Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #46  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

Morning! Humpday. Yay!

Okay, my two cents real quick then it's off to class.

Remember- It's cool. I suppose a sentence on this online gig can be a little misleading since we all have no idea who one another is. I actually am I chapter president for National Organization for Women and give talks on "Loving Your Body" and I also write for a newspaper and do an article about eating disorders every October for Love Your Body Month. Glad you're looking out for people though For proteins: I love Morning Star and Boca Soy and Veggie meatless meat! Lots of protein and very low cal! I am a huge fan of Mexican food, and at home, I can make a relatively healthy, low fat, taco salad using this, black beans, fat free sour cream, etc., etc. I eat spinach, nuts, oatmeal (hmmmm), eggs, beans, and lentils to name a few of my protein sources. And actually, being a student and poor, I have found that soup is one of the cheapest, healthiest things to make. I usually make black bean, lentil or vegetable soup once or twice a month in a huge pot and eat off of it for a week. Thanks for looking out for a sista.

Freddy-being that I start my PhD work next August, I am going to jump in on this one. Actually, the English term doctor was used for a scholar before it was used for a physician "Meaning of "holder of highest degree in university" is first found c.1375; that of "medical professional" dates from 1377, though this was not common till late 16c."<---from online etymology dictionary. I know after 11 years of universities, research, lectures, papers, and not too mention the tens of thousands of dollars I will owe and interest I have accrued... be damn sure I'm Dr. Carter.

Carly- No worries Glad to be a fellow newbie with ya.

Little long winded for the morning, but hey. Happy Wednesday, I'm going to go bounce around on me balance ball for a minute or two

Last edited by ollie27; 09-26-2007 at 09:00 AM.
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 202/190/155

Height: 5'6.5"

Remember & Freddy: I actually overheard someone telling her friends she had her "doctorate" and then when they asked her in what, she said "Law - Juris Doctor." I thought that was the lamest, most pretentious thing I'd heard in a while, although I guess technically it's true. I just think 3 years of law school isn't comparable to 7 years of PhD or 4 years of med school. I do look forward to being allowed to call myself "Esquire," though.

I am feeling pretty discouraged this morning. I stayed up too late last night and had sushi at midnight (delish, but not on the plan). I don't have time this week to screw around and yet I've been doing it anyway. So, I didn't make it to the gym early this morning, which means I'll have to fight the crowds later on. Errrr.

Ollie: Do you have any great vegetarian soup recipes to share??? One of the few things I'm looking forward to about cold weather coming on is the excuse to make great big pots of soup to have with a hunk of crusty bread. It's making me hungry just thinking of it.

Carly: Welcome!

Alliesmom: I love the mud run avatar - are there other pics of the muddiness elsewhere?

Misschris: Way to go with the spam carving!
eastcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 AM   #48  

Height: 5'9"

Okay, so last night I ate TWO skinny cow ice cream cones for a total of 300 calories. Why? I don't know whey. I had the calories for ONE treat, not two. But, while my boyfriend was walking the dog I snuck it in. I cannot trust myself.

So, I went to the gym and I climbed the stair climber and I burned it off. I'm still a little disappointed in myself because it lacked anything nutrtional, but at least I'm burned it off.

Tonight I'm going to the gym to meet with a trainer. He's giving me a personalized work-out sheet. That will be nice. If I get done with him in time I'm going to yoga. Afterwards I'm doing my 5K training, weights and some swimming.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

As for the pompus thing that is the same question my roommate (who is also a law student) asked. My rational for it being ok is the fact that I will have 8 years of post high school is similar to a lot of other people who have academic doctorics. But I definently see where that comes from. I don’t think I would every professionally call myself a doctor but it would be fun jokingly around my family/friends. I don’t know I just thought it was interesting.

I’m hoping for a better day today since yesterday was a bad day. It’s much cooler today so hopefully that will help with the insane heat in the school.

Freddy – that costume is adorable. I’m too self conscious to wear it but go for it girl. I’m actually trying to think of a costume … suggestions?

Cam – good job on not cheat and no offense was taken. It’s good to be concerned about eachoter

Lissa – still one piece of cake is god self restraint. Good job.

Ollie – I haven’t tried the boca products yet maybe next time I go to the store … and I agree if you want to post some soup recipes I want to try I love soup.

Amberelise – It happens, we all do it. Good job on getting to the gym and working part of it off
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 188/184/140

Height: 5'7"

Pics are coming I promise!! I may be able to do it today at work. I was going to post them on my blog last night but I had a bit of a sad evening.

I went to martial arts and received my Purple belt () BUT found out that the karate school is closing down because they weren't making enough money

Hopefully I'll be able to change to a local TaeKwondo school who have said we can keep our belt ranks. At the moment though they only run classes Mondays and Wednesdays, which are my belly dancing nights.

I spent my evening after karate class helping the sensei clear up the room. Very sad
Augustchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 188/184/140

Height: 5'7"

Ok I have got my wench pics on my blog!!

I am liking the bodice a lot ... I think all women should wear them everyday! It holds everything in and supports your cleavage better than a bra
Augustchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #52  

Height: 5'5"

amber - on wards and upwards. good for you for working it off!

ollie - (friendly debate coming ;-)) while im sure you are correct as to the original derivative of the word... there are a lot of words that originally meant one thing and now, at this point in our culture signify something different so I am not totally convinced by the historical argument. however I do appreciate the time, effort, skill and educational level that comes with a Phd. Im all for Ms. Ollie Ollie, Phd. if you will... or saying you have a doctorate... just for some reason introducing yourself as a "doctor" seems somewhat misleading to me because I'd imagine 80% of the population would assume you meant a medical doctor. If someone yelled into a crowd of people "Is there a doctor in the house?" would you raise your hand? I tend to think they are looking for a medical doctor, to treat an emergent situation and would be quite POd if someone shouted "Yes, me I'm a doctor!" and then came over to the scene and was like oh... wait actually I have my PHd in ancient languages... can't help you."

But like I said I am totally biased coming from a medical family and I infact have family members that are PHds and are addressed as "Doctor" at work and in their mailings, phone convos etc and while it doesn't ever bug me enough to do anything about it I secretly think (no youre not!) in my head. haha. Anyways.... just a personal opinion! Maybe if i had a Phd and not a JD (almost) i'd feel differently... because I really dont think a JD = doctor!

remember- haha that is so funny you say that around family and friends. i tell them all they have to address me as my first name, jd. joking of course!

thanks for the comments on the costume too.... i know im a little scared haha but my costume last year I added stretch pants to so after I try it on I will see if I need to add some fabric anywhere!
ideas for halloween - greek goddess, gold digger (dress all in gold, bring plastic shovel spraypainted gold), pirate, a pregnant nun (hehe) adam and eve )if you have someone else to dress up with). um... ill think of more...
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Ollie: Thanks for the compliment on my skin! Did you think I showed a little too much of it? lol..

As far as the doctor debate goes, I'm in my fourth year of school, but my sister is working on her doctorate in psychology. And, all I have to say is anyone who has worked that hard to recieve that high of a degree has every right to be called doctor. I couldn't imagine not calling my proffessors at school by doctor, I would find it very disrespectful.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #54  

Height: 5'9"

I've always called my professors by Professor and not Dr. It is important to note that most all of my professors in college had their law degree.

My boyfriend and I are going as He-man and She-ra. I'm having the hardest time finding a sewing pattern for my she-ra dress, though.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 162/160/145

Height: 5'8"

Speaking of doctors (Phd.s) I just had a terrible interaction with one of mine. I woke up this morning at 9 am. This was the time my first exam of the year (neuro challenges with adults) was starting. And I have an hour commute. So I was officially an hour late for the exam. I was mortified. It was everything I could do to not cry through the test. Now all I want is a drink and lots of food. (would love a cigarette too but I quit a month ago!) Aghhh!!!! Wish me luck being strong today!
carmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #56  
change

Freddy A couple quick points about your argument. A) When one has a PhD, it can be assumed said person is intelligent. Ergo, would not run up and shout "I'm a doctor!" in an emergency. B) Also, and keeping with the intelligent theme and stretching it to include common sense, most people with PhDs introduce themselves as Dr. Jane Doe when it is appropriate e.g. in settings of academia, political scenes, conferences, interviews, etc., etc.; not in situations where it is inappropriate like a family reunion, vacation, restaurant, party, or other situations where it might be considered pompous C) the argument of being pompous is completely ad hominem and should be disregarded. D) I love friendly debates, do know that this is all in good jest

Casey No, no, no...if I had skin like that, I would have gone all out nude. I'm rather a pale person and my skin is thin, veiny; never been one of my attributes. You're skin is gorgeous! Question. How long did it take you to shed 20 pounds? I'm new to this and would like to set a realistic goal, I've yet to do that.

Carly That sucks!!! Don't smoke! I just celebrated my two-year quit anniversary and thirty pounds later, am now here with you all! I commend you for quitting and watching your diet and exercise simultaneously. When I quit I joined an online community Quitnet. IT helped so much, that when it was time to shed the weight, I looked for an online weight-loss community. Ta-da!

August your costume makes me want to drink. Good stuff.

I found myself doing ankle and lower leg Pilates in class today under my desk. I suppose it it true, once you start exercising, you want to do it all the time. Yeah, yeah, do it all the time, yeah, yeah. Gotta get back to the grind. I'll post a recipe real quick though.

Last edited by ollie27; 09-26-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #57  
change

Thumbs up lentil soup

* 2 tblsp olive oil
* 2 large onions, cubed
* 1 tsp. give or take minced garlic
* 3 carrots, diced
* green bell; red bell, diced
* 2 stalks celery, diced
* 3 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
* 1 1/2 cups lentils - soaked, rinsed and drained
* salt n pepper to taste ( I use white pepper also)
* 1 cup white wine
* 2-3 bay leaves
* 7 cups vegetable stock (I use organic)
* 1 sprig fresh parsley, chopped
* 1/2 tsp paprika

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large stockpot, saute the onions in oil until they are glossy. Stir in garlic, paprika, celery, carrots, and saute for 10 minutes.
2. Once the vegetables have sauteed for 10 minutes stir in tomatoes, stock, lentils, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir, then add the wine and bring the mixture to a boil. Slowly reduce the heat and cook for 1 hour on low to medium heat; or until the lentils are tender.
3. Sprinkle the soup with parsley (optional) before serving.

**Vegetables do not have to be sauteed, you can throw everything in and cook, will need to cook a little longer, but it all depends on how you do the things you do.
**I like everything I eat to be spicy, so I always add a can of Rotel. Sometimes if I want it heartier, I'll add red potatoes (skin left on of course). The white wine gives this soup its flavor. If you wait to add this until after it boils, you will have more of a white wine flavor. Your choice. Depending how thick you like your soup, eye the stock. Tomato paste can be added for thickness. Really yummy served with a small piece of French bread.
**add and subtract as many vegetables as you like!
**prettier with mulit-colored lentils, which I only soak for about thirty minutes prior to cooking.
**less than 300 cal per serving and high in fiber!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #58  

casey - interesting! i always called my professors "Professor," even if they had an advanced degree.

amber - cute costume idea!

carmez- sorry you were late! i hate that feeling!

ollie- (I love friendly debates - hello law school lol) To each his own I guess ;-) I do find it interesting that it seems to be the population (here) which has or is pursuing a PHd to be the segment who thinks doctor is a must! Also, curious about geographical location... I am a california native and I know from my college stint that the east coast tends to be much more formal with titles (ie my roomates friends who had known her 18+ years still called her parents mr and mrs X while i've been calling my parents friends by their first names since I was about 5. (at their request and vice versa with my friends and my parents). My dad never introduces himself as doctor unless he is at work. Anyways like I said - personal preference, to each his own! I wouldnt call a person with a Phd doctor, but that is me.

on a completley unrelated note - im eating great today and have great spirits! goal -here i come!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 162/160/145

Height: 5'8"

Ollie,

How long did your cig cravings last? Do you find that you've had more cravings to smoke when you diet? I know I used to spend a lot of time smoking when I was actually snacky in the past and was actually quite thin then. But I'm doing this the healthy way this time...

Carly
carmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #60  

dreamer- congrats! bye bye 190s!