3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~January Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/249395-%7E%7Ejanuary-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

glynne 01-10-2012 01:21 PM

Freda ~ would you share that recipe for the roasted kale leaves ~ sounds like a good healthy snack.

jess1 01-10-2012 01:38 PM

Good Hola, All….
Finally, checking in. Actually, even after all this time, there isn’t much to report. It’s been pretty quiet around here!

Lynn – I’m so impressed with your devotion to your friend. You are a truly good friend to her! I hope you’re feeling better, too!

I’ve been doing on-line surveys for years, and they pay money. It’s not a lot, but it’s a couple of hundred dollars every year, usually. Synovate; My Survey; Knowledge News are a few of the legitimate ones that I know and use. I’ve never had any luck with any of the sweepstakes (too much response?). I’ve never had any of the above try to sell me anything. If they ask for a referral name, feel free to use mine.

Marie – are you well and healthy again? I remember, back in the olden days before my blessed spaying, the awful pre-TOM times. They were never worth it!

Gayle – did you ever get a response from your boss about the email your sent? I thought it was fair, and I hope you didn’t get any flak from it.

Chickadeee – did you get rid of your migraines? Bobbi can commiserate with you… and, Bobbi – you haven’t mentioned migraines in ages. Did the hardwood floors make all the difference for you?

Rosey – is DH okay??

Mary – somewhere in my long absence, I missed your update on the AZ house. What’s going on there? Did the short sale come through, I hope?

KarenFL – good girl to check in for me… yes, I do worry, but not as much as before. All my golden chickies are accounted for, so I’ve relaxed!

Bobbi – that cabbage recipe sounds really good. I’m such a cabbage girl! I have a box of the vegetable flavor boosters in the cupboard but haven’t tried them; tonight, sausage and cabbage will be a good dinner.

CarolSue – I hope you’re healing well! It’s scary when you have to remind the “professionals” how to do their jobs!

GardenDivaCarol – love your picture!

CK – won’t the vet let you take both Darlings at the same time? What a nuisance to take Ginger this month and Sissy next month! How is Sissy’s leg?

Nothing to report! All is status quo... work is good... GM is good... SamCat is PERFECT... all is well!

PT/Zoe - send an Izzy picture! All newbies, welcome! Everyone, have a lovely rest of the day!! :hug:

ladyinweighting 01-10-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardendiva (Post 4165279)
Hello everyone, I just posted an intro to myself in the bios thread, and decided to join the January girls discussion. Thanks for the warm welcome I got! I hope to give as much as I get from everyone.

I haven't quite figured out what kind of a plan I will follow...I've got no patience for meticulous calorie counting, found low carb makes me ravenous with cravings and miserable. I think I will focus on nutritious, not very processed foods, really watch my sugar intake and eat lots of lean protein.

I plan on being diligent about getting in some form of workout at least 5 or 6 days a week.
Carol

Hi Carol,

Welcome!

After MANY years of MANY kinds of diets, I have settled on "Eat less - Exercise more." Keep some kind of record of what you are eating & how much you are exercising. If you are losing - GREAT! If you are not losing, cut back on your eating or increase your exercising.

Lynn

Karen31 01-10-2012 01:50 PM

Hello there! Wow-- been a lot going on since I was here this morning. Just thought I would pop in for a minute.

Donna, I could take both girls in at the same time but when you figure it is going to be at least $100 for each and all the tests/vaccines they get I'd rather split it up! I kind of have a feeling that your little Diva Ginger is going to be told to lose a few pounds and probably need a dental done on her too.

Sissy seems to be doing much better. I hope! Seems like maybe the glucosamine/choindroitin is working! In fact, I decided that I will start taking that now too! Glad it is pretty cheap through Puritan Pride! My legs didn't want to go to sleep last night and my knees and ankles seemed to hurt worse than my legs actually. So figure it can't hurt!

OK, need to get cleaned up a bit and get ready to take Ginger.

Have a Great Day!

ladyinweighting 01-10-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riemontana (Post 4165601)
Lynn, good luck at your appointment. When I read your post, I was so humbled that I was whining about the dentist. :hug: Be well, friend.

Hi Rie,

Strangely enough, my cancers cause me the least problems of my MANY ailments.

Dentist, is NOT one of my problems. Mine is VERY cute - when he was young, he looked a LOT like Michael J. Fox. He is also VERY cuddly. I always get BIG hugs. Other than relatives, he is the only man from whom I get hugs!

BTW - I am only about 2,000 points away from my silver medal.

Lynn

Bobbolink 01-10-2012 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good News, we found two pairs of high end blue jeans at a local department store on the clearance rack, $19.99 each. Never heard of them, "Bailey's Pt." has some black leather on the back pockets.
Rosie...I was thinking of you today when I heard the record snow you're getting in Alaska. Right now it's 54 degrees out and climbing. I hung up two more loads of washed clothes. We've set record after record this year and I hate not having snow to play in. But love still hanging out newly washed clothes and bedding. Didn't need a coat out there either.

Karen31 01-10-2012 04:36 PM

Love the picture Bobbi!!! I'm loving this weather and don't miss the snow one bit!! Although it is pretty dry and we could use some rain!!

retiredone 01-10-2012 04:44 PM

Today's eats and exercise.

Quote:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal (with flax, bran & wheat germ), brown sugar, milk, 1 slice ww toast, 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut butter, 2 tablespoons apple sauce, 1 clementine, 1/2 banana

Dinner: 1/2 cup vegetable soup, 2 veggie chicken fingers, homemade French fries!!!, coleslaw, 3 chocolate covered peanuts

Supper: 1 cup vegetable soup, 1 apple, 10 grapes

Exercise: 6.51 k--25 minutes

WebWoman 01-10-2012 05:25 PM

Retiredone,

How do you make your homemade French Fries???

retiredone 01-10-2012 06:17 PM

WebWoman, homemade French fries are so good. You just peel a potato(s) wash and cut into slices and then into strips. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Not the healthiest food but so good for a treat.

If I want to be healthy I do the peeling and cutting and then put the raw fries in a plastic bag and add a tablespoon or two of oil and shake together. Then I put them on a cookie tray and bake about 30 minutes or so at 375 degrees. Add salt and eat.

Sometimes I bake potatoes, let them cool, cut into wedges and spray with oil and bake them again until they start to turn golden. Leave the peels on.

akrosey49 01-10-2012 07:36 PM

Hi everyone..welcome newbies :hug: its been a crazy couple of days. my dh had an appt with our dr yesterday. he had been complaining of his arm hurting where the iv was when he was in the hosp. well she thought he had a blood clot so off to the hosp where he had an ultra sound and yes that what it was. so now im giving him blood thinner shots 2x a day and hes to do nothing. his blood work showed that he has a high allergin level so she put him on an elimination diet for 2 weeks. no eggs,wheat,fish,shrimp,pork,peanuts or dairy and fat free. yikes hes not a happy camper. aft 2 weeks he can add one of those items at a time and see what reaction he gets. she's also sending him to an allergist,and he has an mri scheduled for thurs for his shoulder. shheeesh he says hes falling apart, other than being tired im fine, on a lighter note my dr didnt recognize me at first..she said i was a "cute" old lady. hmmm never benn called that befor.:dizzy: the weather has been crazy cold and blowing snow. we have alot but cordova made the national news .Bobbie loved the picture and im jealous of your weather. im feeling a nap coming on so will check in later :wave: rosey

Karen31 01-10-2012 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WebWoman, Isabella and whoever this might interest...I have this recipe from a long time ago from the book--In The Kitchen with Rosie.....It is a recipe that Oprah loves. Just thought that I would share it with you.

Got Ginger all taken care of at the vet today---she went from 9 lbs last year to 9.8 this year... They still aren't yelling at her so guess she is OK. Of course my purse is a little lighter after that to the tune of $96! They suggested we do a dental on her (which I thought they probably would) but I am going to wait until next month when everything dental is 10% off!! We'll see how that goes...

Rosey, so sorry that your DH is still not doing well. And men are so hard to take care of when they don't feel good. One minute they want your attention and the next they don't even want to be in the same room!!! Ugh!! What do you do? I'll keep him in my prayers. And wonderful compliment from the Dr. today!! Congrats!!!

Hello to everyone else----take care.

lynard21 01-10-2012 08:38 PM

love the photo, Bobbi...It's warm here too.

Hi to everyone else. I'm trying very hard to eat less this week...the scale has not been my friend lately. Today:
1 cup oatmeal w. raisons'
half a grapefriut
lunch - yoplait yogurt with a few almonds tossed in
dinner: half cup onion soup (yes i had bread and cheese on top)
chicken and rice, vegies, apples sauce

NO ICE CREAM!!!

Lyn

maryea 01-10-2012 09:10 PM

Got another good sleep last night (without meds this time) and feel better today. I straightened up and dusted my office today so I can see my the surface of my desk now. :D But that's about all I did still other than the necessary daily work.

All the potato talk is making me hungry again and I just ate a bowl of potato soup! Potato is one of my favorite foods! I too make the oven-fried fries, similar to Isabella. The egg whites and cajun seasoning is new to me though Karen and I may try that. I'm sure I'll like it but my dh doesn't like things too spicy so won't be able to use much of the seasoning.

Jess - No, still waiting on approval for the short sale. The bank agent didn't call me today so I gather they are now working strictly with our realtor. By Sunday it will be a month (31 days) since our file was sent to the underwriters. At that time they said it usually takes about 30 days, but the last time they said it can take 30 or 60 days. Sure hope it settles soon. I do the surveys too. Every little bit helps if you have the time. With the sweepstakes it's a number game..you have to enter a lot to win very much usually. You might get lucky and win one right away but that is not usual. I did start winning my first month but realize I entered a lot of sweeps. My first win was an wine bottle opener. Still have it. We rarely drink wine so don't know why I entered but I used to enter about everything I wanted to win so badly. Or maybe I was going for another prize and that's what I got. I like the sweeps that give out a lot of prizes because even if you don't get the big prize you may win something. The smaller prizes are easier to win and esp those that are not over advertised and that allow entry in many ways (like by snail mail, in-stores and online). Too many people enter those. But basically you just have to enter a lot.

Karen3 - I started reading Haunting Jordan yesterday. Just finished the second chapter. I've got the idea of it but that's about it.

Riemontana 01-10-2012 09:30 PM

Hello Goldens,

Sure am glad that you guys are here for a distraction. I had a little more cutting and stitching in my mouth today. :( ow. On a positive note I got most of the other stitches out and he says it is looking really good. He expects a good result. I don't even want to think about the bill....

Bobbi, I loved the picture. My mom has been sick and she hung her bedding out this morning to "kill the germs" It is getting colder here tonight and we are expecting a skiff of snow. Besides, I know that she just really loves the smell of those fresh sheets.

Freda, I occasionally pull a night shift to spend time with my staff. Brutal. I usually just end up staying up till the next night and then crashing.

Mary, glad that you rested well and are on the mend. The sweepstakes stuff sounds fun but I just don't have the time. I used to be on a site that did product surveys and I won $100. I haven't done it for a long time.

Donna, I am so glad that GM is good and Samcat is perfect! I'm not sure that we can expect more than that!

Lyn, that looks good to me on your eating. You will be on the river for sure this summer!

I do enjoy potatoes and my dh has made them several ways. My favorite is when he pre bakes, cuts in julienne, spritzes with a tiny bit of oil, and roasts until crispy. I think they are better and cook without with less oil. We like garlic, onion, and cajun seasonings. Also sometimes we use smoked paprika - yum.

Oh Rosey, I feel sorry for your dh and I feel sorry for you. :hug: Hoping that he gets to the bottom of everything soon.

Caddyk, I am glad that the vet wasn't crabby about the little one's weight. Having the dear ones gets expensive but it is worth it.

Well, I am off to take some pain meds, check on Fb and gork for the evening. Take care.

Rie