Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #46  
Moving one day at a time

S/C/G: 450/399/160

Height: 5'2"

yeah, car troubles are my worst nightmare. it's making me want to eat eat eat. I didn't realize I was such a stress eater until I started having all this crap come up at once. good thing my hubby got a hold of his sister's boyfriend who works on cars for fun so hopefully this means good stuff for me. we just found that we didn't have anything for lunch in the house and hubby tried to force me into taco bell. I told him to shove it up his @$$ and made him go to blimpie to get me a spinach wrap instead WINNER! I'll take that 410 calories of deliciousness over a 560 high fat contented cantina bowl!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi Everybody!

I am a regular in the 300+ and getting fit over 40 thread. I always lurk over here. Today I am giving in to temptation and joining in here also. I am rather chatty so I think I can handle both! I'm getting too patient on my journey so I'm hoping we can help motivate each other and share our thoughts.

Have a good day! Ubee
Old 06-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 390/352/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezypi View Post
WINNER! I'll take that 410 calories of deliciousness over a 560 high fat contented cantina bowl!
You go Wheezypi... I am very proud of you... I know the other day I was wanting taco bell (thank God I don't have one here in my town) and I started looking up the calorie content of some of my faves... Wow!!! I just decided that I didn't want to spend my calories that way.

The other day I did something similar... Several family members got together and we all went to Cracker Barrel to celebrate my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary. I got online and checked out what they had and wound up getting a grilled pork chop, carrots and pinto beans (no bread even). It was delicious and under 500 calories. I was pretty happy with myself. The old me would have said "oh I can have whatever I want this meal and will get right back with it" and then it might take me months to get back with it. By looking ahead and choosing wisely, I still had a great meal that I just loved, got to have a lunch out with my family and still stayed on plan.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. Hope the weekend was fun for everyone.

Wheezypi -- so glad that you found a friend to do the repairs on your car. I don't know what it is about stressors like that, but it makes sticking to plan that much harder. Hopefully you'll be cruising down the road before long.

UBEE -- glad you decided to join in the chat with us. This is one of my "must check in each day" threads -- great people!

PJVW34 -- Congrats on managing your dining out experience by planning ahead. It's the only way to do it as the calorie counts on some items are just outrageous. I've looked up a couple of salads that were over 1100 calories! Plus it seems like I can enjoy the experience more if I know ahead of time what to order and not be worrying about if I'm going to blow the whole week with one meal.

The entire family was here yesterday for Father's Day. We had a great day together and my dear nephews spread the rest of the seemingly never ending mulch pile for me! It sure didn't go as far as I thought it would, but it looks great. They accomplished in about 3 hours what would have taken me several days/weeks to get done. I really appreciated their work. It really helped to be able to use the lawn tractor and the cart instead of relying on wheelbarrows for everything.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #50  
the muse of memory

wheezypi - I hope your husband and dad were able to fix things. Car trouble can be very, very stressful. JUST WORK CAR, us how I feel.

dgramie - augh, your poor hubby! that sounds like a lot of pain, I hope everything goes well with him. And yes! pop in here too and give us updates! I'm glad you got the wedding weight off, but I know how you feel. My scales are not moving right now, either.

betsy - haha, he said NOTHING. Maybe he just doesn't know what to say. I'm going with that. ALSO: question. How much space does a blueberry bush need? My mother bought me one and I have literally no idea where to put it. I finished planting last week (I TOLD HER I WAS DONE) but of course I get to their house at 7 last night and there it is waiting for me. Heh.

It sounds like your Father's Day was a great success and how awesome that your nephews took care of that work for you!

UBEE - welcome!

Pam - good job searcing our your options. THAT is one of the more necessary things I do, I always research menu options at chain restaurants.

--

So, I had a great weekend. Went shopping on Friday, then out to dinner at a local foods restaurant, then walked and walked and walked in this great neighborhood to go out for drinks at a meadery and listen to live music and sit outside. Stopped at a chocolate place on the way back to the car (we were walking ALOT) and I tried a Vanilla honey fig black peppercorn mocha. It was just okay so I drank only a little bit. Also tried a beer-jalapeno brittle and a chocolate / bleu cheese truffle.

Saturday we had brunch (again, sitting outside). I had a really delicious veggie burger. Then went to a great bookstore, the Columbus Park of Roses, World Market, and the Franklin Park Conservatory, then out to dinner (well, in the end it was lunch, hah) at another place in the short north where I got tofu pad thai.

THEN the concert, which was amazing. Uh, here is a snippet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lx2a...layer_embedded

After the concert we went out for drinks (I was driving so I ordered something to sip - it was a combination of ginger ale, fresh lime, and whiskey was was delicious - and let my brother finish it.) at a whiskey bar. We're leaving there and it's one a.m. and it has been seven hours since dinner and I only ate half of mine, so I'm like: I'm hungry. I was thinking dessert or appetizers but instead we stopped at another local bar/restaurant and I had a taco salad with vegan chili on top. I was going to order nachos but my brother wanted a sandwich and I didn't want to eat all the nachos myself. The taco salad was the better option anyway, and I still got some chips and some vegan chili.

Sunday: brunch again. I had half of a savory lemon scone and really good coffee, and then ice cream at Jeni's (which does delicious organic / local ice cream). Said fare well to my brother and then had more stops to make to buy bagels for my folks. I stopped and walked around at an art / craft fair, and did a TINY amount of clothes shopping, and stopped, finally, at Trader Joe's on my way out of town. Oh if I lived near a Trader Joe's.

Made it to my folks in time for Father's Day dinner (a late one!). So, it was all good.

Hope y'all all had a great weekend.

Oh, the NSVs: no way I would've done this last year. When my brother wanted to go to the meadery he seemed to be suggesting that we drive. I asked how far it was and he said it was about a mile. I was like, just let me put on my other sandals and we'll walk. It was great.

Everyplace we ate was local so there was no way to look up nutrition info, but I made good choices even in the middle of not-great choices. Didn't finish the mocha because I didn't want it. Ate part of my veggie burger with the bun, then took the bun off for the rest. Ordered salads with sandwiches instead of fries. Didn't finish my DELICIOUS ice cream because I was done with it.

And, between those choices and all the walking and exercise, I was the same weight this morning as I was when I left Friday. SO YAY.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #51  

Hi Everybody!

Pam, nice choice at Cracker Barrel. That is a nice meal for under 500 calories. I always think for under 500 calories it has to be a salad.

Betsy, thanks for the welcome. That was so nice of your nephews. I know you have been working on it for a while. I have a nephew who likes to landscape. I have big plans for him next Spring to make my yard easier to care for.

Mnemosyne, thanks for the welcome. Your weekend sounds like it was amazing. I have to ask... Did your brother notice your weight loss???

It is only the beginning of summer and it is proving to be a tough one. I struggle with the lack of routine. The scale is up this week. Too many tempting foods, too little will power/commitment!

I did have a "duh" moment today when I pulled on my pants I thought to myself "I am so sick of loose pants." That is the plan, isn't it!!!!

Take Care. Ubee
Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #52  

Ubee... I love it!!! I had to laugh at your loose pants comment. That is definitely THE PLAN! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone! I have been trying really hard. Before I would have given up by now. In fact, every time I think about giving up I think "wait, you have a 5K to run in a couple of weeks, you can't give up now." Whoever thought paying to walk would get me this motivated? Certainly not me. I tell my friend all the time that we must be crazy to pay to walk and only get a tshirt. LOL. The really funny thing is that she wears her Tshirts like trophies. (she has been doing this a couple of years now and just convinced me to start) I guess that is what it is all about.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 409/392/150

Height: 5'5"

pjvw34 - It's amazing how motivating races can be. I don't speak from experience (yet!), but my older brother lost 150 pounds through running. Now he enters races on a weekly basis, and he's training for his first full marathon. Not bad for a guy who was in the hospital with a suspected heart attack at age 32!

I just have to share - I lost 10 pounds! In less than a week, too. Not starving myself by any means, but I cut way back on carbs. Apparently that's the way to go for me!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #54  

Way to go Lariet!!! That is awesome! You just have to find what works for you and go for it! I think you found it!

And your older brother what an inspiration he is! I don't know that I will ever do weekly races but I am planning monthly ones.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all.

Mnem -- WOW! What a weekend. It sounds as though it was as close to the perfect weekend as it gets. Wonderful food choices and lots of activities. Just casually agreeing to walk someplace that was a mile away is awesome -- what a big NSV!!!! Blueberry bushes can take up little to a lot of space depending on the cultivar. But, generally, if you plant it about 3-4 feet away from other bushes/trees (on all sides) you'll be fine. Also, the soil needs to be on the acidic side. And I'm with UBEE.......did your brother notice?

UBEE -- A change in routine definitely can throw a kink in things. I went from 60-70 hour work weeks to 0 cold turkey when I retired. It does take a while to adjust, but eventually the no routine became my routine (don't know if that makes sense, but now I hate being overscheduled). Hope it evens out for you. Loved the loose pants comment.

pjvw34 -- What a concept -- keep dieting because you've got a 5K walk coming up that you've paid to participate in. All to get a T shirt! Hope this yoga class I've signed up for gives me the same drive!

Lariet50 -- Wow 10 pounds in one week. It feels so good to find what seems to work. Keep it going.

Yesterday I did the annual fish pond cleaning -- ICK -- and installed the new pump. This has to be about the 5th pump in as many years. I love the sound of the water, and the grandnephews think that the fish are their pets. Today I'm going to work on putting down newspaper with compost on top in the garden along with fertilizer. It cuts down on the weeds and helps with building the soil for next year. I figure about the time I get to the point where I can't manage this house any more, I'll have good soil.

Better get going to the gym. Have a wonderful day!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

I haven't stopped by to say hello in quite so hey everyone! I hope you all are doing great!

I am down 47lbs. I'm down to 318. I feel like I am so close to being under 300! I am hoping to be able to reach that by Sept! I can't wait to be there!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
pjvw34 -- What a concept -- keep dieting because you've got a 5K walk coming up that you've paid to participate in. All to get a T shirt! Hope this yoga class I've signed up for gives me the same drive!
Betsy... LOL... I know, right? for a silly tshirt... I agree I hope that the yoga motivates you as well...
Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #58  

Hi Everybody!

Pam, is that a new avatar??? WTG!!!! Your hard work is paying off! I think of your t-shirts as trophies.

Lariet50, 10 pounds in one week! I guess you get a WTG!!! also! Your brother sounds amazing. I'm sure he must be very encouraging to you.

Betsy, you have so much energy for your yard work! I do the newspaper trick and it is great for keeping weeds away. The worms and the soil love it. I think you will love it!

Workinghard, you really picked an appropriate screen name. Wow! This thread is really full of some good losers! I think everyone gets a WTG! today!

I went shopping and bought a new pair of pants today. Two sizes smaller. I can not wait for them to be loose! The transformation in the mirror caught me off guard. I was still hiding in my fat pants so people would not notice me as much. Time to let them notice because I am going to keep on losing.

See you soon! Ubee
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 330/300/200

Height: 5'11

Evening all

I'm new to the site so I'm just roaming around and popping my head in here and there to say hello. I've been feeling really down about my battle with my weight but when I participated in the picture thread I actually gasped at the difference in weight from the picture I'd taken in January and one I'd taken just last month. I knew I'd lost about 30lbs but I wasn't able to see it until I made the comparison so that was a nice surprise

It's starting to get real steamy and gross here now as it does in the summer which means hiding indoors in the afternoons so I don't burst into flames but I have to say in the summer time all I ever feel like doing is drink water and eat fruits and vegetables. I love my pasta but it's always so heavy and of course not conducive with weight loss. My sister introduced me to Ronzoni's veggie pastas and I have to say I LOVE them Saute some peppers and sliced turkey sausage and mix with a splash of sauce and serve on top of the veggie pasta, SO good:-D
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #60  

Ubee - why yes it is a new avatar!!! Thanks for noticing!

Glad you got yourself some new pants! I know it felt good to buy a smaller size. 2 sizes smaller even... That is awesome!!!

I am not ready to buy any yet as I have many smaller sizes here in my closet that I need to wear!

Lariet - 10 pounds in one week is great and it makes you feel so good to see progress.

Working - Keep it up you are doing great!!!
Closed Thread