Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #106  

Morning Ladies...Just a quick HELLO before I head out to scape the barn. We accepted an offer on our house yesterday, so I will me moving sometime between Sept 15-28th back to Oregon. My hubby has so much STUFF, I overwhelmed at the moment. I don't see how we are going to get everything out of here by closing, but I know we will do it. Leaving next Thursday to take a load out to Oregon and look at some houses.
Went to Weight Watchers yesterday, and I'm down another 2.4 pounds. I may make my 30% by the time I move, which would be AWESOME!!
Have a great day and I'll try to check back later. Hug's to you all.

Cheryl~
Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #107  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Congratulations on the 2.4 lbs. CHERYL . . . Great news on the house too. Have a fun househunting trip to Oregon.

What a difference a day makes -- 24 little hours -- it's almost cold this morning. Temperature at 9:30 am is a mere 13C/55F. We also have heavy rain and high wind warnings.

Here's a little FFFF for you . . . Melba toast, that mainstay of the dieter's arsenal for years, originated when several pieces of severly burned toast were accidently served to Australian opera star Nellie Melba at The Savoy Hotel in London. Instead of complaining, she tried it and loved it. The chef decided to put in on the menu and called it "Melba's Toast" in her honour.

Have a fund day doing good stuff. See you soon.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5' 1"

CHERYL: Wooohooo !! Way to go on that weight loss, that is terrific. I'm so happy for you. AND you got your house sold, that is great. when you head out to Oregon, safe journey and hopefully you will get that house you wanted so badly. Thanks for the Birthday wish, it was a good day.

MEOWEE: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think I just needed to vent and it helped. Thanks too for the FFFF they are always fun to read.

MARSHA: How are those new scales ?

How are the rest of you doing. I haven't missed a day of yet this week.
Not always a long routine but at least something. It is so blessed humid this week and our heat index for the rest of this week into next week is to be between 110 -115. I'm not sure I can survive that.

Till next time DONNA
Old 08-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #109  

Hi Girl's...Taking a much needed break from scraping for the night. WE got our 4 stall garage done and ready for paint, and started scraping on the barn. My hubby has made reservation for a bucket lift that he will use to get up to the roof of the barn. We have a 24 foot ladder, but it doesn't reach and it's not very safe for painting.

Donna...We are moving to a different area, so the house I really liked we won't be getting, but I have already found another one I like, plus I an moving to an area where we use to live and I will only be 10 miles from my parents house and 60 miles from my kids.

Linda...I could sure use your cooler weather, but not the rain or wind. We are 90, hot and humid. I've really been chugging the water.

Well girls, I'm going to grease up with some Bengay and take it easy for the rest of the night.

Cheryl
Old 08-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #110  
Onward and Downward

Hi all . . .

Once again, the day is almost gone before I even got here. I don't feel guilty though . . . it has been the most gorgeous day today and I just hve not spent much time hanging around the house. Definitely the nicest day so far this summer. Guess the weird rain and wind yesterday cleared off the nasty crud finally. The weatherman says the good stuff will continue for another few days at least.

Well, better get around to a few more places. Have a great evening, gang. See you later .
Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #111  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

Thought I'd stop in earlier rather than later today. Looks like we've got another beautiful day here in Northern Nova Scotia and I intend to get busy doing some fun stuff again.

See you later . . .
Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #112  
Reluctant Adult

Hi, Cheryl,

Sounds like you won't be far from me when you move back to Oregon. You can't go wrong moving to this state... how we love it here!

The cooler temps sure make it much easier to exercise outdoors. I get an awful lot of my exercise unintentionally, shoveling poo out of the barn, weeding the garden, etc. It's great.

Have a safe trip and good luck with getting into the house you have your eye on!!

All the best, Rae (fellow Oregonian)
Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #113  
Onward and Downward

Hi all . . .

Another nice day shaping up around here, although the humidity is on the rise again, but so far it's pleasant. Hope everybody else is having a great Sunday, too.

Nothing else too exciting in my world, but I do have some things to do and some places to go so I'd better get myself moving and shaking . . . see you all later . . .
Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone,

Hope eveyone's having a great day.

Cheryl - I'm so happy for you that you've found a spot so close to your family. I'm sure you can't wait.

My sister has two bengal cats - litter sisters - two years old. Her husband is getting less and less fond of them and wants her to 'find a new home for them' so, being the nice sister that I am I've offered to take them for 2 months - and then see what happens. I have never had a cat before so I don't think I know what I'm getting into. Any advice would be appreciated. Meowee, I know you must have some advice.

Well, I get them on Tuesday - she's flying them in. I guess I'll see then. If you don't hear from me perhaps they've strung me up with toilet paper.

Talk soon,
Old 08-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #115  
Onward and Downward

Hi Denise . . .

Bengals are gorgeous cats . . . but, in my experience so far, they are a little wilder than normal kittens, but not outrageously so. They are also fairly talkative as compared to a lot of cats I've had. They like water (mine play with, and drink from, the faucet - and the toilet, if you let them) and are quite dog-like in some other ways, too . . . two out of the three of mine like to play 'fetch'.

Some questions for you --

Do you consider yourself to be a "dog person". Because cats are very, very different. Cats don't live to please you the way dogs do. I mean, they want you to be happy; just not at the price of their own dignity. They don't always want to be with you; they are indeed quite independent. don't get me wrong, they love to be petted and loved; but generally on their own timetable not necessarily yours.

Are they indoor cats or outdoor cats? Personally, I think all cats should be indoor cats. They tend to live longer and have much healthier and safer lives. I also recommend declawing for indoor cats (although I know it is a controversial subject). Bengals are definitely climbers. Usually up my legs.

Are they spayed? Unless you plan on going into the 'kitten business', I certainly hope so. Makes the world of difference. Again, it increases their life span and they become more human-oriented. Females tend to get more cuddly. Males get much calmer (they are generally more cuddly to begin with) and less territorial.

What does your BIL find objectionable about the cats? Do you think it is just him, or perhaps they have some behavioural problems? Would be good to know at the outset.

Or maybe, your dear sister is getting rid of the wrong house-mates? In my experience, my cats have proven to be smarter than either of my husbands . . . . . . well, in a lot of ways.

Good Luck . . . I'm always here if you have any more questions. Oh, BTW, don't ever get to thinking that you are going to be in charge. The cats will run the joint and they know they can purr their way out of anything.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the quick response, Meowee.

Bengals are gorgeous cats . . . but, in my experience so far, they are a little wilder than normal kittens, but not outrageously so. They are also fairly talkative as compared to a lot of cats I've had. They like water (mine play with, and drink from, the faucet - and the toilet, if you let them) and are quite dog-like in some other ways, too . . . two out of the three of mine like to play 'fetch'.I have met hers and they are exactly like what you're saying - right down to playing with the faucet.

Do you consider yourself to be a "dog person". Yes. Because cats are very, very different. Cats don't live to please you the way dogs do. I mean, they want you to be happy; just not at the price of their own dignity. They don't always want to be with you; they are indeed quite independent. don't get me wrong, they love to be petted and loved; but generally on their own timetable not necessarily yours. I do realize this but I'm sure it will take some getting used to.

Are they indoor cats or outdoor cats? They are indoor - in Canmore there are too many cougars to have little cats outside. They are not declawed. It doesn't seem to be a problem and she is very against it.
Are they spayed? Yes.

What does your BIL find objectionable about the cats? Do you think it is just him, or perhaps they have some behavioural problems? Would be good to know at the outset. One of them has an intestinal disorder that she has had since birth. The vet has her on something for it and she seems to be a lot better. However, once a week or so she poops outside the litterbox. Literally 5 or 6 inches away on the bathroom floor. The vet thinks that because her bum is quite soar maybe the litter irritates it. Anyway, dear BIL cannot handle it - at all. I figure I can try it out for a couple of months - I have raised 2 boys - a bit of poop can not be too bad.

I'm sure I will be asking for your help once I get them. Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #117  
Onward and Downward

However, once a week or so she poops outside the litterbox. Literally 5 or 6 inches away on the bathroom floor. The vet thinks that because her bum is quite soar maybe the litter irritates it.

When Jazz was first diagnosed with diabetes, he decided he didn't like his litter box anymore and started pooping on the little floor mat inside the back door once or twice a week. I got the diaper-like pads they use for puppy training and kept one on top of the mat. Worked wonders. So much easier to clean up. Once the cat decides on 'her-special-spot' you might try that. What kind of litter are they used to? If it's the clay type, or the silica crystals, it could feel rather sharp and painful to a sore rear-end. "Yesterday's News" is probably the easiest on them. If that isn't what they are using now, you might want to give it a try.

BTW, once I got Jazz on the right dose of insulin, his litter-box problems went away again. Guess he just felt rotten and decided the litter was causing him to feel so sick. They're funny little critters sometimes.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #118  

Evening Ladies...I'm happy to say we will be done with the painting by tomorrow. I am so tired and not thinking too clearly, really I'm a ditz Today I painted the trim around one of the big doors to the barn white, and it was suppose to be red. Hubby made a point of pointing it out to me after I was done. He was nice enough to spray paint it for me, so I wouldn't have to spend the time brushing the correct color on. Then I was busy helping him while he painted the four stall garage and started on the barn. I mostly hauled the ladder to where he needed it or carrying the paint sprayer closer to him and pulling the extention cord when it would get tangled up. Once the painting is done, we will be busy packing up our truck and boat with stuff for trip out to Oregon on Thursday.

Denise...I can't wait to see the house I really like on Saturday. I just hope my hubby likes it as well. It has a big 30x50 shop, but the other property has a bigger shop, but smaller house and more acreage for 10,000 more. I would rather have the place with 1876 sq ft, and 1 1/2 acres. After having 10 acres for so long, I'm sick of mowing that much, and I don't want a fixer-upper. Very sick of scraping and painting as you can imagin!!

Linda...Your Bengal kitties sound very interesting and active. Love your discription of cat behavior verus dog behavior. My cat Princess lives up to her name. She marches to her own agenda, and not ours. I wish she was a cuddle bug like my last cat, but she doesn't like any affection at all from me. She is my hubby's baby, the little stinker!!

Well ladies, I need to get up early and go to town in the morning. Picking up the lift we need to reach the top of the barn, and to keep my hubby safe while he paints it. Hope we get done before noon, it's suppose to be 90 tomorrow.

Cheryl~
Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #119  
Onward and Downward

Happy Monday, everybody -- or maybe those two words are mutually exclusive -- at least for those who are still in the working-world.

It's fairly cool around here today but definitely humid and overcast. Probably be seeing some thunderstorms later today.

Wow, Cheryl, you've really been earning every wonderful pound you've been losing. Hope everything gets finished up soon and you can concentrate on your fun househunting trip to Oregon. I definitely have to agree that a bigger house and smaller acreage is the way to go.

Well, gang . . . I'd better get a move on . . . see you all later.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #120  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . . it's Tuesday . . . Overcast and humid again today, even after the massive thunderstorms we had last night -- but it's not too hot -- so, all in all, in doesn't feel too bad out there.

All three kittens hate me. The three adults got breakfast; the kittens got crated for their trip to the vet. They will, no doubt hate me even more when they wake up with pain after their little surgeries. Oh well, bet it makes them forget about being hungry for a few hours. Probably won't be home until Thursday and then after that they should recover pretty quickly.

Nothing else is new around here . . . the house is definitely overly quiet with the feline population cut by half. Have a great day, everybody . . . see you soon.
Closed Thread