Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:48 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default hi, all. Catching up

Hi, guys, just catching up and sobbing about Jazz. So sorry, Meowee.

We lost our precious Silky two weeks ago......our just -over-a -year -old- black lab/chow cross ...the son of our old dawg, Bear. He just disappeared. Either someone took him, or he fell through the ice chasing something, or the mountain lion got him.....or, or....but he is gone. He was the coolest dawg ever, and I have had some cool dawgs.......but he was just so sweet. So, now we just have Bear, the Black lab/chow cross.....he is 12 and 1/2, but he lives outside and runs free, the way a dawg should live...we have a heated dog house for him, but last night, at 5 below, he was just in his little straw bed on the deck...and with the snow piled around him, ..snug as can be.....way cool.

No snow to shovel, but way cold. For those of you who are warm, good for you. For the rest......do the best you can.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #47  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi Everybody! Welcome to Thinin08!
Maryblu - so sorry about Silky. If any of your options are true I hope it is the "somebody took him" one and that he runs away and comes back to you.

I wanted to post something but I think I'll head on over to the "exercise" chamber of the coop and post it there.
Back later -
Old 12-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #48  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi everybody . . .

Yesterday just got worse and worse . . . took Frack back to the Vets . . . she was getting worse and the other eye was getting awful too . . . turns out she has Herpes Viral Conjunctivitis . . . yes it is caused by Feline Herpes Virus 1 which is a close relative of the Herpes Simplex 1 that affects humans -- the only good news is that the two related virus types DO NOT cross species lines.

Frack is staying at the Vets over the weekend for agressive treatment and to keep her segregated from her littermate, Frick (they are always snuggled up together). The Vet figures they were both probably born with herpes (apparently it is very common; especially in the more delicate purebreds) and it has just taken nine months to manifest for the first time. So now I'm trying to get a Lysine supplement into Frick, to stregthen her immune system and hopefully keep a full-fledged herpes flare-up at bay. The provided plunger -- to stick it into her mouth -- definitely didn't work but I have managed to get her to have a little via the "smear on paws and nose" routine. She (the vet) figures the other three cats (all the more vigourous hybrid types) are probably going to be okay without supplementation.

Oh well . . . guess we've just got to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Have a great day, gang . . . see you all later.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #49  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Linda, sorry to hear about Frack. Sounds like leaving him at the vet was a good option. It is so hard when pets are sick. Much like small children. You can't communicate why you are trying to put yucky stuff in and on them. They don't understand that it is necessary.

I hope everyone had a good day! I got Christmas presents wrapped and talked to both of the boys, so I am in fine spirits

Stay warm all you northern climate chicks
Old 12-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #50  
Onward and Downward

Hi there, gang . . .

It's snowing sideways again . . . So much for any plans I might have had for going out and about today. Hey, I need to think about all the stuff I must get organized so I can go away over Christmas, anyway.

See you later . . .
Old 12-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #51  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

No snow here, and I just got back from a nice long walk.

Hope you're all doing well today! It's hard to keep up with everything during the holiday season.

Jay
Old 12-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #52  

Default 19,000 steps! Great joy!

Lotza snow here; never set foot outside....well, gave Bear some water and some treats, and DS and SO took care of him, too. Other than that, we kept the wood furnace fired up and watched futbol.

I did the whole first half of the Vikings game on my treadmill with Koko Taylor and Duke Robillard on my headphone.......great fun. Felt great! OK, not the WHOLE first half, but enough to rack up 19,000 steps! We are ACTIVE, right??

JayEll, you asked a while back why I hate lifting wts...fair question..I think it is because you have to concentrate so much.....you have to do it right, with the correct form, and most of all, remember to breathe! lol....the great part about shoveling in the garden, or even shoveling snow ..is that it is really mindless activity......you know you are doing it right by the obvious outcome. I like accomplishing something for my effort.

It is strange really...just moving on the treadmill accomplishes no work other than burning my excess calories, but I don't hate it, or avoid it...hmmmmmm
Old 12-10-2007, 12:14 AM   #53  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Hi again. Been awhile since I have been around. I see the group has changed and some of the members are missing. I say with a big sigh that I still have not lost the weight I would like. I am actually heavier. So thought I would drop by again as I can chat while at work and work is my biggest downfall.
Had a huge stress in my life and got back on the sugar habit and now am having trouble getting through the day without it.
Any suggestions just to get going??
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #54  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey! glad to see you, hijude.

Well gosh--clearly one step is to stop with the sugar! Can you substitute other foods? For example, whole grain bread instead of white bread? It's still carbohydrate, but better nutrition. Or, if you're drinking regular sodas, change to diet sodas, or better yet substitute sparkling water?

Make sure you have better choices available, and rid your house of the tempting sweet stuff. Of course, the season gets in the way, but it can be done. It all comes down to, don't put it in your mouth...

Some posters in this forum seem to be MIA, but at this time of year things get hectic for a lot of folks. We'll probably see an upsurge after January 1.

What are folks up to today? Spinymouse, how's the Pilates? maryblu, still shoveling? Meowee?

Jay
Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #55  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Too cold for snow right now -- hey, at least it's a change. Hopefully I'll get bundled up and outside a little later on this morning.

See you later . . .
Old 12-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #56  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi Everybody -
I haven't gone back to Pilates yet. I know I would like it but I feel like I need some more education first, so I bought Pilates for Dummies and promptly misplaced it. Must find it and read. I don't know a lot of the basic terminology. Plus, exercise classes almost always instruct me to do something that I don't understand. Like "tuck your pelvis under." Well, under what? Does that mean you bend the top part of it out forward, in which case the bottom of the pelvis is more "under" in relation to one's ventral side, or do you tip the top part of it backward, in which case the top of the pelvis is more "under" in relation to one's ventral side? I don't get it.

So let's talk about pizza instead. Pizza, Pilates, they both start with Pi.

So yesterday's homemade Pi was topped with:
tomatoes
basil
spinach
edemame
carrots
zucchini
pickled asparagus
onion
mushrooms
radish
jalapeno pepper
less than a typical amount of cheese

It is lovely and made a good breakfast this morning.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 12-10-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: got my sides mixed up
Old 12-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #57  

Default Yum

Now that's my kinda breakfast, Spiny!

I think my book was called Pilates for beginners, plus I had a really good Pilates video, and I took a few lessons. It is just an amazing workout, but, alas, I fell away ....I really need a coach to watch me and remind me to BREATHE! Shouldn't be that difficult, but it is. *sigh......I must get back to it....keep us posted. It really is an ingenious workout!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #58  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm actually hoping to attend a Pilates class when we are in California. DIL has a friend that is an instructor. Without a gym membership, I don't have access to classes here. I have a really good video - one of the 10 Minute Solution series that I really enjoy that does Pilates with the stretchie band.

Spiny - that pizza sounds delightful! I've never had pickled asparagus - but the rest would be perfect!

Since we aren't taking gifts to CA with us, I opened my electric soy milk maker early. We are really enjoying making it fresh every couple of days (two batches so far).

hijude - nice to meet you (I'm one of the newbies around here) I can only speak for myself - but sugar is difficult for me too. I have to eliminate 95% from my diet and allow myself only a couple small indulgences that are planned and controlled.
I eat really good 70% dark chocolate a couple times a week (no more than half an oz) and I have a jellybean dispenser in my office at work. You have to put coins in it, so it takes some time to get 3 jelly beans. I usually only eat them a couple times a week. I keep 3 pennies in a desk drawer and ration them out. Silly, I know. But, any trick that I can use to keep me on track ...

Hope everyone had a good day. I did the WATP 4 fast miles with DH tonight Food has been OP too. I've been to busy to overeat - LOL

Last edited by CountingDown; 12-10-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #59  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . . Where is everybody today . . .
Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #60  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I'm sick--got a cold. Bleah! I walked 2.5 miles this morning before I started feeling worse... But now I'm down.

Jay
Closed Thread