Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #76  
Living the Life

Did a 3 mile jog today. My friend picked up her pace a little today. Whoo, I was impressed to see her push.

Though I did talk myself out of going out again to do a little speed for me. Boo. My legs need some stretching though. I think those lunges did a bigger number on them then I thought yesterday.

I like the rain too. A light rain is nice if you are hot. I ran a half marathon once where it just rained and it was cold--that wasn't too great, but I did run my fastest time. Ha.

As for training plans, I've only followed one for marathons (and I just used it for distances...I didn't follow all those tempo this, speed that runs). I usually just kind of wing it the rest of the time. I am now getting more into the different training runs, tempo, speed, hill and etc. I never bothered much with them before--I pretty much just went out and ran whatever distance in a comfortable pace. But I want a faster pace now and I figure it's worth a try.
Cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #77  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

I'm ill with a stomach bug so having to take a few days off and I'm so sad . I really miss it already! I hope I won't lose too much fitness due to this break.
PaintedButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #78  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Can you guys please confirm for me that running does not make you tired? That there is a difference between physical exertion for a bit and tired?

I keep telling myself I can't run if I have to work a late shift because I am afraid of using up al my energy. Which I know to be BS. But I have this silly fear.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #79  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

philana - Most people say that they get more energy after working out (which is why some suggest working out in the morning)
but every person is different. I don't notice a energy spike or being tired after I work out, even when I do an hour and a half of cardio at the gym. But I think you can run if you have to work a late shift, and you should! If you don't usually come home from a run and wanna go to bed because you're so drained then you would be fine

I was hoping (yet again) to try to run the lake, but it's poooouring rain. It's so ugly outside, and that means the path will be muddy. I used to do it all the time when it was raining, and get my shirt all dirty on the back from kickin up mud, but I don't feel like slipping around today. Plus I have this stupid HUGE midterm on tuesday that I'm desperately trying to study for (that's me whining). But, I did up my speed on the treadmill this week. I was running 5.5 for 20 mintues, so I did 5.5 for 5 minutes, then 6.0 for 15 minutes. Next week I'll try to not start with the 5.5 and just do 6.0 and maybe get to 18-20 mintues
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #80  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I went even further yesterday on a nice run and I was able to go faster this time around too! 3.75 miles! Can't wait to get up to 5miles and then eventually a 10k.

I got to the gym early this morning and ran 1.25 miles on the treadmill before the Zumba class. I then took a belly dancing class after...so to say that I'm wiped is an understatement! I'm still sore from yesterday and slightly sore from my heavy lifting on Wednesday...time to lay down a little while and give my body a rest!

philana - I always feel energized after a workout. When I used to go running last year in the middle of the workday, I wouldn't have that afternoon fatigue that everyone else had

torito - congratulations and good luck with your midterm!

Last edited by sontaikle; 02-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 260/236/145

Paintedbutterfly - Sorry to hear your sick. Get well soon and don't stress about your workouts, concentrate on getting well.

Philana - I find running gives me more energy during the day, but it also makes me sleep better. Dunno if that helps

It was sunny today! yay. So good to feel the sun on my back as i'm running, can't wait for spring to arrive officially
Ali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #82  
say what?

Took your advice and went running. It's raining cats and dogs and it's dark, so I took the dog for a short run in the park. 1.9miles in 18mins. I've not run this fast yet, lol. Was 9.5min/mile.

Now I have 2 hours before I have to bike to work for a 4hour shift. Hope I don't collapse in an hour. LOL.

Update: At work now, and not collapsing. So that's good. I fell pretty wide awake actually. I do feel a bit hungry. LOL.

Last edited by philana; 02-18-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 215/141.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Philana - I will feel sleepy for a few hours after my runs sometimes but overall I think that I do have more energy. I'm glad that running before work turned out well for you!

Thanks for the advice about my back last week you guys! I'm happy to say that I didn't experience any discomfort after my run on Friday! I'm thinking it may have been because I was dehydrated. My run tomorrow might be interesting though since I spent the whole weekend eating terribly and drinking! Oh well mardi gras was totally worth it!
RebaRamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #84  
say what?

Reba: That sounds about the way I expect/dread my run tomorrow to be. Have so much junk in my body from my bad weekend+aftermath. LOL.

--
I notice that my legs feel stronger in everyday things since I started running. At work or at parties when standing for long hours or walking around a lot - it just goes so easy. It makes me feel way more 'durable' overall. Like I can take about anything. Do any of you know what I am talking about?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #85  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I went running again today. I have off so it was very easy. I made a nice protein shake afterward and felt great

I only ran 3.1 miles this time around (so a 5K) but I ran to a playground and did some strength training and then ran back. The run back was very hard!

Philana - I've only just started recently but I too feel stronger. I'm no longer sore for days afterward and I do not mind standing.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 260/236/145

Just ran my 5km. Really pushed today after having a pretty lazy week last week. eeeek! 34min! which means i've shaved a total of 6 mins off my original time 3 weeks ago! yay! Still not manageing to run up that darn hill but that means my running pace has increased. So thrilled with this! Once I get that hill I should be laughing my way to a 30min circuit. Can't wait!
Ali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #87  
say what?

Awesome Ali! I admire you, for taking on a 5k route with a hill. LOL.

I haven't gone running yet. I am eating only 500calories today to undo all the damage from carnival and I am gonna eat clean for a day first before I run. I think my run wil feel better then. I wanna go for a 35min 5k also. My race is in 2.5 weeks already!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #88  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

Ah I've been resting due to illness for less than a week. I'm now better but finding it hard to get out there again :| I think part of it is because I've moved house too and this probably sounds stupid but I'm nervous about running where people can see me... and I had to give up my dog because the garden here is too small and I just don't feel like going without her
I'm determined to go do day 3 of week 4 C25K today... (although I was determined to do that yesterday too and it didn't happen :|) and I'm hoping by saying so here it'll give me that push to actually do it.

Last edited by PaintedButterfly; 02-22-2012 at 08:14 AM.
PaintedButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #89  
say what?

Painted, that is so hard. Sorry to hear about your dog. But, I would love to hear how your run went later on! You can tell me wether people were actually lookign at you or if you worried over nothing .

--
I went on my run but after half a mile turned back. It's the first time I turned back. I didn't quit because I felt bad. I just was dumb. The dog was soooo begging to go with me even though I knew I didn't want to and was gonna do a long route that would require her to stay leashed. And when she is leashed I have to constantly keep her on track or I am gonna trip over her. So after half a mile I just was fed up with it.

I LOVE running with her, but not always. So next time I am not gonna listen to her begging and whining and just leave her home when I don't really wanna take her.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 215/141.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Paintedbutterfly - I refuse to run in my neighborhood where all the cars will drive past me. Even though there is a nice trail and sidewalks.. instead I drive to a park with jogging trails. There are people there but I don't have people driving past me as much which for some reason really bothers me I guess. So it doesn't sound silly to me! And I'm so sorry about your dog! That must be really hard

Philana - sorry you had to turn back! I guess you learned your lesson for next time!
RebaRamBam is offline   Reply With Quote