Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #151  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Congrats, Cruise! I know you've been watching for that one - and you have absolutely earned it!

Pony, isn't it a great feeling to watch your kids being active? I'm just always amazed by my 9-year old - he is so energetic, strong and flexible. Reminds me to get off my butt and try to match him. Of course, if I put away the calories he does, it would make the situation worse ...

Mel - congrats on keeping up with your running in spite of the visit!

TGIF, everyone - be well!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 252/223/160

Talking

Just wanted to let you know that I am still here.

I have a pinched nerve from a bone spur in my neck. LOT'S OF PAIN! I can't exercise but I am still eating OP. Just very frustrated that finally when I am doing something about my health...this gets in the way.

I will keep going though. I am trying some physical therapy and if that doesn't help I have to have surgery. On the bright side, at least I know that it can be fixed.

I will try to read all of the posts next time I can sit at the computer for 5 minutes.

I miss you all!
Hattie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 244/200/150

Height: 5'3''

Hattie be strong. You have a plan and you will get through this too. We will be cheering for you.
Roar like a tiger CruiseCat...congrats. You are inspiring!
ICUWishing...I love watching my kids do anything. Time is so precious. The more healthy we become, the better we will be able to keep up!
I am glad it is Friday. I cleaned my saddle after work today. The leather is soft, shiney, and calling my name for an early Saturday morning ride
Ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #154  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

LoserMom - thanks for the birthday wishes!

CruiseCAT - WOO HOO!!! Congratulations on breaking into the 40s!!

Hattie - Sorry to read that you are in so much pain and possibly facing surgery... Nice job keeping up with eating right - WTG!

So, as for me, Wow. I've eaten off plan for 2 days (my birthday, my son's birthday) and I'm up almost 5 lbs! Luckily I know it's mainly water, salt and sludge and will be off soon... But what a reminder to eat right! Nearly back on plan today -- I'm planning for normal eating, but one more night of restaurant food (my husband and I are going out alone to celebrate my birthday). But I'm planning to have sashimi for dinner so it shouldn't be too bad. Then come Sunday, I'm back to 100%. I'm looking forward to that.

Last edited by newleaf123; 04-18-2009 at 09:00 AM.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #155  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Heidi - Hope you enjoy your "date" night.

Pony - Did you get your ride in?

Hatti - Good to see you here again. Sorry to hear you you are in pain. Keep up the OP eating.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #156  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Cruise- congrats on the 140's!!!! WOW!!!!

Newleaf - you will see that 5lbs disappear almost as soon as it showed up. It's your birthday which to me is a good reason to enjoy a little bit. We all have to be flexible to these occassions in our lives, right? It's Sunday now and I'm sure you are going to have a GREAT ON TRACK DAY!!!

I did have a rough week, as some of you already know. And I got my butt kicked too, in my whining posts (which is good, I needed it!!!), so I've been working on changing my attitude the last several days. Not only my attitude, but my plan of attack. Seeing what snacks work for me, which ones don't, tracking, planning, making a note of my hunger levels etc. I made a very simple, old-fashioned excel sheet to note points I had the day before, weight in the AM, points saved, exercise points, what I did for exercise, hunger level and I'm also going to note when I get TOM because I never keep track of that stuff (that probably sounds strange, a 40 year old woman who is regular but never really knows when she gets TOM) so I can think about what's really going on in my body rather than just being fixated by a number on the scale.

In any case, it's going well... I'm not going to get too excited, because w/i day is Tuesday and anything can happen (though I *will* control my points to be sure I'm on plan), but just looking at AM weights for the last 5 days I seem to be down 1.2KG/ or 2.6lbs.

DH is going away for 10 days to India so I already planned all of next week and we did the shopping for the next week as well (I will probably have to buy a few fresh items). When I follow the plan, I will be fine. There are a couple of challenges, or at least one big one - a birthday party of a colleague on Friday, but I'm going to work on my brain this week to convince myself that I do not need 1) to drink to have a good time (but plan for at least 2 alcoholic beverages in case) and 2) eat bar food at all, so I already have a plan on what to eat BEFORE I go to the bar Friday evening.

If I'm honest, it's going to be HARD. But to accomplish Friday's challenge will be invigorating and amazing and I'm GOING to do it.

can you believe the week after is probably the LARGEST party in the Netherlands, Queen's Day, that the whole country is celebrating? Yes, I'm going to have to have a plan of attack for this one as well. Queen's Day and The Dutch Soccer Team participating in the European or World Cup is the biggest excuse to drink in this country!!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #157  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Velveteen- WOW! you have an awesome plan, we are here to support you every step of the way! You can do it!

Newleaf, You celebrated, now you are ready to get back to business! I think we need to have days off plan because they are the reality of life. We will have to do our best and then get back to what works. We won't always make the best choices but the important thing is what we do about the choices we make!

Do those of you who have been at this a time find that you feel like crap when you eat off plan? It's almost as if my body can't handle some of the stuff I used to eat.

Hattie, keep us posted on how you are doing. We will be thinking of you!

CruiseCat - Way to go for breaking into the 140's. 130's here you come!

I bought a new bathing suit yesterday. Size 16! I was tickled with how it fit and looks. Actually had a couple that I liked to pick from. It's so nice to have a choice and not feel like I had to settle. I am getting close to 50 pounds lost. A friend asked what I was going to do to celebrate. Any ideas?

Hi to Mel, ICU, Pony, Beemer, TSAP, Losermom, Hotsplashes, JacquiD and anyone else I may have missed (sorry!) Hope everyone has a great Sunday and an awesome week next week.

Last edited by Onmyway; 04-19-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #158  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Hattie: I'm sorry that you are in pain. Keep your chin up and WTG for staying on plan with a positive attitude.

Velveteen: There is nothing wrong with having a few drinks as long as you plan for them. I am a social girl and like my cocktails. I've just learned to drink lower calorie cocktails. My personal fav is Vodka & Diet Tonic, but very few bars have diet tonic. So instead I have a Vodka & Soda/Charged Water--I love the lime slices. Last night at my girlfriends house I had a Vodka & Fresca--a nice change up. Lots of people like Rum & Diet Coke, but I don't know if Diet Coke is available where you are at. There are also lots of lower calorie beers out there. I think the important thing to remember is to choose a low-cal mixer and don't overindulge. Because when you've had too much too drink your inhibitions go down and overeating seems too easy. Please don't think I'm partying all the time. I really only have cocktails 2-3 times a month.

Last edited by losermom; 04-19-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: additions
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #159  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

thanks Onmyway and Losermom!

actually I know I can have a few drinks, but my problem is saying "no" after only two! And believe me, I'm also not out partying all the time it's just occassionally when I go out, I have had the habit of having more than 2 adult beverages (you don't even want to KNOW what happened at my bachelorette party, but let's just say I *could* do that when I was 21, I really *shouldn't* be doing that at 40 and boy did I pay for it the next day!!!).

I have to say though, what the last week has taught me is to question myself: what do I want more? To have several drinks which leads to bar food which leads to going off program for 2 days? Or, to be eventually at the weight I want to be, have my self-confidence restored, feel good about myself and look hot in a pair of size 10 jeans and a cute close-fitting top (yeah, I'm vain too). I am going to visualise myself every time I say "no" to a drink now

We have very little diet drinks available, especially at the bar! So lame! We have Diet Coke and that's it. Not a huge rum fan. Vodka and soda water, huh? with lime slices? and that's not too flat tasting? I may try that! Vodka here is only 1 point. I was doing Vodka Diet Coke but it's not the best taste in the world (and I like my drinks to taste good - I'm not purposely trying to get drunk!). As far as I know, we have NO light beer here at all.

Onmyway - I DO feel like crap when I'm off plan. I think it's normal that our bodies start to realise what's good and what not so good. Another good reason to stay on plan and CONGRATS on the bathing suit!!! I threw out my old one and have a new smaller one waiting for me (also size 16 - I was close last year, but used my excuses to give up) that I WILL also be wearing this year
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #160  
Heidi

Velveteen - I am so glad you made it through last week; it was a tough one for you! But it sounds like the outcome is a new plan and new approach; it sounds like one that will work! I've been thinking of you. My week is a clear example of how you can eat perfectly on plan for 5 days and be up 5 lbs. It really is demoralizing, but back on the horse we go... The upside is that I wore a dress last night that I haven't worn since last August, and it was hanging very loose on me. Good motivation to keep moving forward! Continuing to move backwards just isn't a choice.

LoserMom & Velveteen - I hear you on the drinks. I don't drink a lot, but I do like to be able to spontaneously have a glass of wine. The trick is to make sure the glass doesn't lead to the endless glass that my neighbor is notorious for never allowing to get empty -- the downside I guess of lovely summer evenings on the deck. But I'll cross that bridge when it comes. This afternoon we are going to DH's boss' house for a cookout, and he is a real beer-pusher. I'm planning to have one, and that's IT. I'm also bringing my wonderful white bean-lemon-cumin salad as a side. Healthy and delicious! Too bad that they probably won't like it; I'll pretend to be surprised.

OnMyWay - WTG on the bathing suit!! Woo hoo!! You are doing so awesome. 50lbs, Wow! Celebrate... hmmm, maybe some new underwear??? Just kidding... that's what I did at 10lbs, if you recall.

CruiseCAT - the date night was wonderful. The quality of the sashimi was fabulous; I haven't had any since moving to Pittsburgh, being the sushi snob that I am. I was pleasantly surprised; can't wait to have more! We didn't like the atmosphere of the restaurant, though. Sort of Epcot-ish, as in "Now you have entered Japan. This is how people eat in Japan." Well, I've lived in Japan; I really don't need that. Just bring on the luscious fish!

Ponytail - how was your riding yesterday?
Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM   #161  
Heidi

Yay - I dodged the bullet of the cookout! Unfortunately it's because my 7-year-old is sick and I needed to stay home with him

But it definitely worked out in my favor! I still made the white bean salad and sent half of it with my husband, which means that I get to enjoy the other delicious half for a few days.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #162  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Newleaf, I would love the recipe for your salad. It sounds great! Thanks!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #163  
Heidi

White Bean Salad with Lemon and Cumin
Bon Appetit recipe

Ingredients
2 cups dried Great Northern beans
2 bay leaves
1.5 tsp salt
1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
6 tbs olive oil
5 tbs lemon juice (ie, juice of almost 2 lemons)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Place beans in large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Let beans soak overnight.

2. Drain beans. Place in heavy large saucepan. Add bay leaves and enough cold water to cover by 2 inches; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 min. Add salt and continue to summer until beans are tender but still hold shape, about 15 min. longer.

3. Drain beans and place in large bowl; discard bay leaves. Add onion and parsley.

4. Whisk oil, lemon juice, cumin, and cayenne in medium bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper (I didn't do this). Pour over bean salad; toss gently to combine.

Calories: 107 calories per 1/2 cup serving. Makes 14 1/2-cup servings. The recipe says it makes 8 servings, which would be 7/8 cup servings and 187 calories per serving.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #164  

Location: In the beautiful, green mountainess Willamette Valley,Oregon 50 miles from the Pacific Ocean beaches

S/C/G: 280/262/135

Height: 5'3

Hello I'm a newbie.I'm 46 soon to be 47 in June.I'm fat as a cow and ready for a permanent change.I love this thread and hope to make some nice friends on here.See you again soon.P.S. Too new to get a ticker.But I will be able to after 20 posts.I guess thats the way it goes.

Last edited by Nspired2lose; 04-19-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: to add smilie
Nspired2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #165  
Heidi

Welcome, Nspired2lose! I wish you well on your journey! By now you've probably surfed around enough to see that there are lots of women here who have been successful losing a lot of weight so that must be encouraging.

As for the ticker, I think it takes a combination of 20 days membership AND 20 posts. But it's good motivation to stick around and give/get support. The 20 days will be gone before you know it, and hopefully you'll be able to start out already showing a loss.