Old 04-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #166  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Velveteen: Soda or Charged water has no taste (because it's just water) but it has carbonation/fizz. It's not as good as diet tonic water, but it's ok. May I ask what "bar food" is? Are you talking about burgers & fries, appetizers or popcorn? Personally, I don't eat much popcorn because I don't like getting it stuck in my teeth. I do make exceptions for movie popcorn (bad I know) or my DH's airpopped popcorn with real butter a couple of times a year.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #167  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hiya everybody - hope you had a GREAT weekend! I find myself needing to get back to plan - the weekend, um, well (heh) wasn't of the sort that gets the job done. Not proud, but very determined to get it back together next week. I failed miserably at resisting one of my biggest triggers - cheese, glorious cheese. I have a vague idea about how much I ate, but instead of writing the guess in the journal, I think I will just wax eloquent about how awful my stomach felt and why I don't want to do that any more. And highlighted in red highlighter.
Monday's another week. It WILL be better.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #168  

Height: 5'6

Talking

Hello all new here, just joined tonight. I hope to learn all kind of tips and such to helpe me lose weight. I need to for my health and joints. Im 46 soon to be 47 in June. Single with three kids, oldest moved back home and is now laid off. But he's going back to school so there is a silver lining.
krisann22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #169  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Krisann! You will find this community to be very supportive with lots of ideas to help you.

ICU: I love cheese too! I usually have at least a small amount every day or so. My favorite is Swiss--yum! I do like those individual packages of string cheese too, because they help with portion control. I thing your "Cheesy Disaster" can become a learning tool for the future. Just remember how you felt afterwards. Wonderful cheese should not make you feel that way--it's supposed to make you feel good! WTG on your attitude. Today is a new day.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #170  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome Nspired2lose and krisann22! We are glad you found us in the 40 somethings chat. This is a great group and we are all in this together. Wishing you success on your weightloss journey!

Thanks for the recipe Newleaf, I am going to try your salad. It sounds great!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #171  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning All! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

Welcome Krisann!

ICUwishing - have you tried Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges? The wedges are only 35cals and very tasty - good for when you need a cheese fix (or two). And good for you for having such a good attitude!
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #172  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Morning everyone, hope you all had a GREAT weekend. I got some good workouts in and yesterday I sat out by the pool and read a book all day while Mack was diving.

Welcome to Nspired2lose and krisann22. The ladies here on this thread are great and an excellent source of support. Stick around you both will have tickers before you know it.

LM - You are going to be in the 150's soon; congratulations, you are doing great.

I too enjoy a drink now and then and will share a bottle of wine with Mack or when I go to Vegas I will have a few Captain Morgan's & Diet. One of my favorite drinks is Flor De Cana Rum (7 Year) with grapefruit juice. I also enjoy Disaronno on the rocks but it can be a trigger for me. Valveteen, I think if you experiment you will find something that taste good and won't spin the scales out of control.

Heidi - I've only tried sushi once and it wasn't very good. I think it had more to do with where we were (Chinese buffet). What is sashimi?

OMW - Very cool on the new bathing suit. I am going to hold off until summer. Decided that if I go to the beach when I'm in Myrtle Beach I'll just wear shorts and top. It's not like I plan on getting in, still a little too cold for me.

Hope you all have a good Monday. Mack is home so we are trying to figure out what to do.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #173  
Eat Less Move More

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Hiya everybody - hope you had a GREAT weekend! I find myself needing to get back to plan - the weekend, um, well (heh) wasn't of the sort that gets the job done. Not proud, but very determined to get it back together next week. I failed miserably at resisting one of my biggest triggers - cheese, glorious cheese. I have a vague idea about how much I ate, but instead of writing the guess in the journal, I think I will just wax eloquent about how awful my stomach felt and why I don't want to do that any more. And highlighted in red highlighter.
Monday's another week. It WILL be better.

ICU - I LOVE cheese and it is one food I will not live without. I have 1-2 oz. per day; either on crackers, in an omelet, or melted on chicken or whatever. For me I have to fit certain things in my plan or there is no way I could do this for life. REAL cheese is one and Ben & Jerry's is the other.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #174  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Ladies, thanks so much for the support!

Losermom and JustDeb, I am very familiar with both of those products, and I learned what I do know about cheese portion control from them! We had a great friend over for dinner on Saturday, and I was thinking - oh, I can make up a nice platter of cheese, sausage and crackers. So ... I go rooting in the fridge, and there's ... Chaume (wonderful double-creme), a Dutch butterkaese, medium sharp Pinconning, and a smoked Gouda. And some really good bison sausage, and Triscuits ThinCrisps - which I love for their 3 ingredients and 15 in a serving. I sliced it up, put in on the table ... and they fell on it like vultures. I let myself get pulled into that vortex. On the lighter side, that stuff is now gone. (whew!)

Welcome to our new forum members! Lots of collective wisdom here - lots of ways to find your path to healthier-ness. Make sure you spend some time lurking on the Maintainer's Forum, because a) that's where we're all headed, and b) things you learn there now will make the road ahead much less bumpy.

Cruise and newleaf - sign me up for the sushi as well! Not sure a Chinese buffet would be a great place to try it for the first time - I was advised that for the first attempt, it's important to find the very best you can. Look for a place that a lot of Japanese people frequent! I just love the presentation - the colors, textures ... and such care and attention. Truly a feast for the eyes as well as the tummy!

OMW - congrats on the suit! Warm weather fun ahead!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #175  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

CruiseCAT - yeah, a Chinese buffet is going to have hit-or-miss sushi, and it isn't necessarily the freshest. Truly fresh sushi has almost no taste, it's just this light, fluffy wonderfulness that melts in your mouth. Sashimi is slices of raw fish, like what is on top of sushi, but without the rice underneath. You eat it the same way, dipping it in the wasabi-laden soy sauce.

ICUwishing - that does sound like quite the cheese fest! I love cheese, too. But I don't want to get into weighing food and I'm not sure I could practice / account for portion control at this time. What I have done is bought a big bag of thin-sliced lite jarlsburg from Costco. I keep it tightly wrapped in tin foil and just peel off a couple slices a day. It's 50 cal / oz, and I am assuming that 1 slice is an ounce. I have come to think I'm wrong, though. My guess is that I am overestimating the calories, but that's okay.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #176  

Default Hello

I am new to the site and I am looking forward to making some new friends :-) My goal is to lose 50 pounds, I lost 40 pounds last year and decided that I needed to work on maintaining that weight loss for a few months before going on to lose more weight, (I've been a yo-yo dieter for years) I also decided that I should join a support group and this one is awesome! :-) now I am ready to get started again. I am excited by all of the tips that I have picked up so far as well as the positive support and spirit that everyone shares. ( by the way I am 45 years old and weigh 174 pounds)
ceal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Good Morning Everyone.

Welcome to all the New Members to our 40 Somethings group!

Raining here in Ontario.

Questions for the week.

1/ What do you like to do when it's raining?

I like to read a good book.

2/Electrical storms... Do you like to watch them or no?

I like to watch them. I go out to my special spot on the cliffs over the lake and watch the storms over the lake.

3/ Tea, coffee, or hot chocolate?

I am a tea drinker. Green or White tea mostly.
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #178  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Welcome to all the new posters!!

1/ What do you like to do when it's raining? I like to cook.

2/Electrical storms... Do you like to watch them or no? I like to watch them while laying in bed at night. But sometimes they are really close and I worry about the house getting hit. That's not so fun.

3/ Tea, coffee, or hot chocolate? Tea - love it! I'm really into rooibis these days (African red tea). Coffee - love it! I usually have a large cup of french press every morning, but I missed it today. I'm out of whole milk, which is a key ingredient. The 2% that we have laying around just doesn't cut it. Hot chocolate - not so much, unless I'm camping.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #179  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Hi, Hotsplashes - raining here in MI too. Sounds like it's not going to let up for a couple days - but when it does, they're predicting some lovely warm spring weather. The frogs are gonna go nuts!!!

Welcome Ceal!

1. Favorite thing to do when it's raining - these days, it seems to be either video games or hangin' out here!
2. Love 'em - unless I happen to be in a tent in the middle of it!
3. Coffee AND tea! I can resist hot chocolate unless it's the Aztec formula with the dark chocolate and the cayenne - which is fortunately rare around these parts - have to go to Zingerman's in Ann Arbor to get it, and then it's about $5 a cup.

Great questions!
Old 04-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #180  
Eat Less Move More

Welcome Ceal, you have done great. I look forward to hearing more about how you maintained. Where are you in California, I'm in Apple Valley.

1. What do you like to do when it's raining?
Rain here is so infrequent and only burst of showers that life goes on as normal.

2. Electrical storms... Do you like to watch them or no?
LOVE THEM!!! Although since moving to California in 2002 we have had only one thunderstorm. I'm hoping that when I am in SC that I will get to sit out on the kids porch and watch a few blow in.

3. Tea, coffee, or hot chocolate?
I drink way too much coffee; about a pot a day. I also have 1 or 2 cups of tea in the evenings. I love Green and Chai tea.

Last edited by CruiseCAT; 04-20-2009 at 11:58 AM.