Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #136  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
YoYo...below is the last part of the opening I put together eons ago for the Golden Girls. Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you. Lynn said we use this forum much more than just diet-talk and she's absolutely right. Just knowing that we all think about you and your struggle with withdrawal should help, you're not alone. I was going to suggest crossword puzzles, I hate traveling and I keep my nose in word games. You can also start a 'hard to put down' novel. The coloring book is a great idea, you could invest in some artist colored pencils, I have a nice set that comes in it's own tin. At Amazon you can get adult coloring books that are fun to color in. (too late for Thanksgiving travel). But you can work on them at home while watching tv if you need to keep your hands busy.
Quote:
Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
For all the rest of you, remember to keep nibbling at a minimum while preparing food for Thanksgiving. It can add up fast.
Karen...We're having Thanksgiving at my brothers house and DH said he was going to miss having a turkey & dressing to nibble on so last monday? he made a whole turkey, dressing, etc. You could invite some neighbors in that don't have family around or just have a intimate dinner with your sweet hubby.
See ya all!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 11-26-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning...How come it's Wednesday when my mind says it feels like a Saturday? That's the next step in retirement total confusion.

YoYo...We are about getting ourselves healthy. We are treating the whole body. To stop smoking is a part of that journey. Having learned for years to smooth ourselves with food instead of healthy choices and surpress feelings by stuffing them and food into our mouths. So using 3FatChicks to continue your journey is just right. Besides there ain't nuth'n honey one of us haven't been there or done that!

I was taught years ago about holistic nursing and that was that you treat the whole kit'nkabboodle (patient and her family). That there would be no "real" improvement without treating all. So we can't hold your hand and get you thru these tough weeks, but you are getting cyber hugs.

Gotta go change the water that the turkey is defrosting in.....karen3
Old 11-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #138  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good afternoon people. I'd like to extend a Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends. I don't suppose many of you will be here tomorrow to get my greetings so here they are today. Hope you all make it through without too much damage.

I'm gone to have a nap. DS's alarm clock went off at 7:30 am this morning and I didn't get to bed until 1 am and was up with mom at least twice so that was too early for me. When I nap and feel better I'll do my exercises for the day. Must drink some water, too.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Good Morning everyone, I haven't posted in awhile, but get in here to read the posts when I can. Just a lot going on right now.
Freda
I Freda, I was away for quite a while also - I'm glad to be back & happy to see you back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Karen...We're having Thanksgiving at my brothers house and DH said he was going to miss having a turkey & dressing to nibble on so last monday? he made a whole turkey, dressing, etc. You could invite some neighbors in that don't have family around or just have a intimate dinner with your sweet hubby.
See ya all!
Hi Bobbi,

You made me think about my brother (died in 2000). He and his children always ate Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant. However, he always made a turkey with stuffing & gravy and gave some to each family member so that they could have "leftovers."

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE,

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 11-26-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #140  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just popping in to wish everyone a great Thanksgiving!!
We are going very low key and are going out to eat, which we never do for holidays, but we are in the process of painting all of our wooden floors since I'm off of work this week....the painting is easy, it's the moving all the stuff out of rooms that is taking so much time. Worth it though because the floors are turning out wonderfully. They look like shiny black chinese laquer. They will be a bear to KEEP clean, but are very easy TO clean.

I'll be having a housefull for Christmas, so we wanted to get it all done now. My oldest son is graduating from LSU and family is coming in for that on the 18th and staying till after Christmas, so it will be wild, but great.

I wish I had more time to post, but school is really keeping me hopping. I leave for the gym every morning at quarter to 5, then go to school and don't get home till around 5 at night, then usually have more stuff to do for school, plus house stuff. It's nuts, but I'm enjoying it. Just 3 more weeks, then I have 2 weeks off for Christmas. I love that about teaching!!!

Still on the SB wagon and starting to really firm up thanks to the gym...

Last edited by femmecreole; 11-26-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #141  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Old 11-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #142  

Height: 5' 8"

Quick hi

We are in the car heading out across the desert so don't know how long my signal will hold but ain't technology grand!?!

Thank you all again. Starting to kind of wonder how I made it this far in life at all without friends like you

I'll try and pop back in when we get back into civilization (where there are cell towers every 30 ft ) and let you know how I'm surviving my first long drive.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #143  

Hi everyone I hope u have a great thanksgiving with the ones u love..i truly have so much to be thankful for # 1 being i'm still kicking whooohooo..(((((hugs))) rosey
Old 11-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #144  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy Thanksgiving

Quote:
Exercise Keeps Your Mind Sharp

A recent study from the National Institutes of Health found that the most sedentary individuals (i.e. couch potatoes) are 2.5 times more likely to develop dementia than regular exercisers. Dementia is a condition of declining mental abilities (especially memory) that affects your personality, skills (like driving a car), and verbal abilities.

Action Sparked: Stay on a consistent exercise program throughout your lifespan. Try not to view exercise as a temporary means to and end such as weight loss. It is part of a healthy lifestyle, and while it does help you lose and maintain weight, it can ward off plenty of health problems, from heart disease to depression.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #145  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Pig Out the Healthy Way
A Piping Hot Classic
By Terry Dunkle, Diet Power CEO and Editor-in-Chief

Every year, I get spam from websites telling me how to navigate Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas without gaining weight. To me, this makes as much sense as being told how to attend a Super Bowl without watching the game. How can a holiday be a holiday if you can't overeat?

The fact is, overeating on holidays isn't a bad thing; it may actually be good for your diet in the long run. Reason:

A 10-pound turkey (after cooking, without the neck and the giblets) sets you back only 9440 calories.

Although starving yourself will make you feel righteous for a day, eventually your pride will turn to resentment. And when overweight people feel resentful, they often eat to "get even." (This usually happens the day after the holiday, when plenty of leftovers are lurking.)

So, while the food police are telling you to "serve portions on a small plate, to make them appear larger" (hey, are you that stupid?) and "chew thoroughly and slowly" (on mashed potatoes?), we're going to give you the straight dope.

8 Rules for Healthful Overeating

If you're going to overindulge, at least know by how much. Continue recording your meals in your Food Log. That way, at least you'll know how many calories to work off after the madness subsides.

Save up beforehand. If your diet calls for 1800 calories today, cut back to 1300 and you'll be 500 ahead on the Big Day.

Realize that even if you gorge yourself, you can't gain much in a single day. Your stomach holds only about 40 fluid ounces. If you stuff it three times with average food (40 calories per ounce), you'll eat 4800 calories. That's less than 3000 calories above maintenance for most people—which means you won't even gain a pound. (The scales may say two or three pounds, but this will be largely water retention and digestive overload, which are temporary.)

Remember this happy thought: The more you eat, the faster you burn calories. When your body sees an excess of fuel coming in, it automatically makes the furnace less efficient so that it burns fuel more rapidly. This self-regulating system ensures that whenever you suddenly increase your eating, the amount of fat you put on will never quite equal your calorie increase.

Get some exercise. A brisk one-hour walk will burn off 200 to 300 calories—and make you expend calories a bit faster afterwards, too.

Concentrate on the lower-fat goodies, which fill you up at a lower calorie cost. (A gram of fat contains 9 calories, versus 4 calories per gram of protein or carbohydrate.) Eat candy corn, not chocolate. Take the skin off the turkey, eat the white meat instead of the dark, choose the cherry pie over the Boston cream, and gobble all the mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce you want. (Eat a ton of celery—it's 90 percent water and only 7 calories per stalk.)

Watch the booze. Because alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, a 6-ounce glass of bourdeaux or chardonnay will set you back more than 120 calories, and a typical 4-ounce martini will hit you with twice that many. Drinking too much may also lead you to eat more than you would otherwise.

On the morning after, don't feel guilty; just get back on the wagon. You've had your fun, just like everyone else, and now you can resume your quest knowing that you didn't miss a thing.
Happy holidays!

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 11-27-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #146  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Happy Thanksgiving . . .
Old 11-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all....Happy Thanksgiving. I have much to be thankful for including the friends I have made here.

I was so surprised and pleased they put a note up on our web page about the dinner I made for the bridge motely crew. DH's cousins are coming to share dinner with us. Everything is ready to pop in the oven or reheat. Am turkey dinner out.....Peace and happy day all....Karen3
Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #148  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy Thanksgiving to you all

I am so thankful to be living near family and to get to spend the holiday with them

Take care all ~ hope you have a wonderful day!!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #149  

Height: 5' 8"

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

I am sitting in a lovely warm kitchen chatting with family, drinking tea, getting ready to help peel sweet potatoes (of course everyone is on their laptops or Blackberries - amazing how quickly we all adapt to carrying on multiple conversations) and I started to feel almost overwhelmed with how many things I have to be thankful for this year - not the least of which are the many wonderful friends I've made here at 3FC - so I had to pop in and send a big out to all of you.

Wonderful article Lynn Thank you for posting - big help keeping things in perspective so one day of overdoing doesn't start a domino effect that will undo a plan.

I'm glad you will be sharing your dinner after all since your original guests bailed Karen3 (fewer leftovers to tempt you ) That's actually one of the reasons I'm glad I'm not the hostess - those cold turkey sandwiches are a bigger weakness for me than cake or pie ever was.

And yes, I made the whole long drive without holding DH at gunpoint at making him pull off to buy me a pack (well, I did have to threaten him with severe bodily harm to get him to pull into a rest stop after my 4th bottle of water) - turned out that despite running into rain and a 2 hour delay due to accidents and heavy traffic, it was actually one of the calmer trips I've made Come to the conclusion I was talking myself into being stressed so I would have an excuse to smoke......

Wishing you all the most perfect Thanksgiving ever!
Old 11-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #150  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I was just remembering Thanksgivings past and had nice memories of one year ~ It was because of this place ~ 3FC ~ that it was a nice day. I could never get enough days off from work at holiday times to be able to travel and be with my family. My husband was able to, so he had gone and I was facing another holiday alone. Well, there was another lady from here ~ 3FC who lived in my town and she hadn't been able to go be with her family either, so the two of us met at Cracker Barrel and we had Thanksgiving dinner together. That was neat. I am thankful for this place.
Closed Thread