Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/290/190

Height: 5'4

Default Bad Experience in the Store

So yesterday I was in the food section of Wal-Mart and I'm going through making sure I pick up a few things that are light and good for me. I'm feeling good becuase I'm getting back on track now and then it happens. A couple, a skinny couple, with skinny kids came through. And I heard them talking, but then started talking so low I couldn't really hear them, and laughing. I look back to see them looking at me and then their skinny teenage daughter looked at me like I was the most disgusting thing she'd ever seen. I guess for a minute I was shocked. Some people are rude, but I hadn't seen anyone be that rude in awhile, I guess. And I sort of tried to push it away, thinking that while I was in the ice cream section, I was buying FF bars, as a treat that wouldn't hurt me too much. Then of course as the evening went along I could tell I was thinking about it and getting down and in a bad mood. I didn't let it affect me when dinner time came, didn't eat to hide the feelings and push them down with food like I' would normally do. But I do still feel bad about it. Just trying to use for positive help. Motivation. But it's hard to do.
KareBearJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

I am sorry that happened to you and proud that you didn't let it shake you up so much you went off your diet. People can be so rude and obnoxious. It is so sad they are teaching their children to do the same. Try not to waste your energy thinking anymore about it. They aren't worth it.
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'11"

What complete jerks. I'm proud of you. You are fighting a hard battle, and they do not understand. People can be very cruel and you are amazing because even though you were hurt and feeling like using food to medicate the pain. You didn't. And that is amazing. It is inspirational that you dealt with such a discouraging situation. Feel good abot that fact that you are a winner. You won against them and their hurtful actions.
ma26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow how rude. Honestly I have never hesitated to tell someone "great parenting skills- way to teach your kid to (insert bad behavior here)" - usually that embarasses them.

I remember once at a cafeteria that had a line- I was walking up and this woman and what looked like her granddaughter walked in front of me. I thought- no biggie- and continued forward. It wasn't a straight line- it was station after station and you could pick where you wanted to go.

At one point they were standing at one station and I didn't want anything there- so I headed to the next station and the woman behind the counter proceeded to make the salad I ordered. The lady eventually comes over with the soup and bread she received and then proceeded to yell that I "cut her" in line. The woman behind the counter said she was almost done with my salad and would make her one right away. But she was ranting and finally I was like "actually MAM you stepped in front of me as I was walking to the line and I didn't say one word, and then WHY on earth should I wait for you to get your soup and bread when I just want a salad? WAY to teach your granddaughter to behave. To first CUT people in line then complain when you have to wait an additional minute for a salad- that's GREAT- she'll grow up to be a brat thanks to you."

She tried to yell some more but at that point I grabbed my salad and told her to get over herself and walked away.

We were at Nordstrom's and I just felt like that woman felt she was entitled or something- I hate people like that.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #5  
Happy and someday healthy

S/C/G: 255/246.5/170

Height: 5'8"

I agree completely! Go you for not letting them get you too down! There are always going to be people that try to put others down to make themselves feel better. The best thing to do is not give them the power to make you feel bad. You're doing great!
Staci816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

What I never understand is why some people think it's funny, or appropriate, to judge an overweight person when they're buying healthy foods. I've had this happen to me too, and it makes no sense. Feels like a lose-lose situation... it's like we buy junk food and we're judged for eating the crap that got us here, or we buy healthy food and we're judged because obviously we're fighting a losing battle. GRRR right?!

That being said... Good job for sticking to your plan, and for being honest with yourself about your feelings rather than numbing them with food. It's normal to feel upset about their rotten behaviour, but you should be very proud of yourself for not giving into it, or dignifying their ignorance and rudeness by letting it destroy your plan. Good job
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #7  
I shall be released...

Yeah, the important thing here is how you dealt with the situation and you really succeeded! It's sad people can be so ignorant and insensitive, but dealing with people like that is just a part of life. Be proud of yourself, turn it into motivation, and march forward!
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5

I'm very sorry..that must have really hurt. Keep your head up!
constance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Those idiots took one look at you in a store & thought they knew your life story & your disposition & your values & everything about you. And they guessed wrong. They don't know you at all. You are a smart, resourceful, strong woman. They underestimated you completely. You were making sensible choices. (Actually, I'll bet you eat better than they do.) And I am another one who admires you for NOT eating to soothe your feelings over this. This is a battle I still fight myself.

Forget about prejudiced idiots. They're not worth your time.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Wow. I'm amazed at how people can act. It definitely says more about their personality than your eating habits when they act like that! How ignorant! Good for you for rising above it!!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #11  
Taking care of me.

First off to 3FC.

On your first post, you found out how great the support is here.

I'm proud of you for not letting their rudeness interfere with your plan. Great Job!!!
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 365/270.4/265

Height: 5 foot 2

Good for you for not letting anyone's opinion matter but yours!!
You might have some struggles ahead of you but getting your health intact will be alot easier than the struggle that family has ahead of them.
Karma comes for everyone.
sweetcakes736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #13  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

People can be so cruel. I'm sorry
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Like everyone else, I am super sorry that someone was so stinkin rude to you! It has happened to a lot of us including me but unlike the strength you showed by just going on about your business and not letting it derail you I didn't do that. I applaud your courage and your sticktoitness! When someone at Costco actually held their daughter up to my cart to show her what was in it that was making me so fat, I got home and stayed holed up in my house for over 6 months without coming outside at all. So, good for you for realizing those people are the ones with the problem not you.

Hugs and blessings,
Annie
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Quote:
When someone at Costco actually held their daughter up to my cart to show her what was in it that was making me so fat
Oh dogpal... this breaks my heart. I literally want to go smack this person in the face, and make her LOOK at what you've done for yourself, in spite of people like her... key phrase here being FOR YOURSELF. I'm so proud of you.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote