as long as we have.

Not much on the agenda today. I was going to make bread but haven't yet but it's only early afternoon. I just may jump up after posting and get to it. Dinner is in the making-Eggplant Parmesan, veggie meat balls (already made and in the freezer), spaghetti with a simple sauce and a green salad. that shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes to throw together. And of course, the spare room is still in a mess as I only touched the surface on Friday--and it was a very shallow surface, lol. Maybe I'll jump on the bike and start the odometer over again for a new year. I'm just in such a mellow state right now....sigh....stretch....getting up....

Bobbolink 01-08-2012 01:19 PM

Are you still not getting emails about new post? I checked under userCP, thought there was a box to check but don't see it. Anybody else know where to check this box? Or contact 3 fat chicks.(My emails are still working about new posts.)

Quote:

Good Morning GG - I used to get an email when there was a new post in GG and starting in January I don't get it anymore. Why? I always used that to click on the link to get here.

retiredone 01-08-2012 01:32 PM

I just joined in the 1000 miles in 2012. It's in the exercise threads. Karen31 posted the link yesterday.

I'm going to peel off a few layers of clothing and get on the bike. I'm already sweating thinking about it! Hahahaha

maryea 01-08-2012 06:28 PM

I posted my eating on other thread so won't repeat it here, but I did ok yesterday and so far doing ok today. I'm still about ten pounds over my lowest weight and just keep going up and down a pound or two these days. I'm still not feeling well..it's one thing after another...and I plan to call the doctor tomorrow if I'm not better.

Bobbi - I don't get emails any more not sure why.

rie - I've used a new Glucerna products when I found them on sale but don't remember the labels. Perhaps they have a lot of fiber. That can prevent the bs from spiking when consuming carbs. Protein will cause it to rise more slowly too.

Marie - I was wondering how you were doing, glad to hear you're a little better. These days, I'm saying, Thank God for Drugs!!:)

Rosey - Hope your dh is feeling better and that he will stick to his diet. Altering down is very good, Rosey!! A reason to cheer!!:carrot:

TrudyFay - WELCOME!! :)

retiredone 01-08-2012 06:46 PM

I just got off the bike and did 6k. It always feels good when I'm done. Here's what I ate today:

Quote:

Breakfast: 2 slices cinnamon swirl toast, 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, cup herbal tea, milk, clementine, 4 grapes

Dinner: Linguine (no spaghetti in cupboard), tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese,2 vegetarian meat balls, eggplant Parmesan, green salad, a little ranch dressing, 6 grapes, 1 bite coffee crisp bar

Supper
: 2 pieces fruit cake, 4 grapes

ladyinweighting 01-08-2012 07:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

My DF came to my house today. We went to lunch and then came back to my place to watch Cold Comfort Farm. She just read the book and wanted to see the movie. She liked the movie MUCH more than the book.

Tomorrow, my DD & SIL go into Philly for their Christmas present – tickets to Jersey Boys and a night at a hotel. I am SO GLAD that my SIL will get to see this play. I think he will love it.

I feel like I am eating VERY few calories but gaining weight. Either I am counting wrong, or I am eating more than I think I am eating. Guess it’s time to get serious and go back to counting and measuring.

Check back tomorrow,

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 4162124)
Lynn...I'm finding it hard to talk about anything with MIL because she doesn't remember the past 25-30 years. Do you find that with your friend who has Alzheimer's or hasn't she lost that much memory yet?

Hi Bobbi,

There are 2 issues – first language (losing words). She tries to converse, but cannot come up with about every third word. VERY difficult to follow her sentences. Second is memory – her short-term memory is just about gone. I just tell stories. Asking her questions just makes her uncomfortable. It is really surprising how much of normal conversation is actually asking and answering questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredone (Post 4162211)
Lynn, I hope you're getting better. Did you pick up the antibiotic?

Hi Isabella,

Yes, Cipro – need to take 2 pills/day for 5 days. Today was day #2. So far, so good. Spasms are gone and the medicine is not making me sick.

akrosey49 01-08-2012 09:52 PM

Hi everyone. quiet day around here.dh was napping most of the day and i did some sewing and laundry. dh still feels washed out but no belly pain. hoping u all had a great weekend (((hugs))) rosey :wave:

breakfast
1 boiled egg,coffee, 1/2 bannana

lunch
1 cup turkey salad(chunked turkey,apple,celery,onion,walnuts, 1/2 T mayo splash of lemon juice)

snack
coffee mocha smoothie

supper
1 slice moose roast with 1 cup vegies

glynne 01-08-2012 11:00 PM

Good evening GG’s,

Here is a sample of a day’s meals for me when I am doing pretty good. This was today:
Breakfast: Oatmeal packet, ½ scoop protein powder, 2T raisins, 1/8th red apple & 1/8th green apple cut in chunks and all mixed together. (I got that idea from the oatmeal they serve at McDonalds). Coffee with 1T creamer. Greek yogurt.

Snack: bottle of Glucerna hunger smart shake (chocolate flavor ~ tastes like chocolate milk) I sip on this and make it last the whole shift. (I just started doing this ~ trying it out to see if it will help with my hunger between meals, and hoping that with it, I can do away with the other stuff I munched on ~ pretzels, bite size frosted shredded wheats, sugar free hard candy, protein bar and cheese sticks). So far it seems to have worked. I haven’t had to use those other snacks.

Lunch: Turkey sandwich on wheat bread with lettuce and Miracle Whip Lite. Fruit salad 1C (it has banana, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, pineapple and mandarin orange).

Supper: salad (lettuce, celery, cucumber, carrots, tomatoes) FF ranch dressing, topped with FF shredded cheddar cheese, 1 portion ham chunks and mushrooms. (It looks so pretty and colorful and fresh).

Dessert or snack: banana and orange cut up and mixed together.

Comes up to 26 WW points plus. I am allowed 29 points plus. It is probably a little more ~ I didn’t measure the salad dressing.

I eat like that pretty much every day when I am eating right. I don’t get bored with it. I (like some of the rest of you have mentioned) like not having to think about it. I do vary it by using different salad dressings or meat toppings (tuna or imitation crab meat, or chicken) on my salad. Also, I alternate at my work lunch ~ a sandwich one day and a lean cuisine the other day. During the warmer weather, I was eating Kashi Go Lean Crunch with skim milk and ½ a banana cut up on it for breakfast. But I eat pretty much the same thing all the time.

On my days off, I will sometimes have sort of breakfast sandwich ~ an English muffin with an egg, Canadian bacon and a slice of FF cheese and some orange juice. Then for lunch the Weight Watchers Zero point vegetable soup and a salad. On my days off, I eat more frequent small meals ~ I think that helps me ~ I am not able to do that at work. Snack on a vegetable plate and dip. Maybe apple slices with peanut butter. Or in warmer weather, I cut up some cantalope and put some frozen raspberries with it. I like colorful foods/meals.

I am having fun with my grocery store parking lot walking. Today, I was thinking as I drove along that some day I was probably (out of habit) going to forget to turn to the grocery store for my walk and keep heading to work. Well, that happened this morning. I was yacking to mom (I talk to her on my way to and from work every day) and forgot ~ kept thinking ~ wasn’t there something I was supposed to stop and do. Duh ~ my walk. I was too far past it, so proceeded on and walked at the grocery store (same one) by my work place. The one there is not as pretty of a setting. No (or not as many) trees. News headline tonight ~ Crazy cart pushing grandma sited at yet another local HEB (just kidding). I guess hanging out with Maddie and her wonderful imagination has kicked mine into gear ~ LOL.

Then this evening, if anyone saw me as I was walking ~ I was talking to mom on my cell (using an ear wire ~ so hands free) probably looked like I was talking to myself. Pushing my cart around and laughing (because I told Mom that if anyone stopped me and asked me what I was doing, I thought I could tell them that I couldn’t remember where I had parked my car) ~ they would probably have thought I was some kind of crazy woman. Mom and I had fun thinking about it and laughing. Then shared with my sister and neice and laughed some more.

All in all, I feel pretty good about things ~ hopeful again. Now if I could just get rid of this stupid sciatic pain…….

Guess I’d better quit fooling around and head to bed. Two days down ~ one more to go. Sorry this got so long. Thank you all for reading ~ you are helping me by letting me tell my long winded stories ~ keeps my hands busy and out of the food.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care

glynne 01-08-2012 11:10 PM

Bobbi ~ I haven't had a chance to look ~ if you haven't already ~ would you be willing to post your recipe for the Ukrainian sweet sour cabbage soup? Sounds yummy.

lucindaarrowspark 01-09-2012 07:25 AM

good monday morning my fellow golden girls. I am a new york mom to 5. i have been committing myself to being a saner sugarless me since the week prior to News years eve.
I am following my doctors orders,( given to me months ago.) to lower my intake to 900 calories a day.
I am inspired by all of you, so I am back. on track and I am abstaining from mid- week booze, stuffing my belly till I ache andwhat ever else blocks the life I was born to lead. i am a vegan who is chubby. but I won't be chubby much longer. right?

glynne 01-09-2012 07:54 AM

Welcome Lucinda ~ way to go getting back on track ~ you can do this