Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I did my 5 mile run yesterday, and it went great. WAY better than my 4 mile run, funnily enough. It's because the 4 mile run was on the treadmill, I bet. The treadmill kicks my butt but running outside doesn't (even if I run at the same speed - no clue how that works). The only issue was when I got close to my turn around point, I realized I was really thirsty. Do any of you use water belts? How do they work out for you? I think a camel pack type thing would annoy me because it would bounce around, and I don't need tons of water on a run. One bottle would be fine, but I hate carrying things. I don't bring my phone or anything with me.

I've read that weight training is great for runners. It's also great for weight loss, because it can help tone you up in places that don't get worked out as hard when you run. I've never really had issues with my legs being more sore from weight training than running. What DOES sometimes hurt is my abs, especially if I do a long run. I just added a new abs exercise this week and I was really sore yesterday. But it was a nice kind of sore.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #62  
To the Future

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Hey..I'm in.
aka8941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #63  
.::Loren::.

S/C/G: 184/174.5/135

Height: 5'

I've done the c25k program before, last year. It went really well, but I fell off the wagon.

I'm back on the wagon, I hopped on a few weeks ago, but got bronchitis. It's crazy hard to run with bronchitis. So I started over this week and was so happy plodding along at my 5.2 yesterday and then mr. 8.8 shows up, lol! Maybe I'll get there someday!
Lnm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 215/141.4/140

Hey guys! I have a question. I've been feeling really sick at the end of my runs this week. It goes away after about 10 minutes but my lower back aches and just feel kinda terrible. I've been running much earlier than i'm used to this week so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'm doing a 5k in a few weeks at 7am so I'd like to try and figure out what I need to do to prevent this. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!
RebaRamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #65  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalAstronaut View Post
I did my 5 mile run yesterday, and it went great. WAY better than my 4 mile run, funnily enough. It's because the 4 mile run was on the treadmill, I bet. The treadmill kicks my butt but running outside doesn't (even if I run at the same speed - no clue how that works). The only issue was when I got close to my turn around point, I realized I was really thirsty. Do any of you use water belts? How do they work out for you? I think a camel pack type thing would annoy me because it would bounce around, and I don't need tons of water on a run. One bottle would be fine, but I hate carrying things. I don't bring my phone or anything with me.
I tried the belt thingy and I did not like it. it was really bouncy on my hips. I received a camelback for my birthday and when you adjust the straps less, it was less bouncy than I though it would be. In the end, I prefered a little bouncing in my back than huge shake your bom bom style on my hips LOL

RebaRamBam : for the back thingy, I suggest streching after your run, but also before... that's the easy advice here, but it truly might help. For the sickness, was it nauseous or something like that? You could have been dehydrated or something like that
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #66  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Great reading you all again. I've not been running because of the rains o I sorta don't wanna post here to admit it. But there you have it. I'm a whimp. Snow is fine. Rain is me being a dramaqueen.

So, whatever happens.. tomorrow I am gonna go on a 3.7mile run. I am. Promise.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #67  
Living the Life

Did weights today, run day tomorrow.

MusicalAstro-I have one of those water bottle belts and I agree with TurboM, they can be annoying and bounce around on your hips. I only used them for long runs (15 +) when I couldn't stash a water bottle on my route. I mean, I dealt with them, and they find a spot after a while, but they are not my favorite.
I've only ever hiked with camelbacks, so I couldn't comment on running with them.

My husband did find me this bottle at Walmart for 2 bucks, and I love it. It has a hole through the middle and it's actually fits just right to carry.Attachment 41574

Last edited by Cheshirecat; 05-13-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #68  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Wanted to run today but today was rotten out (when it was forecast to be nice!! ). It's a good thing though, I had my heavy weight training tonight followed by a bellydancing class. It would have been too much to run otherwise

philana - this thread keeps me accountable too

RebaRamBam - I feel really sick at the end of any exercise if I don't fuel my body beforehand. Are you eating/drinking enough before your runs? Sometimes a protein shake before some heavy exercise helps me get through it without feeling sick.

Cheshirecat - I want to find that now! I've been wondering what I could do when I start running longer
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #69  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

MusicalAstronaut I have the camel back and I forgot it was there after a while. It didn't really bounce like you'd think it would. I ran for 6 months with it. I did purchase the water belt too but haven't tried it.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 260/236/145

Height: 5'4"

So yesterday I blasted all my other timings out the water with a 35.5min 5k. My I'm waiting for my progress to slow but it just seems to be getting better and better. Might reach my 30min target sooner then I thought. Really think the hamstring exercises are working for me as i'm getting stronger on the uphills, though there's still one incline I can't quite pull myself up in a run. Working on that.

I've seen those running water bottles before and was quite tempted but I find just a couple of slim 500ml bottles does the trick and can add an upper body exercise element though it does get annoying when you take your first sip and they start sloshing about as you run. Really thinking of treating myself to a camelpak once i've completed the 30min 5k and go on to longer runs.
Ali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 135/124/110

Height: 5'1"

Musical Astronaut- Yeah, I never run on a treadmill, only outside. It's sooo much harder for me on a treadmill and so boring!

Philana- I never go in the rain either! I figure if the weather is crappy I will not really enjoy myself and that is the whole point so why bother. That's why I haven't been on a run since Sunday...

About to head out for my long run of the week, I think it will be about 7.5.
Tiny Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

I think I'll try that water bottle from Walmart first. Since its the cheapest if I don't like it, no big loss. :P If I don't like that, I think I'll try the camel back. Thanks for the input everyone!
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #73  

Hey all! So nice to hear about so many runners!

I went for a run last night with a co-worker. She's just runnign a bit this week to save her legs for next monday (she's doing a half marathon in hampton beach) and only ran a slow 4k. I was feeling good and continued for another 2.4k after she quit me, and try to increase my pace... it was a great exercice to dose my pace along the run.

I think that next sunday for the race I'll start slowly and increase along the course.

So many people here seems to dislike running in the rain! A light rain don't bother me, I would actually say that those are my favorite runs
Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #74  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I'm still focussed on distance instead of pace. I am figuring pace will come as my stamina improves - and I just did my farthest run yet!

3.7miles in 43mins. I am SO excited. I could have done 4miles I think. But because I hadn't run further than 1mile only 2,5 weeks ago I am really having to hold myself back. Hihi. I think if I do this same route that I found several times and try to increase speed that be the best workout for my 5k in a few weeks. My 5k will be a little less than this route, so if I add speed to this route I can do my 5k faster even because it's shorter. This was just a really nice route that I wanna keep doing. Yay!

Edit for a few questions: I see all these training plans that people follow in which they have 'long' and 'short' runs with different focus. I just couldn't be bothered to even put on my runnning stuff for just a 2mile run. Do you follow a plan, and when did you start following it? Maybe it's something I should start with for training beyond the 4miles? So 3miles can be my short runs and build up from there?

Last edited by philana; 02-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by philana View Post

Edit for a few questions: I see all these training plans that people follow in which they have 'long' and 'short' runs with different focus. I just couldn't be bothered to even put on my runnning stuff for just a 2mile run. Do you follow a plan, and when did you start following it? Maybe it's something I should start with for training beyond the 4miles? So 3miles can be my short runs and build up from there?
As for training plan, I do not follow one strictly plan (I tried to follow one but failed around Christmas time when I wasnt able to run as much as I wanted) but I do follow a certain pattern.

I run about 3-4 times a week. From monday to friday, I will run 2 or 3 times 6k (3.7 miles) and I try to run at least once at a faster pace than usual (faster about 45sec of my average pace). I was doing hills once a week before (just going up and doing a hill to build muscles legs) but I kinda failed to do them lately... The others times of monday-friday I was running the 6k at my usual pace and I was doing my long run (8 to 10k) on the sundays (taking the next monday off).