Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Arrow Age 50+ Daily Chat #1

Hello,

Please join us here as we discuss our weight loss efforts, as well as our daily lives. We share support, friendship, and accountability.

So pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, and jump right in!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Here's the new thread, so hopefully those who were staying away because they had no current craft project going on will feel free to jump back in.

Linda - I like to start a garden with seedlings, too. I guess I'm impatient! We do start veggies like lettuce from seed, of course. Ahh, the image of homegrown produce is so tantalizing!

Ruth - yay for you, getting back to the weight your ticker says! I'll have to ask Neal about some raised beds for the garden. Sounds like a good idea!

Trish - what have you been up to? Hope you're keeping nice and warm.

Carol- how are the light switch covers coming along?

Katie just walked in, so I'll chat with you later.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

This thread is a great idea, Jane, thanks for starting it!

My cross-stitch is sitting in it's basket beside my chair, but it's been sadly neglected since I've been engrossed in this darned jigsaw puzzle.

I have an extra long weekend this week, and thought today would be a good day to go to Trader Joe's, being a weekday. I forgot that there's that 4-letter word snow in the forecast for the weekend, and the store was jammed packed with shoppers. It was totally insane! I managed to get everything I went there for, though, and then some, too, but it's nice to be out of there and back home again.

So the laundry's all done and put away, I've dusted and vacuumed, did a 40 minute workout, and have a houseful of groceries. I'm set. Now I can play the rest of the day.

What's everybody up to today?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #4  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Linda - our snow is supposed to start today, with rain first. We are forecasted for only a couple of inches, so that's not too bad. I am usually the one loving the snow, but this year, I'm really ready for Spring. Anyway, the grocery stores will be mobbed today, but Neal is picking up a loaf of bread and some oranges on his way home from teaching. (He's retired, but fills in for a semester here and there as needed.)

Hello to anyone reading this.

Our dinner last night was so nice! We sat around the table talking for a long time, and the children had plenty to say, lol. I asked everyone individually what was the best thing that happened to them so far this week, and got some funny answers from them, lol. Btw, I'm happy to say I stayed 100% OP.

Today I have a full-blown cold, and feel sort of miserable, but wanted to pop in and say hello. Have a good Friday!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #5  

I'm sorry to hear you're suffering from a bad cold today, Jane. I hope it doesn't hang around long and you get to feeling better soon. I hope you can take it easy today and just curl up and sip hot tea all day.

I had to run out to pick up a few things I forgot at the store yesterday, and get gas. Why do people get so crazy when it snows?????? A woman almost ran me down in the crosswalk in front of Wegman's, and I had to wait in a line at the gas station for over 20 minutes. I should have just said the heck with it, but Jake insists I keep a full tank of gas when it snows.
I'm about to make a nice pot of chickpea & lentil stew for tonight's supper. I'd love to make a loaf of homemade bread to go with it, but I better scratch that since I don't know how to limit myself with it.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #6  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Linda - looks like just you and me. I feel pretty decent while I'm on meds, but can sure tell when they wear off. People around here go crazy, too, when there is a big snow coming. Like they might be isolated for weeks on end, or something. Your stew sounds very good. I like to add lots of hunky tomatoes to mine, and I bet you do, too. I hear you about the bread, and know I wouldn't be able to leave it alone, either. Sure does sound good, though, lol.

Hello to anyone else reading this. IS there anyone else reading this, lol.

We got around 2" of snow last night, but there is ice under it in some spots. I love seeing the fresh snow on the fir trees. So pretty! I had planned to just rest today, but need to get out and get an anniversary card for Katie and Clint. The date just slipped my mind! It's been 2 years for them now.... time flies!

Have a good weekend!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Jane and Linda I'm here just busy, but not sure I'm getting anything done. Hope you two are staying warm. Linda I see you are in Philly so you are getting the snow. Being from the part of TX who never get much snow, I loved it when I moved here. This year it didn't seem to have the flare for me. I am tired of the cold and ready for spring as well. Jane, it looked like the snow missed you right? However, I think you just may get the next one.

We just got the rain and it is really cold. But I'm always cold especially when trying to get my water drank for the day. So hard to do when it is cold any way. I should have made me a low carb stew. Didn't think of it. You girls stay warm. I seem stay wrapped in my snuggie as much as possible and sometimes even have to add a blanket. Couldn't be my age, you think?

I ended up doing the Metabolism Miracle Plan. I've learned it isn't really a diet so much as it is teaching the body how to handle the carbs. The weight will come off, but it is a long process while the body heals itself. I am on Step1 finishing up Week 1 tomorrow. Start Week 2 Monday. Step 1 is an 8 week program not too much different from the 1st 2 weeks of SBD. During this time the pancreas and liver is on a vacation giving them a rest. Then slowly re-introduce carbs in Step 2 which I'll follow until I get to my goal weight. In Step 1 5 g carbs are eaten every 5 hours and Step 2 11 - 20 g every 5 hours. I wasn't going to do this but the health benefits are so good that I felt that I needed to do it at my age.

Well, that is what I'm up too.

Y'all have a nice week end. We will get to go to church tomorrow They had to cancel last week because of snow and ice.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #8  
GmaTo8

Great to see you, Trish! We did get snow - about 2" of it! The plow has been past my house twice, and I plan to go to town tomorrow to get the anniversary card. When you said you weren't going to do this, did you mean the Metabolism Miracle Plan? YAY for you, making it through the 1st week.

Ruth, Carol, Marie, JoJoJo, LindaH, and all others - how's everything going for you?

Neal is off to an auction dinner and I didn't want to go to that, so I stayed home. I know the kinds of food served at that type of function, and I know it would be a real challenge that I don't need right now. We try to do what we gotta do to stay OP, right?

Toodles for now,
Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone!
Gosh, it took me a while to read all the posts I missed over on the other thread and then I got to the last page that said Jane started a new post. Yikes! I was lost for a little while, didn't think I was going to find the new thread. Glad I found you guys!!

Thanks Jane for keeping this going!!

I don't quilt but,.....I have made two "Quilts in a Day" by Burns/Barns? and had fun making those. The things you girls do with lots of pieces, I'd be so lost. I still enjoy listening to everyone talk about their quilts. I love going to the quilt show they have here once a year.

Jane-- Got the switch plates finished and the lady wants them. They will be going to Canada. I just varnished a single switch plate that I based black and then I added a vine with pink roses on it. Turned out pretty cute. Kinda "shabby". Will list it in my booth next week.

Working on a Spring sign now for a repeat lady who enjoys my style. I'm painting Daffodils for the first time. Hope I can do justice to the sign. Will add bumble bees with their little trails.

Have a lady who would like some special pins for her quilt sewing group in SD. Another lady wants more ornaments for guests at her B&B. She gives them an ornament when they leave....they're small enough to fit in the luggage. How sweet is that?

One of these days I have to start on new ornaments! Working on more than two things at the same time makes me.

I'll do anything to keep painting if it takes my mind off snacking. Since I'm home all day it's hard to stay out of the kitchen. I've been doing good though on my plan and schedule 3 meals and 2 snacks, plus all my water.

We joined the YMCA last week, and I've had so much fun taking the water aerobics classes, plus I added 2 days last week of swimming laps. If I miss the class, I do my own movements in the water. Had a walk through yesterday to learn the beginners weight machines. Thought it was time for a little resistance training. Just trying to tone and make a little more muscle. Got to do all we can, right? Hoping that going to go to the Y at least 4 times a week, will help me lose the last few pounds.

I'm below what's posted, but have to go in and move my little bee to a bit less. Yippee!! I keep along. A little at a time.

Some of you are having pretty cold days and lots of snow. Stay warm and drive safe. We're getting rain today, but should be gone by tomorrow afternoon. Saw the news last night and there were some bad mud slides down in the canyons where they had the "station fire" this past summer.

I'm ready for the spring too! I can't wait to buy some annuals for the flower bed. But we don't do that till April usually.

Nice to visit and read all your posts. Enjoyed all of them!

Carol
Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Great to see you, Trish! We did get snow - about 2" of it! The plow has been past my house twice, and I plan to go to town tomorrow to get the anniversary card. When you said you weren't going to do this, did you mean the Metabolism Miracle Plan? YAY for you, making it through the 1st week.
What I meant was that at first I wasn't going to do the Metabolism Miracle Plan because she says if you are awake during the night you should eat a little something because the liver dumps carbs equivilant to a muffin every 5 hours when a Metabolism B doesn't eat something. I didn't want to get in the habit of eating during the night. However, now that I understand how my metabolism works I feel it would be stupid for me not to learn to work with it instead of against it. I don't want to be a diabetic and have all the problems that goes with it so I decided the smart thing for me to do is to do the MM plan and learn how to prevent ever having it. I've learned that my Daddy is borderline diabetic and has been most of his life. He works to keep from being a diabetic. My babysister does South Beach and my other sister had Lapband surgery in December. I've decided that we all are probably Metabolism Bs and I'm sure my Mama was. I'm just thankful they have found out about the 2 metabolisms. Now I know why Weight Watchers didn't work for me. It is great for Met A's, but me being a Met B Weight Watchers made me hungry all the time thus all I wanted to do was eat. I am thankful that now we have a WOE for both metabolisms to lose weight and be healthy.

I had planned to do SBD, but changed my mind to do MM because of the 8 weeks of giving the pancreas and liver a rest. I felt that I needed to do that especially at my age. Otherwise I believe they would have both worked for me.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-07-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Happy Sunday to all,
Trish Thanks for the info on MM. I've never heard of it before. I did a search on it and will read the long article from the author as I go through my day.

Noticed that you mentioned W Watchers and it took me one and a half years to lose 25 pounds. I wrote down every morsel that passed my lips. Was on 18 points. I finally did reach goal, but what a struggle I had!! I was always thinking about food. I maintained for about a year, then gained it all back after Dr took me off my estrogen do to health issues. I gained it all around the middle.

Now I am on the Fight the Fat Loss Code by Wendy Chant and I have lost 15 pounds, but I have to lower my carbs even on that plan. Seems like every time I eat a carb......I have a gain. I'd take a "maintain", but the scale always goes up the next day. Hmmmm? I must be really carb intolerant.

Just trying find a plan that works for me. Feel great not eating the carbs and do get in exercise 5 days a week. We just joined our new YMCA last week. Love the water aerobic classes, and the lap swimming. Learned the beginners machines on Friday, so will start those this week.

I'm trying to figure out how to get down a few more pounds and maintain the rest of my life. Sure tired of losing the same 40 pounds!!

Carol
Old 02-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #12  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Trish - oh, I see about the MM way. You're smart to do what works for you. Sooner or later we will get to our goals, and I sure hope it's going to be sooner than later, lol. I have been overweight most of my life, and I am sick to death of it. Right now I am in a very good place mentally to lose. Btw, did you get more snow?

Carol - I'm so glad you found us. We enjoy your posts as much as you enjoy ours. The black switch plate with the vines and pink flowers sounds so pretty! Again, I envy you so much for being able to tole paint. I'm sure you'll have no trouble with the daffodils, although I imagine they would be very intricate to do. Speaking of WW, I used to mod over there. I had lost a lot of weight with it, but then gained it all back after handling maintenance poorly. I am on the wagon again, counting calories. I do try to eat mainly whole foods, and complex carbs.

Linda - I read elsewhere that you fell on the ice, and I sure hope you aren't too sore or bruised! Have you ever soaked in Epsom Salts? It sure takes the soreness out after a fall like that.

Hi to anyone else reading this.

I had my first weigh in yesterday, and I am down 5 pounds, and was ecstatic! Although I have such a long way to go, I am concentrating on only 1 day at a time.

I just have to say that I love checking in with you ladies everyday. Your personal comments to me mean a lot. Together, we will make our goals, and handle maintenance!

Toodles,
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #13  

Hi Jane, Carol and Trish!

Jane, congratulations on being down 5 lbs! It's so hard to lose weight this time of year when boredom tends to settle in and we're stuck in the house so much.

Trish and Carol, that's wonderful that the pounds are melting off for you, too! By the time summer comes around, we should all be looking nice and trim.

I haven't strayed from my diet since New Year's, but the weight doesn't seem to be coming off as quickly as I'd like. It seems I work too hard for such a small reward. But I'll eventually get to where I want to be, and at least I know I'm doing my body a lot of good by eating right and exercising. And I've sure been getting an added workout shoveling all the snow we got over the weekend. We ended up with a grand total of 23.5 inches, and another big snowstorm is supposed to hit us on Tues-Wed. I think I've had enough for this year, thank you very much.
I did have a nasty fall on some black ice in the driveway this morning, and went down hard flat on my back. I think I'm OK, although my lower back was sore and it was hard to lift my legs to go up steps. But I finally took some Advil and took a nap on the couch, and now I feel pretty much back to normal, so all is well.
It sure has been a quiet weekend without the usual hustle and bustle of having the grandkids here.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 02-07-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #14  

Jane CONGRATULATIONS on the 5lbs lost!!!! I am excited for you. No we didn't get any of the snow or sleet. They say we will only get rain Tuesday from the storm headed this direction as it is mostly going north of us.

Linda I'm so sorry you fell. I pray you are okay. I have such a fear of falling that I would not even go out to the mailbox to get the mail. DH had to do it.

Carol Hope you find what works for you whether you continue with the Fight the Fat Code or MM. We all have to find our own path to weightloss.

I agree that weightloss does seem to come off slowly, but I just pray that this time it will come off and stay off. Oh how I would love to make my goal and stay there this time. Others have done it so why can't we do it? We can!!! We just have to be patient and keep doing what we know works for us.

It is so nice Jane that we can all have a place to come and share with each other even though we may all be following different plans. That is so nice.

Good night Ladies.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #15  

Good Monday morning, Ladies!

It's a bitter cold morning and there's lots of black ice lurking out there. I have a hair appointment first thing, but I'm going to call first to see what the roads are like out there. She has a shop in her home, but lives on a side road back in the woods. I hate to cancel, as my roots are starting to show.
I was hoping this next snowstorm would miss us, but it's looking like it's heading our way for tomorrow night and all day Wednesday. I only hope it's our last snow for the year.

Let's make the most out of this Monday!
Closed Thread