Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning Everyone!

I have been catching up with the posts and feel so many connections with things said. I do appreciate all of the support and even if not voiced I feel it.

Fi thanks for asking how I am doing and a long post is to follow with an update.

I am missing my coffee this morning. I am not able to have any because I have a stress test today. I had a smoothie instead and will have some hard boiled eggs and veggie bacon before I leave. Thank goodness it is a clear day so I can wear my runners and not have to carry them.

I am becoming frustrated with my weight loss efforts. I am trying by journaling my food and staying in my points (I use WW points plus system to track) most of the time. For one month I am hovering at the same weight within a pound and a half, it fluctuates. I don't understand it. I have used this weight loss system before and done very well. I have had two good weeks of activity and two not great due to health issues. I did have my thyroid removed two months (almost) ago and will see an endocrinologist next Monday. I am on synthroid a thyroid replacement hormone and I have not yet had my blood work done to see if it is enough or too much etc. I try to be kind to myself but I think when I was 33 and last did a serious effort to lose weight I lost over 100 pounds in a year and there were plenty of times I went way over in points but my activity was much higher, likely twice as much at least. And I was over 10 years younger and my thyroid worked. Anyway I plug away. Any feedback appreciated.

I will also climb on that horse. I love horses but I did not have the opportunity to learn to ride well. When I was 16 I went with friends to go horseback riding. I chose a fat horse called "Daisy" to ride because I figured she would be tame and easy. Hmmm far from the truth.
She was very stubborn and fought me the whole time. At one point she took off from the instructor, we were on trails in farm country, and ran. I fell off and the instructor had to race to get Daisy back. I got back on and Daisy ran off again. I stayed on but she took me on a crazy journey she even ran down a muddy hill and took me through a river. Man it was wild. We got back to the barn because she knew the way and she just started eating all the oats. LOL. It was an event and my last venture horse back riding.

I do think there are things I would like to do that my weight holds me back from:

Going to an amusement park and going on all the rides
Learning to kayak
Canoeing
Aging confidently.

I hope everyone is doing okay. I will check in later.

Andrea
Old 12-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

We got snow!!!! OK, it was a dusting at best and it didn't even cover the grass all the way, but it's still pretty out. Have you ever noticed you can tell the people who are retired by whether or not they like snow? Not having to drive in the stuff to get to work has greatly increased my appreciation!

Ubee -- No plow horse for you.....only those young stallions. When I read that a picture of a young Brad Pitt came into mind -- or rather his head on a horse's body. That would help to take away any lingering fear of horses. And we'd never kick you out of the posse!

Jane -- glad that kidney stone is out of the way and that you're on probiotics. I always just eat a lot of yogurt, and I have a friend who has to have the quesiest (is that even a word?) stomach in the world and he swears by Activia. Hope all gets back to normal soon.

Fi -- glad that you're getting a new meds combination and 11 days of no emotional eating! WOW! I'm real thrilled if I go 11 hours. Don't know if I'm addicted to diet soda, but I allow myself one per day. I used to drink a six pack a day, but started trying to cut back. I, too, have drunk diet soda since my teens.

Val -- congrats on having a good day -- always hard to do after one of the big holidays. One thing I used to love to do.....well, I'd say it would be just walking further than about 50 yards without heavy breathing or pain. I think so many other things will come when I can walk further again. I have stopped using my cane, want to get to where I'm walking outside again and try to start building up some distance. Eventually, I want to go day packing again.

Yesterday was a great start to the day and a disastrous finish. So, today I'm mentally in the game and ready to get these last 7 pounds off. Nothing exciting on the agenda -- sign the checks at the Co-op and pay my bills. Maybe I'll even tackle the floors as they look like a disaster area what with having 7 people (including the little ones) and 3 dogs here for 4 days.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 380/ticker/180

Height: 5"9

I am back online!! and I missed it!

Fi- I am super psyched to be going home!! A bit nervous though as I am cooking my first turkey this year, but it's just me and my mum so if I screw it up she'll forgive me and I'll whip something else up (not too worried about screwing it up though, I've cooked many other types of meat through roasting...and my mum has cooked a turkey before so if I need help I'll ask her).

I have a poker tournament on Thursday that I am pretty excited for! up to 63 total players, and I am going with 4 of my regular poker guys. A bit nervous but mostly excited to test my skills with a bunch of strangers!

Also actually lost a pound! Happy to report that as I thought I would never see weight loss again... lol... but I was happy to at least maintain for the past 2 weeks, especially when my eating hasn't been 100% on plan, but there have been no binges either!

Entering a small Christmas party season, 3 events coming up.... but feeling pretty good overall.

Hope you are all doing well and hope to catch up in the next few days
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #34  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I had a really rough day: lots of depression pain, in the afternoon especially. But I'm still hopeful that the change in my meds is going to sort things out. It may take a while, though. I'm still on plan with Atkins, and I did my leg exercises.

Andrea— I don't know anything about the WW system, but you might want to consider changing the proportions of your protein/fat/carb intake in the direction of fewer carbs. We all get more sensitive to the effects of carbohydrates on the insulin-regulated storage of fat in our bodies, as we get older. From what I've read, at least, it makes sense to eat fewer carbs, the older you are. That might account for the difference in your response to the diet as compared to before—along with the thyroid issue, of course. It may sound a bit counter-intuitive, but again, from the books I've read, you might want to keep the proportion of protein you eat the same, decrease the amount of carbs, and increase the amount of fat. For example, you could cut out some of the bread or rice or other starch you're eating, and replace those calories with healthy fats like nuts or olive oil. I recommend Gary Taubes's Why We Get Fat, if you want to get some of the background behind this unsolicited advice I'm giving you. =smile=
Old 12-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #35  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Hello all! Cool to see all the horse lovers! PluckyPear... I would have loved to have had a 'chat' with Daisy back in the day. I spoil my hooved children like crazy in some ways, but anything that's dangerous is just NOT acceptable. You must have been terrified! Mares! Humbug! (as a proud alpha mare, I think I can say it - they're ornery critters!)

No halo for me today, but no beating either. Yes I broke down and had 2 cookies, but if you'd seen the pile of birthday goodies piled in front of my desk all day, well, I'm just amazed I'm not wearing another pecan pie on one cheek and a donuts on the other. I even went through Dunkin for a cup of coffee tonight and aaaaaalmost answered the call of the Boston Crème, but then I escaped. So now that I think about it, I did pretty well.

I wish you all a good day tomorrow, with not just the strength to say no to what would otherwise hurt you, but with the gladness of knowing that you're CHOOSING to treat yourself well and look forward to things far more precious and lasting than another freakin' donut!

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 12-03-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #36  

Hi everybody.

Betsy You had a very full house indeed! I signed cheques at the Co-op today as well, but at my Co-op where I live. I am also dealing with plenty of member issues. But I love it.

Fi I appreciate your suggestions and will check that book out of the local library. I just remember before calories in really did equal calories out, whether I ate well or chocolate. Now not so much. I don't want to give up all carbs but I do believe I could reduce them for sure. I am not a big meat eater at all so sometimes struggle to get protein other then with beans. I tend to do well enough with beans though. I was a vegetarian for over 20 years but now eat limited fowl (chicken, turkey) and fish. I might eat beef once every few months. Even chicken I only want once every two weeks or so. I am sharing this because I remember reading paleo books and tried it but could not stand the meat aspect, they are so opposed to beans. I am not a huge egg fan either, maybe 2 per week.

Nolifewithouthorses I was terrified. Daisy was naughty for sure and I was totally inexperienced.

I am pooped as I had a long day. I had my stress test then a meeting tonight. It is hard to get enough sleep as DH gets home late and then gets up early for work.

Good night.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good morning!
Andrea, your horse back riding experience sounds like mine. Yikes! I was scared! I hope your tests all come back saying all is well. As for losing like we used to, I was always a slow loser. However this last year I lost (20% of my starting weight) very fast the first six months doing what Fi suggested. However now I am dancing around with the same ten pounds. Of course I am not as strict and I'm OK with that. I need to figure out something I can live with and I think it may involve portion control. I never thought I could go low carb but now I realize how crappy carbs made me feel.
Betsy, I hope it is OK to ask...Why were you using a cane? I hurt my knee before this journey and I only had to use a walker for a few days but I can tell you it scared the living daylights out of me. Maybe I should put that walker in front of the fridge or treadmill for motivation.
Melissa, way to go on losing a pound! Good luck with poker, it sure sounds fun!
Fi, always glad to see you and hoping each day brings improvement. Thanks for bringing up that book. I have it from the library and need to finish it!
Val, I think that was great progress you showed at work. I always give myself credit for healthy improvements over my past behaviors.
As for me, I am not feeling it today but all my favorite salad mixes are on sale so if I do overeat it will be on salads after I get off of here and go shopping!
How is everyone doing?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #38  

Good Morning!

I am very interested in pursuing a form of low carb or at least lower carb eating and will get the book Fi suggested. I am curious what people who are not very meat oriented eat, say vegetarians. Although I am no longer vegetarian I eat mainly vegetarian meals. I can see myself living without pasta and rice but the thought of giving up beans, winter squash, oats or potatoes makes me antsy. LOL.

I use Weight Watchers points plus system. It is just another form of calorie counting really. Each food has a points value attached and when points are done for the day no more eating. I like that the more you weigh the more points you get and the points allotted me match the calories I would get from myfitnesspal as well. At least from what I can gather. So as I lose weight I slowly lower my points to match size, age and activity levels etc.

I have looked at many plans and often take something from them. I even thought of intermittent fasting as I love to eat the majority of my food at night if I can. I love a big dinner and an evening snack with tea. However I wake up ravenous no matter how much I ate the night before. Smoothies do not do it for me. I don't need a big breakfast and I find I do really well with oats made from groats, fruit and an added protein such as a tablespoon of cashew or almond butter mixed in. Guess I should try that more often. Eggs don't really fill me up.

So much talk about food so early in the morning. I am having a lazy morning. I am off of work right now with health issues and will not return until May. I am tired from losing sleep the last two nights. DH is off to work and I am here with my coffee typing away. Soon I will make a lazy cabbage roll casserole for meals which consists of cabbage, red onions, garlic, spices (I love chilies), plain jarred tomatoes, ground low fat organic chicken, and I am using mozzarella cheese because I don't have any cottage cheese, baked in the oven. YUM. I also have chicken breasts to make for DH with brown rice and spinach when he gets home.

I really try to buy organic food and when I cannot due to availability or price I but from the clean 15 list thus I eat a lot of cabbage in the winter. I am going to the farmer's market on Saturday to stock up for Christmas. I will write more about that later because this is already super long.

I am planning on doing some chores today and playing music to get me moving.

I hope everyone is having a good day.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. It's cold for here -- down into the 20s, and Toby is driving me nuts. Definitely being a typical puppy, but he's just escaped with paper from my office for at least the 10th time. This is after I've sprayed everything with Bitter Apple. Guess I should just be happy I can count it as exercise!

Time4me -- Your life is always so full. I remember that anticipation of getting to go home for the holidays -- it's such a great feeling. The poker tournament sounds like fun, losing a pound is always good news, and I'm sure the turkey will come out fine. When my MIL roasted her first turkey (after my marriage to her son and my convincing her that she could do it), she left the neck and giblets bag in the bird. Still came out fine, and gave us something to laugh about for years to come.

Andrea -- That was one mean and determined horse. Glad you got back to the barn and her oats safely. Your Co-op sounds as though it gives you much more satisfaction than ours does. And actually, most people who volunteer at Co-ops seem to have more positives than negatives. Ours has a bad case of Founderitis; i.e., the Founder doesn't know her ear from a hole in the ground when it comes to running a business, but refuses to step down and is the most passive aggressive person I've ever met. Hope your thyroid tests go well. On the low carb front, there is a low carb forum on 3FC, lots of cook books for eating more low carb, etc. I found that for me, I had to just experiment with what what my carb limit. I seem to lose weight if I keep the calories below 1200 and the carbs at 75g/day or less. But it definitely varies for each person. If you really like the WW system, you might try their diabetic point plan. Most of the diet plans for diabetics significantly lower the number of carbs that you can have. Good luck. Sometimes it's just a matter of experimenting until you find your sweet zone. Oh, you might also go to some of the web sites that sell low carb foods. I use Walden Farms salad dressings, egg nada noodles, etc. When I just have to have a potato, I'll eat the little red or Yukon gold ones (3 of the small new potatoes) or else half a baked sweet potato but with just nutmeg on it. Or else I'll make sweet potato fries in the oven with some olive oil for roasting. There are also low carb breads -- Sara Lee has one that's pretty good and is readily available in larger grocery stores.

Val -- Was it your birthday? If so hope it was a good one. If not, congrats on resisting the sweets (and I'd ask them to move the goodie table!). But I'm really impressed with passing up the Boston Creme. When I'm tired is when I succumb to the "one won't hurt me" blues.

Ubee -- How did all the salad fixings work out? Hope that having them available helped with getting you through the day. Why the cane? When I was at my heaviest, I needed the cane to have something to lean on. Between the arthritis in my knees and hips and the waddling from side to side from the weight, I just couldn't walk very far without it. I still have a long way to go, but it's a lot better.

All of the leftovers from Thanksgiving are now out of the house, and I'm doubly committed to sticking to plan for the rest of the month. The good news is that when I eat so much of the rich stuff, I feel nauseous -- anyone else have that feeling? Maybe I used to feel this way all the time, but now that I know how much better I can feel eating good foods, I'm not as tempted to go off course. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but at least I'm getting to the point where it's not an every day struggle -- make that an every day armed combat. Off to the gym and then I need to do some more online shopping!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 310/310/250

Unhappy

hello ladies sorry i haven't had time to write with thanksgiving and all the craziness and me having to do everything alone i just didn't have time but hey what can you do right? ..
i have some very sad news i just found out we cant celebrate Christmas this year do to money issues . im just heart broken because it is my daughters first christmas and i would have liked to give her a nice first christmas but sometimes things are just out of your control

also all this stress and sadness have have taken a toll on me and just taken me off track i think i went up like another 2 lbs but im too nervous to get on the scale to confirm or deny .. so that's how i've been doing hopefully ya'll have been doing better than me .
but im trying keeping my head up !! and just tell myself at least my baby girl will be with me on christmas even if her dad has work we can still have fun and just enjoy each others company
Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Good afternoon!
Andrea, I found that I was eating so many carbs that my idea of low carb is not that low. Your casserole sounds low carb to me. I also eat a lot of almonds, pistachios, avacados, and low fat cheeses and greek yogurt. Like Betsy suggests everyones sweet spot is different. I like organic too and need to google clean 15 list.
Betsy, thanks for explaining about the cane, and I'm glad things are improving! I just found out recently that being heavy can cause you to get off balance easier. Guess I was lucky not to have found out the hard way. Thank goodness for Toby keeping you moving! Sometimes I feel quesy with sweets. I do notice I can not eat as many/much as before!
Sandra, I am sorry you are having money issues. We have had to work on Christmas and it is hard. I 'm sure you know in your heart everyday is Christmas when you are holding your sweet baby. As for the scale, well we've all been there and I know I will be again... one day at a time. Sending you hugs.
Have a focused day everyone!
PS Yes, I did buy a ton of salad fixings. My cart looked like a garden!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #42  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I was losing water weight, but now I'm not. Again. I'm really hoping that it's just muscle soreness from starting to work out again, I know that I am really feeling it. I let myself get soft!

Sandra - You need to do what you need to do. This will break your heart far more than it ever will your daughter's. There's always next year!

crazy at work again. Can't wait for this to be over!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Hey guys.. Been busy!

Thanks everyone for the support I need it
Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Hey guys been busy!!

Thanks everyone for the welcome back.. I'm going to need lots of support! lol

As far as food. I've been staying on track and doing pretty good at it. I haven't had much time to exercise let alone have a moment to myself! lol I have school, my internship AND work. soo been super busy! hope I can start to exercise soon. Also have not had a chance to weigh myself in a while hopefuly I see a decrees! Will definitely make me feel better!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #45  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Just a quick note: I'm on plan, still somewhat depressed, but not as bad as yesterday. I'm going cold turkey off the aspartame: today I stocked up on Zevia and seltzer. Zevia is yummy! I especially like the cream soda.

Oh, and last night I had my first serious test of the anti-binge technique I learned from Kathryn Hansen's Brain Over Binge. I got angry about something. Anger is the hardest emotion for me to just live through and not stuff my face with sweets. So I got a bigtime craving for cookies. But I was able to separate myself from the voice that was demanding cookies, and stay in control of my actions. =whew= Hansen says that once she mastered the technique, it took about three weeks for the urges towards emotional/compulsive eating to get less and less persistent, and about nine months for them to go away completely. I am SO psyched to give up this behavior for good!
Closed Thread