3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~January Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/249395-%7E%7Ejanuary-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

the slim me 01-12-2012 10:32 AM

Good Morning GG's

Instead of the snow we were supposed to get, we're getting rain. I guess water is water, no matter what form it comes in. I hope. Is there a reason farmers need snow? I'm sure one of you know. maybe you Rie? Not much to do today, but I am out of groceries. Like milk and eggs and bread groceries. the cubbard is pretty well bare. So like it or not, it's time to go grocery shopping.

Lucinda, Sounds like we're getting the same weather. And yes, when it cold and wet it just seems to chill me to the bone. As much as I love Kale, I simply can not imagine it in oatmeal. Trying to imagine the spicy bite of kale with the creamy taste of oatmeal. Nope, can't imagine.

Bobbi, I've tried meditation too and it just makes me crazy. I can't turn off my mind, and i either make lists of things I need to be doing or try to count the seconds when it will be done. I'm pretty sure that is not what they want you doing.

Carol (GD), I get in trouble from time to time when I forget what a serving size looks like. I do well for awhile and then I start measuring a little on the generous side and out comes the measuring cups. I hope the new site makes it easier for you to keep count and you see some results soon.

CarolSue, I'm so sorry you are having this problem. I hope it resolves soon. It's not that unusual and it does heal eventually, if that helps any. are you eating lots of protein? that helps too. Men tend to get angry when they get frustrated. I'm sure he wants to help and don't know how. men! I hope we get some good news today about the Dr. visit.

Marie, I'm happy to see that you are posting again, even if you're not 100% better. At least you got some help and are on your way up. What was the problem again? What did the Dr. prescribe? So glad you're not in terrible pain.

Mary, These kids and their quick fixes! lap ban surgery is not the do-all-end-all it seems to be. You have some serious side affects and still have to watch what you eat. You do get some awsome results, but it's not ease. Just ask our Rosie.

Speaking of Rosie, I hope DH is feeling better. Do you have a list of things that bother him now? or do you just have to play around with it untill you come up with a plan? Those stuffed peppers you mentioned have made me hungry. That just might be dinner.

Gayle, I am so happy that you found a way to exercise that you can follow. that is so kull! You figured it out yourself and you're sticking to it. In about another week you should find that you have less leg pain and are stronger. Go Girl!!!

Lynn, How are you?

Karen3, yes you are strong and you will get through this! You are sounding more like your old self all the time.

Donna, are you snowed in up there?

Z, now you i can see doing that kind of exercise! Glad you finally found something that appealed to you.

Freda

Riemontana 01-12-2012 11:42 AM

Good Morning Goldens!

It appears that we are busy girls today. Lots of activities going on. Today I am working and I plan a trip to the health food store for my flax seeds and a couple other small items. I have a tournament tomorrow night and I hope to spend some time with my folks this weekend. Or, at least my mom, she seems down in the dumps lately. I try to talk to her on the phone daily, if not every other day, but I'm thinking that she needs some TLC.

Freda, the regular cycle of refreshing the earth with moisture is important. All areas get snow (water) runoff in the spring from the mountain snow. This goes into rivers and lakes to be used for irrigation. However, the normal moisture in the soil, and more importantly the ground water levels under ground, are dependent on annual precipitation. Believe me, we are VERY concerned here. It is dry as a bone. Yesterday, there was even dust blowing - in January!

Marie, I am glad that you got the pain meds and I am waiting to hear about test results. Thinking of you. I am glad that you are surrounded by your furbabies and it sounds like your dh is being his usual nice guy.

Bobbi, don't you just love the PB2 stuff? It is so versatile. I like it in smoothies, stir fry, and I dip apple slices in it every morning at breakfast. I typically don't mix it with water. I like the way it dissolves on my tongue when it is powdered. Yum. Oh, and the point on your foot between your toes is a reflexology point for headaches. There is also one on your hand - between your thumb and index finger. Squeeze it hard for 60-90 seconds.

Zoe, I looked up qi gong and it sounds really cool. My ds still does tai chi and I have occasionally joined him. It is a little sedate for me but anything that connects mind and body is a bonus. The important thing is that it works for you and makes you feel better.

Carol, I randomly measure things to keep me on track. Lose it gets great reviews. I think it is motivating to look at my results at the end of the day and see how well I have done for the day.

Carol Sue, I am so sorry about your wound care. It sounds like you are doing everything that you need to get it to heal. I wish you were better here right now, but I know it will happen. My mom always says that my dad gets mad at her about health issues but I know that it is just his manly desire to fix everything. I'm betting that he is just mad at at the world because you are hurting. But, if not, I will be there with the GG brigade to re-educate him ;)

Gayle, you are doing so great! Keep it up.

Mary, I hope you enjoyed your time with the kids.

Donna, how much snow did you get? She says with jealousy.....

Caddyk, you got snow too????

Karenfl, more than any of us, you are in a position to empathize with Carol Sue about her recovery. So glad that you are among us again.

Nancy, I am hoping that you are lurking and taking whatever steps you need to protect yourself.

Rosie, hoping that your dh feels better soon. I know it is wearying to care for them, they make such troublesome patients. I think my mom's issues right now are about taking care of my dad - he is trying to adjust to cpap machine and is pretty crabby. I hope that your sunny nature can sustain you and you can find time for some of the crafts that make you feel good. Hugs.

Lucinda, Yay on the onplan and off pound :D! You are doing great. I too, can't imagine the kale in oatmeal. I have been known to eat something like a chicken breast for breakfast but not kale. Whatever works for you, darlin.

Well, I need to get back to work! Be back later!

Rie

Karen31 01-12-2012 11:50 AM

Good Morning! It is pretty cold here like 19 degrees and it did snow a little. Mostly on the grass but it is too cold to do anything! I started a pot of veggie soup in the crock pot last night and the house really smells good! I had a couple of small steaks that I cut up into bite size pieces and added that so guess it may be more of a beef veggie soup.

It sounds like everyone is busy today. I may take this day (after visiting Wii) to gork. It seems like a good day for it!

Have a great day!

Riemontana 01-12-2012 12:11 PM

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Good Morning Goldens!

It appears that we are busy girls today. Lots of activities going on. Today I am working and I plan a trip to the health food store for my flax seeds and a couple other small items. I have a tournament tomorrow night and I hope to spend some time with my folks this weekend. Or, at least my mom, she seems down in the dumps lately. I try to talk to her on the phone daily, if not every other day, but I'm thinking that she needs some TLC.

Freda, the regular cycle of refreshing the earth with moisture is important. All areas get snow (water) runoff in the spring from the mountain snow. This goes into rivers and lakes to be used for irrigation. However, the normal moisture in the soil, and more importantly the ground water levels under ground, are dependent on annual precipitation. Believe me, we are VERY concerned here. It is dry as a bone. Yesterday, there was even dust blowing - in January!

Marie, I am glad that you got the pain meds and I am waiting to hear about test results. Thinking of you. I am glad that you are surrounded by your furbabies and it sounds like your dh is being his usual nice guy.

Bobbi, don't you just love the PB2 stuff? It is so versatile. I like it in smoothies, stir fry, and I dip apple slices in it every morning at breakfast. I typically don't mix it with water. I like the way it dissolves on my tongue when it is powdered. Yum. Oh, and the point on your foot between your toes is a reflexology point for headaches. There is also one on your hand - between your thumb and index finger. Squeeze it hard for 60-90 seconds.

Zoe, I looked up qi gong and it sounds really cool. My ds still does tai chi and I have occasionally joined him. It is a little sedate for me but anything that connects mind and body is a bonus. The important thing is that it works for you and makes you feel better.

Carol, I randomly measure things to keep me on track. Lose it gets great reviews. I think it is motivating to look at my results at the end of the day and see how well I have done for the day.

Carol Sue, I am so sorry about your wound care. It sounds like you are doing everything that you need to get it to heal. I wish you were better here right now, but I know it will happen. My mom always says that my dad gets mad at her about health issues but I know that it is just his manly desire to fix everything. I'm betting that he is just mad at at the world because you are hurting. But, if not, I will be there with the GG brigade to re-educate him ;)

Gayle, you are doing so great! Keep it up.

Mary, I hope you enjoyed your time with the kids.

Donna, how much snow did you get? She says with jealousy.....

Caddyk, you got snow too????

Karenfl, more than any of us, you are in a position to empathize with Carol Sue about her recovery. So glad that you are among us again.

Nancy, I am hoping that you are lurking and taking whatever steps you need to protect yourself.

Rosie, hoping that your dh feels better soon. I know it is wearying to care for them, they make such troublesome patients. I think my mom's issues right now are about taking care of my dad - he is trying to adjust to cpap machine and is pretty crabby. I hope that your sunny nature can sustain you and you can find time for some of the crafts that make you feel good. Hugs.

Lucinda, Yay on the onplan and off pound :D! You are doing great. I too, can't imagine the kale in oatmeal. I have been known to eat something like a chicken breast for breakfast but not kale. Whatever works for you, darlin.

Well, I need to get back to work! Be back later!

Rie

jess1 01-12-2012 01:11 PM

Quick Hola...
Rie - we got about 4-5", no biggie. It's still fairly chilly today, but it's supposed to be in the 50's for the next week. Ah, Colorado! I'm glad to be in the one place in America where the white stuff is falling! Die, damn ants, die!

Gotta run... lots of work to do today, and it's a short day.

Onward, all. Newbies - welcome!

Bobbolink 01-12-2012 01:14 PM

http://www.planzdiet.com/ I was down stairs sewing on my blue jean quilt when a syndicated radio program came on with the author of this diet plan discussing her program. It was so interesting and if I had lots of weight to drop, I might be tempted to try it. Check it out.

ellabella 01-12-2012 01:17 PM

G’morning all. Well, it’s finally looking like winter here in New England. Snow in central MA where I live, but nothing but rain where I work in eastern MA. Worcester (where I live) had a few inches and still coming down when I left for work this morning, and when I talked with my dd about a half hour ago, she said that it had just stopped there, and that Worcester got quite a bit. As I drove southeast, it tapered off to sleet and then nothing but rain. Not too cold, though – supposed to hit 40 degrees, so hopefully the roads going home will be nice and clear.

About the qi gong – here’s an interesting link to a short YouTube segment talking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8IlnoTMOGs

Once you get into the whole practice, the exercises become increasingly strenuous in terms of stretching and flexing and such, but yes, Bobbi, qi gong actually is about meditation, and the movements are slow and graceful (although in my case, I don’t think they’re all that graceful – hopefully they will be someday) and meant to channel the flow of energy. Both dh and I are really enthusiastic about it, and have been doing a series of exercises/ meditations every night before we go to bed. (It’s not just sitting with your eyes closed). I would have to say that this is something that I can really understand and be comfortable with because I feel like there’s some meaning to it beyond just building muscle or increasing strength, etc. I have to admit that I’m just not good with that kind of exercise because (1) I’m too lazy and (2) I get bored. But, naturally, different things work for different folks – if the GGs aren’t a living example of that, I don’t know what is!

Freda, dh said the same thing the other day when I was talking about how glad I was that it hadn’t snowed yet. He said the ground needed the water it gets from snow – and rain, of course – but that dry winters are not good for growing things. Ah, well. They’re good for me because I don’t want to grow anymore…at least not physically, y’know?

Lucinda…kale in oatmeal, eh? Maybe I’ll try it sometime. Maybe. Frankly, I’m pretty much with Freda on it’s not ringing any “yum” bells with me. Speaking of which, will somebody please provide directions on making kale chips that will work? I’ve tried it a couple of times, and wasn’t very impressed with the results…and I really like kale!

Marie, SO good to see you again…sorry you’re still experiencing pain, but glad it seems manageable. I’m the same way, of course…like to curl up in a ball and shut everything out when I’m not feeling well. :hug:

Gayle, you sound like you’re really kicking some you-know-what with your exercise….great attitude, too! I love it!

Rie, I kinda figured you’d get it….about the qi gong, I mean. Tai chi is actually one form of it, if I understand correctly.

Hope dh feels better soon, Rosey…taking care of a sick man is no picnic.

Hiya CaddyK, K3, everybody else…I’m running out of time, here.

PT, you doin’ okay? Snowed in yet?

Have a good one, GGs!

Z
:grouphug:

retiredone 01-12-2012 02:38 PM

This might prove interesting to those of you who can get Canadian TV.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/epi...to-be-fat.html

It is a program called "Programmed to Be Fat." I'm going to watch it tonight. After the program is aired it is usually available on line as well.

chickadeee55 01-12-2012 04:42 PM

Hi Everyone.

Seems like I have been gone for awhile, so thought I would stop in and say HI!:carrot:

Everyone is so busy and I have been stopping to read the posts. Carol Sue I am thinking of you, hope you get back on the road to a quick recovery, and stop taking these detours. Please relax and get well.

We have snow today, actually a blizzard, warnings until 9 am, 5 inches due. What a change from 50's on Wednesday.

Everyone stay warm.

akrosey49 01-12-2012 04:42 PM

Hi everyone. Its snowing like crazyout grrrr. nothing new to share samo around here Hope your day is great :wave: rosey

breakfast
coffee,greek yogurt

lunch
1/2 c gr grapes, slice of cheddar cheese,1 moose terraki stick(like a slim jim)

snack
coffee mocha
2 cups air popped pop corn

dinner
baked chix breast,green salad

retiredone 01-12-2012 04:45 PM

Everyone seems to be posting links today. :)

Had a fairly busy day today. Did a little cooking: made dinner, made yogurt and started green pea soup for tomorrow. Also made a lentil roast with some of the leftover lentils from yesterday. Then after dinner I tackled the drawers in the bathroom vanity. Found 2 big wisdom teeth in a baggie down in the bottom of one of the drawers. I do believe they belong to one of the boys, although I'm safe in assuming they won't be needing them anymore. :D I also filled out a pension form for a small pension I'll be receiving from a private school I once worked at. Then I made DH supper (soup and pb&j sandwich, wipes sweat from brow). I ate leftovers from dinner.

It's pretty cold today in my neck of the woods. It was -10 C (14 F) here but in Labrador (the northern mainland part of Newfoundland & Labrador) schools were closed for younger students as the windchill was -45 C (-49 F) up in the big land. Brrrr....I'll take -10 C. any day.

Here are my eats and exercise for today.

Quote:

Breakfast: 1/2 fruit smoothie with a good dollop of ff yogurt, 1 slice ww bread, 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter, 2 tablespoons applesauce

Dinner: 2 veggie meatballs, 1/2 serving lentil roast, mashed potatoes, carrots, cabbage, turnip, ff gravy, 2 slices pickled beet, 1 gherkin pickle

Supper: leftover carrot and turnip, 1/2 fruit smoothie with couple spoons of homemade ff yogurt, 1 bite coffee crisp bar

Exercise: 7.31 km, 27 minutes

chickadeee55 01-12-2012 04:48 PM

Hi,

I wanted to share this, I thought it was special, a friend sent it to me and made me cry. We all are special in our own way. Enjoy:

An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole
which she carried across her neck.

One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always
delivered a full portion of water.

At the end of the long walks from the stream to the house, the cracked pot
arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the woman bringing home only one
and a half pots of water.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments.

But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that
it could only do half of what it had been made to do.

After two years of what it perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the woman
one day by the stream.

'I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes water to leak out
all the way back to your house.'

The old woman smiled, 'Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the
path, but not on the other pot's side?'

'That's because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds
on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them.'

For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the
table.

Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace
the house.'

Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have
that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding.

You've just got to take each person for what they are and look for the good in
them.

So, to all of my cracked pot friends, have a great day and remember to smell the
flowers on your side of the path!

Bobbolink 01-12-2012 06:04 PM

Thanks Chick, I've read it before and it's still inspiring...cracked pots that we are.
Glynne...hope you can catch Dr. Oz on Monday. He has a segment on imaginary surgery, or something like that. I just caught the end of it so not sure if it's diet related.
Carol Sue hasn't checked in yet, I wonder if they kept her at the hospital?

Marie 01-12-2012 06:15 PM

Caroldiva, I'm glad you liked the first day of LoseIt! The program gets easier because you have your list of foods. I love that I enter something once and it's in my Faves forever more. Makes it so easy.

Oh but Lucinda, I can empathize with your DH on not wanting to bother the doctors. For me I just didn't want to go. Medical profession isn't in high regards from my experience. But sometimes one has to bite the bullet. I did fill the pain killer but I would never take them unless I'm writhing in pain. Apparently last Thursday's level was to the point I should have been in the emergency room. Since our local hospital is nicknamed Die West (It's really Sky Lakes and before they changed their name, it was Merle West and that was nicknamed Murder West). So I really didn't want to go there. BTW Great job on losing the pound. Look at a box of butter and know that butter was deleted from your body.

Bobbi, I hope Minnesota is blanketed with the white stuff so you can go play in it. I'm thinking of taking my dog scooter out of storage since clearly I won't be skijoring with my doggies anytime soon. But I did walk them the entire normal length hike (1.5 miles) this morning before work all by myself. That was great. I chatted at them the whole way except when I was chatting at the full moon. Dark walks with a headlamp are peaceful.

Freda, we're in the testing mode to know what it happening. Best guess is right ovary cyst (of unknown kind since pre-approval from ins needed for the ultrasound). They also did gene testing since I have ovarian and breast cancer family history. The pain isn't gone but gone enough for me to be back to my playing. I figure I have 3 weeks before it is probable to restart. So I am going to play, play, play. It sounds like it could be a while to plan the course. And I think that when it's drought, rain or snow is good. Snow takes longer to sponge into the earth so it gets deeper. Rain can just run off hardened soil.

Rie, I'm like you. I randomly will measure something after I've put it on the plate. Most of the time I'm pleasantly surprised to see that I under-served. But then when I'm ignoring my LoseIt program, I don't seem to care about the portion size. So my magic wand on the fat cells is LoseIt and random measuring. We have no snow here or up in the elevations. Fire season is going to be atrocious.

KarenMO, I did show co-workers your FB pic of your snow and closed schools. I work for a school district and they started laughing.

Donna, glad your ants are getting avalanched.

Zoe, I'm thrilled that you're into the qi gong - you are exercising and that just catapulted you to the exercisers realm of the GGs. Glad to have you.

Isabella, I don't know if I'm programmed to be fat but I am programmed to eat chocolate. And pasta. And bread. And everything that makes me fat.

Chickadee, stay warm and dry. Make sure though lots of snow falls on the Frozen Tundra for Sunday's game. Go Pack Go. And I loved the story. Very thought provoking.

Rosey, I hope your DH is feeling better and diagnoses are being made. And good for Momma Nature in remembering how to make snow. She needs to practice on the west coast.

I found my way to Amazon and bought Just Dance 3 for my PS3 Move system. I have loved doing the Zumba exercise and decided I needed more fun. I paid the extra 3.99 for overnight shipping because I figure I have 3 weeks before the pain kicks me to the curb again. I plan to spend every minute having fun. DH is in San Antonio for some military something or other. It's just me and the doggies. I just love my doggies. I am at work today (I was some of yesterday too) and have made progress swimming out of the wave trying to drown me. Enough that I could visit here. And Zoe, you'd have been proud of me yesterday. I had my follow-up asthma/allergy appt and I saw the original doctor (one that started the practice). I told him about all the stuff his partner said last July that made me want to quit and never go back. I'm pretty sure I saw steam coming out of his ears. What was told to me wasn't an isolated incident as I had complained to many asthmatic friends. But I figure you'd be proud I stood my ground. I gave him direct quotes of the crap this "doctor" had spouted. It felt wonderful.
Marie

Karen3 01-12-2012 07:00 PM

evening all....blaaaah blaaaah yuck eeeeewuuuuu....I peeked in at the South Beach page and copied a recipe of brocolli/quinoa caserole. Followed it exactly. It tasted sorta okay, but the quinoa is like the little seeds that come in birdseed....2 hours later and those little seeds are under my tongue between my teeth....hopefully they won't swell up and explode....even Dh couldn't eat it. Great diet food because I can't swallow it....shivers blah k3