Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #136  
.::Loren::.

S/C/G: 184/174.5/135

Height: 5'

Thanks, Hummus. I actually don't feel anything while wearing the flip flops. I was perfectly fine until I ran last Wednesday after wearing the flip flops.

Whats weird is, I wore Uggs ALL winter and taught in them. They must support mu ankle more than the flipflops.
Lnm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #137  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Hey everyone! I did my 2.5 mile run yesterday in 28:46, and in August 2011 I did it in 32:12 so it's great to be beating myself by 4 minutes!! My friend is still training with me, she totally reminds me of myself when I first started so it's nice to be there to encourage her. Running with the dog was much better this time around since we only came across 1 biker and one other runner. The puddles and mud was MUCH better too, so I didn't have to stop and start as much.

I went swimming today for 30 minutes as cross training and it was great! My arms really hurt which was great since running obviously really gets to my legs. I think I'm going to get a membership since my training buddy has too and it's good cross training we can do together. She said she's really enjoying our training together, and I am too so it's good.

philana - Yeah, it can get a bit annoying to have to stop for her. But I just love her bounding around next to me! I also run with a friend, and I think when she sees the pup running towards her she feels like she should keep up! So it's good motivation, but completely agree it can be a pain!
The training plans are great, sounds like you're doing an intermediate one? I'm sticking with novice for the time being, I enjoy it! And don't worry about the bad run, that happens to me sometimes too. Your body just refuses to co-operate!

Turbo - Now that I'm training for a 10k, it's crazy to think you and philana are doing that during training!! Good luck, have fun with it!

Hummus - Good luck with your application! Yeah, it's completely normal to run alternated with walking! It helped me train up to consistent running.

Lnm - I damaged the arch on my left foot once when I wasn't wearing correct shoes. It took me almost 2 weeks to recover, and I had to wear supportive shoes all the time (even in the house) or else it would hurt to walk. Perhaps you should do this too while it heals, you may have just run on it awkwardly (I damaged mine by coming to a sudden stop - seems weird but it really damaged it!) so I would avoid flip flops for a while. Hope you feel better!

aka - Hey! Good to see you're still running, and achieving great times too! Yeah, fitocracy is going to be addictive again now I'm running - I love recording my times!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #138  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riestrella View Post

philana - [....]
The training plans are great, sounds like you're doing an intermediate one? I'm sticking with novice for the time being, I enjoy it! And don't worry about the bad run, that happens to me sometimes too. Your body just refuses to co-operate!
I am doing week 1 of the intermediate plan for the 2nd time, and I'll probably do week 1 again next week. LOL. I am just a beginner so I need something ti get me running few days a week. And when I feel up to it I'll start the plan. But I don't mind if I take half a year to complete it. I could already run 15k, it's more working on the speed and technique.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #139  

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll stick with flats for a while. Maybe I'll try that run again tonight.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #140  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

hey runners! so many post!

Lnm : I got hurt to my inner ankle once too, the right one (I think it's because of the shoes I was wearing, they were not giving me enough stability). You said you had new shoes. Is it shoes someone help you pick? Because in the running room store where I went, they made me walk and run to see exactly what I needed. Treat this ankle carefully, cause it took me MONTHS to get mine better Because my right ankle was hurting, I was coping with my left leg, which hurt my left hip. Now my ankle is fine, but I still got hip pain from time to time.

hummus : a tempo run is a type of run included in most training program to increase your strenght & endurence You are supposed to run it at a faster pace than your usual moderate run, to really get you out of your comfort zone. Awesome on knocking another 20 seconds off of your time!

aka : hi! welcome back on the thread!

Riestrella : Woah! 4 minutes better than in August! That's awesome! Reading your post makes me realize I should realy get back to crosstraining too. On my program, it's always written ''Day OFF or XT''... I've been opting for the OFF lately LOL

philana : it's better to re-do a week a second time than going to another week without being really ready. that's wise!

Hey runners!

We had a wonderful HOT week here for the season.. hitting 20-25 celsius degrees since monday! Yesterday I went to try out the trails behind my house that I wasn't able to run in last winter because of the snow and the mud... I'm so FREAKIN GLAD, they're almost all dry except for a couple of spot!

So last night I went running in trails (it was maybe 60% trail, 40% road to actually get to the trail) and it was a wonderful run. You know, the ones you just feel good about? I met just a few people, the sun was hot, shinning through the trees, next by the river... man, that was almost a poetic moment (the poetic feeling got cut when I realized I was sweating like a pig LOL)

So it was a wonderful 6k yesterday, and I'm planning to do my long run sunday. I might go for a light run on friday so I won't be 4 days without running (and I honestly can't wait to go back on the trail, I kinda end up in a park and I was a bit lost there.. I need to find out where to go after this point lol)

Some of you seems to be on fitocracy. Are your username here the same as on there? I'm a Fitocrats too, Turbomammoth over there aswell
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #141  
say what?

Turbo: trainrunning must be so awesome. I've done it for small parts when I was doing c25k, but there's no trail anywhere near where I live now. I remember it was much nicer on my knees and technique to be on different surface. Oh, and I am frigging jealous of the wether. Though no complaints, we hit about 16C here the last few days, also very nice!

Just did my first run ever on the treadmill. I did not really like it. The pace it said I was at did not match with the pace it felt like to me. Took 20mins to run 2,5k. Even though I upped the pace higher than what my normal pace is.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #142  

I've been running with these shoes for over a month now. I got fitted for shoes specifically last year, wore those out, and ordered the new version of the old shoes, if that makes sense. I got Saucony Pro guide 3 last year, and got the 4 this year.

I'm going to go try this run again, then take a break until Saturday. Legs are feeling pretty good today.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #143  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

After 2 runs and 1 swim my legs are starting to feel the burn! So I rearranged my long run for Sunday (when it's meant to be) instead of today to give them a rest. So today I might try and do some strength training, probably mostly core work and doing some deep stretching.

Someone at work yesterday said that I looked really skinny and she hadn't really noticed before until she took a good look at me at work! It was really nice, and it was such a big ego boost, so that was great!

philana - As a beginner how are you finding the intermediate programme? I started on the Novice training and I'm doing it again this time since the intermediate one looked too complicated! And I HATE treadmills. I just cannot do it, they're so boring and they're not accurate. Give me running outside any day!

Turbo - I didn't really do cross training with my first 10k, but this time since I have a friend who can drive me to a pool I'm really dedicated to swimming as well. I think it's really going to help in the long run! I'm on fitocracy too, my name is the same there also. I love those kind of runs, I have one trail that I go on next to the canal and I love it. I really hate running by roads.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #144  

philana : I also HATE threadmill! It just feels weird. And I get so much sweaty when I'm inside LOL And don't be jealous anymore for the weather, we had a really out of the blue hot week, but we went down to season normal this morning and for the trails, I do agree that the change of surface is so nice! I felt less sore in the hip and knee areas after the trail run than the pave run.

Lnm : let us know how your ankle is feeling after your run

riestrella : I'm now following you on fitocracy! it's gonna be nice having someone logging running stuff, all the people that I follow don't run ahah. And so nice about your coworker noticing your figure! We have to the the weight loss process for us, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying people noticing it, no?

hey runners!

My next run was only plan next sunday, but the sun is so beautiful outside that I think I'm gonna go running tonight just for fun

It's nice being at a point when you don't HAVE to kick yourself everytime to go for a run, but you just can't wait to go... (I'm saying that now, but on sunday I'll probably whine for 2 hours before getting ready to go out and run my 11k LOL)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #145  
say what?

Riestrella: What is deep stretching? I need to start stretching but I just am lazy and haven't needed it really so far. Maybe it would improve my pace if I did, I don't know. Awesome on the compliment!
The intermediate is hard, but I want to push myself some. I've basically not really followed it perfectly yet, so I'll let you know in a week or 2! I received my weight training book the other day and also finally found a core routine that isn't too complicated. I have really poor motorskills and when I do core I get the added bonus of shaking like something aweful. My core is SO crappy!

Turbo: I feel you on the weather and wanting to go out! I just did the same, even though it was suppose to be a rest day!

So for 3 days now I am trying to burn 1000 calories a day through excercise, did first day 60min skate, 50min run. Yesterday 50min swimming laps and 30min crosstrainer, 20min run. Today I am quite busy so I just did a 7k run that supposedly burned between 550-700 calories. (My HRM says 700, but I just don't see how I can burn 700 calories in 50minutes and not feel like I am dying. LOL)

I am kind of constantly postphoning the tempo-run because it scares me. I also am suppose to eventually start doing pace-runs. But I just have to read a bit more about it and feel confident I know what I ought to do and why I do it in such a way. Uhg. I feel like I am not doing things properly and it bothers me. I am weird like that sometimes. LOL.

Last edited by philana; 03-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #146  

Turbo - The run both Thursday and saturday went well, I just made sure to ice afterwards.

However, I'm out of commission for a bit now. I was leaving the movies last night and rolled my ankle pretty badly. The top of my foot hurts pretty badly and is a bit swollen.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #147  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

I got back into running finally!
I'm on week 7 now of couch to 5K which is 25 mins.. but the other day I went for my first 25 minute run, got lost, ran in completely the wrong direction down a cycle path you can only get off at certain far inbetween points (and I ran past all of them) and in the end it turned into a 2 hour run! Admittedly I didn't run ALL of that.. but I must have run at least an hour total.. so I'm feeling pretty good
PaintedButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #148  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Hey runners!

I did my long run on Sunday, 3 miles and I beat last years time by 5 whole minutes! I also think I could have done it faster because the canal was busy with cyclists, walkers, runners - the lot. I hate weekend runs for that sometimes! My friend said that there was a woman on a bike ringing her bell over and over but I had music on so I couldn't hear, hah! Serves her right biking on MY canal ;p.

Turbo - Yay, more fitocracy friends! I'll follow you in return. Yeah, compliments are amazing. I'm proud of my progress but it's when other people notice it that I feel REALLY proud! Haha, I know how that goes about the complaining!

philana - Honestly I just stretch and hold each position for about 20-30 seconds. I do what I've picked up over the years from classes and workout videos. There are a few yoga poses that are good, I think one is called the cobra, that's pretty sweet. It is hard finding a good core workout, what sort of things does it have you do?
Don't worry about sticking to the programme 100%. I remember making my own half marathon training programme when I started it, I didn't like the idea of sprinting for a short time then stopping (mainly because I'll look stupid!). I just run how I want to and I enjoy that freedom. Don't feel like if you're not doing it by the book you're not doing it well at all, find what works with you and adapt it into your running style.

PaintedButterfly - Well done! I can't get lost where I run, it's just a straight path!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #149  

paintedbutterfly : welcome back!

Lnm : I'm happy to know your ankle was okay after your run!

Riestrella : awesome on doing better on your time!! and I do agree with you, I hate it when MY trails get full of people on them! LOL

philana : tempo run ARE scary lol getting off of your comfort zone stressed me out!

Hey runners!

I wasn't able to do my long run yesterday because we had this surprised family thingy with the in-laws (with the grandma I don't like... I feel I lost my sunday). It was supposed to be a 11k and I always have trouble doing the long run during the week, tired after my day of work.

I still went to try it out, repeting to me that I'll just stick to a 8k if I feel horrible. But I really did NOT wanted to have to repeat my week of training.

I went before dinner and... I felt good!! the cardio was following and everything (had a little pain in the knees but it was manageble). The only annoying thing was that it was SUPER windy : you know when you have to push to go through the wind? Well, still made it and went through the psychological barrier of the 10k that I never broke. yay! lol

Also, I don't know what IS WRONG WITH THE WEATHER here. Last week, we had a really surprising heath wave bringing us to 25 C degrees, running in t shirt and short, good times. Today, it was -3 C degrees, windy as *ell and snowy. It is so frustrating, I was enjoying a lot running in short
Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 203/199/140

Height: 5' 6"

Hey ladies! I'm kind of a lurker here at 3FC and new to this lovely thread, but I have a running-related question and I thought here would be a good place to get some advice!

So I'm currently working on C25K... I started awhile ago, got through the first few weeks pretty easily, fell of the wagon. I got back on by running week 3 a couple of times. I ran week 4 on Saturday (I go according to the app I have-- week 4 is a warm up, 3 min run-walk-5 min run-walk-3 min-walk-5 min-cool down). And on Saturday, it went great! I did it without a problem and felt great afterwards. I rested on Sunday (well, I did different cardio) and then went to do the week 5 run again today, and less than halfway through was sidelined with terrible terrible shin splints! I had literally no pain at all on Saturday, so I have no idea what happened today! Have any of you had trouble with shin splints, or have a good remedy for them? I'm really enjoying C25K and I'd like to continue, I just hate these shin splints and don't want to do anything to potentially injure myself!

Thanks for your help ladies! This thread is really inspiring for a newbie runner like me
4theloveof is offline   Reply With Quote