Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning, and Happy Monday!

I'm in an especially good mood today, as this is my last week of work before I have two weeks of vacation! I don't have any big plans for my time off, but my DD and I may drive up to Bar Harbor, ME for a few days. Other than that, it will just be nice to have the time off and do whatever I feel like doing.

I'm pleased with how well I've been doing, staying OP, but I do wish the weight would come off a little faster. Our metabolisms really slow down as we get older! I remember back in the day, when I could drop 5 pounds in just a day or two!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #107  
GmaTo8

I'm sorry I've been MIA, but my nephew passed away Saturday morning, and I have been very distracted. His viewing is today, and the funeral is tomorrow. I'll be back asap. Hugs to you all.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Jane -/so sorry to learn of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family
Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #109  

Jane, Thinking of you.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feelbetter View Post
I'm glad to see someone joined the YMCA I've been debating joining for the past 3 years. I want it for the water aerobics because I have arthritis. They have a special rate for government employees that is great. My DH is the gov employee but they said I could still use it.

The one thing I really dread is putting on a swimsuit. I have so many figure flaws and stuff it's insane. But I'm at the point of I don't care I need to take care of myself.
Hello, Sorry for not posting for a while, been pretty busy with my painting and I just haven't had time to read the posts.

Oh, don't worry about what you look like in the suit. Go to just one class and you'll be hooked. That's what happened to me. I absolutely love it. I go 3 days a week. One full hour of movement in the water and we do a lot of laughing. You can work hard or slow it down. Our instructor shows us 3 different levels of the same exercise, so you pick which one works best for you. You won't regret taking the class. Most of our ladies are over 50 and some are even in their 80's. They do what they can. You feel sooo good when you're done and dressed. You feel so good the rest of the day. This sure has helped my arthritis in my hips. I was amazed after the first time. I was starting to shuffle and not be able to move my hips very far. Now I'm like a spring chicken. I'm not one for any exercise, but this is so great!! Try it and post after wards how you feel. The YMCA is just wonderful!! My husband swims laps while I take the aerobics class.
Carol
Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #111  

Jane--Sorry for your loss. I'm thinking of you! Come back when you have time.

We had a great 2 days at Disneyland! Since my dh doesn't want to gain either, we did pretty good. The only things that were indulgences were a double scoop waffle cone, that turned out to be lunch and almost dinner too. We were so full when we got back to our hotel and my hips were hurting so bad from all the walking for 2 days, I didn't want to go out and find a restaurant for dinner, so we went down stairs and bought a 'Naked drink' with lots of protein and not much sugar, and had an orange apiece for dinner. I had taken some decaf tea with me, so we each had a hot cup of tea before bed. The same day we each had a delicious churro. Those were the only sweets we had. Gained 2 pounds and I still have to lose one more to be down to my 158. I know I didn't get in all my water, but not worried. It will come off soon.

The day we got back, we celebrated my dd birthday with dinner out, and last night we celebrated my birthday with dinner out. Then today my dh said lets go out, it's your BD, you shouldn't cook on your BD, so we went to a Spanish place we really like. I had a taco salad and didn't eat the shell. Just had water. Had a very nice day.

All the celebrations are over with till May, then we have 3 grand daughters BD's. Easter will be ham and I'll be sure to take a large green salad or I'll make my cauliflower potato salad. That way I can skip on the "real' potatoes.

Still going to water aerobics and I feel so good after ward. We worked hard today.

Some of the ladies wear the longer, down to the knee walking length suit shorts. I think the material is made for the water. Lots of the ladies wear them. They wear a bathing suit and then put on the pants. Then a tee shirt over the suit top. You can always wear a tee shirt if you don't mind getting it bleached out.

Just put on something and go to one class. You will love the water! Don't worry about the other people. You are there for YOU! The water is so warm and the movements make you feel so good. Your attitude will make you feel better about yourself. You are all in the water to get healthy. Your joints will love you for it!!

I tried one class last September and I was hooked. My hips are so much better. It's truly amazing to me. I couldn't take a normal step any more. Just half steps, like 100 year old people do. I knew something was wrong, but didn't know what.

Nice to do some catching up. I've been so busy with my painting my special orders, I haven't had time to catch up on the posts. Been working on light switch covers, and now I'm working on a small bowl with a snowman in the center. It's a work in progress. I took a break from painting and took three days and made stencils for my signs and shelf sitters. My friend wanted a sign that said...What happens on the Porch...stays on the porch. And one that says...I can do all things, through prayer and coffee. Want to paint a coffee cup on that one sign.

So you can see why I really need to get some exercise in my life. I do so much sitting and painting. I might not get as much painting time, but I sure feel better about myself now that I've made the commitment to get in at least 3 days of the water aerobics. Soon we'll start walking an hour on the other days. I'm hoping with more exercise, my weight will start to come off and stay off.

It's starting to warm up now out here. Weather was just beautiful today. Hope it lasts for a few days. Felt like Easter weather today.

Nice chatting. Welcome to all you you who are new here.
Carol
Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #112  

Good morning!

Carol, a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I really enjoyed reading your chatty post. I'm looking forward to this summer when I can get in our pool again. I usually just swim around a little and play with the grandkids, but this year I plan to do 30 minutes of exercise while I'm in it, especially after hearing you rave about how good it makes you feel.

Our basement is all cleaned up for now, but the water company is coming Friday to repair a broken pipe in our front lawn, so I'm not sure whether they'll need to come inside or not. The floor and wall near the leak is still wet, so Jake is thinking they'll have to go through the wall. I'm being optimistic and figure they'll do whatever they have to, just so it's fixed. I'm just thankful that we won't have to pay for the repairs. When they are finally done down there, we plan to paint the walls and the floor, then cover it with area rugs. That should still make it a nice place for the grandchildren to play.

Well, I'd better get ready to do my workout before heading to work. Have a great day, Ladies!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #113  

Good morning, and HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

Tis the wearin' o' the green, and I have on my light green pullover. Everybody's Irish on St. Patrick's Day! I'm planning to pull some surprises on my little ones today by putting green food coloring in all the toilets, and sprinkling green glitter dust around their school books and papers. They've been excited and wondering what kind of mischief the Leprechauns would create this year, so they'll be thrilled.

I hope everyone is doing well, and having a great day!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick one today... a busy day today.

Jane You and your family were in my prayers the last few days. So sorry to hear about your nephew. I really thought he was going to be fine. I thought a lot about his little girl.

Carol Loved reading about your trip. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!

Linda and anyone else reading this

Y'all have a great St. Patrick's Day!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #115  
GmaTo8

Top o' the mornin' to ya!

chicpanda - thank you.

Linda - kudos to you and Jake for all the hard work you've done on the basement. Is the broken pipe in the front yard what caused it all? About the weight, yes, it does come off so much slower now that we're older. Maybe it will stay gone this time, though. What cute ideas you have, playing Leprecaun for the wee girlies! I can just imagine the looks on their faces, lol.

Trish - Jeff's daughter is college age, but an only child, and the apple of his eye. She is taking his death very hard, and was in denial about it until the very end. So sad. How are you doing?

Carol - happy birthday to you, a bit late. I'm so glad you're back, and glad to read that you had such a good time on vacation. Sorry about your hips hurting. Do you ever take Aleve when you know you're going to be walking a lot? I do, and it is a blessing, for sure. Just a thought. Sounds like you did a good job with the food, and especially on your birthday, skipping the taco salad shell!

Hello to anyone else reading this.

Thank you all so much for the kind words of comfort. I know Jeff is in a better place, but it sure was hard to go through the viewing and funeral. He is only 6 years younger than me, so I grew up with him and his siblings.

I'm happy to say that I was able to stay OP throughout the emotional last week. The food offered at the dinner yesterday was pure comfort foods, but I skipped most of them, and took small portions of the others. I didn't even get close to the dessert table!

Today I'll be helping Neal add chicken wire to the bottom of the fence, stretching it down to lay on the ground, so the dogs can't dig out! We got a lot of it done yesterday afternoon, after the funeral, and I enjoyed being in the sunshine, listening to the birds sing.

Have a happy St. Paddy's Day!

Last edited by Jane; 03-17-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Daily Chatters, hop on the Memorial Day Challenge -

NEW CHALLENGE - come join us!

WHO - The over 50 gang.

WHAT - Whatever we each think will help us lose or maintain our weight. For me, I will list my weigt, calories and exercise minutes each day. My goal will be to get to 145 lbs by May 31.

WHERE - Up in the sticky area.

WHEN - Begins tomorrow (March 18) ends Memorial Day (in US) (May 31)

WHY - We all need accountability and a target to aim for. Unless we know where we are going, it is unlikely we will get there.

Lynn
Old 03-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #117  
GmaTo8

Hello ladies,

Lynn - thank you for the invitation! I don't tend to do challenges anymore, because if I fail to make the grade, then I get discouraged, especially if I tried really hard. I know it works wonders for others, though!

Where is everyone?

I've got Jackson today. Right now he's napping, then we're going outside on this beautiful day! I have some clean-up left from last year to do.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #118  

Good Morning ladies,
I've been catching up on all the posts. Seems I missed a couple pages.

Linda--Thank you for the belated HB! I had a very relaxing day on Monday. Watched more taped golf than I usually do. Just sat and enjoyed with my dh. I'm usually up and running after my last bite.

When you start exercising in the pool, get yourself a waist float, and med. weight hand weights. The light ones are to light and the heavy ones are way to heavy for my shoulders. Check them out at your sports shops. I bought both of mine off Ebay. Having the belt makes it so you can pretend to be walking and you don't touch bottom. It's a good stretch for the hips. If you still touch bottom, get a couple of 'noodles' and sit on them. That will raise you up a little more. At the YMCA, the water is 4' deep (I'd like 6', but oh well) I still get lots of movement not touching the floor.

Sorry to hear about your basement leak! Ouch!

How did the kids enjoy the green sprinkles? I bet they were excited!

Jane-- Sorry for you and the family loss!
I checked out the Aleve, but it did mention ulcers and I think I use to take it and got ulcers. I was taking about 8 a day and really they didn't help much. Had the camera go down in the stomach two times, don't want that again. I take half a pill of fake Vicodin. It seems to do the job most of the time. But when my hips really hurt, I just need to sit down and rest. It did take about 3 days after we got home for them to stop hurting. Maybe I'm losing the padding between the joints. Going to water aerobics worked the kinks out. Makes me more limber, but I have to keep it up. My joints tell me when I've miss a couple days, so I try to get in at least 3 days a week, sometimes 4. Even if it's for a good 30 minutes, it helps. Sometimes I go over and I do my own exercises that I can remember from the instructor. She does movements I would never think of doing. That's why the classes are so great!

Thank you for the HB note.

Trish--Thank you for your belated Birthday wish! From here on out...they are only numbers! Guess I'll have to change my name now, huh? But maybe I'll leave it as is and let it stay there for 10 years. See if I can still remember how to post when I'm 70. LOL

Lynn-- Thank you for the invitation! But I have to ditto Jane. I'll let the younger ones go for the challenge. The older I get the slower it comes off.

Linda-- Enjoy your 2 wk vacation and the trip to Bar Harbor, ME! Yes, it's much slower losing now, so I'm happy with ounces now days.

No plans for the weekend. I'm going to lock myself in my painting room..again...got a couple more custom orders. I love to do the custom orders, but sure cuts down my time to paint for the booth I have things in.

OMGosh, temps are suppose to get up to 76 by Sunday. I think I just might have to work in the flowers a little bit. Paintings all well and good, but playing in the garden is good for the soul! We need that too!

I keep plugging along, working on just losing 2 pounds. I was there a couple weeks ago, and lost it.....trying to find that number again. LOL

Every one have a wonderful weekend! Don't forget to play a little.

Carol
Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #119  

Carol, thanks for the information about the waist float. I definitely will look for one. I already have a nice pair of medium weights, so I'll have to google some water exercises so I'll know what to do with them. I'm looking forward to working out while enjoying the pool this summer!

Jane, I hope you and Jackson had a pleasant day together!

The water company was here all day today to fix the broken water pipe under our front yard, and I'm glad it's finally all repaired. The yard is all torn up, although they did reseed it and put a layer of straw over it. There's a glimmer of hope that we may still be compensated for our losses though, since the water people claim the break was IN the wall, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.
It was a beautiful day for this last day of winter, and the first day of spring tomorrow promises to be glorious. We'll have Amber & Tyler for the afternoon, and I'm thinking of taking them to the park down the block to play. Our yard is still pretty muddy, and I want them to be able to spend the day outdoors. I want to be outside in this weather, too! The forecast is for cooler temps and rain next week, so I'd better enjoy this now.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Up to 71 today, I am enjoying the 12 hours of sunlight. The rainy season has not started quite yet, but soon. I always feel sorry for people who come to Central Florida in the summer months, not realizing that it rains every day.

I was looking at the McCormick spice web page. (I am getting bored with my cooking again.) I thought this information about healing spices might be of interest,
http://www.mccormick.com/SpicesForHe...perSpices.aspx
If the link doesn't work, the spices are: cinnamon, ginger, oregano, red pepper, rosemary, thyme, and yellow curry (turmeric)

Now it's time for me to go root for the University of Washington Huskies as they play round 2 of the NCAA basketball tournament.
Closed Thread