Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #16  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitRycher View Post

I went back to drinking SODA!!! ARGH!!!

Why do I DO this to myself!? Why can't I finally decide that I'm worth the effort and that I deserve to be healthy!?

It's just so FRUSTRATING!!! *puts her head in her hands and sighs*
First of all, stop being so hard on yourself.
You did it, it can't be undone, move on.

Lot's of gals in here have found ways to incorporate alcohol into their plan.
I myself have soda, full leaded Pepsi's and the occasional Dr. Pepper.

The trick to it, like everything else is moderation and awareness. If you can't go cold turkey, start by getting smaller sizes... wean yourself down, fill the fountain cup all the way with ice, fill it 2/3 of the way with soda, etc. It sounds like you've done it before, you can certainly do it again. Make a rule that you can't crack a can if you haven't had a glass of water first.

I get one can or small fountain drink a day. Sometimes I don't want it. I treat it as a snack, never a beverage. The days of a soda as a given with a meal are over, the soda is a side dish (150 calories, that's more than a veggie side dish).

Let us know how the weigh in goes, and don't let it collapse you if it goes up. One day at a time for the rest of your life, every choice you are presented with is an opportunity to make a decision about what is good for you.
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #17  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Default Hang in there

I am new, and have 100lbs or more to lose, but lost 25 by giving up soda among other things. It is the hardest thing I have had to do. Those first weeks I would have caused physical violence to have a TB Pepsi from the fountain. Feeling confident about giving up soda is the reason I have kept it up and taken extra steps. I stopped buying it, and stopped ordering it, but I did occassionally steal a sip of my sisters to cheat without extra temptation. I told myself that I would not drink diet, as I just can't deal with the taste, so the only option is to not have it. Luckily, if you have only had a bit, you can pretty much stop without all the trauma of the first time. I know I had a headache and was tired but jittery all week, until my body adjusted. now, if I have a sip, (really, just a sip) it is great, but fairly intense, and is usually enough. I guess like everything else, it has to be one day at a time.
Good luck!!!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #18  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Misfit- why dont you start with small do-able changes? Why no start with cutting down on drinking soda? I find that for me what works best is when I take my time and get my mental going. IT has taken me a while because diet was my down fall Im just getting better with watching what I eat. Take it one day at a time YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

vdander-WELCOME!!!! good luck with your goals

Last edited by Matilda08; 11-05-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #19  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

Height: 5'4"

odonella: Yup! HUGE Ryche fan here... They're my favorite band!

And I just weighed myself... Took off all my clothes, including my glasses, and weighed in my undies... I actually didn't gain any weight.

Despite all the soda... In spite of the potato chips and Halloween candy...

I'M DOWN TO 213!!!

How's THAT for awesome!!!
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #20  
New Attitude!

S/C/G: 185.6/170.0/135-145

Height: 5'7"

Hi folks!

My name is Wendy and I'm new here and excited to be here!

A little about me... I'm a Weight Watchers lifetime member as of 1999 after ALWAYS struggling with my weight since puberty... held steady for about 4 years, and then craziness happened. Gained 60 pounds while trying to juggle Nursing School, 2 kids, and a cheating husband. Lost 30 trying to please the cheating husband ... then gained 25 of it back after the divorce in 2008... Well, that was 3 years ago and I've learned a lot.

PRIMARY LESSON>>>
I can't lose weight for anyone but me! Or make any positive life changes, for that matter. I always found myself saying "if I lose weight, my husband won't stray", "if I lose weight, my kids will have me around longer", or I'd be in between boyfriends after the divorce and lose weight so other people would find me attractive, then fall right back into my bad habits once I was with a guy.... Well, never again! A couple of weeks ago I said to my boyfriend (who I've been with for a year and is SO AMAZING AND SUPPORTIVE AND EVERYTHING I EVER DREAMED OF), "Baby, I'm gonna lose weight and get sexy for you!"... He looked at me like I had two heads and said "FIRST, you already are VERY SEXY! SECOND, if you want to lose weight, don't do it for me, the kids, God, the man on the moon... do it for you, or it's not worth it! Do it because it's what YOU want!"

Well, let me just tell you, that was what I needed to hear! I pulled up my bootstraps and went BACK to Weight Watchers which I always loved and worked well for me, and I'm so gung-ho and motivated and now that's where y'all come in! I've been gung-ho before and I need to keep that motivation!

Sorry for being so long-winded and I look forward to getting to know some of y'all on here and excited about the journey!

Wendy
WendyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #21  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

Vander -
WendyRN - chat all you want! Personally, I enjoyed getting to know you better! Hope to see you around.

Matilda - hang in there...I see that ticker going down, down, down!

Rycher - you may want to do a little research on what goes IN to soda pop (HFCS, Aspertame, artificial colors) and that might change your mind when you reach for one.

Well, chicks - October sucked eggs for me. I started P90X and my weight loss stopped dead. I should qualify that with the loss of 2% body fat and an inch around my waist. But c'mon...I have 30lbs to loose - I don't want to stop here!

I spent the first week of November pouting. I ate sweets and didn't count my calories. I was sick with bronchitis a few days and didn't exercise. Yesterday I decided to tackle a 7 day meal plan and get my butt back in gear. I also decided to go back to calorie cycling because that worked really well for me when I was in my 180's plateau.

Peace to you all this beautiful Sunday!
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #22  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

Height: 5'4"

Definitely something to look into... Thanks for the idea, Pixie. Good luck with smashing your plateau!

And I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop making excuses and just freaking well exercise. I'd like to be at least 4 pounds lighter by Christmas... That's doable, right? (Of course it is.) So... How to do that and make it a constant thing instead of just doing it once and saying forget it. *ponder*

Maybe write on my calendar that I need to do leg lifts every Monday, arm lifts every Wednesday and sit-ups every Friday... I do that with other things I need to remember, so why not that? It certainly couldn't hurt!
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #23  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Misfit: Congrats on not gaining any weight. I agree with Matilda, in just start with cutting back the soda. Try replacing it with soda water with lemon which still has fizz in it. I like your idea of writing down what your goals are and sticking to them. I think sticking to plan is a matter of just wanting it bad enough. I know it sounds simple, but I have never wanted it bad enough, and always found excuses, and now it has got to the point that i'm doing it for me and my health. I want to be alive to travel more, and enjoy my forties and beyond. Mindset I believe is the key!

Pixie: Best of luck on moving past that plateau. I know what geting sick is like, and moving beyond that as you did is so awesome!

vdander, congrats on giving up the soda! Amazing just all the sugar in regular soft drinks.

Welcome Wendy! I'm also pretty new on weight watchers and It really is working for me. I like your new attitude about doing it for you! Keep it up!

Matilda: Happy Belated birthday! We can get out of the 200's together! I've added weights and lots of cardio into my routine the last few weeks, and Im hoping that makes a big difference in inches and weight loss this week.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend! I was feeling so down yesterday cause I realized I couldn't do some of the things that I worked so hard to achieve last year at the gym. I stopped going for almost a year, and just started back up a few weeks ago. I know that I can never stop going because it is so easy to lose muscle and cardio once you just stop.
Well I'm ready to kick *** now! lol.

Last edited by Jojo381972; 11-07-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Hi Ladies!

Well I gained 2lbs this week, but TOM also showed up yesterday. On the bright side, my cravings for sugar have gone away completely. I have no desire to eat unless hungry. So I'm counting that as a victory! I've decided that for the moment, I'm only focusing on 10lb increments. It just gets to be too much otherwise.

Welcome to all the newbies!

Pixie-a 2% loss in body fat % that's awesome!!! You've put on muscle and burned fat that's a big step forward. I'd say changing your composition trumps the number on the scale.

Have a good week ladies and keep fighting the good fight!
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #25  

Hi everyone! Just turned 33 a couple of weeks ago + keep telling myself to get slim sooner then later so I can enjoy my 30's better! I'm doing nothing currently and am paying for it BIG TIME! Have gained 5-7 lbs and should change my ticker
I have one more week of theroy class + have a final + an abundance of homework to turn in, hence the stress eating. I have NO excuses starting next Monday! I will try + post everyday + let ya'll know that I'm OP (caloring counting) and getting in @ least 1 hour of cardio. Good luck this week!
nurse2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Hi everyone!
I'm Amber. I'm 32, married, mom of a 10yr old girl and 7 yr old boy; diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in April of 2010 and high BP last month (october 18). I cannot remember ever being a normal weight. The only photo I have of myself where I feel I look normal is from when I was 4 years old. I am an emotional/stress eater.
I am calorie counting but look very hard at what I eat from a nutritional standpoint. I use a GoWear Fit (same people who make bodybuggs) to track what I burn and expend. I also use fatsecret as a backup for weight and food tracking, if I need to. I read and take tips from every single diet out there because I do realize that this is a lifestyle and I need all of the help I can get! Every day is a struggle for me to make myself get up and work out (first few minutes is difficult for me to get going) and eat right. I not only track my calorie intake but also how a food makes me feel, and that definitely makes a difference in my choices. The best tip I can give all of you is one that my doctor gave me: if you ever have the choice between fat free and sugar free, go with the sugar free items.
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #27  
Just Breathe

S/C/G: 293/279/Healthy

Height: 5'6

Amber~ It seems that you and I share about the same background and history. Congrats on your success. I was told the exact same thing about Fat Free vs. Sugar Free. That's usually the route I go if I want something sweet, I go SF. Today I bought a pint of FF Orange Sherbert only because SF was not available. That is a HUGE weakness of mine. But I'm learning moderation and so far so good. I wish you well with your continued success.

and to all!
MsRatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #28  

I went off plan starting Friday night. All 4 kids weren't home, a rarity. Although my choices of eating weren't as rigid as my week I didn't go overboard either. Yesterday was a gorgeous day and I should have done my shopping, today is icky cold & raining. It's nice to see a green lawn & field again but it's kept me from doing errands & walking the dogs today. I accidently found the caramels and ate 2 of them. (better than the gallon of ice cream) My teens have a friend over so I'll encourage them to eat the bad foods.
Ninacali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #29  
Mama on a Mission

Height: 5'6

Well I am happy for myself this weekend. Went over to a family members house and didn't eat any of the unhealthy snacks and appetizers that they had out. This is what I thought would be impossible for me but I did it. And I managed to work out this week 5 days in a row. Taking a day off tomorrow but still may just go for a walk or something less strenuous than running. But I have my 10k on Saturday and am excited/nervous for it since I have never done a formal race before. I was supposed to run with a friend but he can't now.

But back to what Wendy said, it doesn't matter that I am running alone...I started trying to get healthy and running three days a week back in August for myself and this race will kind of be a celebration for me that I have come this far on my own, for myself and no one else. I have 6.5 pounds to meet my mini goal of 140 but really want to be 135 by the end of the year. Haven't been that weight since I graduated high school...more than 12 years ago!

Last edited by Mitza24; 11-07-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Mitza24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #30  
New Attitude!

S/C/G: 185.6/170.0/135-145

Height: 5'7"

Smile

PIXIE: Thanks so much! I have purchased the p90x, but the extent of my experience with it is watching my son (17 yrs old) use it. LOL... Haven't been brave enough yet, but I'm building up my exercise tolerance more and more everyday so I plan to get moving with that soon, maybe after the first of the year if all goes as planned. JUST REMEMBER that lean muscle = higher metabolism, which is why those darn men lose weight faster than us! So, while you might not be seeing weight changes right now, you are seeing OBVIOUS signs of increased lean muscle mass which means you will come BUSTING out of that plateau with a vengeance in no time! Don't get discouraged! Keep it up! That's awesome!

NURSE2B: Girlfriend, a few pounds is nothing to frown about... as you've probably noticed around you, most of us GAIN MAJOR weight in nursing school... as I said above, that's where I gained 60lbs and got to my highest weight ever. Tomorrow is a brand new day! YOU CAN DO IT!
WendyRN is offline   Reply With Quote