Old 04-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

What I never understand is why some people think it's funny, or appropriate, to judge an overweight person when they're buying healthy foods. I've had this happen to me too, and it makes no sense. Feels like a lose-lose situation... it's like we buy junk food and we're judged for eating the crap that got us here, or we buy healthy food and we're judged because obviously we're fighting a losing battle. GRRR right?!

What is saddest is that we all have vices. The skinny people may not be over weight, but if they are being rude, they must have other control issues/vices of their own. It is sad that we can't all just love one-another for who we are realizing that each and every one of us has faults. Some faults are just easier to see than others.

I am so sorry you had to deal with that at the store. People are rude and insensitive. Try to remember the problem is theirs and not yours! Best wishes to you!
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
When someone at Costco actually held their daughter up to my cart to show her what was in it that was making me so fat
Now there's a teaching moment.

But it's not teaching what this person thought.

It's teaching everyone who reads this anecdote how thoughtless, rude & cruel this particular person was.

And it's teaching how strong & persistent you are for persevering & putting yourself out there, in spite of the sting of that memory.

Who are these idiots, to judge people by what's in their grocery cart? Who? Who?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #18  

Height: almost 5'3"

Oh, I am so sorry that you encountered those rude people! I know how much that can hurt but please be proud of yourself for not being like them! After my husband and I were married for enough years to already have 3 beautiful children my beautiful, skinny SIL said to me, " I am surprised Bob married you. He only dated skinny girls." Wow, I still remember the feelings of hurt and being judge unfairly! We have been married for 30 years this year and are deeply in love and devoted to each other. She, on the other hand, just left her 4th husband. Not that I would have ever wished this for her but it does seem like a reminder to me to work on my inside just as much as my outside!
joy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #19  
On My Way

S/C/G: 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpal View Post
When someone at Costco actually held their daughter up to my cart to show her what was in it that was making me so fat
Unbelievable! I am astounded that someone actually did that. I am actually astounded by all of the stories in this thread. Maybe I am just unobservant, but I am not a small girl and I don't recall ever feeling eyes on me at the grocery store. I am aware of what I am ordering at a restraunt, but that is my own hang up.
AmyMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #20  

S/C/G: SW: 359 / CW: 350 / GW: 200

Height: 5ft 5ins

I am so very sorry that you had to go through that! It never fails to amaze me how horrible some people can actually be. It really get's my back up that they actually think they have some kind of right to judge a person as if they themselves are perfect. The example thay are setting for their children is disgusting and they should be ashamed, but people like that never are. Unfortunately they think they have every right to make fun of people without a care for anyone's feelings.
In the end though you came out on top! To have not allowed yourself to cave in and eat to comfort yourself you stood firm and overcame it. That is absolutely wonderful!!! You had the strength and courage to say no. Good on you!!! I know i would have almost certainly caved in, it's hard not to let something like that get to you. You proved to every person out there who's dealing with a weight problem that you can rise above it and move on. Again well done you!!!

Sam x x x
GirlInterrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #21  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

This kind of thing is so sad, so infuriating, and the reason why so many of us are afraid to do simple things like go to the gym for fear of ridicule. I'm so sorry you had to experience that, but try to take comfort in the fact that you won't be that size much longer!
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

Crap like this drove me over the edge. The constant hey big guy comments. Minding my own business at a club and some guy looking me straight in the face saying lose some weight. Going to the gym and having a guy from the hood making comments as I walked by trying to get in shape. Not to mention all the school slamming we all went through that was learned behavior. No I'm not bitter. Use this to fuel your workouts. Nobody can see the motivation behind your sweat.
tryhardforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #23  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryhardforlife View Post
Use this to fuel your workouts. Nobody can see the motivation behind your sweat.
That's really true. I don't know that I'd want to change if no one had ever made me feel humiliated.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 346/308/199

Height: 5'10"

Default Can't get my mind around it ...

I am amazed by the hypocrisy of our society. Everyone agrees it is not ok to judge someone based on their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or deformity, age, etc. Yet these parents have taught by example and are further fostering their children to judge perfect strangers based on size. They can think whatever they want when they look at you, but by their choosing to behave in that way shows their total lack of class.
Cherry in STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 385/339/140

Height: 5ft 7

I know where you are coming from I deal with that at work. I have skinny, bleach blond high maintenance , you know who I am talking about, women. They look at me and my co-worker, she is over weight as well, I heard one comment "Thank God we don't look like them " But I don't let it bother me as I keep thinking I am getting thinner and I feel good about myself, there must be something wrong in your life to make you so nasty, and you may be a trophy wife and your hubby might have something a bit better on the side!. I know I know I am bad. But anyway welcome to the gang and good job you didn't bury the emotions in food.
TracyB73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

I am so sorry you experienced that. There are some super judgmental people out there. They are hardly in a position to judge---both of you are shopping at the same store, and thus equals in that regard.

What I have learned is that some people are very superficial and their whole life is based on image and superficiality. Usually, when they are old and decrepit, then they realize that being superficial wasn't such a good thing.

Hate to say it, but maybe that family even encourages eating disorders. Probably.

You did nothing wrong. Don't let ignorant strangers get you down. They do not matter to you and have no impact on your happiness.

milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #27  
VSG'er 01/08/13

S/C/G: 339.95/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Repeat after me:

Sweetheart I might have a big *** but you have a small mind. At least I can attempt to change but you will always be exactly as you are right now.

Do you know what the worst part is... One of those family members will likely put on weight at some point for some reason, or end up with an eating disorder struggling to avoid it and then they won't even have family support. Just like so many they will enter the cycle of pain that one faces and no one to help at all.
Cuter w Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 350/332/200

Height: 5'7

(((hug)))
I'm so sorry... mean people suck. They must be a very unpleasant family of miserable people. Thank goodness you are YOU and not them.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

*HUGS* We totally know how you feel. I've been through something similar at times, the most shocking was last year I think when people were cruel to me at two stores in the same day! The second time I had, had it so I said something, which ended up embarrassing the girls in question who decided to run away. That is what these people do "whisper whisper run run" they never say anything to your face, which is disgusting to me. I mean why hide it and such? Just come up to me and we'll have a chat! I probably know more about nutrition than they do lol.

*HUGS* People suck, but not all peeps are bad. I try to keep that in mind as well as people who make fun of others are usually very unhappy people. They tend to hurt others to make themselves feel better. The funny thing was in my situation there was this girl who was actually quite large. She was the one who poke fun the most...which to me says that she was very insecure about herself and her two thinner friends. So, it makes me aware that everyone has issues...just some people are destructive towards others rather than themselves like I am!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Now there's a teaching moment.

But it's not teaching what this person thought.

It's teaching everyone who reads this anecdote how thoughtless, rude & cruel this particular person was.

And it's teaching how strong & persistent you are for persevering & putting yourself out there, in spite of the sting of that memory.

Who are these idiots, to judge people by what's in their grocery cart? Who? Who?
I completely agree. People are so judgmental and when it comes to weight, many people feeel it is the last "safe" prejudice. Often people will make negative comments, not the encouraging kind, but say that they have a right to do so because overweight people increase everyone's insurance premiums.

Not true. The insurance companies are making a fortune off of everybody, thin or fat alike.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote